PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 PM #1
jtcraig93
P.E. ETEK 5 & Spyder Xtra

jtcraig93 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
2012 Spyder Xtra Inaccurate Shots

So I took out my Spyder this weekend for giggles and shagrins. I was using typical grade rental paint.

I have an aftermarket barrel (C.P. .685) and an aftermarket bolt (TechT Hush) for my Spyder hoping to get a little more consistent shot quality out of it. But my paintballs go whizzing everywhere. Not sure if it is due to only having a single detent?
jtcraig93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 PM #2
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

has been a member for 10 years
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcraig93 View Post
So I took out my Spyder this weekend for giggles and shagrins. I was using typical grade rental paint.

I have an aftermarket barrel (C.P. .685) and an aftermarket bolt (TechT Hush) for my Spyder hoping to get a little more consistent shot quality out of it. But my paintballs go whizzing everywhere. Not sure if it is due to only having a single detent?
Straight up ? Like the grinch on christmas you slammed a barrel 2 sizes too small on your gun. "standard size" is .689 and most manufactures overbore across the board because they know you probably gunna run out and buy a barrel kit. Now among other things we could look at, and unless your double feeding paint the detent is not one, You wanna run a tight bore you buy a ball gauge and sit down and toss every ball bigger than .684 into your friend bucket free of charge. quick fix is ditch the barrel.

Realistically you can under or over but constancy is key. on that note a tank pressure (800psi), heavy spring, is not gunna be gentle when your ram paint down the throat of it tiny barrel I've been an advocate since 2008 or maybe it was 9 when i got a hold of a pilot and and electra, and hands down for a spyder the best setup out of a box they have come with or probably ever will. Now your xtra really is no different in my book its just a mech frame instead, however the electra and later the fenix came with really 1 thing that makes ALL the difference. A regulator, basically that is it, you can turn down from 800psi to like 400ish and your marker will be much happier.

When using a mech frame, your BPS doesn't really matter since hitting more than 8bps is hard enough. You can pretty much choose whatever regulator you want as long as its range is like 300-600psi adjustable and the only thing to remember is you will to spend a couple bucks making the metric thread hose/bottom line thats on the gun work with the standard threaded reg you most likely will buy. You wont NEED new valve/striker springs per say, but it might help if you can get a hold of the fenix springs, i remember the pilot i had felt like had stiffer spring than Electra but it ran fine when i stuck a different bottom line on it. Not to mention the tech t bolt you already have is basically made for this application so it will be softer on paint and allow you to drop your pressure a little further.

idk man thats all i got, good luck.

"Originally posted by E99_Curt: Shouldn't you be busy making a marker?
"
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 AM #3
tarsun

or the marker was over lubed and oil got into the barrel...
or there was paint in the barrel.

clean the barrel in hot soapy water and clean the bolt and bolt o-rings with a paper towel. you can try again after that to see if that made a different.
its quick and free. If that doesn't do it; follow the above post.
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 PM #4
mnkywitagun

mnkywitagun owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
My guess using rental paintball you had alot of misshapen and dimpled balls. Buy a slghtly beter ball like defy ' graffiti. Just a good rec grade paintball.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 PM #5
jtcraig93
P.E. ETEK 5 & Spyder Xtra

jtcraig93 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I will be trying out the paint options again at my local field and for the amount of tank output pressure use a bigger Spyder threaded barrel. I was trying to underbore for (perceived) accuracy. I do not know if that thinking is flawed or not. But also before I went out I had oiled the bolt considerably to keep the internals lubricated. Maybe that is also causing inaccurate shots/poor shot quality. I will follow up in this thread when I can do so after testing/troubleshooting.

Thank you all for replying!
jtcraig93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM #6
Seajay

Seajay supports Ninja Paintball
Clean barrel, and lightly oil the striker o-ring. A couple of drops in the ASA before attaching the tank is all you need.

If you soaked the bolt all you are doing is putting oil into the barrel. The barrel o-rings just need a light dab around them.

Good round paint will then fly the farthest and straightest.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote