natexcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:25 PM #46
Cnoddings0364
Paintsieg

has been a member for 10 years
Cnoddings0364 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Cnoddings0364 plays in the APPA D2 division
I feel like I am in the minority here but I from what I can tell.. The field really doesn't seem that bad? I'm sitting out this event (first time in years) because work needs my focus but the pictures I am seeing just reminds me of my old local field. Hard ground with either dirt or rocks to land on. We react to that by not slamming our bodies down or simply having the right padding. The Carbon stuff is great for this type of situation but also adjust your style. Maybe play the pocket or back bunkers until you can get a kill and comfortably move?? No team has an advantage over another here. I too love to play on Turf.. I think we all do. But is the dirt on the field worth all this hype? Maybe it's just me... idk. I'm not there so I could be wrong.

Also NXL in my opinion had 1 or 2 really great events. Water stations, HUGE pits, etc. When they came back it was quite nice!! Slowly over the years the venue just hasn't been what I thought it would be.. Which is everything the PSP wasn't.

I think we can all agree that our money is not exactly giving us the experience we are paying for. On average with no help it costs anywhere between $1000-$1600 to play a national event depending on how far you go, size of the roster, etc. Is the NXL helping assure we are having a $1000-$1600 experience? I can think of a lot of stuff I could do with that time and money but I choose to spend it on the NXL because it's the ONLY national level series around right now.. Right?

Personally I would like to see them focus on proper training for their referees if they're going to charge that much for entry. I understand the other team has the same ref's but when I am 30ft off the net and watch multiple missed calls when they're two refs between that player, the net, other spectators, and myself... Kinda frustrating.

IDK how much blame Tom Cole has to accept for this vs just making it right. Blaming anyone won't solve anything.. Just make it right. Look at what your customers are saying and adjust to correct what is not working.

My .02
Cnoddings0364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:37 PM #47
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichonitro View Post
That is not quite how it works. In the space I work in we do not pay NBCSN to put our show/events on TV they pay us and our sponsors Pay us to sponsor our events. We produce our show like most people do.

(I work for one of most broadcast live broadcast events on NBC, we were the last on the air during covid and the first back on)
This is the internet. Get lost with your facts and first hand knowledge. We only have room for speculation around here.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:39 PM #48
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
wc! supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3J0K3R47 View Post
They changed the venue from a soccer complex to a unused field without telling anyone.

On facebook the address that was provided on May 5th when they announced registration was open was 560 Royersford Rd. Now it shows 547 Royersford Rd. No announcement was made atleast through the social media posts I looked through.
Ye old bait-n-switch. If you go to the NXL site now, then go to the Mid-Atlantic event page, then click the directions button, it still takes you to 560 Royersford Rd....which is the soccer field. The surprise venue change would be the foundation of my complaint to the NXL to request at least a partial refund. Since part of the entry fee has always been said to be used to cover the cost of the venue, and Tom himself said that the new location was "supplied" by the county for long term use by the NXL, I'm guessing a free deal was brokered and that the venue fees just went directly into someones pocket.

Really though, the fields don't look bad at all.

TRUST ME...
eBay (+865)
& PbNation (+61/-0) & MCB (+2/-0)
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:07 PM #49
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Would it help if they turned the dirt, into mud? Might bring injuries down from 100, to only 20
Old 06-24-2021, 02:24 PM #50
Chris Cole
Avid Death Squad

Chris Cole owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Chris Cole owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
Chris Cole supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Got to figure out who's going to pony up the advertising dollars to get it on TV. Like cornhole has Johnsonville Brats I think that picks up the bulk of the sponsorship money that buys their spot on ESPN. Paintball needs the same thing. Outside of the 4 major sports ESPN is getting paid by those other sports to get on tv. I mean Formula 1 has Mothers Polish pay to broadcast the biggest motorsport on the planet because they can't sell enough ads otherwise to make money on it.
F1 had other sponsors on ESPN, but the fans complained after one race that stuff was missed due to commercials so Mother's stepped up and paid enough to go commercial free.

The huge difference here is that ESPN has very little money into F1 because the sport provides the in-race images and they pay SKY Sports for re-broadcasting their commentators and track side content.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:49 PM #51
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

Annual Supporting Member
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cole View Post
F1 had other sponsors on ESPN, but the fans complained after one race that stuff was missed due to commercials so Mother's stepped up and paid enough to go commercial free.

The huge difference here is that ESPN has very little money into F1 because the sport provides the in-race images and they pay SKY Sports for re-broadcasting their commentators and track side content.
Laughs in F1TV.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:01 PM #52
John-Paintball.Media

Annual Supporting Member
John-Paintball.Media is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by (dr) View Post
Saying sorry does nothing.

If I steal your wallet and say sorry, will you feel better?

NXL is ***. Their bunker sets have been garbage from the inception and they continue to just be a worse PSP.

Paintball has zero chance of ever getting on TV when you can't even move the damn cameras around the ****ing 7 man bunkers and don't allow any time for instant replay to at least show cool eliminations (hint: try true xball).

They need to drop like 8 pro teams as they have next to zero chance of winning anyways and are just forcing split deck.

The prizes are also a joke. I don't understand why any divisional player would even bother over just spending that money on practice/local tournies/clinics until they can go pro. You're really paying for a shot at glory and the experience and that's it.
Paintball has been and was on TV for years. ESPN, Fox Sports, Spike TV.... there's not a shred of tangible evidence that any of it helped the game grow. Yes, it's nice to watch the game we love on TV, but the experience for the average viewer will never meet mainstream sports (or even secondary sports).

I'm in no way defending the quality of the grass/playing fields in Philly but I think it's admirable that an apology from the league president was made... probably the first time in history a major tournament promoter has ever apologized for anything publicly.

I've been to all but one NXL event since the league formed and I've been to every PSP and NPPL event dating back to 1993 but for 3 events in 28 years. I'm glad there's an awareness from the league for what is happening in Philly. Trashing what the league has done the past 4-5 years makes no sense to me. I'll take the NXL's past 5 year history over any other 5 year period in tournament history ever.

I'm guessing those that play the game at that level would by and large agree with me. Pre Covid the NXL was not just breaking team attendance numbers, they were crushing them--even in a time when less people are playing the game and the overall size of the game about half of what it was 15 years ago.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-24-2021, 04:23 PM #53
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemower1211 View Post
Just so we are clear, are you trying to compare sliding in a manicured dirt line, to sliding in a messed up field that looks like it has crop lines? Dont do that.

And lets be real, players/teams are paying thousands of dollars to play this event. They deserve better, this is pathetic. There are other places within 5 miles of the location the event is at, that they could have worked something out to host the event. NXL wants to continue with this location because they want or have an agreement for future events.
You haven't been to many baseball fields have you? I played high school baseball with a rock infield, not ball rock, crushed limestone rock. If I was lucky I got two weeks out of a pair of baseball pants so we practiced in jeans most of the time.

That being said the NXL blew it with this one. For a league that claims to be the top level in the country this is just embarrassing.
I didn’t grow up in the ghetto so our baseball fields were close to 50% clay/silt 50% sand. The nice ones even had grass around the pitchers mound and sand near the bases.
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:26 PM #54
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Paintball.Media View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by (dr) View Post
Saying sorry does nothing.

If I steal your wallet and say sorry, will you feel better?

NXL is ***. Their bunker sets have been garbage from the inception and they continue to just be a worse PSP.

Paintball has zero chance of ever getting on TV when you can't even move the damn cameras around the ****ing 7 man bunkers and don't allow any time for instant replay to at least show cool eliminations (hint: try true xball).

They need to drop like 8 pro teams as they have next to zero chance of winning anyways and are just forcing split deck.

The prizes are also a joke. I don't understand why any divisional player would even bother over just spending that money on practice/local tournies/clinics until they can go pro. You're really paying for a shot at glory and the experience and that's it.
Paintball has been and was on TV for years. ESPN, Fox Sports, Spike TV.... there's not a shred of tangible evidence that any of it helped the game grow. Yes, it's nice to watch the game we love on TV, but the experience for the average viewer will never meet mainstream sports (or even secondary sports).

I'm in no way defending the quality of the grass/playing fields in Philly but I think it's admirable that an apology from the league president was made... probably the first time in history a major tournament promoter has ever apologized for anything publicly.

I've been to all but one NXL event since the league formed and I've been to every PSP and NPPL event dating back to 1993 but for 3 events in 28 years. I'm glad there's an awareness from the league for what is happening in Philly. Trashing what the league has done the past 4-5 years makes no sense to me. I'll take the NXL's past 5 year history over any other 5 year period in tournament history ever.

I'm guessing those that play the game at that level would by and large agree with me. Pre Covid the NXL was not just breaking team attendance numbers, they were crushing them--even in a time when less people are playing the game and the overall size of the game about half of what it was 15 years ago.

Just my 2 cents...
Paintball is a miserable spectator sport. I always reference this as I enjoy playing and would rather watch paint dry than most competive paintball. The only thing I found enjoyable was early (nppl?) where it was Tom Kaye vs the Gardner’s in a village / town looking setup.

Watch the top .5% run points back to back just isn’t super interesting in today’s format for myself and apparently others hence why it’s no longer on espn. And I think Disney and espn are hurting for content too.
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 PM #55
Ball1n Azn

Ball1n Azn plays in the PSP
Ball1n Azn owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Ball1n Azn supports our troops
One could argue that some mainstream sports (soccer, baseball, golf, etc.) aren't great for spectating unless you know or are invested in said sport. The same can be said for paintball. For me, it largely comes down to one question: is it accessible? As in, can said sport be practiced and played at a low cost? The most popular sports can be played with not much more than a ball (or even something resembling a ball). That will never be the case for paintball or any extreme sport for that matter. I haven't done any other extreme sport, but I can't imagine they would be more expensive than paintball. I love paintball, but it's not a sport for the masses.

Having said that, the players/owners that compete in the NXL understand that they won't get much return on their investment if any at all. This is an overused statement, but they play for the love of the game. It would be impossible to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars a year practicing and competing otherwise. They deserve better than playing a national event whose playing surface looks like that. The NPPL had turf at almost every event. Their downfall was simply that paintball could not sustain two formats anymore and they were the less popular of the two. Although, 7-man on turf sounds good right about now. The NXL should at least explore that for consistency's sake.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:43 PM #56
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball1n Azn View Post
One could argue that some mainstream sports (soccer, baseball, golf, etc.) aren't great for spectating unless you know or are invested in said sport. The same can be said for paintball. For me, it largely comes down to one question: is it accessible? As in, can said sport be practiced and played at a low cost? The most popular sports can be played with not much more than a ball (or even something resembling a ball). That will never be the case for paintball or any extreme sport for that matter. I haven't done any other extreme sport, but I can't imagine they would be more expensive than paintball. I love paintball, but it's not a sport for the masses.

Having said that, the players/owners that compete in the NXL understand that they won't get much return on their investment if any at all. This is an overused statement, but they play for the love of the game. It would be impossible to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars a year practicing and competing otherwise. They deserve better than playing a national event whose playing surface looks like that. The NPPL had turf at almost every event. Their downfall was simply that paintball could not sustain two formats anymore and they were the less popular of the two. Although, 7-man on turf sounds good right about now. The NXL should at least explore that for consistency's sake.
I donít know about where you live but if Iím a renter I can play for the same price as a round of golf at a city course and unlike golf I donít need anything the field provides it. If I want to buy some gear unless Iím going and buying brand new top of the line stuff I can spend about what a set of golf clubs costs. Thereís a whole bunch of people playing golf and the cost doesnít scare them away. Sure it can be really expensive if you want to get really competitive with it but for the casual player it doesnít have to be that bad.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:48 PM #57
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Saw a short clip of TB Damage playing today on that field, and seems like a case of things looking worse then it really is. The way they were playing the field conditions seemed like a non issue, and I totally forgot that the conditions were less then ideal. So that’s a good sign I guess. Wish all the athletes at the event good luck and stay injury free!
-Operation Paintball [ woodsball and speedball ]
-DBS Pro Shop and Outdoor Field
-Ryan Podesta Gunfightersports.com
-Dye Precision
-Shocker Paintball and DLX Technologies
-Trademygun.com
-Virtue Paintball- Built To Win
https://virtuepb.com/?sca_ref=667267.6PUbRPX1na
-Adrenaline Paintball
2021 Setups Powered with Powerhouse Regs
-Dye DSR, Powerhouse HAYMKR Extended Reg, 68ci Tank, and CTRL Loader. [ speedball ]
-FLE Emek, Powerhouse HAYMKR Reg, 68ci Tank, and Dye Rotor. [ woodsball]
2021 Speedball Team Gunís 4 Hire: Fight Club and Minigunz
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:22 AM #58
PBSales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Bo View Post
Saw a short clip of TB Damage playing today on that field, and seems like a case of things looking worse then it really is. The way they were playing the field conditions seemed like a non issue, and I totally forgot that the conditions were less then ideal. So that’s a good sign I guess. Wish all the athletes at the event good luck and stay injury free!
Issues are always bigger on the internet than they are in real life.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:04 AM #59
psumark
Lets Get Bombed

plays in the NXL
psumark supports Cereal Killerz 2
psumark plays in the APPA D4 division
psumark supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSales View Post
Issues are always bigger on the internet than they are in real life.
Agreed specially when there's people ready to crucify anything

edit fixed broken brain moment.

Last edited by psumark : 06-25-2021 at 11:33 PM.
psumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:42 AM #60
crazyboarder9999
~~The Insurance Guy John

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Paintball.Media View Post

Just my 2 cents...
The same people who *****ed and moaned about PSP and NPPL are the same ones complaining now. No one is ever happy with anything. I've said it before and I will say it again. If people think they can do better and it is so easy to run something of this size, then go do it. Fix everything you complain about and make the perfect league. I'll be waiting for the call that you need help with insurance in the mean time
Stay low, shoot your lanes and have fun!
Ask me about insurance for your paintball field, league, shop, or products
crazyboarder9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM #61
John-Paintball.Media

Annual Supporting Member
John-Paintball.Media is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboarder9999 View Post
The same people who *****ed and moaned about PSP and NPPL are the same ones complaining now. No one is ever happy with anything. I've said it before and I will say it again. If people think they can do better and it is so easy to run something of this size, then go do it. Fix everything you complain about and make the perfect league. I'll be waiting for the call that you need help with insurance in the mean time
Yep.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:37 PM #62
PBSales

I am watching the webcast right now and there is NOTHING wrong/unsafe about the Pro field. Whatever "Pro" complained about that is a wuss

Can't speak for the other fields of course.

3 pages of whining over a non issue.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:02 PM #63
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSales View Post
I am watching the webcast right now and there is NOTHING wrong/unsafe about the Pro field. Whatever "Pro" complained about that is a wuss

Can't speak for the other fields of course.

3 pages of whining over a non issue.
Damien apparently just wanted some attention. Looks playable to me.

It could be a lot worse. I didn't make the trip but some of my team is up by Chicago for a 5 man mech tournament tomorrow and it looks like they'll be playing in a monsoon.

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.