ReplyNews Ups

Old 06-23-2021, 11:41 AM #22
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by midman112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemower1211 View Post
I've played baseball/softball my whole life. It was my assumption that he was referencing a higher level of play, since we are talking about paying thousands of dollars to play one event, not high school sports that you're not paying to play with the exception of your equipment. Ive seen plenty of really nice highschool fields also, but still the same applies. We are paying to play these tournaments, they arent cheap either. When we would play softball tournaments, we would pay a few hundred dollars and the baselines were sifted and graded, and the fields would be pretty good. Some people actually give a damn about the people that pay to play their tournaments (regardless of sport), and some people dont. In my opinion, the NXL with the way they tend to do some things, dont appear to care.
When people are paying that much money, regardless of sport, the expectation should be that the field of play is in good condition at an absolute bare minimum. With the amount of money the NXL brings in there is absolutely no excuse that those fields were not sodded instead of using plugs in "the hope" they would spread by the time of the event.

On the subject of dirt, I can tell just by looking at the video that has been posted to social media that the dirt is extremely hard packed. Hard to know if it was tilled or even dragged with a hard tined rake to break up the soil before they planted those plugs but I can tell you it makes it damn hard for that grass to spread in soil that compacted. This is also completely different than what you would see on even a modestly kept baseball infield which is a mixture of dirt and calcined clay on top of a hard packed dirt bed that is made to allow for the adequate drainage of water and for players to slide easily across the surface.

tldr;- NXL screwed up, got caught and they don't care. Someone is going to get hurt trying to slide across this crap.
I wouldn’t say they don’t care, Tom cole releases a long statement about it on their Instagram. He’s taking all the blame for it.

I think he should give teams some sort of a discount to their next entry fee though
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2021, 11:50 AM #23
inertstatic

inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
I wouldnít say they donít care, Tom cole releases a long statement about it on their Instagram. Heís taking all the blame for it.

I think he should give teams some sort of a discount to their next entry fee though
Taking the blame is all fine and dandy, but is he going to do anything about it?

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
inertstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:51 AM #24
John-Paintball.Media

Annual Supporting Member
John-Paintball.Media is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Was the psp so good, that you seriously had to go all the way back to 2006? Thatís pretty impressive. I wasnít there, so I canít speak on it.

Turf looks ok from what I can tell.

https://youtu.be/F4qmTJVRotQ
My comment was directed to the person that said the "PSP was way better then the NXL" which is a joke on every level....
Old 06-23-2021, 01:00 PM #25
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Paintball.Media View Post
Quote:
Was the psp so good, that you seriously had to go all the way back to 2006? That’s pretty impressive. I wasn’t there, so I can’t speak on it.

Turf looks ok from what I can tell.

https://youtu.be/F4qmTJVRotQ
My comment was directed to the person that said the "PSP was way better then the NXL" which is a joke on every level....
I’m going to double down and let you know the psp was better then the NXL on almost every aspect. After watching the nxl for the past 5 years, I’ve not been impressed , even a significant of enthusiasm has been lost from me personally. No penalty boxes, split deck, 20 something pro teams all stuffed in the same division, SUPER SLOW LAYOUTS (that’s a personal preference), more webcast issues then ever, though they have fixed it a bit over the past couple of seasons, extremely horribly biased reffing the first few seasons.... venues are about the same level as the psp, but that’s about it. And don’t get me started on that massive W bunker they had up from 2016-2018.

Is there something you think the NXL has done better Then the psp?

Last edited by Trevor the great : 06-23-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:43 PM #26
inertstatic

Quote:
And donít get me started on that massive W bunker they had up from 2016-2018.
Am i the only one who liked the wall? I don't think it should have been used so much... that's a different point though.

Also, saw some more pics of the event and the fields don't look as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
Old 06-23-2021, 01:47 PM #27
nichonitro
^ doesn't know anything

has been a member for 10 years
nichonitro is a Paintball photographer
nichonitro supports Team VICIOUS
I like when people go online to complain about stuff. It's cute.
Don't like something express it with your wallet, not your fingers and move on.

Crying about it doesn't matter. Don't go and they will go out of business or be forced to make a change or maybe the people who do pay money for it just don't care that much about this stuff.
nichonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:05 PM #28
PBSales

Quote:
Originally Posted by facemower1211 View Post
Just so we are clear, are you trying to compare sliding in a manicured dirt line, to sliding in a messed up field that looks like it has crop lines? Dont do that.

And lets be real, players/teams are paying thousands of dollars to play this event. They deserve better, this is pathetic. There are other places within 5 miles of the location the event is at, that they could have worked something out to host the event. NXL wants to continue with this location because they want or have an agreement for future events.
My point was in response to the post I responded too. That this dirt field is more dangerous than any previous field.

I have played in the cow pastures of WC that half the field was across a stone "driveway" I have played in Gettysburg where the grass grows on top of rock (at least it felt like it).
As one guy stated the ground looks very compact. The ground in Pennsylvania is HARD. A small layer of grass isn't going to make that much of a difference other than it is more pretty. It is NOT more dangerous.

As for teams paying thousands of dollars I don't dispute that. If the teams decide the experience is not worth the money they can quit (like so many players, teams and myself have done over the years).
Old 06-23-2021, 02:59 PM #29
facemower1211
BDM

facemower1211 supports Team VICIOUS
facemower1211 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSales View Post
As for teams paying thousands of dollars I don't dispute that. If the teams decide the experience is not worth the money they can quit (like so many players, teams and myself have done over the years).
For sure, but for people that booked hotels, plane tickets, any kind of travel in general, to see this a few days ahead of the event, have a bad decision to make. They either dont travel, and lose on the entry fee, hotel, travel, or they come and have to play on this. Its not about quitting the game, its about losing money they already have invested in this event.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:11 PM #30
John-Paintball.Media

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Iím going to double down and let you know the psp was better then the NXL on almost every aspect. After watching the nxl for the past 5 years, Iíve not been impressed , even a significant of enthusiasm has been lost from me personally. No penalty boxes, split deck, 20 something pro teams all stuffed in the same division, SUPER SLOW LAYOUTS (thatís a personal preference), more webcast issues then ever, though they have fixed it a bit over the past couple of seasons, extremely horribly biased reffing the first few seasons.... venues are about the same level as the psp, but thatís about it. And donít get me started on that massive W bunker they had up from 2016-2018.

So, yes a lot of this comes down to personal preferences... like not wanting to drive to the middle of nowhere for the World Cup at Fantasy of Flight. Or not wanting Dynasty and Russian Legion playing in their own weak division, while the All Americans, Strange, Trauma and the other best teams in the world played in the original NXL. Or the league playing 15 years in a row in Chicago. Or holding "professional" events at existing paintball fields, with no spectators. Or one cheating scandal after another... or illegibly ramping guns...

And for me the vibe at PSP events for a decade sucked. Promoters fighting with each other, no atmosphere (crap grandstands, no beer on site, crap food), disorganized check in for teams and media... and absolutely no accountability.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:49 PM #31
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Quote:
I’m going to double down and let you know the psp was better then the NXL on almost every aspect. After watching the nxl for the past 5 years, I’ve not been impressed , even a significant of enthusiasm has been lost from me personally. No penalty boxes, split deck, 20 something pro teams all stuffed in the same division, SUPER SLOW LAYOUTS (that’s a personal preference), more webcast issues then ever, though they have fixed it a bit over the past couple of seasons, extremely horribly biased reffing the first few seasons.... venues are about the same level as the psp, but that’s about it. And don’t get me started on that massive W bunker they had up from 2016-2018.

So, yes a lot of this comes down to personal preferences... like not wanting to drive to the middle of nowhere for the World Cup at Fantasy of Flight. Or not wanting Dynasty and Russian Legion playing in their own weak division, while the All Americans, Strange, Trauma and the other best teams in the world played in the original NXL. Or the league playing 15 years in a row in Chicago. Or holding "professional" events at existing paintball fields, with no spectators. Or one cheating scandal after another... or illegibly ramping guns...

And for me the vibe at PSP events for a decade sucked. Promoters fighting with each other, no atmosphere (crap grandstands, no beer on site, crap food), disorganized check in for teams and media... and absolutely no accountability.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
If you wanna say the dynasty, infamous, avalanche, Russian legion, naughty dogs and XSV bracket was weak, then that’s a different topic. Blame that on the nppl and psp

But I just looked at the philly fields, maybe watering them down might be a good idea, to turn that dirt into mud? That dirt looks hard as a rock to be honest. The only thing I do agree with you about the PSP was the sideline coaching.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:00 PM #32
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:
...the middle of nowhere for the World Cup at Fantasy of Flight...
Hey now, Kermit Weeks has that facility in the boonies for good reasons.

Granted, not an ideal location for a paintball event. I'd go there in a heartbeat for a full tour of his aircraft collection though. Guy's got some amazing stuff.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 PM #33
John-Paintball.Media

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
If you wanna say the dynasty, infamous, avalanche, Russian legion, naughty dogs and XSV bracket was weak, then thatís a different topic. Blame that on the nppl and psp.
Weak compared to the NXL for sure -- and even if you don't agree with that, the leagues still split up the best competition so Dynasty could never play the All A's or Trauma... or whoever.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:55 PM #34
(dr)

Saying sorry does nothing.

If I steal your wallet and say sorry, will you feel better?

NXL is ***. Their bunker sets have been garbage from the inception and they continue to just be a worse PSP.

Paintball has zero chance of ever getting on TV when you can't even move the damn cameras around the ****ing 7 man bunkers and don't allow any time for instant replay to at least show cool eliminations (hint: try true xball).

They need to drop like 8 pro teams as they have next to zero chance of winning anyways and are just forcing split deck.

The prizes are also a joke. I don't understand why any divisional player would even bother over just spending that money on practice/local tournies/clinics until they can go pro. You're really paying for a shot at glory and the experience and that's it.
(dr) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:02 PM #35
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Quote:
If you wanna say the dynasty, infamous, avalanche, Russian legion, naughty dogs and XSV bracket was weak, then that’s a different topic. Blame that on the nppl and psp.
Weak compared to the NXL for sure -- and even if you don't agree with that, the leagues still split up the best competition so Dynasty could never play the All A's or Trauma... or whoever.
Pretty sure Russian legion literally ran train on everyone in the nxl division the following year when they joined, but ok bud! weren’t they 16-2 going into World Cup in 05? So much for the competition being tougher, because they took more losses in the “open” division then in the NXL division. LOLZ. And All As never had to face dynasty, Avalanche or XSV. Guess those wins aren’t legit by your logic then!

Also I don’t even think trauma was good up until World Cup, they were around a .500 record team, probably 10 wins, 10 losses. Very similar story to the 2020 vegas ironmen

Last edited by Trevor the great : 06-23-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Trevor the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:08 AM #36
natexcarr
Doesn't need friends

The timing of the announcement is telling. They knew this grass wouldn't be ready weeks ago but slow rolled a statement to put the players between a rock and a hard place, knowing full well there wasn't enough time for changes to be made to travel and accommodations they'd already secured. Seems a bit scummy, imo.

This is the sort of thing you're only comfortable trying to get away with when you know you're the only show in town. Change never comes without a viable alternative to the NXL or the players collectively voting with their wallets and opting out of subsidizing sub-par national events.
natexcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:06 AM #37
p8ntballa2k

p8ntballa2k is a founding member
p8ntballa2k owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
p8ntballa2k owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Shouldn’t the title of this thread be *NXL Mid-Atlantic Major Major Issues*?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:10 AM #38
The_Southern_Oracle
I'm Dead Sexy!!!

The_Southern_Oracle is a Supporting Member
 is playing at Living Legends XI
The_Southern_Oracle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballa2k View Post
Shouldnít the title of this thread be *NXL Mid-Atlantic Major Major Issues*?
i'll fix it..

FAT BALLERS
The_Southern_Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:10 AM #39
nichonitro
^ doesn't know anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by (dr) View Post
Saying sorry does nothing.

If I steal your wallet and say sorry, will you feel better?

NXL is ***. Their bunker sets have been garbage from the inception and they continue to just be a worse PSP.

Paintball has zero chance of ever getting on TV when you can't even move the damn cameras around the ****ing 7 man bunkers and don't allow any time for instant replay to at least show cool eliminations (hint: try true xball).

They need to drop like 8 pro teams as they have next to zero chance of winning anyways and are just forcing split deck.

The prizes are also a joke. I don't understand why any divisional player would even bother over just spending that money on practice/local tournies/clinics until they can go pro. You're really paying for a shot at glory and the experience and that's it.

should we cut 1/3 of all Major league teams because they have no chance of winning also?

We have cornhole on tv... paintball could be on tv is someone cared enough to make it happen or enough money was around to make it worth watching.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 AM #40
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichonitro View Post
should we cut 1/3 of all Major league teams because they have no chance of winning also?

We have cornhole on tv... paintball could be on tv is someone cared enough to make it happen or enough money was around to make it worth watching.
Got to figure out who's going to pony up the advertising dollars to get it on TV. Like cornhole has Johnsonville Brats I think that picks up the bulk of the sponsorship money that buys their spot on ESPN. Paintball needs the same thing. Outside of the 4 major sports ESPN is getting paid by those other sports to get on tv. I mean Formula 1 has Mothers Polish pay to broadcast the biggest motorsport on the planet because they can't sell enough ads otherwise to make money on it.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM #41
nichonitro
^ doesn't know anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Got to figure out who's going to pony up the advertising dollars to get it on TV. Like cornhole has Johnsonville Brats I think that picks up the bulk of the sponsorship money that buys their spot on ESPN. Paintball needs the same thing. Outside of the 4 major sports ESPN is getting paid by those other sports to get on tv. I mean Formula 1 has Mothers Polish pay to broadcast the biggest motorsport on the planet because they can't sell enough ads otherwise to make money on it.
That is not quite how it works. In the space I work in we do not pay NBCSN to put our show/events on TV they pay us and our sponsors Pay us to sponsor our events. We produce our show like most people do.

(I work for one of most broadcast live broadcast events on NBC, we were the last on the air during covid and the first back on)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:24 PM #42
inertstatic

Joel Eaton just posted on his FB feed, a pic of the grass/ground and said "this is not safe"

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.