PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-17-2004, 10:25 PM #1
AngelBoy

has been a member for 10 years
yep.... the epic chopped

Played with it all day today, and probably had 3 or 4 chops. Not barrel breaks... there was paint in the elbow and all inside the breach. I stuck my finger in it and shot, and it hurt like a mother. Any ideas as to what would be wrong?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2004, 07:03 AM #2
Spartan X
Unbanned

Spartan X is a Supporting Member
You prolly had defective paint. What is the history behind the paintballs? What loader and what FPS were you shooting?

Old Feedback

My Lifestyle Determines My Deathstyle.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 AM #3
suprtpr

suprtpr is a Supporting Member
Check your front ball detent, I had a problem with mine being too far out. It should be loose enough that when you put pressure on it it goes flush with the inside of the breach. If it is too high carefully take the gripframe off and adjust it. There are two detents, but only the front one moves.
You also probally want to clean the trapdoor. Any paint or oil will cause the trapdoor to stick and work slowly. If the trapdoor isn't fully closed when you pull the trigger then part of the burst of air that is ment to propel to paintball will go up the feedneck and bust balls causing a soupy mess in you hopper and feedneck. You should only put a few drops of oil on the trapdoor rod not the trapdoor itself. Be sure to wipe up any extra oil that might get on the trapdoor, being derilin is self-lubericating it does not need any oil.
And about putting you finger in the breach, all I can say is grow some balls. The trapdoor hardly puts any pressure when it closes, it is the burst of highpressure air rushing out that you feel. Even though the manual clearly states not to put your finger in the feed, everyone does it when they first get an Epic. It doesn't hurt, it just suprises you at how much force the air has. There is about 450 psi coming out when the Epic fires.
One more thing that you might want to know, is that there is a bolt that goes into the back of the grip-frame. This is the transfer valve, it must be set right to cycle properly. It should be 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn out from fully turned in. If it isn't right you will have problems.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:33 AM #4
AngelBoy

Was using a 12v revvy, shooting around 270fps, and input pressure was set to around 650 I believe. The paint was a little bit old, but was not busting in any of the mags, angels, or even spyders that was also using the same paint. As far as it hurting my finger.... it bled, dont tell me to grow some balls. Its not like I dont know what it should have felt like, Ive done that hundreds of times.

I will check the detent, and the bolt.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:26 AM #5
Spartan X
Unbanned

The trap dorr you say hurt your finger...humm somthings wrong here...

Old Feedback

Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 PM #6
BraveSirRobin

Are you using very brittle paint? If you still have some, drop it from (i think) waist level. It should take 3-4 times if it is good. I once bought paint that broke instantly when dropped from the top of a picnic table to the bench of the picnic table. Well, long story short, if I had cleaned my barrel on every break, I would have spent more time cleaning my barrel than playing paintball. But I own a spyder. When you buy paint, keep in mind that the "high-performance" paint is designed for guns that have a chamber pressure of about 100 psi plus a little more pressure from the force of a bolt, such as a mag, or angel. I don't think epics have that low of an operating pressure. So if I were you, I would try to find non-deformed paint with a tough shell. I'm lucky because stores sell that kind of paint for 30 bucks a case where I live, so yay for me.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 PM #7
p8ntball72

you need a TRAP DOOR kit..
Ice has a kit that has 6 differant size doors for paint to breech match.
what is happening is that the ball is lose in the breech and breaks from turbulance.
the way you check the fit is..

1. take off feedneck and unhook door from the rod.
2. place ball in breech and slide the door back and forth

the door must push the ball slightly forward, but not past the front detent.

as for the door hurting your finger..its spos to be 3 pounds of pressure...do you think its more?

if all else fails call insight..
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM #8
AngelBoy

The paint I was using was huge, think that might have had something to do with it? I was having to use like a .695 freak insert.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:56 AM #9
Spartan X
Unbanned

paint that big is usually bad.....do you know how old it was?

Old Feedback

Old 04-24-2004, 11:54 PM #10
foursquare92101

instead of trouble shooting the gun, you could just save yourself the time and.... get a real gun... my 2 cents... yes there always needed so stfu
Old 04-25-2004, 09:38 AM #11
AngelBoy

Because this gun has worked better than any Angel, cocker, defiant, or mag I have ever owned? Yeah, I think thats the reason, even if it did chop a few times. Leave our forums *******.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:42 PM #12
Spartan X
Unbanned

I will not go on saying the epic is better then any other gun or that it works betetr then any other gun. But it has it's place in the market, though it be small.

If you must send it to Jim and he will get it shootin *****n

Old Feedback

Old 05-18-2004, 12:14 PM #13
MagRippa214

as far as i have seen, the epic is crap. my friend sam had the same wierd chopping problem. and it had crazy breaks in everything, wasnt consistent, and was a hog. epic blows, the alien will be nice though
Old 05-18-2004, 01:49 PM #14
Spartan X
Unbanned

What year whats it? The first few modles has problems.

Alien?? Totally diff man. Besides if you think the epic can chop...the alien is a RAM riven trap door, that can KILL a ball. Plusd he will only be able to make one run of the boltless guns before he gets sued.

Old Feedback

Old 05-19-2004, 08:50 AM #15
AngelBoy

Its brand new, serial is like 324 or something. So its not an earlier model. Its still a good gun even if it did chop a few times.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:04 PM #16
Spartan X
Unbanned

Are you SAM?

Old Feedback

Old 05-26-2004, 10:23 PM #17
KaS_m

Maybe this is a little late, but just wanted to weigh in since I have been mentioned.

I am the "SAM" that MagRippa214 mentioned, not AngelBoy, and let me say that despite the things he's said, I do not share his opinion on the Epic.

Although it has not worked for me yet, I have recently shipped my marker back to the factory for repair (the exhaust valve was leaking bad), and I'm looking forward to getting back a working marker.

From the little I saw of my Epic, it was loud, but very small and light; the trigger wasn't very nice, but its a mech gun after all and seemed accurate despite the constant leak while I was shooting it.

The time MagRippa mentioned when it "chopped", I was just pissed at the leak and my broken N2 tank, and so I screwed in a CO2 tank in freezing weather and shortstroked the gun about a million times in a row as fast as I could. By the end, I was shooting liquid paint like a squirtgun. When I opened the hopper, almost every ball I had had inside was broken and it was paint soup.

My theory about this incident is that shortstroking the gun while sucking liquid CO2 caused the trapdoor to not close all the way, and the massive blowback broke the balls in my hopper. Incidentally, I also experienced the worst shootdown I'd ever seen, but I can blame this on the shortstroking and CO2 also.

In short, mea culpa, not the gun's fault.

oh, BTW, about the alien - I sincerely hope that Jack isn't forced to shut down his operation, the alien looks like one of the coolest markers i've seen in a long time.

Jack's theory is that since most of his marker's design is substantially different from the Epic's, and the trapdoor seals from the side instead of inline, he's in the clear.

Unfortunately, the language of Jim's patent specifies a marker which uses a "flat partition" to seal the breech - and if that's to be taken literally, he's got Jack there.

If Jim shuts Jack down, his E-Epic better make it damn worth it...

Last edited by KaS_m : 05-26-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 PM #18
Spartan X
Unbanned

LOL, also don'r wory, Jack is making a normal bolt action gun to.

Old Feedback