Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-21-2006, 04:23 PM #1
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

has been a member for 10 years
trendyslide plays in the PSP
trendyslide plays in the APPA D4 division
How-to PROPERLY prep and paint a hopper

FIRST AND FORMOST, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU F*** UP, YOUR FAULT NOT MINE

alrite, i got tired of seeing postes on how to paint a hopper blahblahblah, so i'ma do a simple yet efficient write up on how to paint damn well near anything plastic.

first step is gather the materials you will need.

i'm using a pod just as an example, i have clear coat, paint, the pod, and light grit sand paper.

ALMOST ANY PAINT WILL DO. I choose automotive type paints over household paint mainly because i believe they have a greater resistance againest the elements.

*SIDE NOTE*: the sand paper jus looks like grey paper, that's how light it should be, When u feel it there is a SLIGHT bit of roughness to it but not enough to cause damage to human skin with rough scraping. If you buy sand paper that can cause those white marks on your skin with a few rubs, too heavy, grab something lighter. The reason:

spray paint is thinner than paint from a store that you use a spray gun to shoot. So since it's thinner, it will have a bad time filling up those deep scratches that heavy sand paper causes.

OK, so now u got the stuff, start sanding. SAND EVERYTHING YOU INTEND TO PAINT. After your done, wash it and dry it, it should look like this

CLOUDY, if it's not cloudy lookin continue to sand until it is.

*SIDE NOTE*: Wet sanding is another way of sanding your stuff down. If your not afraid to get water on whatever it is your sanding down, wet sanding is probaly the best thing you can do. Simply take the sand paper your going to use cut it into 4 squares and let it sit in water. Then begin to sand, when the paper seems to be clogged, rinse it in the water and sand again. This DRAMATICALLY raises the life of sand paper.

ok now your done sanding and everything. Time for paint eh??? not really. First off, wash the hopper, or pod in this case, down really good with soap and water. Then dry it off and use some rubbing alcohol with a cotton swab or something to make sure the surface is super dry.

NOW IT TIME FOR PAINT.

keeping the can atleast 6 to 8 inches away from the hopper, continuously moving your spraying hand. It's best to start spraying away from the hopper and bring the can in for a swooping coat of color quickly. Do this until the hopper is thinnly covered in color.

if you look carefully you can still see thru some of the paint, that's what i mean by a THIN coat

let it dry for about 15min and re-do

Now continue to do this until your satisfied with how the color has come out. The more coats, the richer the color. Of course this will vary depending upon paint and color, but you get the point.

Now, your ready for clear coat, after the last coat has set for a good 20-30 minutes (not 15min) head in with clear coat and do it just like you wuold with paint. Swooping colors starting the spray AWAY from the hopper and coming in for a light coat. You can be a little more generous with clear though since it's clear and a TAD bit thicker, it'll have a tendency to grab better and not run so eaisly, but better safe than sorry. Thin coats FTW.

when your done it should be nice and shiney like this

that was after only 2 coats, but i do reccomend more if you want the color to be protected from the elements

let the thing sit and dry for ATLEAST 8 HOURS otherwise the soft paint underneath will deform and you'll get wrinkles and stuff.

questions? comments?

Last edited by trendyslide : 11-15-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2006, 04:44 PM #2
BlackSky909
AFC East Champs

Sticky? But I though you were supposed to paint hoppers from the inside out so they dont chip.
MIAMI RAGE FAN CLUB #79
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM #3
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

that would be for CLEAR ones...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM #4
paintball_kidz

What is the point of the clear coat? Is it sapposed to make it more shiny?
This is my first ever attempt at paintin shells. I decided to do camo,
Requires: 2 colours of spray paint, Masking tape, 600 grit sand paper, exacto knife & 24 hours of your time.

not the best but ok for first time, **I painted it from the outside)
sorry if I am highjacking your thread.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 PM #5
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

clear coat is more durable and protects the color.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM #6
DoomWithanXmag

Boo to sand paper. Scuff the plastic with ScotchBrite pads clean it with soap and water let dry and paint with Model paint for Lexan RC car bodies. I have done a couple hoppers now and both look great and the finish is VERY strong. One I painted outside (it was a black hopper) to get a dust finish and one was clear so I painted it inside to get a high gloss finish. The Angel on the side of the blue hopper is a sticker I had made and put on the inside before painting.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 PM #7
xoopiter-jeff

Also I think the sand paper he is describe is called " WET 600-1000 GRIT" paper. Its pretty damn fine but just enough to lightly abraid it. Scotchbright pads work good too however you can get REALLY abrassive pads so be careful.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 09-23-2006, 02:00 AM #8
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoopiter-jeff
Also I think the sand paper he is describe is called " WET 600-1000 GRIT" paper. Its pretty damn fine but just enough to lightly abraid it. Scotchbright pads work good too however you can get REALLY abrassive pads so be careful.

Cheers
Jeff
agreed, also, imo it requires jus a bit more effort when it comes to using scotch pads...that's jus the experiencde i've had with them...but i'm use to doing cars
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 PM #9
gnarlyjerick
Only the strong.

gnarlyjerick owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sticky?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 PM #10
paintball_kidz

I painted half of my halo and noticed little line marks on it, How do you prevent this from happenin?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:38 AM #11
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

pix?

i don't quite get what your saying...

unless it's run's, if the paint has run, all you can do is sand it down (when it's abou 2 days dry) until smooth and paint again...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM #12
I r asian dotcom
supz

would plastidip spray work??
Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM #13
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

yea...but i don't think it's as tough as automotive type paints would be, it's jus flexible. Automotive paints are able to take a bashing and keep on flashing...

but i've neve rhad personal experience with plastidip...so i can't give u a fo sho answer
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM #14
dyenasty27

i wanna do my hopper now. it clear so is it true u REALLY have to paint it from the inside? i dont feel like doin that.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM #15
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

it's your choice...
people think that if you paint if from the inside it takes away a step (clearcoating) however, i can see a problem happening as the paint will chip here and there from the force of the balls being dropped onto it; without a protective coating you risk having to redo the inside again...

i reccomend jus doing the outside. If it starts getting ugly and chipping jus buy some car model paint and used it to touch it up...that's what i did with my vlocity

Last edited by trendyslide : 11-03-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM #16
Rampie8506

good info.. I was thinking about painting one of my hoppers for my girls gun. a bunch of you guys named what kind of paint to use but any of them have hot pink. its for a pink ion so I would like to find paint to match that color pink. krylon only has fairy tail pink and it won't work. how about the other paints?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 PM #17
Lil Azn Dave

If you deceide to paint your hoppers, I suggest you to go out and purchase clear shells. Paint the inside with nice quality paint then put a clear coat over it.

NBut good job making the thread man.

Last edited by Lil Azn Dave : 11-03-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:14 PM #18
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampie8506 View Post
good info.. I was thinking about painting one of my hoppers for my girls gun. a bunch of you guys named what kind of paint to use but any of them have hot pink. its for a pink ion so I would like to find paint to match that color pink. krylon only has fairy tail pink and it won't work. how about the other paints?
go to pepboys or some sort of automotive store and look around at the paints they have there. automotive paint usually has a larger selection and the paint can take on harder abuse than house hold paints
Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 PM #19
trendyslide
OnoIsuK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Azn Dave View Post
If you deceide to paint your hoppers, I suggest you to go out and purchase clear shells. Paint the inside with nice quality paint then put a clear coat over it.

NBut good job making the thread man.
indeed, however, the vlocity doesn't come in clear...i wish they did, man that would be effing SEXY
Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 AM #20
geekyPBmaniac
~ASMC Member~

geekyPBmaniac helped look for balloons
geekyPBmaniac owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
geekyPBmaniac supports Team VICIOUS
how much does krylon cost per a can?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 AM #21
jeffreyjames

you can get spray paint anywhere from 99cents(wally world brand) up to several dollars depending on what you want. krylon is usually around 2 or 3 bucks i think.

this is good information hes giving on the how to... i just find it funny that people cant read the back of the can that has the same information and have to come here. the only "trick" hes giving is to sand it first cause paint sticks to plastic better when it has something to "grab". although im pretty sure thats on the back of the can too. at least on some of them.."shiny surfaces should be sanded"

"Originally posted by QuencyJones16: It is not the making of a resume' that is hard, it is actually getting those achievements to actually put on it that take time."

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!!!