Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-08-2021, 06:02 PM #1
[email protected]

no nothing

literally on a whim I pulled the trigger on an eBay listing for a 98 custom with hopper, tank and facemask for $40. Now he SAID it works but I'm doubtful.

I know less than 0 when it comes to paintball markers bit I bought it as a project (I still don't know why I bought it, impulse I guess)

not sure I can post pictures when it arrives or if this is appropriate but wish me luck 🤞
bubb@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2021, 06:22 PM #2
[email protected]

Here's a thumbnail of what's included (should have taken a picture full size before the auction closed smh)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210108_151538~2_1610148131430.jpg (1.34 MB, 15 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:46 PM #3
badpenny01

badpenny01 is playing at Living Legends III
Those look like old JT Crossfire goggles. That takes me back. I always thought they were cool; they are considered "retro" now. Not sure what the pink/red stuff is on it from your picture though.

I think you got a good deal. I think you should invest in the following:

1. Tippmann 98 Custom O-ring/parts kit
2. Replacement Goggle foam (the inside part that rests on your face). The stuff on there is probably sloughing off if it's been used over time.
3. Replacement Thermal lens. Even if that one looks free of scratches, you don't know how old it it or how it was stored, and you don't want to mess around when it comes to your eyes. There are different lenses for different JT goggles; you will be be looking for the JT Elite lens.
4. Check the google strap and ensure you can get a snug fit when you are running/looking around quickly. If it slips, get a replacement strap.
5. If that CO2 tank is out of date (5 years over the date stamped on the top near the valve) you'll need a new one.

If you replaced all of the above it would run around 80 bucks. If you do nothing else, I recommend at least replacing the lens with a nice fresh one.

I would bet that Tippmann will work just fine, they are built like tanks and any problem can be fixed easily. Even if you opt for all of my suggestions above you still got a good deal price-wise.
badpenny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:25 AM #4
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpenny01 View Post
Those look like old JT Crossfire goggles. That takes me back. I always thought they were cool; they are considered "retro" now. Not sure what the pink/red stuff is on it from your picture though.

I think you got a good deal. I think you should invest in the following:

1. Tippmann 98 Custom O-ring/parts kit
2. Replacement Goggle foam (the inside part that rests on your face). The stuff on there is probably sloughing off if it's been used over time.
3. Replacement Thermal lens. Even if that one looks free of scratches, you don't know how old it it or how it was stored, and you don't want to mess around when it comes to your eyes. There are different lenses for different JT goggles; you will be be looking for the JT Elite lens.
4. Check the google strap and ensure you can get a snug fit when you are running/looking around quickly. If it slips, get a replacement strap.
5. If that CO2 tank is out of date (5 years over the date stamped on the top near the valve) you'll need a new one.

If you replaced all of the above it would run around 80 bucks. If you do nothing else, I recommend at least replacing the lens with a nice fresh one.

I would bet that Tippmann will work just fine, they are built like tanks and any problem can be fixed easily. Even if you opt for all of my suggestions above you still got a good deal price-wise.
Really??!!!!!!
When I read that I fell off the floor! Thank you! Guess I got really lucky. I've read a little on the 98 custom and they seem pretty easy to tinker with so I said what the .

Anyway thanks for uplifting my spirits! When it gets here I'll post better pictures. I did purchase a 12gram co2 adapter to see if will power up
Old 01-09-2021, 08:03 AM #5
StringbeanofOswegoIL

Those tippmanns are built well and if he said it works, it probably does. If you buy an oring kit, make sure you get the correct one. The one with the urethane orings. They last longer. If you need help, youtube is a great resource for how to videos and there is a bunch on tippmann 98 maintenance.

As for the mask, have it valuated here on facebook. You might be surprised at how much people are willing to pay for the old JT masks. $$$$$. https://www.facebook.com/groups/jtpr...als/?ref=share
StringbeanofOswegoIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:37 PM #6
badpenny01

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Really??!!!!!!
When I read that I fell off the floor! Thank you! Guess I got really lucky. I've read a little on the 98 custom and they seem pretty easy to tinker with so I said what the .

Anyway thanks for uplifting my spirits! When it gets here I'll post better pictures. I did purchase a 12gram co2 adapter to see if will power up
Glad to help! Definitely post more pics when it comes in and let us know if it can air up and cycle correctly. Good thinking with that 12 gram adapter for testing purchases too. I was actually half-looking for one of these markers a couple months ago for a COVID-19 build (because there's nothing else to do and why not build a Custom 98 like I thought of when I was younger) and if I saw this package for 40 bucks I would have snapped it up immediately.

And as StringbeanofOswegoIL said, use YouTube as a resource for repair and maintenance, as well as replacing the lens on that mask if you decide to keep it (the older JT models were not known for their simple lens replacement). It's not hard, but can be tedious for a first time user and you don't want to damage any new lens while installing.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:28 AM #7
[email protected]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Really??!!!!!!

Glad to help! Definitely post more pics when it comes in and let us know if it can air up and cycle correctly. Good thinking with that 12 gram adapter for testing purchases too. I was actually half-looking for one of these markers a couple months ago for a COVID-19 build (because there's nothing else to do and why not build a Custom 98 like I thought of when I was younger) and if I saw this package for 40 bucks I would have snapped it up immediately.

And as StringbeanofOswegoIL said, use YouTube as a resource for repair and maintenance, as well as replacing the lens on that mask if you decide to keep it (the older JT models were not known for their simple lens replacement). It's not hard, but can be tedious for a first time user and you don't want to damage any new lens while installing.
Yes, indeed because I don't want to go out and fill the tank, (I've read they have to be pressure tested?) I thought a 12 gm adapter would be best this way I'll know right away if it works or not

Someone mentioned urathane o ring set but finding one specifically made out of that material seemed difficult after a Google search and I've seen ppl comment a stock o-ring kit will suffice

I appreciate all the responses I'm surprised tbh, I'm an old fart just trying to dink around in the back yard till covid is over
Old 01-10-2021, 03:11 PM #8
badpenny01

Yup, stock o-ring and/or parts kit will be fine. Maybe wait until the marker comes in and see if you need any extra parts in addition to just o-rings. And in regards to testing the tank, they are good for 5 years from the date stamped on them, after which they need to be hydrostatically tested. For CO2 tanks, it is almost always more economical to just buy a new one instead of testing them. They cost around 30 bucks for a 20oz tank which is around what it costs for a hydrostatic test. For $20-$30 more you could also consider a 48ci 3000psi air tank, which will give you less shots per tank but provide greater consistency as you won't have to worry about liquid CO2. Really depends on the fills options you have available nearby and what your local field will support (some places don't even fill CO2 anymore).

Did the guy say what that pinkish stuff was on the mask?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:55 PM #9
[email protected]

Quote:
Yup, stock o-ring and/or parts kit will be fine. Maybe wait until the marker comes in and see if you need any extra parts in addition to just o-rings. And in regards to testing the tank, they are good for 5 years from the date stamped on them, after which they need to be hydrostatically tested. For CO2 tanks, it is almost always more economical to just buy a new one instead of testing them. They cost around 30 bucks for a 20oz tank which is around what it costs for a hydrostatic test. For $20-$30 more you could also consider a 48ci 3000psi air tank, which will give you less shots per tank but provide greater consistency as you won't have to worry about liquid CO2. Really depends on the fills options you have available nearby and what your local field will support (some places don't even fill CO2 anymore).

Did the guy say what that pinkish stuff was that
mask?
I agree with waiting on the o ring kit I mean you guys are so confident that it will probably shoot when it gets here I decided to hold off on buying that

What I did purchase today was 12 12 grams cartridges of CO2. I also purchased solid nylon balls because I figured paintballs I would go through too quickly, and I don't want to clean up a mess in my back yard, and the nylon balls are reusable

No I didn't ask him what the pink stuff was but when I went to visit the purchase link the pictures blew up to normal size and it looks like exploded paint ball juice on the mask
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210110_185236_1610333584503.jpg (614.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20210110_185412_1610333684954.jpg (706.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:25 PM #10
badpenny01

Yea looks like old paint. If you will be replacing the foam and lens, I'd say soak it in a water/vinegar solution to soften the old paint and also help get the old foam off. Use a hard bristle brush, it should clean up nicely.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:41 PM #11
[email protected]

Quote:
Yea looks like old paint. If you will be replacing the foam and lens, I'd say soak it in a water/vinegar solution to soften the old paint and also help get the old foam off. Use a hard bristle brush, it should clean up nicely.
Well it's here😅.
It's pretty rough looking, dirty and needs help. The trigger works and engages when the slide is pulled back. Without opening it (yet) the inside looks like it needs a cleaning. Velocity screw is missing🤦‍♂️

The tank had a little bit of air in it so it so I think the gun will function which is good news. The mask his meh, stinks like sweat

The tank is a 20oz tank and I can't for the life of me find the stamped date??? Lots of numbers but I'm not making out s month year? What am I missing????
Old 01-11-2021, 08:51 PM #12
[email protected]

Oh and it says on the pistol grip act
Old 01-13-2021, 07:25 PM #13
[email protected]

Purchases on the way;

40 count 12 gram co2
1 new 20oz co2 bottle
Tippmann 98c platinum hardware kit
Asa on/off
Old 01-14-2021, 08:34 PM #14
[email protected]

Nylon balls .68 came in today���� gun DOES shoot (y'all were right) BUT balls roll out the barrel and youtube tells me it's the ball detent, looks simple enough to replace
Old 01-16-2021, 12:42 AM #15
[email protected]

Ooh I'm awesome look at me lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210115-213929_Gallery_1610775767398.jpg (957.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-16-2021, 04:21 PM #16
martix_agent
Mandated fun

martix_agent is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yes sir, that's the ball detent. Nice work! It could also be that the size of your nylon balls are smaller than a paintball, and the detent may not work great because of that.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM #17
badpenny01

Yup, replacing that will take care of roll outs for regular paint, though like it was previously mentioned those nylon balls may roll out regardless because they are smaller. Funny thing about older Tippmanns; even if they aren't used much, storing them with the bolt uncocked/forward will push down on the detent, leading to it needing to be replaced sooner. Storing them with the bolt cocked/back will put pressure on the spring, which may require that to be replaced. Frankly these are only issues after a long time, so you should be good for a while with that new detent.

Also, the ACT stands for Anti-Chop Technology, which consists of some extra hardware near the top of the bolt that allows the bolt to stop if it encounters resistance, preventing bolt chops. Nice little feature to have, imo.

Replacing the foam on the mask will get rid of that stankiness. I have some tips on that step when you are ready. Do you have access to a chrono by any chance?