Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-13-2020, 09:06 PM #1
Zachvu

Mask Suggestions

I’ve seen everyone saying to buy a good mask before a marker, any suggestions on where to start? Probably looking used, and playing woodsball so neutral colors are a plus! Also, what’s a thermal lens all about?
Zachvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2020, 10:55 PM #2
jtcraig93
P.E. ETEK 5 & Spyder Xtra

jtcraig93 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Thermal lens is to prevent fogging. Essentially a dual panned lens to keep the lens from rapidly fogging during heavy breathing.

And yes, before a marker a lot of people recommend the mask first. Great masks can be had for cheaper if you know what you want. And it doesn't have to break the bank.

A lot of people recommend the Empire E-flex to start with and they are a great mask. Also the V-force profiler is another great option. I personally like Dye Precision products myself and went with the Dye SE which is a little more outdated by today's standards. But for forty bucks was really worth it to me.
jtcraig93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 AM #3
cyberpyr8
walkthefield.com

has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
If you can't see them, you can't shoot them is what I always tell people. Having a good mask is critical to enjoying to play.

You can get HK KLR's for around $100 new. You can get Push mask, which in my opinion are the best ones on the market, for as low as $100 if you look around. You can get other masks cheaper but I think you are going to end up in that price range (or higher) eventually.

The best bet would be look at masks at your local field to try and decide what fits you and you like best. I bought too many masks online only to try them and hate them. If you have a store near you you can try one to see if you like the feel of it. Everyone's head is different and you might find you like one better than the other if you try it on first.

The other issue is being able to breathe and/or hear and speak well in them. I had a Sly Profit mask (same as the current Valken Identity) that I thought was the most comfortable mask I have ever worn. But you can't hear or speak in them very well. But you don't know that until you try it on.

JTCraig93 mentioned the Vforce and eflex. See, I hate those masks because I get shot in the head and I always get paint in my mouth with them. The KLR's Bunker King CMD's and Push I don't. I love the look of the Vforce masks but everyone I have owned I had to sell or give away because I couldn't stand getting fat lips from paint coming through. My son doesn't get shot in the mask as much and loves it. So it really can make a difference to try it on and see if you like it if you can.
Clothes: Custom Carbon Zero More Coverage Mask | Carbon SC base layer | Jersey Clinics Jerseys | CK Hefe 2.5 Bandana Pants | Shulook Hiking Shoes
Field Gear: 37in. Husky Tool Box | PE Gun Bags | 10x10 Tent | Guru Gun Stands | USB Fans
Home Field: Hoppers, Savannah GA
Previous Gear
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:20 PM #4
lew
Timebomb Generation

I've used JT Spectras since the late '90's and recently got a Pro Flex. I've tried other masks, but these JT's are, for me, the most comfortable and breathable and afford an excellent field of view.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 PM #5
shadow191

I live in GA and in summer, a thermal lens is really helpful to prevent fogging with the high heat and humidity. I have 2 V-Force Profilers and it's a good mask but downside is hard to clean. There's a gap between the edge of lens and frame which catches a ton of paint so you have to pull lens afterwards. Haven't had too much issue getting shot in the mouth area, I get a lot of bounces there.

I also have the V-Force Grill which is nice but it's a bit small and leaves a gap at the top of forehead so need to wear headband of some kind or other covering.

But pricing of V-Force is relatively reasonable.
shadow191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:44 PM #6
Zachvu

Good info on the thermal lens! I’m down in the desert of southern Utah with relatively low humidity, but temperatures get up to 110 to 115 this time of year. That will definitely make you sweat enough to make up for the humidity!

Do the thermal lenses also help with fogging created by moisture off your face, or they only help with the temperature difference between your face and the air temps?
Zachvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:23 AM #7
cyberpyr8
walkthefield.com

Thermal will help period. I'm in an extremely humid area so we sweat really bad on top of the heat and humidity. Thermal will help prevent fogging no matter where it comes from. The mask design can also help with that. The Push I have has the adjustable nose bridge to direct air down away from the lens. That will help stop fogging by stopping most of your breath from coming up. Sweating down into it should be slowed down on any mask by the foam around the lens. I know the KLR's I have also seem to do a good job of stopping air from coming up into the mask area. With the flexes, they are so open they don't trap your breath. Some masks are just better about airflow than others. The other alternative is to add a Fanz kit or something similar that has small fans that pushes a small amount of air across the lens and stops fogging. This is also really helpful if you have glasses. My son wears glasses and with some masks the thermal lens didn't fog but his glasses did. He doesn't have that problem with Push mask. Before that we used the Fanz kit and it stopped it too. Even sweating down into the mask didn't affect him.
Clothes: Custom Carbon Zero More Coverage Mask | Carbon SC base layer | Jersey Clinics Jerseys | CK Hefe 2.5 Bandana Pants | Shulook Hiking Shoes
Field Gear: 37in. Husky Tool Box | PE Gun Bags | 10x10 Tent | Guru Gun Stands | USB Fans
Previous Gear
Old 09-18-2020, 08:13 AM #8
TroyT8

do you see any issue with buying a used mask as long as its in good condtion vs new?
TroyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM #9
jtcraig93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyT8 View Post
do you see any issue with buying a used mask as long as its in good condtion vs new?
I always try to buy new when I can for soft goods. Only reason is I think about all the sweat that someone probably (understandably) did while wearing things like a mask/headband. If it were me, I'd always look at new. Even if it is entry level-grade stuff. Just my two cents.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:10 PM #10
cyberpyr8
walkthefield.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcraig93 View Post
I always try to buy new when I can for soft goods. Only reason is I think about all the sweat that someone probably (understandably) did while wearing things like a mask/headband. If it were me, I'd always look at new. Even if it is entry level-grade stuff. Just my two cents.
I agree. Buying masks used does seem weird. I bought my last one used but that was the only one I have ever done that with, and only because I wanted to try a push mask for cheap rather than spending $200 on a mask I didn't like. I just bought a new one because I know I like them and wanted to update it. I try to always buy new on clothes and masks.
Previous Gear
Old 09-18-2020, 02:54 PM #11
Mr. Charlie

If you are going to buy a used Mask make sure you buy a new Lens for it. You never know what the other person did and I wouldn’t want to take any chances with my eyesight!

The Bunkerkings CMD and HK Army KLR are two Masks that I’d recommend. I think the CMD is the best mask, it has plenty of ventilation which makes it good for communicating and breathing.
Dye Whiteout M3s, Dye Black and Silver IM Pro DSR+, MacDev Aqua Camo Clone GTI, and Black Empire Resurrection Pump - Ninja SL2 77/4500 tanks with PowerHouse TKO Tank Regulators - Spyder Sonix with Empire Pure Energy 48/3000 - Jax Shredders - CRBN Paintball - Punisher’s PB
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:27 PM #12
Lazarus78

just an fyi the vforce grill and profiler are not true dual paned lenses. they are "thermo-cured".

i think the best value true dual paned mask is the dye se. you can pick them up from amazon for $50
Lazarus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 PM #13
jtcraig93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus78 View Post
just an fyi the vforce grill and profiler are not true dual paned lenses. they are "thermo-cured".

i think the best value true dual paned mask is the dye se. you can pick them up from amazon for $50
Highly agree with this poster! I picked one up before I went on my first paintball outing when I got back into the sport in 2018 and I still use it once a year! I really enjoyed this entry-level mask for it's quality and it's affordability.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:35 PM #14
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus78 View Post
As someone who's been using profilers for decades, BOTH are available. The coated lens, and a true two pane thermal. I had zero issues using the coated lenses for years (not continuously of course, I swap in fresh lenses every year or so), you just have to be careful to use only clean water to clean them. No weird sprays, and NEVER WINDEX.

Only my most recent one has the dual paned thermal lens, which I've also had zero issues with.

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:41 PM #15
Lazarus78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
As someone who's been using profilers for decades, BOTH are available. The coated lens, and a true two pane thermal. I had zero issues using the coated lenses for years (not continuously of course, I swap in fresh lenses every year or so), you just have to be careful to use only clean water to clean them. No weird sprays, and NEVER WINDEX.

Only my most recent one has the dual paned thermal lens, which I've also had zero issues with.
yes, Fubarius is correct. you can get a real dual paned lens for the grill or profiler, but it makes the mask less of a value buy.
Lazarus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 PM #16
$balla
[b]anned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
If you are going to buy a used Mask make sure you buy a new Lens for it. You never know what the other person did and I wouldn’t want to take any chances with my eyesight!
I'm so glad someone mentioned this. Be sure to get a brand new lens if you go with used goggles. And be sure to replace your lens at least every season, or sooner if you notice any signs of wear!
$balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 AM #17
Ztesch

I just got back into paintballing and bought a JT Proshield mask for $50 + tax. So far, Absolutely zero fogging and this was playing in Chicago summer weather. (Super humid) The fit is nice, has good coverage and is super comfortable. The foam seems to be high quality.
Ztesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:44 AM #18
desertedearth

V Force Grill or Proflex
desertedearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:51 AM #19
redragoon

For $50 or less, the Helix with thermal lens is hard to beat.

For $50-100, look for a Grill/Profiler or Events. Sly profit maybe.
redragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:32 PM #20
Ddavi

Go with the tried and true pro flex. I recently got an i5 and it's a great mask except the breathability could be better. If I had a do over I would probably have gotten another pro flex over the i5
Ddavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:32 PM #21
NWHunter
Push Push Push

my favorite mask is the JT proflex, it's been just about the same since the design came out over 20 years ago. It fits well, it covers what it needs to cover, it breaths well, great vision, tons of options for customization, and the dual pane lenses with anti fog are the best made.