ReplyNews Ups

Old 03-18-2020, 05:59 AM #22
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neweraballer76 View Post
NXL Bozeman Montana is about to be announced...
That place is trash.

Isn’t that where the guy on the “Big Bang Theory” got robbed when he tried moving there after someone broke into their apartment in Cali?

Lol.
A river runs through it was set there, cancelling out b.b.t.
And let’s not forget the Rialto AND the American computer museum.....
Lol Seriously tho, Gibson guitar factory is there, and a place that size with only 40k ppl? Sign me up. Hell I feel like there’s 40k ppl at my local grocery store fighting over toilet paper
J.J.Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 AM #23
mr2tenths

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
I'd vote West Virginia, currently zero Coronavirus cases there
Probably becuase they drink great moonshine.
mr2tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:18 AM #24
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a founding member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mDub TK View Post
This is all a ruse to ensure the IM do not win back to back chips

4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:39 AM #25
FreakinJB

Hopefully the NXL stays viable based on whatever longer term impact this has. They're probably in a better position than lots of service-based organizations right now but who knows if deposits, etc. can't be recouped.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 PM #26
Matte

Annual Supporting Member
The real question will be, "Will paintball as we know it survive this". Most fields are coming off the slowest time of year which eats up a ton of cash. Most fields make the majority of their income March-June. Most fields have tens of thousands of dollars in deposits they are looking at having to refund. No cash flow tons of cash going out and no end in sight on how long this thing will last. not to mention 1 in 3 may lose their jobs during this event.
Matte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:12 PM #27
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte View Post
The real question will be, "Will paintball as we know it survive this". Most fields are coming off the slowest time of year which eats up a ton of cash. Most fields make the majority of their income March-June. Most fields have tens of thousands of dollars in deposits they are looking at having to refund. No cash flow tons of cash going out and no end in sight on how long this thing will last. not to mention 1 in 3 may lose their jobs during this event.
This. In an ever shrinking sport, can we weather the storm? I’m ready to go back to the woods just so I can keep playing and keep buying paint.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:51 PM #28
BIG T25

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
BIG T25 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte View Post
There will always be places to play paintball, even if there are fewer. The real problem is the fact that a lot of people will be struggling financially which means they can't afford luxuries such as paintball. The 2008 recession was incredibly damaging to paintball and I'm worried we could see something similar here.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:51 PM #29
yeahthatsme
Do Work Son

Annual Supporting Member
yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
yeahthatsme plays in the APPA beginner division
yeahthatsme supports Ninja Paintball
Fields with high overhead(renting/mortgage/etc) will definitely be seeing issues sooner rather than later. The rest just depends on how well they are managed and what options the owners have available plus how long this lasts.

Broseidon, King of the Brocean
yeahthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:25 PM #30
p8ntball1o1

p8ntball1o1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
p8ntball1o1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
F
Old 03-19-2020, 02:29 PM #31
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntball1o1 View Post
F
F is for friends who do stuff together
Old 03-22-2020, 04:17 PM #32
WarpedGreg
Watch. Learn. Win.

Annual Supporting Member
WarpedGreg is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
WarpedGreg posts videos on PbNation
WarpedGreg has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.Strom View Post
F is for friends who do stuff together
U is for you and meeeeee

Florida Atlantic University Alumni
WarpedGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 PM #33
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 supports our troops
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T25 View Post
There will always be places to play paintball, even if there are fewer. The real problem is the fact that a lot of people will be struggling financially which means they can't afford luxuries such as paintball. The 2008 recession was incredibly damaging to paintball and I'm worried we could see something similar here.
Easily the same if not worse paintball environment after this pandemic.
VETERAN MILITIA
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:40 PM #34
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T25 View Post
Easily the same if not worse paintball environment after this pandemic.
Just need to keep playing and buying paint. Its what built the sport, its how itll survive.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM #35
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

If the NXL are smart, they'll be on the phone to Greg Hastings and others to see if they can run a pro invitational epaintball event or three.

NASCAR just did it and it was amazing. F1 and others likewise.

Unfortunately I suspect the extra dev work required to get the games we have up to spec (ie. proper spectator views, real time multiplayer, proper consistent teams etc.) would take months given the tiny budgets involved.

That's assuming the management at the NXL etc. even know what an esport is. If they don't have the appetite, Greg, just do it anyway if you have the resources.

I'd suggest VR paintball with RecRoom but good luck getting headsets (like this one I own) to the pros just now.

Last edited by vijil : 04-02-2020 at 07:29 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:36 PM #36
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
If the NXL are smart, they'll be on the phone to Greg Hastings and others to see if they can run a pro invitational epaintball event or three.

Unfortunately I suspect the extra dev work required to get the games we have up to spec (ie. proper spectator views, real time multiplayer, proper consistent teams etc.) would take months given the tiny budgets involved.

That's assuming the management at the NXL etc. even know what an esport is. If they don't have the appetite, Greg, just do it anyway if you have the resources.

I'd suggest VR paintball with RecRoom but good luck getting headsets (like this one I own) to the pros just now.
I watched the virtual Bahrain F1 race and didn't enjoy it at all. I'm sure it'll get better but it just seemed so thrown together and amateur.

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 PM #37
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post

Budgets! I think we're just hoping the NXL and its teams exist in roughly the same shape after this. I've always thought GoSports has had it coming but I opened my subscription back up just in hopes they stick it through. Many pro players don't have steady careers and the league can only be burning cash when there's no events to take entry for. An arguably smaller economic crisis in the late 2000s delivered a hit that paintball never recovered from. Best of luck to all involved!

Last edited by FreakinJB : 04-02-2020 at 08:10 PM.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 AM #38
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Well, you know me (if you remember from back when I used to post a lot) - I'm very short on pro paintball. The writing has been on the wall for a decade.

What I would love would be if some of the pro teams started esports teams. Same demographic, many of the same skills, and the VR esport elevator is still on the ground floor so entry is cheap. It's time to get on, and they'll have an innate advantage with a built in fan base. Assuming the pro teams still have fan bases. I have no idea. The nation seems pretty dead these days.

Last edited by vijil : 04-03-2020 at 01:44 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.