Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2021, 02:05 PM #2752
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I miss my droid, actually. That was an incredible gun.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2021, 02:28 PM #2753
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
I miss my droid, actually. That was an incredible gun.
Clone VX is my favorite of the balanced MD spools, but I must say the Droid and 06/07 Cyborg on/off switch locations are the best.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
Don't be a turd.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:18 PM #2754
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I still don't know why they had that goofy screw-on top... it didn't do anything. Yeah, I loved my VXs too. That 3-way system with a slight forward bias (doing what the onslaught and reflex do to the insight engine) was pretty interesting. Not really needed, but cool.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:31 AM #2755
RedJin
between Wasteland and Sky
 
RedJin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: dallas, texas
 has been a member for 10 years
RedJin donated to help Peyton Trent
RedJin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Imp, I was reading your Clone 5 write up (great read btw) and had 2 questions from it.

-What is the difference between cast urethane and regular urethane and where/why would you want one over the other?

-You talk about the evolution of the geo assembly, from stationary to spring biased to breech sensing. You say that the spring biased valves are "laggy, nearly ineffective way to trap residual chamber air". In that case, why did the IV core keep the spring? Added reliability and consistency in cycling?
__________________
My Collection

Old feedback +5/-0
RedJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:38 AM #2756
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJin View Post
Imp, I was reading your Clone 5 write up (great read btw) and had 2 questions from it.

-What is the difference between cast urethane and regular urethane and where/why would you want one over the other?
Cast vs. millable:

I've noticed that cast seals tend to run more consistent (dimensionally) and seem to be on the low end of the tolerance (CS and OD). In places where I've run them, cast is almost always a better fit. Durability is also very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJin View Post
-You talk about the evolution of the geo assembly, from stationary to spring biased to breech sensing. You say that the spring biased valves are "laggy, nearly ineffective way to trap residual chamber air". In that case, why did the IV core keep the spring? Added reliability and consistency in cycling?
The pre-IV JUST used a spring to bias against the shot chamber acting on the rear valve seal. So, the only closing force was provided by the spring.

The IV adds the breech-sensing element to that - so, you now have the spring + air aiding in valve closure. Additionally, the pulse/shot chamber air that would have been fighting valve closure gets repurposed (to the chamber behind the rear valve seal) to do the opposite.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
Don't be a turd.

Last edited by imped4now : 08-24-2021 at 10:41 AM.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:39 AM #2757
Lurker27
Under New Management
 
Lurker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Mega Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Riffing on what Imped said because I'm in a mood

Springs in back have the issue that you're setting an equilibrium valve point on chamber pressure that's working against a dynamic breech pressure on the same stem member.

So if I think of the dynamics, the breech pulse is integrated against the spring, resisting the closing force. Effectively, this means you empirically overtune the spring compared to where it would be, in order to reach improved efficiency.

Because of this, if you tuned too tight for maximum efficiency, you start to get a closing volume tuning envelope - as the valve closes quicker and quicker due to the spring

In practice, you leave the spring looser than you could, so as not to run into fringey issues.

The most elegant implementation, of course, is from Irony. Because the valve stem closure comes from High Pressure, which is co-variant to the velocity adjustment of the gun and therefore the breech pressure, the system is self-compensating, resulting in a wider tuning envelope.

Canceling the pressure as in IV Core similarly widens the tuning envelope, which is why they're able to achieve higher efficiencies. Plus IV core has an actually good-ish flowpath, which helps at the margins.
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM #2758
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Riffing on what Imped said because I'm in a mood

Springs in back have the issue that you're setting an equilibrium valve point on chamber pressure that's working against a dynamic breech pressure on the same stem member.

So if I think of the dynamics, the breech pulse is integrated against the spring, resisting the closing force. Effectively, this means you empirically overtune the spring compared to where it would be, in order to reach improved efficiency.

Because of this, if you tuned too tight for maximum efficiency, you start to get a closing volume tuning envelope - as the valve closes quicker and quicker due to the spring

In practice, you leave the spring looser than you could, so as not to run into fringey issues.

The most elegant implementation, of course, is from Irony. Because the valve stem closure comes from High Pressure, which is co-variant to the velocity adjustment of the gun and therefore the breech pressure, the system is self-compensating, resulting in a wider tuning envelope.

Canceling the pressure as in IV Core similarly widens the tuning envelope, which is why they're able to achieve higher efficiencies. Plus IV core has an actually good-ish flowpath, which helps at the margins.
You're in a mood, and I like it.

*Chef kiss*

I thought about continuing my thoughts to Johns' chamber-sensing solution, but decided to just stick to the question. The FL-21is a beautiful thing and the IV is very pretty.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
Don't be a turd.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:31 PM #2759
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Thanks my doods. On another note, I did the most un-Texan thing ever - I traded my 4x4 ram for a used AWD Honda Ridgeline. I love it so far. Drive to the dealership averaged 16mpg and the way home I was sitting around 28mpg. City driving dropped it a little, but I am a Honda fanboy.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:42 PM #2760
RedJin
between Wasteland and Sky
 
RedJin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: dallas, texas
 has been a member for 10 years
RedJin donated to help Peyton Trent
RedJin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Thank you both for the responses. Also, hi ryan, happy to see you around. I love reading discussion like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
You're in a mood, and I like it.
*Chef kiss*
I thought about continuing my thoughts to Johns' chamber-sensing solution, but decided to just stick to the question. The FL-21is a beautiful thing and the IV is very pretty.
Don't stop yourself from expanding bud, I like reading what you have to say, hence, reading your Clone 5 writeup even though I dont and likely wont ever own one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Thanks my doods. On another note, I did the most un-Texan thing ever - I traded my 4x4 ram for a used AWD Honda Ridgeline. I love it so far. Drive to the dealership averaged 16mpg and the way home I was sitting around 28mpg. City driving dropped it a little, but I am a Honda fanboy.
Just curious, did you have any issues with the ram? I am very happy with my tacoma but one thing I'd wouldnt mind would be better mpg. I get 19-21mpg around town; my wifes highlander hybrid gets 35-37mpg and its satisfying.
__________________
My Collection

Old feedback +5/-0

Last edited by RedJin : 08-27-2021 at 01:44 PM.
RedJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:53 PM #2761
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJin View Post
Just curious, did you have any issues with the ram? I am very happy with my tacoma but one thing I'd wouldnt mind would be better mpg. I get 19-21mpg around town; my wifes highlander hybrid gets 35-37mpg and its satisfying.
Nope, it ran great and was in really good shape. My friend has a 2013 (mine was 2015) and it's starting to show some electrical gremlins. The ZF8 transmission on those rams is really great and, for me, was the highlight of the vehicle.

19-21 is pretty dang good for a tacoma. I actually do buy a fair amount of plywood and dry wall and the ridgeline is the only midsize that allows a 4x8 sheet to lay flat between the wheel wells. Not to mention the trunk and the flat rear cargo area. I am putting some different wheels and AT tires on the ridgeline to make it fit my needs a little better since I do get into some mud from time to time. My wife drives a pilot and gets a little better mpgs than I do, but my mother-in-law drives a hybrid CR-V and crowds 50mpg which is insane to me.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:22 PM #2762
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Interesting change to the Ridgeline, John boy. I don't hate them, though. They make a lot of sense.

My wife swapped her '14 JKU out for a new JLU Rubicon 4xe a few weeks ago. So far, she's averaging about 48mpg (672 miles/13.8 gal, just filled up yesterday) - not bad for a Jeep.

She doesn't need a Rubicon, but I'm looking forward to utilizing the features in the not too distant future, once she's ready.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
Don't be a turd.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:39 AM #2763
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I actually plan to hang onto this until there's a second-year Ridgeline hybrid available (2024ish).

That jeep looks pretty sweet.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:16 PM #2764
Fallinher0
Taking Power Tokens
 
Fallinher0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
Fallinher0 donated to help Peyton Trent
I like how they sharpened up the body on the 2021 ridgeline. Hearing that 28mpg highway makes me want one.
__________________
Old Feedback
My "Curator" Thread
Never forget... Paintball is a LUXURY sport.
MacDev Clone 5s - Bob Long Rage Alias - Planet Eclipse EMEK - Dye "Ultra-light" DM4 - 06 Dynasty Shocker
Fallinher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:13 PM #2765
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I bought a 2018 because I really want what's not out yet. Let me tell you... Drive a Ridgeline and it'll be hard to go to anything else. I loved driving it through the mountain passes this week. Took turns that said 25mph at probably 65mph and didn't ever feel out of control. Love their AWD.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:08 PM #2766
romanlynch
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stuck in Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
Can anyone recommend a bore sight kit for real pewpews? I have a couple different size calibers - 22, 9, 7.63x39 and would like to sight them to 50-100 yards.

I'm just starting to read up on them and see that the red laser is less expensive but doesn't travel as far and is harder to see at longer ranges. The green seems the opposite, little more expensive but travels farther.
romanlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:41 PM #2767
dcbiii
Mega Moderator
 
dcbiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Annual Supporting Member
dcbiii is a Mega Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanlynch View Post
Can anyone recommend a bore sight kit for real pewpews? I have a couple different size calibers - 22, 9, 7.63x39 and would like to sight them to 50-100 yards.

I'm just starting to read up on them and see that the red laser is less expensive but doesn't travel as far and is harder to see at longer ranges. The green seems the opposite, little more expensive but travels farther.
I've owned just about all of them and none of them are great. They will get you on paper, but there's not a lot of difference between the expensive stuff and cheap stuff.

The best balance of performance and price is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Tri...562018&sr=8-53
__________________
Gone, but never forgotten.
dcbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM #2768
Toddles
Stuff
 
Toddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: De Pere,WI
Toddles is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Toddles supports Ninja Paintball
My youtubez feed tells me there's a new DSR. neat.
Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:46 PM #2769
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Yep. I think it's a worthwhile release.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:58 PM #2770
Toddles
Stuff
 
Toddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: De Pere,WI
Toddles is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Toddles supports Ninja Paintball
Looks like it -- some creature comfort updates.
Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM #2771
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox
 
ironyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I really wish we could do an EXALT collab edition. It'd be fun to work with those guys.
__________________
"(...) the only way to speak seriously to the world today is with irony." - Umberto Eco

DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42 AM #2772
Intern1
 
 
Intern1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gallifrey
Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Intern1 is Legendary
Why exalt? And what kind of things would you colab on?
__________________
Sharp as a tack, but in the sense that I'm not smart, just a prick.


Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump