Old 02-15-2020, 04:20 PM #1
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
John owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Post Paintball Gear of the Year: 2019 Edition - winners announced!

With Paintball Extravaganza looming, we are about to see a lot of paintball gear that probably won't hit the market for months. As much as I love new gear, I like tried and tested equipment more.

In 2018 the Planet Eclipse Emek was obviously a game-changer. I'll make it official and call it the PbNation gun of the year. I still firmly believe every paintball player should own one. It's an amazing rental, rec-ball gun, backup or marker that can sit in any player's bag and be instantly ready to go. Infamous even won the last ICPL (NXL Classic) 10-man event shooting mostly Emeks. They simply work.

I reached out to Industry professionals, pro players, internet loudmouths and generally smart or well-connected paintball people to see what their favorite gear was of all of 2019. I also asked people here on PbNation and on social media. I didn't limit it to just markers. I asked them all privately what gear that aren't sponsored to use, didn't make, or weren't involved with but wish they were. I asked people within the industry what do they wish they made/sold/serviced? I asked professional players what piece of gear do they wish they used?

I also took it one step further and asked, were there any great events in 2019 that raised the bar? Or simply what was the best event you attended or you heard about this year? How about any exceptional fields?

Lastly, were there any teams (pro, divisional, rec or scenario) you think deserve more recognition for their efforts?

There were a couple clear winners, some blatant self-promotion (which was mostly discarded) and a few surprise opinions. I was shocked at how few products were mentioned and how many people mentioned other aspects of the game. I would love for you to weigh in on these choices and give us all some of your own. What do you support? What did we miss?

If I didn't ask you personally, my bad. Please use this opportunity to post what you would have submitted. If you're sponsored or part of the industry, message it to me. Even if you are not particularly connected but feel you would have had some insightful input, please post it below and I'll check this thread before I do this again and add some people to get opinions beforehand.

Gun of the Year: Planet Eclipse Emek MG100 or EMG100
MagFed paintball markers are notoriously unreliable. Or at least they were. Planet Eclipse took their incredible Emek and turned it into the most reliable MagFed marker ever. The EMG100 is also capable of being quickly transformed into a hopper-fed marker in seconds and is PAL enabled so you can even use the battery-less PAL hopper on it. It can shoot First Strike or normal round paintballs and even the springs and followers for the magazines are well thought out and innovative.

Lots of people nominated the Emek (but it came out in 2018), but the EMG100 takes the Emek to the next level and really deserves this year's award.

The Adrenaline Shocker and CS2 Twister get honorable mention just for being so extra. The Twister version of the CS2 sold out instantly like it was made by Supreme and within hours they were worth more on the used market than they sold for as new. The Adrenaline Shockers are so over the top when it comes to attention to detail, stock parts replaced and the extras that came with the guns.

Events of the Year: NXL World Cup and Iron City Classic (ICC)
Two events came up almost every time. NXL World Cup and the 3rd Annual Iron City Classic. If you could only attend one event, it should be World Cup. It has more people, more vendors, an incredible atmosphere, new products being released and a dozen different competitions to enter and play.

However, Tim Montressor's 10-man mechanical Iron City Classic is an incredible achievement but a very different animal. 2019's ICC event sold out in an incredible 20 minutes and they chose to subsequently allow in more teams. Amazingly, the entire event still ran on time like clockwork thanks to Tim's attention to detail. The event saw legends of paintball playing, competing and laughing in an open division that features all manner of skill levels from current pros to tournament novices.

Booth of the year HK Army at NXL World Cup
They killed it. They treated it like it was World Cup back in the day before the internet took over and released anything and everything. Want possibly the best looking CS2 of all time? Want a new magnetic pack? How about cleats? They had what felt like a dozen new products in stock and ready to sell.

Goggle of the Year: Bunkerking CMD
The Kickstarter that launched the CMD was next level amazing. People really got on board and it exceeded all expectations. The goggles themselves delivered what was promised and are well-made and look good, but the launch really was something special.

Comeback of the Year: Sandana and JT
Sandana has one of the most interesting and straight crazy histories in paintball that it is almost mythical. Some of their pieces sell used for nothing and some sell for literally over a thousand dollars. Their designs are still been blatantly bootlegged to this day. They are so well known that a generic headwrap is commonly referred to as a "Sandana." The new owner, Marc Henry, scooped up the brand, made it more official and has managed to release new products that immediately sell out. He's also managed to parlay his newfound notoriety into playing professionally first with Elevation and now Seattle Thunder.

JT, on the other hand, takes iconic to a whole new level. They were the #1 paintball brand for years, but they've been neglected in recent years and even demoted to the Splatmaster or Wal-Mart brand. However, San Antonio Xfactor really deserves credit for putting JT back on the map and getting people excited about the brand again. Xfactor looked good in JT and it doesn't hurt that they had their best season ever.

Team of the Year: San Antonio Xfactor
It's no surprise that lots of people mentioned a top professional team, much less the team that won the NXL Pro Series title and two events. San Antonio Xfactor hasn't won a single NXL event until 2019, so to win two and the series title is an outstanding achievement. Xfactor also managed to almost single-handedly bring the JT brand back from the grave. Xfactor and Russian Legion were by far the two teams mentioned the most.

Region of the year: The great state of Texas
OK, I didn't even ask this as a question. However, people over and over mentioned Texas as a paintball hot spot. Xfactor and AC Dallas are obviously from there (Houston Heat, despite the name is not) but this wasn't just about pro paintball. Fields like Xfactor and Paintball Fit as well as programs like AC's and Texas Phallanx deserve more attention as they make Texas one of the most competitive paintball regions. Paintball Fit's teams deserve an additional mention as they absolutely killed it in the divisionals this year in the NXL.

One person put it particularly well, "Texas in 2019 has a similar vibe to Southern California of the late 90s, in the volume of high-quality players and teams being created in the region. Driven heavily by the teams - but also local field owners, tournament organizers and industry participation."

Retailer of the Year: ANS Gear
Love them or hate them, ANS is simply on another level. They have more products, more space, more videos, better social media, a killer retail store and Rory is even a full-fledged internet personality now. They started small and have grown every year until they are the undisputed king of paintball retail.

Lone Wolf deserves special mention. Joe and Tony have been straight hustling. They've really transcended being a local field with their videos and new online store.

Program of the Year: Team USA
Anthony Vitale from Boston Paintball launched the Paintball Combine 15 years ago in Boston, but 2019 was the first time he and his crew were involved with Team USA as well. Team USA has only entered a team of pros, who were also the players who happened to already be playing the event in other divisions. The States have never entered a Masters, U16, U19 or Women's team until 2019. Tryouts were held at the 2019 Combine and teams were selected for every division except U16. Every team was competitive and medaled and Team USA won the women's 3-man - below the overall goal but an auspicious start to a new program.

Breakout Videographer: Simon Stevens of Inception Designs
Ok, so Simon isn't a traditional videographer in any way and if I was to predict Simon to make this list, I would have guessed it would be for his new Rip frame for Autocockers (it's outstanding). However, Simon's live footage and commentary of Classic Paintball events has been both tenacious and a fun way for people who missed the event to still catch some of the action. It's no secret that his footage (and obviously his Autocockers) have helped with the Classic and mechanical revival.

Where were my responses the weakest? Scenario was underrepresented for sure. My personal favorite scenario field is Sherwood Forest and my favorite event was Living Legends 12 at Legacy Paintball. I also didn't hear much back about individual fields that are trying new things, opening crazy new fields or pushing how we play paintball. Xtreme Paintball in St Louis is exceptional for many reasons like their crazy 3-story Shipyard field. Paintball Explosion also has impressive fields. But who is running new types of fun rec games, new scenarios or new tournaments?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2020, 05:37 PM #2
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 posts videos on PbNation
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Not sure I agree with this whole list, but it is mostly spot on. Dont agree at all with Team USA being the "program" of the year. Don't know how they can be when the AC camp was able to consistent be at the top of NXL pro and beat down the entire SP division to win a second pro spot. Not to count a great showing in the Mech world.

And I mean come on man. What a shill answer to say Simon was videographer of the year lol. That category should be awarded to a legitimate videographer like Quitski or Cucuzza or Pineapple, or Matt Dunn that is doing theatrical level work. Or better yet, to the guy who runs GoSports webcast? They do phenomenal.

Last edited by tweeter4 : 02-15-2020 at 05:41 PM.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 PM #3
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Breakout videographer =/= videographer of the year. Sure, Simon's one of us. He's a great friend, and a great guy. He also stepped up big time in running video of games where others weren't present to bring us mech-format event video. And near as I can tell, he's a one-man operation doing that. None of us expected him to be doing that, and he's doing really good work without any real support.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:51 PM #4
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
While I agree with most categories; however, I agree that AC should be the program of the year.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:11 PM #5
HKnelly

of course its ans gear whos number one!
congratts to every one
HKnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:07 AM #6
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
Breakout videographer =/= videographer of the year. Sure, Simon's one of us. He's a great friend, and a great guy. He also stepped up big time in running video of games where others weren't present to bring us mech-format event video. And near as I can tell, he's a one-man operation doing that. None of us expected him to be doing that, and he's doing really good work without any real support.
But again, if you are going to call it a category for a videographer, than pick a videographer.

Same logic as if there was a category for breakout player of the year, I wouldnt expect a D4/5 player to be picked out of anyone there is. Same way I wouldn't say "gun of the year" and then pick a Walmart blowback.

I mean damn, we did all see the stuff that Dylan Fout put out this year right? No one really heard of him and then he started getting out this amazing perspective and new style of paintball content for match coverage.

All Im saying is, if you are going to do "of the year" awards, award the most deserving, not the shill awards. I love that Simon covers mech events too but its just a guy with an iphone, not a videographer.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:02 AM #7
JOESPUD27
Merc

JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
 is playing at Living Legends XI
JOESPUD27 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
CMD was a 2018 start, with 2019 ship date. Guess that counts.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 AM #8
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
Breakout videographer =/= videographer of the year.

None of us expected him to be doing that, and he's doing really good work without any real support.
Yeah, people called him videographer of the year, but I couldn't make myself put that. However, I think I understood what they meant. He's doing something no one else has really done and stepped it up this last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
While I agree with most categories; however, I agree that AC should be the program of the year.
I can 100% see that and I certainly would have been behind it if more people had brought it up. I think they are a big part of why Texas was awarded the regional award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKnelly View Post
of course its ans gear whos number one!
congratts to every one
ANS is nuts. They are next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
I mean damn, we did all see the stuff that Dylan Fout put out this year right? No one really heard of him and then he started getting out this amazing perspective and new style of paintball content for match coverage.
Dylan killed it. I think we introduced a lot of people to him by uploading his work before anyone had really seen it. However, no one mentioned him.

I knew Simon would be a controversial pick, but he was brought up a lot by almost every (or possibly every) group I asked. He was far from a shill pick. In fact, he was one of the most popular picks. What's more, very few others were mentioned at all and I don't think anyone was mentioned by several people, much less several groups.

I'm glad you're passionate about these picks and if we got all but two right, we did pretty well. I'll make sure to hit you up next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
CMD was a 2018 start, with 2019 ship date. Guess that counts.
Yeah, the EMG100 was the same. It was shown off at the 2018 World Cup but didn't actually come out until 2019.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM #9
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Dylan killed it. I think we introduced a lot of people to him by uploading his work before anyone had really seen it. However, no one mentioned him.

I knew Simon would be a controversial pick, but he was brought up a lot by almost every (or possibly every) group I asked. He was far from a shill pick. In fact, he was one of the most popular picks. What's more, very few others were mentioned at all and I don't think anyone was mentioned by other people, much less other groups.

I'm glad you're passionate about these picks and if we got all but two right, we did pretty well. I'll make sure to hit you up next year.

It is what it is. Id love to give my opinion next year. Actually thankful you guys featured Dylan because I never heard of him before you and his style instantly became one of my all time favorites behind Pat and Quittman
Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM #10
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
It is what it is. Id love to give my opinion next year. Actually thankful you guys featured Dylan because I never heard of him before you and his style instantly became one of my all time favorites behind Pat and Quittman
I got lucky and saw his first paintball video when it only had a couple hundred views and instantly offered to help promote it for free. I love his style and love that it doesnít look like other paintball videos. Heís one of those guys with so much talent and potential. I canít wait to see what heís going to do next. But I tried not to make this just about what I personally like and I didnít make any leading suggestions on who should win in any category.

I actually expected people to argue about near every choice. Honestly, thatís part of the fun of this. I like seeing other peopleísí opinions and hearing about products that I wouldnít have considered. Everyoneís experience in this is different and this gives people a chance to voice them.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 AM #11
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Yay! An Award! Thanks!

(Your cheque is in the post... )

Really enjoyed this, John, and thanks for asking my opinion on some of these categories.

I really wouldn't mind if you came up with a defined list of categories and this became an annual thing. I think the question about Simon's award could maybe have been avoided if it was titled Best Media Contribution, or something, as opposed to videographer. Maybe a category for each next year?
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 AM #12
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Fair. Looking back, I don’t think I asked about videography at all. People just volunteered Simon’s work. I am not sure any title to it would have made people happy. The categories I asked you were pretty much all the categories I asked. People just volunteered more answers.

And you guys deserve the credit and more. The Emek and EMG100 are both beyond outstanding and your peers know it. Keep it up.

(Insert LV2 2020 joke here)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 AM #13
AlWoods
In your 30

AlWoods works for a Paintball manufacturer
 owns a Planet Eclipse CS Impact
AlWoods owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Sweet! Love this.

But yep, I'm on board with the videographer comments too I'm afraid John.

This section should be split into different media categories. I mean, George Fava should be getting the George Fava award for his outstanding contribution to George Fava-ness. Photographers, videographers, broadcasters... they should all be recognised IMO.

Good stuff!

If you love FREE paintball videos then head over here > > >Planet Eclipse YouTube Channel < < < and SUBSCRIBE

Just call me Mr. 100mil.
AlWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 AM #14
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a founding member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life is Legendary
Nice
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:37 PM #15
BostonDolFan81

BostonDolFan81 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Simon deserves it for his Facebook posts alone the guy is pure magic.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 PM #16
BostonDolFan81

BostonDolFan81 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Well written content like this supporting good vendors who are trying to grow the sport is why you’re the best. &#x270a;
Old 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM #17
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
Nice
lmao. Love the analysis Nick!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:41 PM #18
PBSales

I think I was the first to recommend Simon (and No. John never asked). It was a random thought. I was just showing appreciation for the effort Simon gives to the mech guys.

Are Simon's videos, taken by a shaky iPhone the best? Of course not.

BUT.

Simon is giving us something new. He is telling us what is going on and asking players questions. There is an interaction.

There is no music!!!!!!!!!!! We can hear the game. We can hear the players. It is not the same video we have been watching over and over again for YEARS. (I am not hating but C'mon. They are all pretty much the same)

With that being said, I still stand behind mentioning Simon just for giving ME something new.
PBSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 PM #19
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlWoods View Post
Sweet! Love this.

But yep, I'm on board with the videographer comments too I'm afraid John.

This section should be split into different media categories. I mean, George Fava should be getting the George Fava award for his outstanding contribution to George Fava-ness. Photographers, videographers, broadcasters... they should all be recognised IMO.

Good stuff!
Et tu, Brute? There were no media categories... Simon won 100% on write in votes. His work basically created a whole new category and no one else was even nominated. I don't think even you nominated George Farva.... Of course I probably would have had to discard it because he works for Eclipse. But I admit, he does awesome work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
Nice
Lol. I give you some personal credit on the JT side playing for Xfactor. You guys did JT proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDolFan81 View Post
Simon deserves it ...
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSales View Post
I think I was the first to recommend Simon (and No. John never asked). It was a random thought. I was just showing appreciation for the effort Simon gives to the mech guys.
I don't know if you were the first, but there were a bunch of you.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 AM #20
Simon
INCEPTION

Simon is a Mega Moderator
Simon works for a Paintball manufacturer
Simon is playing at Living Legends IX
Simon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Simon owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
I really appreciate the recognition but also agree that I am not a videographer. In fact my exact words to John when he mentioned the awards were "That's awesome but I hate to take away from the people that really are videographers "

My personal favorite is Nick Cucuzza. I love his work.

Quote:
I love that Simon covers mech events too but its just a guy with an iphone, not a videographer.
How dare you! I use an Android Pixel

In fact I am open to any suggestions on how to do live broadcast and record quality video at the same time. I tried a GoPro linked to the phone to capture via the GoPro but it wasn't a good solution and ate batteries. If anyone has an Android device that takes Micro SD and wants to donate it to the cause I am open to discussion. Obviously doing the videos I do is not my business, but I do it because I believe something important is happening and I want to help capture it and build it for the future of Paintball.

Really I am a paintball enthusiast trying to capture the essence and fun of competitive paintball in the classic format oh, and an engineer that makes some paintball stuff

Last edited by Simon : 02-19-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 AM #21
JOESPUD27
Merc

JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
 is playing at Living Legends XI
JOESPUD27 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Hail the the chief

Last edited by JOESPUD27 : 02-18-2020 at 09:44 AM.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.