Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-14-2020, 02:52 PM #1
ILuvBacon

How does 2020 paintball differ from 1990 paintball?

Hi, new member, old player! I started playing in the late 80s. There was a great local field (still open) and everyone was friendly and honest and we all had a lot of fun. My favorite game was capture the flag as it most resembled actual war games. I had no interest in "speed ball" and just filling the air with paint. The field had splatmaster pistols and some crappy pump rifles for use. I bought a PGP and an Automag. I was a pretty good player and probably still would be. I lost interest when a lot of players started cheating (wiping). I just dug out all of my old gear and playing with my guns, the PGP, Automag, Black Dragun and Piranha. I'm wondering how the game has changed in 30 years. Is it all speedball now? Do they still play capture the flag? Would my guns still be competitive?
ILuvBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2020, 04:15 PM #2
ILuvBacon

I was just wondering how the sport and equipment has evolved. Do very many people even play anymore? It seems like my guns should still be competitive since they shoot straight. Has most switched to compressed air instead of CO2?
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM #3
num3n

has been a member for 10 years
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
I play with the same old grandpa guns vs people with new equipment. If you’re a half way decent player you won’t have any issue. The only issue you may run into is the ridiculously small paint you run into that give you a lot of rollouts with old pumps sometimes. The only thing I would suggest is a new mask. Modern masks are WAY better than they were back in the 90’s. That’s the biggest upgrade to your game I can think of.
num3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM #4
ILuvBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by num3n View Post
I play with the same old grandpa guns vs people with new equipment. If youíre a half way decent player you wonít have any issue. The only issue you may run into is the ridiculously small paint you run into that give you a lot of rollouts with old pumps sometimes. The only thing I would suggest is a new mask. Modern masks are WAY better than they were back in the 90ís. Thatís the biggest upgrade to your game I can think of.
I actually used ski goggles and a headband to protect my ears. I went more for the minimalist Rambo look, especially in summer. Wife beater camo T-shirt and camo pants. Rifle hanging on my shoulder and my holstered PGP for backup. Now it seems that most players are covered from head to toe. Yeah, paintballs sting and leave welts but come on ...