Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 12:50 AM #1
Scorch

Angry TNN Thunderdome ** Possibly the worst exposure for PB Ever!

I can not believe what I just saw on TV!!!!

TNN has a show call Thunderdome. It caught my attention while channel surfing because a whacked out looking camo wearing wrestler-want-to-be was brandishing a m98 with CO2 while yapping at an interviewer. No there was not a barrel plug.

The next scene is a similar interview with his opponent. In this segment, the 2nd member of this opposing team actually shoots the interviewer on camera in the back from about 20-30 ft. No one pictured has a mask on. I'm freaking at this point but it gets worse!!!

The competition is of the two 2 person teams riding dirt bikes with side cars around an off road arena course while shooting each other. Not one of the course workers, commentators, audience, or players has an approved mask. Oh it gets worse still...

They wail around this course ripping paint at each other and one of the drivers appears to have his motorcycle helmet shield up!

Unbelievably... there is yet another level of stupidity.....

In the closing interview, the winning team shoots the unprotected interviewer AGAIN!

I've never seen this show before and don't know if this is a regular debasement of paintball or just a onetime Monstrous act of reckless endangerment.

Someone help me find an email addy for TNN. I am completely shocked that I saw this.
*Edit
FOUND IT! http://www.thenewtnn.com/mail_form.jhtml
You know what to do but be nice yet firm.

Scorch

Last edited by Scorch : 11-10-2002 at 01:07 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2002, 01:20 AM #2
Scorch

Losing an eye... I hope not.

This is the comment I sent to TNN:
Quote:
I was stunned with the Paintball segment of Thunderdome tonight.

Paintball is one of the fastest growing extreme sports. Our biggest hurdle to becoming a truly mainstream sport is the misrepresentation of paintballers. The show tonight was a horrible example!

I am a tournament paintball player as are the other people you will see responding to this show. Showing paintball in a completely unsafe environment with not ONE person using safety equipment is simply irresponsible. The fact that the unprotected “interviewer” was shot not once but on two separate occasions is unbelievable. Certainly, no one could stand behind a “Kids, don’t do this at home” statement. Its simply reckless.
The information page of your website cites “The New TNN has set ratings records each and every month and has brought a new young adult audience to its schedule.”

Is this really the way to get those ratings? I watch TNN all the time. This seems to be a lapse in a generally positive viewing environment.

Please read the comments of my fellow paint players and consider what the right course of action should be.

Thank you for your consideration of this issue.

Dan Jones
Gravity Paintball Team
www.gravitypaintball.org
I hope you all send a proper comment!
Scorch
Old 11-10-2002, 01:34 AM #3
twendel44

OH MY GOD!!! UN-****ING-BELIEVABLE!!! THATS JUST STUPID!!! PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCH TNN?!!!?!?!?!!!?!?!?
Old 11-10-2002, 01:36 AM #4
Smeek
I R pukeboy

Smeek is a Supporting Member
Smeek is a founding member
Smeek plays in the USPL
Smeek supports Bob Gurnsey
Smeek supports our troops
Hey guys check out this link for Splatter Factor If you notice TNN is picking up the show. I only saw one of the first 3 it was basically an infomercial before but it was a good representation of tourney ball.

I agree what Scorch described is bad, just try to remain civil in your responses as Scorch did, and realize TNN will hopefully help paintball become more mainstream.

I've also heard rumors of TNN picking up X-ball not sure though.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:43 AM #5
Knackers

Yeah thats bad but PUSH is a shocking example of tourniment players walking around with Markers with no plugs no masks etc.

And these are tournie players.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:45 AM #6
i like tictacs

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally posted by halB
sorry, wont matter, unless they get 15 million a few paintballers complaining wont influence them. sorry, thats the real world. the only way it will end is when they realize that these arent harmless toys, that these things are weapons, and that they can take someones eye out.

Shut the **** up.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:36 PM #7
paintballer_2005

Horrible

I also watched this show. The commentator guy was a complete jackass though. He was like "If your wondering how these guys shoot such massive amounts of missles or bombs or something gay like that, its because they have giant loader boxes on top and can hold 20 in the magazine!!! I laughed at that one. Also, Scorch, i dont think they were shooting any paint. If you saw how close they were you would definately see the paint busting all over the people behind yet there was none. At that end part it had paint shots on the bike and those looked totally gay. When they shot the interviewer at that point it looked as if he was shot with a blow gun.... And also when the first team shot the interviewer, it totally sounded like dry firing and if you looked at the paint hit on the guys back it looked like it had been smeared.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:50 PM #8
Scorch

Whether they staged it or not.

The impression of playing PB with no safety considerations is the problem.

Scorch
Old 11-10-2002, 03:38 PM #9
einhander619

The New TNN? Sounds like the old TNN more than ever. If they can't stand to portray paintball in a positive way, why can't they just leave us the **** alone?
Old 11-10-2002, 04:51 PM #10
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
TNN

First, it's a big network. The guys at the top probably don't have an idea of the details of every show on the air, including probably not knowing if one of their shows had people using paintball equipment without masks.

Not saying that makes it ok, but it's the producer of the show who is at fault, not necessarily the network. Our problem has always been that there are way too many TV show producers for us to educate them all, and unfortunately man have proven too lazy to do their researchbefore doing a show.

Splatter Factor does indeed have a new 13 episode contract with TNN. Unlike on Fox Sports Net, SF does nothave to buy the air time this time around, so it'll actually be biled in the listings and such as "Splatter Factor".

Additionally, Nations Cup should hit TNN around Thanksgiving and College X Ball (and perhaps also the Sunday exhibition at Cup) around Christmas. The Thanksgiivng thing is pretty much a sure-thinga t this point, Christmas is a "probably" as far as I know. Definitely tape in the can.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 11-10-2002, 05:59 PM #11
Scorch

Re: TNN

Quote:
Originally posted by raehl
First, it's a big network. The guys at the top probably don't have an idea of the details of every show on the air, including probably not knowing if one of their shows had people using paintball equipment without masks.
Yes they are big. I do not believe that the people making programming decisions are completely oblivious to basic show content. Otherwise they would not be able to market their product.

Yes they may not have any idea regarding paintball and the show's potential impact. That's where we come it The educated and concerned viewer.

Chris, as I look at your sig, I notice that you may have some opportunity to engage in some PB Activism. Hmmmm?

Scorch
Old 11-10-2002, 06:02 PM #12
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Okay, news flash. This isn't paintball! They are not the ambassadores of paintball! This is not a representation of paintball! It happens that they are just using the equipment.

Are police enforcement using pepperballs portraying what paintball is? Do they represent paintballers? Of course not!

A lady who uses a baseball bat to beat the crap out of a burgler... does she represent the American League? Of course not!

Does a drunk driver who kills a mother and her child represent NASCAR? Kind of, but still... no!

These people just use the equipment for the GAME SHOW! Okay! People are not going to be watching this and think "Hey, Paintball is dangerous and evil, I'm going to write to my congressman!" Sorry folks, it's not like that.

Know what your emails are going to accomplish? Your own self-accomplishment and holyness. That's basically about it. You'll feel proud of yourself, knowing you've just saved our game from governmental banishment! Or so you will have yourself believe.

I'm not saying that what was on there I approve of. However, I am saying you're kicking a dead horse. And all your emails account for 2 things. Jack and Crap! And Jack left town!
The "New" TNN isn't going to start making an apology notice to all offended paintballers, and will instantly refrain from publishing that material again for the sake of them not receiving another entire 20 e-mails of disgust! Half of which, of course, are from kids who do nothing but use foul language and can't even spell words out completely, using net-slang.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:03 PM #13
Scorch

Quote:
Originally posted by Meph
Okay, news flash. This isn't paintball! They are not the ambassadores of paintball! This is not a representation of paintball! It happens that they are just using the equipment.
Are police enforcement using pepperballs portraying what paintball is? Do they represent paintballers? Of course not!
Well… What is paintball? No Police Officers doing their job is not. But People recreating or competing with PB gear is Paintball. I can see by your sig you are familiar with scenario games. Do you greatly restrict the themes of that type of paintball. Probably not. What I imagine you will agree is that disregard for safety is not helpful to the game.

Quote:
Know what your emails are going to accomplish? Your own self-accomplishment and holyness. That's basically about it. You'll feel proud of yourself, knowing you've just saved our game from governmental banishment! Or so you will have yourself believe.
No one can know the effect your activism will have until you do something. H-O-L-I-N-E-S-S And no “E” on Ambassadors Mr. Quayle
Quote:
The "New" TNN isn't going to start making an apology notice to all offended paintballers, and will instantly refrain from publishing that material again for the sake of them not receiving another entire 20 e-mails of disgust! Half of which, of course, are from kids who do nothing but use foul language and can't even spell words out completely, using net-slang.
LOL
Scorch

Last edited by Scorch : 11-10-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:13 PM #14
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

mr_mich is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by halB
well this is odd, shouldnt this be closed considering it deserves to go in the "sightings" thread? jeese, its almost like mich is a biased lil 14 year old.....
As opposed to an I-Art-Holier-Than-Thou 16 year old punk with a Spyder and 25 posts per day?

Comcast isn't a stable ISP, give me a break.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:19 PM #15
OttO

O SNAP! O SNAP!
i do believe that someone just got burned...
Closed Thread