Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-01-2021, 04:30 PM #1
Rob70

1st Gen Automags

I played a lot in the early 90’s. My son is playing now with a new electronic marker. I want to get out with him but not like an every weekend thing. I’m curious if anyone still uses the old original automags. I have three first generation automags, I figure they have to still be better than a rental and maybe worth fixing up. Am I wrong?
Rob70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 PM #2
mtnsnowridr

The Automag is superior to any rental gun always and forever :~) Run it!
mtnsnowridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:06 PM #3
Skipdogg

Automags are better than rentals all day, everyday. Get them up and running!
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 PM #4
Infrared527

Automags are immortal

I got mine in the late 90's, still play recreationally with my teenagers, friends, and their kids at least once a year. We've got a circus of different markers from garage sale finds to brand-new shiny's. They all love my automag (68 classic, no mods, just barrel and grip), and I make sure to give them each a try, so they know what they're missing ;-)

I horribly under-maintain the thing, and it performs like a champ, year after year!
Infrared527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:41 PM #5
MeowMeowMeow
Forgot my old SN & PWs...

In my frugal opinion there is no real need to run electronic markers for recreational play. Shoot what you have (automags are great) and save the money food afterwards.

if you like, get an electronic hopper to help prevent chopping
MeowMeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:09 PM #6
Dusty Bottoms_AGD

I usually play once a month, and I've been using mags every time I play for over ten years. Compared to modern mechanical rentals, a classic valve Automag is still superior to all of them except the Emek. The Emek, which I also use, does have an edge over the Automag but then again it's thirty years newer. Like the guy above said, there's not a real reason to use electos for recball at most fields now. The bps cap is a pretty docile 10.5bps at most fields now, which is within reach of mechanical cockers, mags, emeks, shocker cvo's, etc. I'd buy a nice new thermal mask though. Those HAVE improved by leaps and bounds. Airgun Designs is still in business and sells parts kits to replace all those old orings too so check them out.
Dusty Bottoms_AGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:11 AM #7
MagFan
Schoolin' Fools Since '98

has been a member for 10 years
I still use my Mag, the same one I've had for 20 years. It's my most favorite gun. Check your nubbins before you play. The steel ones don't like some of the new smaller paint. You might need to bend them down a bit or risk chopping.
Joshua 24:15
"But if you don't want to serve the Lord, you must choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord."
MagFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:12 AM #8
cyberpyr8
walkthefield.com

has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagFan View Post
I still use my Mag, the same one I've had for 20 years. It's my most favorite gun. Check your nubbins before you play. The steel ones don't like some of the new smaller paint. You might need to bend them down a bit or risk chopping.
With a username of MagFan I don't know that you have much of a choice!

I keep thinking about getting an AutoMag. They seem simple and cool and owners love them. If I were to start looking for one, what should I look for or stay away from? I saw one on facebook that has 2 macro lines on it. What's that about lol?

Clothes: Custom Carbon Zero More Coverage Mask | Carbon SC base layer | Jersey Clinics Jerseys | CK Hefe 2.5 Bandana Pants | Shulook Hiking Shoes
Field Gear: 37in. Husky Tool Box | PE Gun Bags | 10x10 Tent | Guru Gun Stands | USB Fans
Home Field: Hoppers, Savannah GA
Previous Gear

Last edited by cyberpyr8 : 04-22-2021 at 10:57 AM.
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:57 PM #9
Morgenstern

That's a beaut! Kind of a old RT feel to it.

The bottom macro goes from the ASA to an expansion chamber. Useful for CO2. The top macro goes from the vertical ASA to the actual "guts" of the marker. They are basically regulators. Easy to work on, simple to deal with, and rarely ever have an issue.
Morgenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:30 PM #10
Micahj666
Mke518

Thumbs up

mags rule!
Micahj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:30 PM #11
junkyguns12

I just used a automag with a revvy hopper this weekend. It worked great playing mech with other newbies.

Only problem I had is double feeds sometime. I plan on picking up a docs autococker adapter for it to run a freak barrel.
junkyguns12 is offline   Reply With Quote