Annual Supporting Member
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
John owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Scott Kemp joins San Diego Dynasty

He's back!

I talked to Scott and obviously he's excited:

"After 13 years of competing in professional paintball, I hung up the cleats in 2018 with the LA Ironmen. Not from a lack of passion or skill for the sport. But just focusing on building my career as a 30-year-old young adult. It felt it was time to “grow up.” In my 2 years of retirement, not a day went by where I didn’t think about it and miss it. Plus when half my friends still compete, it’s always popping up in my life. I didn’t really have intentions of coming back this year till about a month ago when I knocked the dust off and played paintball for the first time in 2 seasons. I am right me right back and it was like I never left! Man, the feeling of playing paintball is like nothing else in life! Only paintball people know what I’m talking about.

So after some practices with Dynasty and proving that I can still ball, I had to offer to join the squad for 2020! I’ve always been a Dynasty fan but the stars never aligned to play with them. Alex Fragie has been asking me for about 5 years to join the squad! And when I texted Rusty inviting myself to tryout last weekend. He replied, “I’ve been waiting 2 years for this text.” So here I’m, hungry as hell looking to take the podium with my boys in blue. Because life moves fast, and this opportunity won’t be around forever so I better take it now and give it my all."

Thread from when he last hung up his cleats: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5791945

Last edited by John : 02-07-2020 at 02:34 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2020, 11:04 AM #2
inertstatic

inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
HAWT DANG! Welcome back! Hope he sticks around.

Additional ebay feedback:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/ender_swift

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
inertstatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM #3
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
I’m guessing B Short to come back as well.
Collection Powered By Trademygun
Setups Powered by Powerhouse Regs!
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM #4
inertstatic

inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Maybe. I feel like that "retirement" was more permanent.

I would also be happy to see it happen.

Additional ebay feedback:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/ender_swift

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
inertstatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:22 AM #5
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Is alex fraige playing this year or is he stepping down?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM #6
Vissa

has been a member for 10 years
Amazing!!!
Vissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:24 PM #7
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 plays in the APPA D3 division
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertstatic View Post
Maybe. I feel like that "retirement" was more permanent.

I would also be happy to see it happen.
he probably has kicked his career work off enough to come back to paintball, is my assumption.

Playing for a reasonably local team that he is already good friends with just makes sense.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:26 PM #8
dubv187
Inglewood

dubv187 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dubv187 is an NCPA player
meh
Old 02-05-2020, 02:14 PM #9
MATTKBAN
Goa'n PSYcho Pballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
Is alex fraige playing this year or is he stepping down?
Don't think so. I know Greenspan has gone on to say they plan to quit together. I would like to see Alex get a lot more play time up the middle since Arod left.

Route4 P8NTBLR
MATTKBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:08 PM #10
jptothetree
Not on the rug, man

jptothetree plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
jptothetree owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jptothetree plays in the APPA D3 division
Dude needs to hit the gym once in a while, sheesh
Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 PM #11
Levena Action Sports

Sweet
Levena Action Sports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:03 PM #12
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTKBAN View Post
Don't think so. I know Greenspan has gone on to say they plan to quit together. I would like to see Alex get a lot more play time up the middle since Arod left.
Ryan and Alex (or the remaining Dynasty core) retiring is what will mark the "end of an era" in my mind. I'm not that close to the league and its players anymore but I've always been curious about the next generation and its ability to keep momentum.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM #13
L4sT_ReSOrT

One of the pioneers of fitness and paintball. Remember some of his older videos demonstrating paintball specific exercises.
L4sT_ReSOrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:14 PM #14
jtguy2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinJB View Post
Ryan and Alex (or the remaining Dynasty core) retiring is what will mark the "end of an era" in my mind. I'm not that close to the league and its players anymore but I've always been curious about the next generation and its ability to keep momentum.
Same, don't see the excitement anymore with current players or the NXL that the PSP and NPPL once held for me.
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:45 PM #15
L4sT_ReSOrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtguy2269 View Post
Same, don't see the excitement anymore with current players or the NXL that the PSP and NPPL once held for me.
Just from a spectator point of view and watching the 2019 World Cup the modern game seems one dimensional. Keep guns up on break and go to a back bunker then gun fight until a team has 1 player to concede the point. Sure you still have the occasional Smotrov-esque crazy move but it's not like the NPPL days.

I know that the NXL 150x120 dimension was designed to encourage faster play and back to back points but it seems to discourage movement. The NPPL 180x100 was a "slower" game point to point but it enabled frontline movement and therefore more interesting plays.

In my opinion NPPL is still the purest form of competitive speedball. 7 on 7 with a long field, larger bunkers, and semi-automatic. It's essentially woodsball stripped of its terrain and put on a regulated/standardized field.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 PM #16
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

Annual Supporting Member
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4sT_ReSOrT View Post
Just from a spectator point of view and watching the 2019 World Cup the modern game seems one dimensional. Keep guns up on break and go to a back bunker then gun fight until a team has 1 player to concede the point. Sure you still have the occasional Smotrov-esque crazy move but it's not like the NPPL days.

I know that the NXL 150x120 dimension was designed to encourage faster play and back to back points but it seems to discourage movement. The NPPL 180x100 was a "slower" game point to point but it enabled frontline movement and therefore more interesting plays.

In my opinion NPPL is still the purest form of competitive speedball. 7 on 7 with a long field, larger bunkers, and semi-automatic. It's essentially woodsball stripped of its terrain and put on a regulated/standardized field.
larger field won't matter, larger bunkers won't matter....Semi may help but there was no such thing once the electronic switch was coupled with a force fed hopper.

At the highest level everyone is too good.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 PM #17
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtguy2269 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinJB View Post
Could just be that the sport doesn’t have televised coverage anymore. I feel like seeing the players on television, added a lot more hype behind their personal names and team names. I mean, I learned about Kfed and Oliver Lang because of pb2xtremes tv coverage in 2004.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:57 PM #18
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I’d pay $20 to watch him arm wrestle Spesh.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM #19
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
John owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4sT_ReSOrT View Post
NPPL played a completely different format. But you should perhaps watch the World Cup finale again because I don't remember most the points playing out like that at all.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM #20
L4sT_ReSOrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJoker View Post
larger field won't matter, larger bunkers won't matter....Semi may help but there was no such thing once the electronic switch was coupled with a force fed hopper.
I'm not entirely convinced that force fed hoppers make the NPPL length useless given that LA Hitmen were competitive in D1 using pumps.

The NXL layout and format when compared to NPPL is designed to have fast back to back points. I understand the NXL is trying to make it a "sport" but the reality is paintball matches are simulated shootouts.

Longer field, more players, no ramping, no conceding points. This in my humble opinion makes for a more interesting game. I don't know if this format will ever return but if 10-man mech has proved anything it's that players love the classics.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:00 PM #21
whatdude?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
NPPL played a completely different format. But you should perhaps watch the World Cup finale again because I don't remember most the points playing out like that at all.
its boring
whatdude?! is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.