Deathwish_DW
Two Fat Guys Paintball

Deathwish_DW helped look for balloons
Deathwish_DW is playing at Living Legends III
Deathwish_DW is playing at Living Legends VIII
Deathwish_DW supports Team VICIOUS
Deathwish_DW is Legendary
Deathwish_DW supports DLX Technology
GI Sportz sues Valken - GI and Valken both speak out about lawsuit inside.

Quote:
G.I. SPORTZ SUES VALKEN INC. FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT

On October 13, 2016, G.I. Sportz (GI) filed a lawsuit against Valken Inc. (Valken) for breach of contract and infringement of GI’s Marballizer® trade dress (U.S. Reg. No. 3,049,101). The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.

This lawsuit stems from the breach of a contract that Gino Postorivo, President & CEO of Valken signed on May 20, 2014, which settled a previous Marballizer® trade dress lawsuit with KEE Action Sports (subsequently acquired by GI). In that settlement agreement (extract below), Valken agreed:

“it will not within the United States, and other territories where KEE has rights in the Marballizer Trade Dress, manufacture, cause to be manufactured, sell, market or distribute alone or in conjunction with others, the Subject Paintballs”

Despite this agreement, Valken decided to breach their commitment. Valken further ignored GI’s written request to honor their commitment and stop producing a product that clearly infringes on the Marballizer® products. In the end, GI was left with no other choice than to sue for breach of contract.

GI and its affiliates have spent decades investing both man-hours and money in the development of innovative paintball products, including its premier Marballizer® paintball brand and products. Over the years, GI has sought to protect these innovations and hard work through hundreds of patents and trademarks that have been issued globally. These iconic brands and products have allowed GI to create hundreds of jobs across the United States and invest in two state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in North America.

"Our country, our industry and our sport are all founded on the same governing principle: honoring your commitments,” said Richmond Italia, CEO of GI. “Our industry thrives on honest competition and GI will always stand up to protect our employees from those who seek to profit from dishonesty,” continued Richmond. “We will not stand idle or turn a blind eye to the dishonesty of our competitors, large or small, that seek to pass off the hard work of decades of our people as their own. We will not let these few bad apples belittle our sport’s spirit of fair play and honesty."

GI will always seek to protect the hard work of our current and former staff. We will not allow our proprietary products to be knocked-off by foreign or domestic companies, large or small. It is this GI commitment to the industry and its future growth that has created iconic paintball products that generations of paintballers have grown to love. We will never waiver from this commitment to our employees, customers and the industry.

For further information about this press release, please contact: David “Opie” Thomas or Billy Ceranski at (479) 254-3800 or (514) 339-1400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I spoke to Gino Postorivo, the owner of Valken, and had the opportunity to ask him a few questions.

Was the recent paintball lawsuit from GI Sportz really a surprise?
Gino - "It kind of was. We never did a deal with GI, just with KEE. KEE is a former paintball company. Years after a deal with KEE, we got a letter from GI with too few facts about GI Sportz assuming Kee’s agreements with us. We had resolved issues with KEE in the previous Kee lawsuit (brought by KEE, not us). In the settlement we never admitted liability or gave up our rights."

Briefly in your own words, what does this Marballizer lawsuit boil down to?
Gino - "Our lawyers are reviewing the lawsuit. The lawsuit will proceed and filings will be public."

Is there an answer to the lawsuit coming?
Gino - "Absolutely."

Have you ever sued another paintball company? About what?
Gino - "We don't go around suing, but we do enforce our rights, and we do fight back. A former company I owned did sue the National Paintball Association. This was way back when we were National Paintball Supply. We sued and won."

Didn't you sue Richmond Italia over the name Diablo?
Gino - "No! Our company opposed a trademark filing because another company tried to take over Diablo naming rights, which our company owned. We didn't sue. We won the opposition."

Did you tell anyone to go rate GI Sportz online?
Gino - "No. Absolutely not. I would never do that."

What do you think paintball companies can do better to grow the sport?
Gino - "We should be competing to provide the best quality products. We travel the world to talk to manufacturers and athletes to improve our products. That is how we fight for the industry and against games that compete with paintball. Lawsuits like this suit are a waste of time and resources."

What can players do better to improve paintball?
Gino - "Everyone has to be an ambassador to the sport all the time. And we shouldn't be posting pictures of welts! That's bad for paintball. It scares people away from playing paintball. Keep bringing people in!"

Per Gino's FB..

TL;DR: GI is mad because some of Valken's paint is swirly in a similar manner to Marbalizer.
In 2012, Valken settled with KEE for a similar claim. Kee now is owned by GI and Valken is selling swirly paint..

EDIT:

FULL FILING FOUND HERE: https://www.docdroid.net/IakloNq/gi-vs-valken.pdf.html

EditEdit: John Rathburn of GI responds:

Two Fat Guys' GOG / SP Ion Upgrades! - Mechanical Kit - Closed Bolt Kit - V3 Bolt
Two Fat Guys' Bolt Engine Upgrade for Dangerous Power G3 / G4 ~70+ FPS Increase!

DLX|Ninja|GOG|Deadlywind|Valken|MacDev|Inception Designs|KEE|Azodin|Dangerous Power|Virtue

Last edited by Deathwish_DW : 10-21-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 PM #2
painter4life05
cixelsyd

has been a member for 10 years
painter4life05 supports Cereal Killerz 2
painter4life05 donated to help Peyton Trent
painter4life05 supports Ninja Paintball
I skimmed the post it seems like it's over the name of a paint and a contract. This is going to be great for the sport.

PUMP OT B.Y.O.L.B.

OG Feedback 45+
painter4life05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM #3
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Sounds like GI is not happy with Redemption looking a little like the old marbs ... when they were good.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 PM #4
NeedForSpeed

Buying marbs is like buying practice paint for 50%-100% more cost
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:09 PM #5
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Surprise Surprise. **** GI.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:19 PM #6
insixdays777
Fight For Fun.

insixdays777 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
insixdays777 supports Ninja Paintball
insixdays777 owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
GI should spend the attorney money on making better paint. Valken paint really is the best.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 PM #7
Freddy1980.3

So lame!
Freddy1980.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 PM #8
fullofpaint

fullofpaint owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
fullofpaint supports Ninja Paintball
Full Disclosure: Did not read the full filing.

Have they changed the look of Redemption?

It really doesn't look that similar, Redemption has pretty consistent lines:

and Marbs are much more swirly like tie-dye or something:

Gott be a pretty vague trademark to consider that similar

Last edited by fullofpaint : 10-21-2016 at 10:46 PM.
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 PM #9
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by insixdays777 View Post
GI should spend the attorney money on making better paint. Valken paint really is the best.
This.

The smart play would be to bring back original American made evil, marbs, premium.

Not sure why ALL paint these days seems to kinda suck.