Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 PM #1
ILuvBacon

How does 2020 paintball differ from 1990 paintball?

Hi, new member, old player! I started playing in the late 80s. There was a great local field (still open) and everyone was friendly and honest and we all had a lot of fun. My favorite game was capture the flag as it most resembled actual war games. I had no interest in "speed ball" and just filling the air with paint. The field had splatmaster pistols and some crappy pump rifles for use. I bought a PGP and an Automag. I was a pretty good player and probably still would be. I lost interest when a lot of players started cheating (wiping). I just dug out all of my old gear and playing with my guns, the PGP, Automag, Black Dragun and Piranha. I'm wondering how the game has changed in 30 years. Is it all speedball now? Do they still play capture the flag? Would my guns still be competitive?
ILuvBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2020, 03:15 PM #2
ILuvBacon

I was just wondering how the sport and equipment has evolved. Do very many people even play anymore? It seems like my guns should still be competitive since they shoot straight. Has most switched to compressed air instead of CO2?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:05 AM #3
num3n

has been a member for 10 years
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
I play with the same old grandpa guns vs people with new equipment. If you’re a half way decent player you won’t have any issue. The only issue you may run into is the ridiculously small paint you run into that give you a lot of rollouts with old pumps sometimes. The only thing I would suggest is a new mask. Modern masks are WAY better than they were back in the 90’s. That’s the biggest upgrade to your game I can think of.
num3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:55 AM #4
ILuvBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by num3n View Post
I play with the same old grandpa guns vs people with new equipment. If youíre a half way decent player you wonít have any issue. The only issue you may run into is the ridiculously small paint you run into that give you a lot of rollouts with old pumps sometimes. The only thing I would suggest is a new mask. Modern masks are WAY better than they were back in the 90ís. Thatís the biggest upgrade to your game I can think of.
I actually used ski goggles and a headband to protect my ears. I went more for the minimalist Rambo look, especially in summer. Wife beater camo T-shirt and camo pants. Rifle hanging on my shoulder and my holstered PGP for backup. Now it seems that most players are covered from head to toe. Yeah, paintballs sting and leave welts but come on ...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:20 AM #5
Knorkator
Mini/Axe/Autococker

Like num3n said Barrel (kit) and Mask. Most fields use hpa only today.
Replace your old co2 tank(s) with a 3000psi hpa.

Nothing wrong with covering up bare skin with one thin layer. Welts are ok but bleeding hits (eventually with scaring) not...at least for me.

My local field is built for the most common play types. But most of the time its just Team Deathmatch. Depends on the group you are playing with.

Wiping was and will always be a problem. Usually these players get called out pretty fast. Most of them want to come back to the field and stop doing it.
Night games are a wiping-nightmare.....this is why i dont play at night.

No need to be competitive at recreational games. I play with pump, mech, electro... variety keeps it more interesting.
Knorkator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:59 PM #6
lavasta
ALCHEMIST

has been a member for 10 years
 is playing at Living Legends XI
lavasta owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
lavasta has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Technology

The amount of technology that is in now a day guns simply surpasses any gun from back in the 90s. I would say technology is the main difference.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:30 AM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Fields are way smaller.
Players are much younger.
Paint is way cheaper.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:00 PM #8
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvBacon View Post
I was just wondering how the sport and equipment has evolved. Do very many people even play anymore? It seems like my guns should still be competitive since they shoot straight. Has most switched to compressed air instead of CO2?
we dont even offer co2 anymore, and havent for the last 6 or more years. it was easier to just lend them a 48ci 3000

we do have one co2 tank onsite for people to get their 20/24 oz kegerator or fish tank bottles filled for $10 each.