PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2004, 06:13 PM #1
MakrsMark

Scepter Windrunner Sniper Rifle

Has anyone heard what's going on with this? I read on their site that the release was planned for x-mas 04, but I haven't seen anything, anywhere, which leads me to believe that it's not going to happen. Any of you guys no anything?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2004, 08:18 PM #2
Zbollman
Stock Class

has been a member for 10 years
i don't see anything about it on their site, could you give me a link?
VSC Duckslide phantom
Spitfire
"Originally posted by Chuck Norris: Pump Paintball is the sign of a true man, I play all the time!"
PayPal Verified
Old 12-11-2004, 08:15 AM #3
MakrsMark

sure thing, i'll find some
Old 12-11-2004, 08:18 AM #4
MakrsMark

http://www.scepter-combat.com/

click on "markers" at the bottom of the page and it will bring up the windrunner sniper, a shotgun their working on, a grenade launcher etc.

http://24thpbgrenadiers.sytes.net/m...viewtopic&p=169

http://renegade-rangers.com/phpbb/vi...=asc&start= 0
Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 PM #5
Zbollman
Stock Class

ohhhh, i thought you meant the scepter barrel system, so i looked on powerlyte's website. i'm a dumass.
VSC Duckslide phantom
Spitfire
"Originally posted by Chuck Norris: Pump Paintball is the sign of a true man, I play all the time!"
PayPal Verified
Old 12-12-2004, 06:31 AM #6
siloseven

ok,

since you guys have seen them as well, i need to see if I'm reading this correctly.

what do they claim as the shooting range on this marker? and do you think it is a typo? (unless they changed it, and now I look like a fool)
Old 12-12-2004, 08:33 AM #7
Utilis01

Dude......... thats awesome. Looks like something from Armotech (sp?). A bit on the heavy side, but if those stats are right (only 10" groupiong at 150-200feet)......
Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 AM #8
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
The marker isn't built yet. They are still working on the launchers at the moment but that is their goal. Just remember they are going to make it with a bolt action and 10 round capacity.

Originally I said I wouldn't have one. But considering this past weekend I would pick one up for scenario games where I could use it for Anti-Tank work.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:31 PM #9
Silence
BLUAWAGABA

Bolt action... I hope they add enough range to make that worth while. Like flatline or hop-up + 50ft.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 PM #10
Brophog

There will be a hopup.

But the thing that most forget on these range debates is that this is still paintball and breaks still matter. Because of that, you're still limited to impact force, which is the downfall of any range modified barrel designs.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:28 PM #11
HipboyScott
OMGWTFBBQGRASS

I still think it should have simulated recoil, just for the heck of it.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:37 PM #12
Silence
BLUAWAGABA

If you're going to so drastically limit someone's ROF and capacity to ten rounds with bolt action... then they better have some way of out ranging all the other guns on the market. Snipers need distance in the real world because their guns can't handle a firefight - that doesn't change in paintball. If you want to ambush someone from under a ghillie suit that's fine, but you always have the option of firing more then 10 shots, even with a pump, and in scenario as we all know groups tend to run larger than one person.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:04 PM #13
HipboyScott
OMGWTFBBQGRASS

dude, its not a matter of their guns not surviving a firefight, or whatever. They don't even need the distance sometimes, some snipers end-up well-witihin a hundred yards of a target.

Snipers choose bolt-action rifles for their extreme accuraccy and stability over semi-autos.

in fact, true snipers crawl around on the ground, with an M16 or L85, with their sniper-rifle in a drag-bag behind them. They use that assaultrifle in a firefight if they have too, but they rarely do. When they get into position they pull out their rifle, make their shots, then put it away and go home.

The windrunner would probably be used as a long-range primary, where the sniper would have at least a zeus-type pistol (or probably the Scepter Mini-Uzi) for a backup in a battle, when the windrunner would be quite unsuitable.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:09 PM #14
MakrsMark

I agree with Hipboy above, but what if the windrunner can get modified somehow to make it a primary? I guess it'll all depend on the ultimate product, if it ever arrives.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:17 PM #15
HipboyScott
OMGWTFBBQGRASS

it will be bolt-action only, with no way to really modify it.

It could be a primary, sure...I mean people play pump all the time. But it would be a hellaciously heavy.

The only thing that it's really for is for when you have a target, he probably doesn't know you are there (and definitely doesn't know where you specifically are) and for when you need to have a precision shot; where you'd want a bi-pod, or some brace to asure it's as accurate as possible with as little human error as possible.

In essense, it's for someone who has probably been using a pump or phantom, and uses a stock and other stuff...and just wants to bring some factor of OMG WTF to the enemy team when he's got this giant cannon of a rifle.

Last edited by HipboyScott : 12-12-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:38 PM #16
Brophog

You forgot to mention this person needs $500 dollars of money sitting around and popeye arms to move this thing around.......
Old 12-12-2004, 02:55 PM #17
Silence
BLUAWAGABA

I'm just thinking of the scenarios I've been too, and the fact that nearly all of the time I have a group of more than ten people around me. Which means that the sniper is on a suicide mission if he decides to take a shot. He can't just "take the shot and go home", because he'd have to take the shot from so close that we'd be guaranteed to get him.

I guess that's the case with most snipers, though. Takes a rare skill to be able to pull it off. This marker might appeal to that niche, but then again unless it has a marked advantage over what's already available (accuracy, distance), it'll just be a showpiece.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:25 PM #18
Robotech

Again, if more scenario games allow "anti-tank rifles" this is just the ticket. Ball breaks are no longer a concern...you're firing against the "hard armor" of the tank so a ball that can hit you and bounce at that range more than likely will still break on the tank. The extended range is then benificial because you can take a shot on the tank beyond the EFFECTIVE range of the tank's return fire. Also, being further away will make you more difficult to spot.

I had this marker this weekend at a Black Cat Scenario game...

It held only 6 rounds, had to be fired one shot per second, and could not be used against infantry. Five tanks in 3 hours with only one elmination for me...(while I was going for what would have been my sixth tank of the day. While trying to get a ref the other team moved up on our position and I got hit trying to get a bead on the tank.)

So, in THAT situation if more games allow such rules then the Windrunner would rock. Otherwise...there's no point. I'll take a WS-66 with a Q-loader and semi-auto thank you. Same range and a much higher ROF if the kaa-kaa really hits the fan.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:37 PM #19
Brophog

That is an EXCELLENT point Robo.........

It would be a devastating anti-tank weapon, because as you said, you would gain the extra range against the armor of most tanks.

Now, can you shoot accurately enough to take advantage of it?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:41 PM #20
Robotech

Regulate it and yes you can. A tank is a pretty big target. This past weekend I put two shots from a position through a door...out a carport...and to one side of a tree...Combined the three items and I had about a 1' wide "window" to take 2 shots at a range of 45-65 feet against a moving target. Got them both. Had another tank elimination from about 110 feet...at 260 fps might I add.

Last edited by Robotech : 12-12-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM #21
HipboyScott
OMGWTFBBQGRASS

alright. For those who've been wanting a bolt-action mega cannon for christmas, you'r gonna have a small wait on your hands. I surmise that there's some small bugs that need to be fixed.