PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM #64
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
I wonder what the emissions are from making the thing is vs. it's lifetime in burning wood.
What people used before was essentially a campfire. Much of the heat escapes. A Metal plate over the open fire. This is an enclosed stove so the heat is contained inside the sheet metal stove.

To reduce smoke, people preferred to use charcoal which requires heat and wood to make. They are experimenting with chimneys on them to allow people to use straw, grass, etc. and keep the smoke out of their house. Seeing how well it is accepted by the people.

We ALL don't adjust well to change. I remember resisting FAX Machines. A stamp was fine with me. I could buy a LOT of stamps for the price of a fax machine and the long distance charges to send them.

Then fax machines got mostly obsolete...

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM #65
barrel roll
secedere

has been a member for 10 years
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I still send letters, and write checks. I must be some kind of hipster.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM #66
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan

Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I still send letters, and write checks. I must be some kind of hipster.
no you're just old as ****
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM #67
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
What people used before was essentially a campfire. Much of the heat escapes. A Metal plate over the open fire. This is an enclosed stove so the heat is contained inside the sheet metal stove.

To reduce smoke, people preferred to use charcoal which requires heat and wood to make. They are experimenting with chimneys on them to allow people to use straw, grass, etc. and keep the smoke out of their house. Seeing how well it is accepted by the people.
So you don't have an answer, just a handwaving point about how burning wood is inefficient.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM #68
Iamamartianchurch

my father in law was telling me about some contraption you can buy that projects the heat generated by the fire place into the home rather than losing it through das chimney, ja?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM #69
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Well... Ceramic glass doors aren't right enough to prevent back drafts, grates and radiators are crazy dangerous, so that leaves a fireplace insert. Those are pretty much wood stovesinside chimneys.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 PM #70
sucka T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
my father in law was telling me about some contraption you can buy that projects the heat generated by the fire place into the home rather than losing it through das chimney, ja?
I would like to know more about this.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 AM #71
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I have a gas insert.

press switch, have glorious warmth.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 PM #72
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka T. View Post
I would like to know more about this.
It's called a wood stove.

There are also some wood fire boilers available. Super efficient, but very smokey and therefore not good for residential situations. Good for barns and other places without neighbors.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM #73
sucka T.

Interdasting....

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM #74
FreeEnterprise
Trails of Doom

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
global warming... haha!

Actually, I just read a really interesting article about a MIT/Harvard professor who is an actual climatologist and member of the IPCC who is constantly blasting the "drama" around "man made global warming.

You guys should read it, it has some very interesting points...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articl...68.html?page=1

a few quotes from the article for those that who won't click a link...

"A pioneering climate scientist with decades at Harvard and MIT, Lindzen sees his discipline as being deeply compromised by political pressure, data fudging, out-and-out guesswork, and wholly unwarranted alarmism. In a shot across the bow of what many insist is indisputable scientific truth, Lindzen characterizes global warming as “small and .  .  . nothing to be alarmed about.” In the climate debate—on which hinge far-reaching questions of public policy—them’s fightin’ words."

"Where Lindzen hasn’t remained is in the mainstream of his discipline. By the 1980s, global warming was becoming a major political issue. Already, Lindzen was having doubts about the more catastrophic predictions being made. The public rollout of the “alarmist” case, he notes, “was immediately accompanied by an issue of Newsweek declaring all scientists agreed. And that was the beginning of a ‘consensus’ argument. Already by ’88 the New York Times had literally a global warming beat.” Lindzen wasn’t buying it. Nonetheless, he remained in the good graces of mainstream climate science, and in the early 1990s, he was invited to join the IPCC, a U.N.-backed multinational consortium of scientists charged with synthesizing and analyzing the current state of the world’s climate science. Lindzen accepted, and he ended up as a contributor to the 1995 report and the lead author of Chapter 7 (“Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks”) of the 2001 report. Since then, however, he’s grown increasingly distant from prevalent (he would say “hysterical”) climate science, and he is voluminously on record disputing the predictions of catastrophe. "

The Earth’s climate is immensely complex, but the basic principle behind the “greenhouse effect” is easy to understand. The burning of oil, gas, and especially coal pumps carbon dioxide and other gases into the atmosphere, where they allow the sun’s heat to penetrate to the Earth’s surface but impede its escape, thus causing the lower atmosphere and the Earth’s surface to warm. Essentially everybody, Lindzen included, agrees. The question at issue is how sensitive the planet is to increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases (this is called climate sensitivity), and how much the planet will heat up as a result of our pumping into the sky ever more CO2, which remains in the atmosphere for upwards of 1,000 years. (Carbon dioxide, it may be needless to point out, is not a poison. On the contrary, it is necessary for plant life.)

Lindzen doesn’t deny that the climate has changed or that the planet has warmed. “We all agree that temperature has increased since 1800,” he tells me. There’s a caveat, though: It’s increased by “a very small amount. We’re talking about tenths of a degree [Celsius]. We all agree that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. All other things kept equal, [there has been] some warming. As a result, there’s hardly anyone serious who says that man has no role. And in many ways, those have never been the questions. The questions have always been, as they ought to be in science, how much?”

If Lindzen is right about this and global warming is nothing to worry about, why do so many climate scientists, many with résumés just as impressive as his, preach imminent doom? He says it mostly comes down to the money—to the incentive structure of academic research funded by government grants. Almost all funding for climate research comes from the government, which, he says, makes scientists essentially vassals of the state. And generating fear, Lindzen contends, is now the best way to ensure that policymakers keep the spigot open.

The entire article is worth a read... Especially from the scientifically trained people on this board who have spouted the "consensus" argument about man made global warming by scientists.

Follow Trails of Doom on Instagram,
twitter, facebook and youtube
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM #75
F1VENOM

A shill who published shoddy work and takes money from climate change deniers says we shouldn't be worried, big surprise.

/FE
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 AM #76
Iamamartianchurch

The preaching of immanent doom is cultural. Shifts in climate will occur gradually and cause ecological pressures to tip over certain human populations, but the fantasy of imminent extinction events or some other equally fantastical scenerario are embedded culturally where one chooses between the binary and the opposite of that choice is apocalypse.

Then, there is the very real need to get people emotionally invested before you can enact change on s societal level. If one were interested in maintaining business as usual, then one would be very inclined and emotionally invested in highlighting any stumble or revision in climate science. Revision has happened by the way, global warming was dropped for the more accurate: climate change. Despite changes in the nature of the outcome, what has remained consistent is the measurable effects of large scale human activity on the climate. regionally and globally.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 01-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM #77
Umami
Hitmanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
global warming... haha!

Actually, I just read a really interesting article about a MIT/Harvard professor who is an actual climatologist
Actually, he's an atmospheric physicist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lindzen
There is agreement that there is a greenhouse effect, and that doubling CO{-2}, in the absence of any feedbacks, will lead to warming on the order of 1 C.

There is agreement that CO{-2} in the atmosphere is increasing, and that current levels are about 35 percent greater than pre-industrial levels; there is agreement that much of this increase is probably the result of industrial emissions.

There is agreement that, when combined with other increasing greenhouse gases (methane, nitrous oxide, etc.), the total man-made greenhouse forcing is about 80 percent of what one expects from a doubling of CO{-2}. That is to say, we are effectively pretty close to a doubling of CO{-2} in terms of greenhouse impact.
Glad to hear you're on board, FE.

Quote:
The preaching of immanent doom is cultural. Shifts in climate will occur gradually and cause ecological pressures to tip over certain human populations, but the fantasy of imminent extinction events or some other equally fantastical scenerario are embedded culturally where one chooses between the binary and the opposite of that choice is apocalypse.
The thing that gets me is it's entirely due to shortsightedness. I don't think anyone convinced of climate change on a rational basis believes it's going to lead to an extinction event; they're concerned about the massive long-term economic and social costs of such changes. The old protestant ethos "a little pain now is better than a lot of pain later".

Quote:
Then, there is the very real need to get people emotionally invested before you can enact change on s societal level. If one were interested in maintaining business as usual, then one would be very inclined and emotionally invested in highlighting any stumble or revision in climate science. Revision has happened by the way, global warming was dropped for the more accurate: climate change. Despite changes in the nature of the outcome, what has remained consistent is the measurable effects of large scale human activity on the climate. regionally and globally.
Eh, global warming is still accurate. Climate change is just a better description of the impact on any specific person.

Last edited by Umami : 01-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM #78
Iamamartianchurch

People have a high tendency to think in the short term and relate that with the highest sense of urgency. As a consequence of that, people tend to be motivated less by rational argument. I think that becomes more prominent, the longer a society or an individual has been doing things a certain way. Especially in terms of dealing with a crisis. If one arrives, the first instinct is to throw the usual solution at it. If it fails, boom, the world is over.

shhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuussssshhhhhh man. I'm trying to steer these bastards away from herpaherd this years colder than ever. since your guys repeated appeals to the models isn't working on them.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM #79
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
I think it is nice that the ice sheets are giant this year.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:48 PM #80
Umami
Hitmanimal

Quote:
shhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuussssshhhhhh man. I'm trying to steer these bastards away from herpaherd this years colder than ever. since your guys repeated appeals to the models isn't working on them.
Sorry, I always forget the majority couldn't correctly interpret something as simple as an average to save their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I think it is nice that the ice sheets are giant this year.

Antarctica has not yet seen significant warming:
Quote:
Most of Antarctica has yet to see dramatic warming. However, the Antarctic Peninsula, which juts out into warmer waters north of Antarctica, has warmed 2.5 degrees Celsius (4.5 degrees Fahrenheit) since 1950. A large area of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is also losing mass, probably because of warmer water deep in the ocean near the Antarctic coast. In East Antarctica, no clear trend has emerged, although some stations appear to be cooling slightly. Overall, scientists believe that Antarctica is starting to lose ice, but so far the process has not become as quick or as widespread as in Greenland.
http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/icesheets.html

From IPCC Working Group II (2007)
Quote:
Changes in ice sheets and polar glaciers: Increased melting is expected on Arctic glaciers and the Greenland ice sheet, and they will retreat and thin close to their margins. Most of the Antarctic ice sheet is likely to thicken as a result of increased precipitation. There is a small risk, however, that the West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets will retreat in coming centuries.
Here's a video of the extent of the ice sheet's relative consistency:

The arctic ice sheet is still down significantly:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/20...d-bumpy-climb/

Last edited by Umami : 01-08-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM #81
licence2kill
POOP

http://www.popsci.com/article/scienc...EmHpep70yiI.01

FE irate, losing hope
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM #82
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
Clearly a libtard agenda exists in the scientific community.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM #83
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
So is it the stuff we're doing now, or the stuff from the industrial revolution that is causing this?

I understand how "global warming" makes winters colder. I also think it was incredibly stupid to call it global warming, and the asshats that claim a new global catastrophe every generation or so need to be slapped (iceage people form the 60's are a perfect example). If it was just explained that the planet (seas and atmosphere) are retaining energy more because of the **** floating in the air, all this stupid crap might have been avoided. That and we kill off the green wing of the communist philosophy, literally, with fire.

Last edited by barrel roll : 01-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM #84
Iamamartianchurch

I read somewhere that we're in for weather of the extremes rather than a global this, or that. Dunno, haven't checked, if I need to move I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Industry is a part, it's an easy target because it excuses human tendencies to thoughtlessly expand. It isn't like we haven't introduced changes in climate in the past, before industry. Though ignoring that makes it easier to sell "green" products without actually making any changes in lifestyle. Having your cake and all that.