Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2021, 09:52 AM #1
Waffleman
Paintball Relapse

Waffleman is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Angel board and frame swap questions

So I've heard of people doing PM board swaps on older angels.
Im wondering if there's any specific qualifiers for swapping in a board as long as it fits and can fire a solenoid with the proper voltage.

I've got a 05 speed with no frame, Im looking for options, possibly a sft shocker frame as I've got plenty of leftover boards (I don't mind drilling the frame) and they are cheap.

I also have an A1 with a bad lcd screen, wondering if anyone had any cheap led board ideas for that.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2021, 06:46 PM #2
Roger7pball

Most of the Angel solenoids I’ve seen are anywhere from 3 volt to 6 volt. The PM7 virtue board outputs 9 volts I believe (never o-scoped it though). That board will activate any of the SMC solenoids WDP used.

Spec sheets I’ve seen often recommend 90-115% voltage to drive the solenoids however I have never heard of over driving them to 9 volts causing any issues. The stock shoebox shocker boards converted to using a 9v battery over drive their solenoids to 180% and have done so for over 20 years on many shoeboxes including mine.

You can use a Virtue PM7, PPE, Enoch, Morlock, Predator, etc. Lots of options for boards.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:17 PM #3
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

PM and DM frame swaps used to be fairly popular, particularly the Ultralight frame, because the PM and DM boards use the same 2-pin JST connector for the solenoid as the Angel boards, and the mounting holes line up fairly closely, requiring little modification (you can use a round file to expand the rear mounting hole into an oblong shape for proper alignment). From there the only issue you'd need to resolve is the eyes. There are certain people who can provide custom eyes or adapters for that

From what I understand, the DM boards output the full battery voltage to the 'noid. I would imagine the PM board is the same. For an 05 Speed that's overvolting it by a pretty good margin since it uses a 3 volt coil (the LED-IR3 used a 5v or 6v solenoid; the 03 Speed introduced a 3 volt coil shortly after its debut to prevent dropoff with the then-new 4.8v battery, and every model since has used a 3 volt model). Overvolting the solenoid coil will diminish the lifespan by some amount that's going to vary from one to the next. As Roger7pball said, a lot of solenoids are overdriven for many, many years without it significantly harming the lifespan. Most aftermarket Angel boards put out a 5v or 6v pulse to the solenoid for compatibility with multiple models with little or any noticeable impact on overall lifespan.

Probably the best option for the A1 board would be to keep an eye on the used market and try to pick up an old stock board or older aftermarket model like the Virtue. A lot of people sell their stock boards after they've upgraded.

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 09-15-2021 at 01:21 PM.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote