Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 AM #1
snakeshooterx10
notnotALLCAPS

I think rock music is dead, prove me wrong.

Seriously, is there any good rock bands that are new to the scene or still making good albums? Been listening to The Black Keys lately, they've been around for a long *** time since I first heard them back in 2004 or so, but they still put out good music. I feel the same way about Cage The Elephant, even though they're newer to the scene, they still put out albums and the few I've heard have been good.

But are there any other bands out there that are current that I should be listening to? I don't get down with that death metal anal **** ****er music, but I generally like most other forms of rock. and I'm not a big fan of that poppy alternative **** really either. Some of it's okay, but the majority barely sounds like rock. I find myself listening to too many old albums that I still enjoy, but eventually you hear them too much and I need something else.

I don't want to lose faith in the rock genre, but I already am. I don't want to feel this way..
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM #2
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
The Struts. Not new-new, but really good. Especially live.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 PM #3
Wartortle

Check out Ded
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 PM #4
LiamBarnes46

Rock is great and has always been great. To find some new stuff, log into any internet radio that offers stations based on a song. Put in a song that you like and the station will generate a playlist for you with new music similar to the song you like. it's a great way to find new music.
LiamBarnes46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:46 AM #5
rosin

Rock is a dying breed I fear :/
rosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:26 PM #6
TexasTangent

TexasTangent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TexasTangent has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TexasTangent supports Ninja Paintball
Not sure they are Rock but I think Tedeschi Trucks Band is the best live band I know of at the moment.
TexasTangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM #7
paintballcapt062
Dr. Logic

plays in the NXL
paintballcapt062 plays in the MiLP
paintballcapt062 plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballcapt062 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Depends on what you mean as dead and how you define the genre of rock and what space you allow rock music to take up in the modern world. Is rock dead, No not by a long shot. The genre is returning to its roots and changing its course from artists like Nickleback, Breaking Benjamin, and others to move into a genre of protest with new(ish) groups taking the main stage, so to speak as the U.S. moves into its current political cycle.
Additionally, rock as it was portrayed through the mid 2000's to present has stale lyrical content that fans are not wanting to listen to because times change and people change. Will we see a decade long enduring rock band emerge, possibly but also and more likely, no. As rock sits in a lull created by the changing of times, we are simply awaiting a reinvention of the genre to move past the bro-cenric lyrics that were popularized by bad musicians.
SUPPORTED BY: Nitro Paintball Virtue Paintball
#1 In the Timmy Propst Fan Club
paintballcapt062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 PM #8
snakeshooterx10
notnotALLCAPS

You'd think with Trump in office there'd at least be a new wave of punk music, but I haven't seen **** yet. I guess nothing will ever be as good as it used to be, but it's like when I was growing up, even on pop radio stations, rock music was basically the predominant genre played. Of course it was bands like Papa Roach, Yellowcard, Nickleback, etc. But at least it wasn't this ****ty rap ****ery and Katy goddamn Perry.

I wouldn't mind if rock went down any former road that didn't happen in the last 17 years. I can still jam to some old pop rock **** from the 90's, but damn if there was another wave of grunge music or something less *****like, that'd be cool.

and I know there are new rising punk bands out there if you look hard enough to find them, but most of them are coming up in other countries because those ****ers have the balls to rebel. I feel with current US politics you have one side who wouldn't make music insulting to current politics because they're swinging from Trump's nutsack, and then you have one side who wants **** to change, they're just too *****-like to do much of anything about it.

Bring GG Allin back.

Last edited by snakeshooterx10 : 11-16-2017 at 11:39 PM.
snakeshooterx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM #9
Harrison57

Harrison57 owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
Harrison57 supports Team VICIOUS
Harrison57 supports Team VICIOUS
Harrison57 supports DLX Technology
Greta Van Fleet. Nuff said
Harrison57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 PM #10
paintballcapt062
Dr. Logic

plays in the NXL
paintballcapt062 plays in the MiLP
paintballcapt062 plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballcapt062 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeshooterx10 View Post
You'd think with Trump in office there'd at least be a new wave of punk music, but I haven't seen **** yet. I guess nothing will ever be as good as it used to be, but it's like when I was growing up, even on pop radio stations, rock music was basically the predominant genre played. Of course it was bands like Papa Roach, Yellowcard, Nickleback, etc. But at least it wasn't this ****ty rap ****ery and Katy goddamn Perry.

I wouldn't mind if rock went down any former road that didn't happen in the last 17 years. I can still jam to some old pop rock **** from the 90's, but damn if there was another wave of grunge music or something less *****like, that'd be cool.

and I know there are new rising punk bands out there if you look hard enough to find them, but most of them are coming up in other countries because those ****ers have the balls to rebel. I feel with current US politics you have one side who wouldn't make music insulting to current politics because they're swinging from Trump's nutsack, and then you have one side who wants **** to change, they're just too *****-like to do much of anything about it.

Bring GG Allin back.
You must be looking in all of the wrong places. You will find punk, Straight Edge Hardcore, Hardcore, and man other genres that spawned from the 70's-80's making a resurgence. Look at FEST this year, and you will see the resurgence. I think you are not looking in the right spots to find the music you are searching for.
The PNW is home to a burgeoning female metalcore scene related to protesting Trump. With Music you have to figure out where to look. Ilikedyoubetterdead.com used to be my go to place for music and I have not been there in a while. I usually look at tumblr and some other places to find it as well.
If you want Rock to return to main stream, it may be a while because right now synthed beats and first grade vocabulary words are all we are going to get. I would hate to infer that the rap cypher is broken but to 40 and hip hop cyphers have been whack as **** for a long time.
SUPPORTED BY: Nitro Paintball Virtue Paintball
#1 In the Timmy Propst Fan Club
paintballcapt062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:10 AM #11
kerplink

kerplink owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
kerplink supports Ninja Paintball
I think it'll be hard to ever call rock dead because off how broad the term is.. and I'd argue that some music out now is better than ever. Just hard to find any of it amongst the bull**** music that gets promoted. If you haven't, I'd check out Highly Suspect, Radio Moscow, or maybe even some Sturgill Simpson depending on your taste. If you're into punk look up The Stupid Stupid Henchmen.

Also: The Heavy, Gary Clark jr., The Beautiful Girls

Last edited by kerplink : 11-23-2017 at 04:19 AM.
kerplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:46 PM #12
Doski

I can understand but sides of that argument
Doski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:40 PM #13
snakeshooterx10
notnotALLCAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplink View Post
I think it'll be hard to ever call rock dead because off how broad the term is.. and I'd argue that some music out now is better than ever. Just hard to find any of it amongst the bull**** music that gets promoted. If you haven't, I'd check out Highly Suspect, Radio Moscow, or maybe even some Sturgill Simpson depending on your taste. If you're into punk look up The Stupid Stupid Henchmen.

Also: The Heavy, Gary Clark jr., The Beautiful Girls
Right on for the suggestion of The Stupid Stupid Henchmen. Never heard of them, but I like it. Vocalist sounds very similar to Stza Crack, which isn't a bad thing really.

I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions in this thread.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM #14
hardrock2401

The rock that matters will live on.
hardrock2401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM #15
snakeshooterx10
notnotALLCAPS

Lies!
Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM #16
Dabadiledundee

Dabadiledundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM #17
Novaman70

if you are into the Zeppelin sound Greta van flet is bad ***. Volbeat has a metallica meets Jonny cash sound. I'm also partial to the overall feeling I get with five finger death punch. Zakk wyldes 2 solo album have an Eric Clapton blues vibe I really dig
Novaman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 PM #18
FedoraGentleman

It's going more underground I would say.
FedoraGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:32 PM #19
an94
Pirate till death

Indian Wars...
Its just changing into the underground style
https://youtu.be/ArdUkG3NXOQ
Old 04-01-2021, 07:38 AM #20
SynysterPB
Bob Long > Anything Else

SynysterPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
There's always Avenged Sevenfold (A7X). The band is still making music and still sticking together. Recently there hasn't been much out from them supposedly because of COVID.

Guns: SP Shocker XLS+CVO Black with kinda rare pink accents, GI/Bob Long Victus, DP E2, Azodin KPC, First Strike Scout, Midnight Empire Resurrection.

Hopper/Tank/Misc. HK 68/4500 areolite, Spire IR, HK Speedloader, HK Zero G, HK Armpads, HK crash pants, HK dryfit skulls jersey (Customized), HK KLRs, Team USA Proflex, Under Armor High-Top cleats, HK OG Series flying skulls jersey (Girlfriend took my old one :/)
SynysterPB is offline   Reply With Quote