Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM #1
darkhunter139

How often should I take my gun apart to clean it?

How often should I take my tippmann 98 custom apart and clean it? Also how should I clean it? Just wipe everything down?

And when should I oil it? Thanks in advance!
darkhunter139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM #2
doin

usaully after a day of play
doin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM #3
spwz99

has been a member for 10 years
with a Tippmann I believe you can just put a drop of paintball marker oil (notice I didn't say WD-40) in the ASA before you screw in your air tank and that should lubricate the internals. I wouldn't take it all the way apart unless something starts to leak. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
spwz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 PM #4
9Tippmann8
Washed Up

Take apart the receivers, clean off any old oil and paint. Drop of lube on the rear bolt and front bolt. Before the next time you play, put a drop of oil in the asa, screw tank in, fire the gun 15-20 times. Repeat after each time you play.
/thread.
9Tippmann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM #5
washington (Banned)

i clean my stuff every time i play even though i shoot less then a bag
washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 PM #6
crazed8er
OND/OEF

crazed8er supports Ninja Paintball
tippmanns are quite durable. there fore you wouldnt have to clean it quite as much as some other guns like spyders and such. it really depends on how often you use it and how much you shoot and things like that. if you really think you shot the crap out of it that day then i definetly would take it appart and clean it. but if you only shot say a loader through it you should be fine. exspecially with a tippmann. also if it has sat in your closet for along time i would definetly suggest taking it appart and oiling it before you use it. that way you wont take a chance of bustin an o-ring. when you clean your gun you want to make sure you oil it up real good when you go to put it back together. and also DO NOT use WD-40... or anything oil based for that matter. use the specific oil made for paintball markers.

so go have fun and take care of your stuff!
Allmendinger #86
Veteran Militia

Eugene/Roseburg
crazed8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM #7
darkhunter139

Sounds good thanks guys. The ASA is just the thing the tank screws into correct? And what are the recievers lol? Is there anywhere I can go to read about all the parts.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM #8
ipodpeter35
Jizzed in My Pants

ipodpeter35 helped look for balloons
The recievers are the two halves of the body. You can just put a couple drops of oil in the asa (the part the tank screws into) and fire the gun a few times with the barrel off and you should be all set.
ipodpeter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM #9
darkhunter139

Alright cool thanks, just getting into the sport and want to take care of my gun. I love it so far! I have been paint balling like 4 times since friday lol. (We have the perfect woods right accross the street)

I am going to head over to a real course after I get a little more practice.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 PM #10
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Moved to Tippmann forum.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM #11
darkhunter139

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
Moved to Tippmann forum.
Oh alright sorry about that I wasnt sure if I should post it here or the newbie forum. Seemed like kind of a newbish question. Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 PM #12
Red98Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed8er View Post
tippmanns are quite durable. there fore you wouldnt have to clean it quite as much as some other guns like spyders and such. it really depends on how often you use it and how much you shoot and things like that. if you really think you shot the crap out of it that day then i definetly would take it appart and clean it. but if you only shot say a loader through it you should be fine. exspecially with a tippmann. also if it has sat in your closet for along time i would definetly suggest taking it appart and oiling it before you use it. that way you wont take a chance of bustin an o-ring. when you clean your gun you want to make sure you oil it up real good when you go to put it back together. and also DO NOT use WD-40... or anything oil based for that matter. use the specific oil made for paintball markers.

so go have fun and take care of your stuff!
Spyder are quite durable as well, you shouldnt have to lube anything for a couple of games, as for cleaning the barrel and gun on my electric spyder sonix 07 the bolt just slides out the back for easy cleaning.

I picked up a nasty tippmann at a local pawn shop when i was younger it was all filled up with paint and the thing still fired, so if iv been out playing all day i really dont want to clean and lube the gun so i will let it sit for a while it really isnt going to hurt your gun to not clean it. But your gun will perform better if you clean it on a weekly basis.
Red98Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 PM #13
dragon1291

dragon1291 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dragon1291 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhunter139 View Post
Alright cool thanks, just getting into the sport and want to take care of my gun. I love it so far! I have been paint balling like 4 times since friday lol. (We have the perfect woods right accross the street)

I am going to head over to a real course after I get a little more practice.
Do u understand what Chronoing is?
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM #14
darkhunter139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1291 View Post
Do u understand what Chronoing is?
Isnt that the machines that measure the FPS of ur shots? I never even touched the velocity settings on my gun yet, what does it start at?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM #15
elimelech12
wHy sO sERiOuS?

elimelech12 donated to help Peyton Trent
i clean my tippyz after a day of play and only if they are dirty...and i lube the internals with TechT Lube
elimelech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM #16
hansolo8221

I would be sure to thoroughly clean the exterior so there is no paint, mud, etc, that will cause rusting. Especially around the body screws, feedneck parts, and trigger area. I would disassemble it completely and clean the internals if you got anything inside the body through the cocking handle slot, or if you had any paint break in the breach. Basically it really depends on how dirty it gets. The only required regular maintenance is oil in the ASA before you air it up.
hansolo8221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM #17
NeoAngel

I always strip my gun down and clean it completely after a day of play, just keep it clean and every once in a while split it and clean/oil the internals so u don't get gunk building up in there. i've seen my friends 98 get really disgusting cause he rarely even removes the barrel just do urself a favor and wipe it down completely after playing
NeoAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM #18
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo8221 View Post
I would be sure to thoroughly clean the exterior so there is no paint, mud, etc, that will cause rusting. Especially around the body screws, feedneck parts, and trigger area. I would disassemble it completely and clean the internals if you got anything inside the body through the cocking handle slot, or if you had any paint break in the breach. Basically it really depends on how dirty it gets. The only required regular maintenance is oil in the ASA before you air it up.
Thats pretty much what I do. Of course with the e-grip and how my hopper batts tend to dy at the end of the day I'm pretty much garneteed a break so it ends up being every time. And I hate it when I get shot in the cocking handle!
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:47 PM #19
dragon1291

dragon1291 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dragon1291 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhunter139 View Post
Isnt that the machines that measure the FPS of ur shots? I never even touched the velocity settings on my gun yet, what does it start at?
yea.

I cant explain it as well as the other guys here can. But the Veloity on the tippmann is very inconsistent stock.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 PM #20
dementedgerbil
0_o

i have several 98's at the moment, and normally i open/clean/lube them after each days full use. if they were used lightely i just oil em up after use. i have 1 model 98 i have had for maybe 7 years now and use at least once a month, i put oil in the asa and on the rear and front bolt but have never opened it to clean it. it started out as a test and joke to see how durable it could be. and let me tell you its pretty nasty looking. paint has bubeled up the powercoat over time but she still works (its all stock btw)

so yea id say if you use it for a full day open and clean/lube thoughly after each use. if you shoot a bag threw it at home theres no need to open her up(unless you break a ball) or you could just keep adding oil and see how long it works for until it stops working like im doing with one of mine.

Hotrod Red Karni pump F/S
dementedgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 AM #21
DNvCross
Virginia Tech!

I never cleaned (or even oiled) my 98c for 6 years after I got it. It still shot like the day it was new.

That said, it was a terrible thing to do to the gun, and now that I actually understand it, I completely disassemble and clean it after each game.