Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-28-2021, 12:18 PM #1
jschmo

M17 Barrel Threads... not A5?

[Posted in the Milsig forum but not getting much traction so posting here as well]

I had a question re: the M17 barrel treads. Can the M17a2 use an A5 barrel? From what I've seen on Youtube, many ppl are indeed able to however according to Valken support and on their website, the M17a2 uses a proprietary thread. This is what they said:

"And yes, there are several aftermarket companies that claim the A5 barrel fits, but I can assure you it does not, and we confirmed this with Milsig. This is why Milsig is manufacturing an M17 to A5 barrel adapter for us and shipping to us next month.... The M17 threads are a smaller diameter than an A5 barrel. So the A5 barrel slides over the M17 threads, but you can twist all you want but the threads won't lock."

I was interested in the Ammotech ATX-9 and their 7" TiPX Freak compatible barrel systems but according to Valken, neither will work, at least not w/o their $22 adapter.

So, does anyone have problems w/ not being able to tighten an A5 barrels onto their Valken M17a2?
jschmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2021, 02:15 PM #2
Bjlly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmo View Post
[Posted in the Milsig forum but not getting much traction so posting here as well]

I had a question re: the M17 barrel treads. Can the M17a2 use an A5 barrel? From what I've seen on Youtube, many ppl are indeed able to however according to Valken support and on their website, the M17a2 uses a proprietary thread. This is what they said:

"And yes, there are several aftermarket companies that claim the A5 barrel fits, but I can assure you it does not, and we confirmed this with Milsig. This is why Milsig is manufacturing an M17 to A5 barrel adapter for us and shipping to us next month.... The M17 threads are a smaller diameter than an A5 barrel. So the A5 barrel slides over the M17 threads, but you can twist all you want but the threads won't lock."

I was interested in the Ammotech ATX-9 and their 7" TiPX Freak compatible barrel systems but according to Valken, neither will work, at least not w/o their $22 adapter.

So, does anyone have problems w/ not being able to tighten an A5 barrels onto their Valken M17a2?
My m17a2 accepts a5 threads

The only issue I'm aware of is fatter than standard barrels don't clear the shroud
Bjlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:35 AM #3
jschmo

Many thanks and that’s what I pretty much thought. Even on Valken’s support, they had an article that said the M17 has A5 threads. When I pointed this out to them after they said it wouldn’t work, they replied that it was a mistake and changed the article so now it says it uses proprietary threads.

Come on, really Milsig/Valken….? You’re really going to try to nickle-and-dime customers for an extra $22 to buy an adapter?

Now, curious, does anyone know if you can also use TiPX barrels? I believe those are also A5 threads and the main difference is the outer diameter of the barrel is 7/8” instead of the typical 1”.
jschmo is offline   Reply With Quote