Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 AM #1
imagine456

Spyder Shutter is leaking from Regulator

I recently bought a Spyder Imagine and Spyder Shutter off craigslist. The Imagine is fine but Shutter is leaking air from the small hole from the reg I took it apart the O-ring is fine but and so is the one on the tank I need help.
Thanks,
imagine456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 AM #2
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

has been a member for 10 years
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
take it apart again, put some grease on the orings

"Originally posted by E99_Curt: Shouldn't you be busy making a marker?
"
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM #3
imagine456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
take it apart again, put some grease on the orings
Where do I take it apart from? and which o-ring do i replace
imagine456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqglkZ_Nug8

Basic tear down video so you know what your looking at. Given its old it probably wont come apart that easy.

Take off the top piece. Take out the adjustment set screw (on the side not the bottom, but if the bottom comes out try). try to get the pistons to fall out (try to remove like ketchup bottle). Don't force anything as there is an easy way to get stuck ones loose, its usually the little one that is stuck. start to screw your tank in and stop, then find a rag or blanket, screw the tank it enough air pressure leaks out (this is mildly dangerous don't cover the opening with your hand. Now you direct the open end into the blanket and it will shoot the little piston out. Unscrew the tank and collect your prize. If you use CO2 make it quick and use gloves or hold on with rags, CO2 will freeze things up.

Now look at your o-rings there are 2 on each piston, if they are undamaged use some kind of paintball grease like you would every other regulator. IF they are broken go to the hardware store and find some orings that work or try to look for a kit (which If I knew the sizes off hand you could just order those).

Last the washers are called a spring stack. Put them back on like the, )()()( , They are bent with a curve to act like springs when assemble correctly. It doesn't matter how many there are as they always begin and end the same.

So
Correct
Quote:
)()()()()()()(

Incorrect
Quote:
()()()()()()

Also if that is all too difficult you can get them "new" which is is remaining stock I assume for $25 or less.

"
Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I rebuilt a Shutter regulator once.
I was able to find all the needed O-rings at Ace Hardware for less than a $1.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM #6
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

hey the inflicted, how is the talk in about the VW plant not going union? Just curious as you live there.?

Also to stay on topic: I believe I found something in my timmy rebuild kit before. They are pretty generic orings.

"
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

The VW workers voted last weekend 712-626 to keep the union out. The UAW has said they're considering legal action against Governor Norquist and Senator Corker for inappropriate interference.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM #8
Big3439

Hey thank you for this great information! I got the big one out but I'm having problems with the little one. When I screw in my air tank air comes out the bottom screw and does not shoot the little guy out?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance I am assuming that is my problem. When I hook up my hair to the gun it leaks out that bottom screw. Unless I can't use HPA on the shutter? Because the air tank has a regulator and then you're hooking it up to the regulator on the shutter so I'm not sure?

Last edited by Big3439 : 03-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Big3439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 AM #9
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

I would take out that screw, then try to remove it again. You need to get the little guy out to either lube the o-rings or replace them if damaged. the set screw might be keeping it in place.

"
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 AM #10
Big3439

Well I got it out and lubed it but when I put it together and hook air up its still leaking out the bottom screw. I guess the next step is just replace them o rings. Hopefully that'll work. Do you think that's why the air is leaking out of that bottom screw ?Thank you for the help I appreciate it.

Last edited by Big3439 : 03-12-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 AM #11
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Well the little guy doesn't always shoot out, this time it loosened it and i got it out by smacking against my hand like ketchup.

The screw on the bottom is a plug. Any threaded plug or guages I always use blue loc-tite but you can usually get away with plumbers tape. The plug isn't easy to break loose, find the correct size and go slow straight and strong. My wrench is actually twisted now.

I picked up this stuff at autozone, clean threads put it on the screw, thread it in and wait for it to dry.

"
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM #12
Big3439

Awesome I wonder if that's all I need is some of that thread locker. Because when I screw my tank in it leaks from the bottom screw but when I remove the tank it holds pressure about 700 PSI on my gauge and does not leak.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:10 PM #13
tarsun

after you said that, (and just throwing this out there) is the o-ring on the tank ok?
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 PM #14
Big3439

yea the o ring is good. works fine with my other guns I just don't understand why its leaking out of that little screw on the bottom of the shutters regulator. it must just be worn out or something. ill try the thread lock and if that don't work ill just get a new ASA for it. im out of ideas lol.

Last edited by Big3439 : 03-15-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 AM #15
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

it's holding pressure because the leak is before the actual area holding pressure or the gauge could be broken they are known for that too.. the trick is getting the screw out in one shot. its tough and will strip or round out if your reckless. try a little heat from a lighter if it doesn't budge.

the downside of replacing the bottom line you will loose the regulator too. i see no reason 're sealing the plug won't work it does nothing.

"
Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 PM #16
Big3439

Awesome!! The threads must of been worn out a bit or something because the thread lock fixed the leaking air from the bottom screw! Thanks for your help! God Bless!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 PM #17
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

"
Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 PM #18
Akela521

Thumbs up It worked!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but your tips worked! I've been trying to get this shutter working again and could NOT get the small piston to come out.

Finally, after over a dozen times putting air through, it FINALLY popped out a very stuck little piston! All of the o-rings were jelly and cemented into the regulator. I cleaned it up and replaced the o-rings.

It's firing again!!!

What kind of o-ring lube should I use to prevent them from getting stuck again and keeping them happy?

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! This was literally the only place I found the right answer
Akela521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:56 AM #19
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

thats awesome man

well if everything is all working and you found new orings i would just put a few drops of oil in the ASA (where the tank screws into) and shoot it threw like you would with any other spyder.

If you ambitious you could grease it like any other reg, but its messier and will require you to maintain it more than it has been.

"
Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 AM #20
tarsun

FIVE YEARS lol

thats awesome

and im glad it worked.
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 AM #21
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsun View Post
FIVE YEARS lol

thats awesome

and im glad it worked.
different guy bro.

"