Community Focus

Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM #43
cyberpyr8
Instagram:@evil_paintball

has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
The fact that guns today are good to great out of the box has been a good thing and a bad thing. I think it's great you buy a gun and it works and doesn't need another $200 in upgrades, but there's not the same connection to working on your gun and wanting to go see it perform. Years ago you would buy a gun and upgrade parts and you really wanted to go back out to the field and test it out. You don't get that with modern guns. I buy a LV 1.6 and it works and doesn't need anything. Years ago you bought an Ion and it really could use several upgrades to make it better. There's that connection that is lost today. Maybe that's why we are seeing the resurgence of Mech play. I thing that's why magfed players like the game so much. They customize each piece of the gear. The mental attachment is missing from a lot of the game for casual players.
| CK Platinum Red Pants | Salomon XA Pro 3D Shoes | Exalt Death Grip Gloves
Winter Clothing: CRBN X Push Blood Red Mask | Jerseys Clinic Jersey | Exalt Bounce Cap | CK Platinum Red Pants | Salomon XA Pro 3D Shoes | Exalt Death Grip Gloves
Extra Weight: GoPro Hero 3+ and Case | HK Mask Mount | PE Rolling Bag | Guru Gun Stands | Mad Fuego Barrel Socks
Projects: Evil Pimp
Home Field: Hoppers, GA
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2020, 09:12 PM #44
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
The emek has lots of mods now, and there’s tons of cocker and mag stuff still. BUT people playing with high ends in competitive formats want the most complete factory package that’s 100% factory supported and reliable. So in that realm mods aren’t a thing anymore.

Powered By Powerhouse Regulators, DLX Luxe X, Pro-Shar Paintballs, Prairie Storm Paintball

All my weird random paintball parts for sale on eBay feel free to PM me offers on here.

Paul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:06 AM #45
cyberpyr8
Instagram:@evil_paintball

cyberpyr8 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul77 View Post
BUT people playing with high ends in competitive formats want the most complete factory package thatís 100% factory supported and reliable. So in that realm mods arenít a thing anymore.
Exactly. When you modded your guns you had more of an attachment to them. My early guns were great because I customized it to my taste. I spent hours making them my own.

My youngest son doesn't have any attachment to the newer guns he has because he hasn't done much to them. The EFT Pimp he owns he has taken apart and rebuilt multiple times. He loves that gun. It makes him want to go play and use it. These other guns he doesn't really care about. For the older players, we have a love for the game not only because of the good times we have had, but our emotional attachment to the equipment we have.

I think that's missing for the newer generation. Everyone I know who really loves paintball works on their own guns and can take them apart and put them back together. Or they love their setup and want to show it off (look at magfed players). The causal player doesn't get that feeling. Until you do, it's hard to be addicted to the sport.
| CK Platinum Red Pants | Salomon XA Pro 3D Shoes | Exalt Death Grip Gloves
Winter Clothing: CRBN X Push Blood Red Mask | Jerseys Clinic Jersey | Exalt Bounce Cap | CK Platinum Red Pants | Salomon XA Pro 3D Shoes | Exalt Death Grip Gloves
Extra Weight: GoPro Hero 3+ and Case | HK Mask Mount | PE Rolling Bag | Guru Gun Stands | Mad Fuego Barrel Socks
Projects: Evil Pimp
Home Field: Hoppers, GA
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 PM #46
Ztesch

Hey, so I think the biggest factor in growing this sport is simply getting friends and family to come out. I used to go a few times a year around the early 2000's. I had a Spyder compact back in those days and for the most part had a blast every time I would go out. Fast forward 15 years later and I finally made my way back to the world of paintball. One of my buddies had been trying to get me paintballing with him for a long time and finally I went because it was his birthday. We went to Paintball Explosion, it was the World @ War event and it was 90+ degrees out. I had all rental gear and was severely out of gas almost instantly. Regardless of getting lit the hell up and my rental mask having about 25% visibility I had a really good time. Next thing you know I'm spreading the word with my friends and coworkers and we had a group of 15 guys about a month later. This time I made my first purchase, a Jt Proshield Thermal Mask. Honestly this made all the difference. No fog at all the entire time. The whole group I brought had a great time and now we are planning on going again soon. This time I will be rolling out there with a brand new Emek and most of the gear I need.....for now that is....lol. So just keep spreading the word, the more people we can get into this sport the better it will be for everyone!
Ztesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 PM #47
1floppy

In order for paintball to start getting a larger player base companies need to start getting on social media more. Whether that's advertisement or unironically partnering with "influencers". I'd say even having a camera live streaming a rec speed ball field with a gods eyeish view on twitch or other platforms could even bring in some players.

Just have to remind people that paintball is still a thing and maybe they will try it out for a weekend. If they have a good time most people will stick with it if they can afford it.
1floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:57 AM #48
C0lin

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin plays in the APPA D5 division
C0lin supports Shocker RSX
C0lin supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1floppy View Post
In order for paintball to start getting a larger player base companies need to start getting on social media more. Whether that's advertisement or unironically partnering with "influencers". I'd say even having a camera live streaming a rec speed ball field with a gods eyeish view on twitch or other platforms could even bring in some players.

Just have to remind people that paintball is still a thing and maybe they will try it out for a weekend. If they have a good time most people will stick with it if they can afford it.
Nice idea, most people don't even realize there is professional or competitive paintball.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 AM #49
The 2010 Account

I think pick-up streetball tournaments are a cool idea
The 2010 Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:31 PM #50
chase4556
Please Excuse my spelling

Like others have said, I think COVID is bringing people back to it but is it too little to late?

I have not played in YEARS. back in 2002-2008 I played a lot. When the friend group split for college I got into remote control hobbies. I played once back in 2012. Now here I am. I have a field about 10 minutes from me, and tonight I decided to drag the old DM3 matrix out and start getting her running.

Looking at the three fields in my area I noticed one thing in common with them all. Field paint only and $60 a case for paint. Back in the day most fields allowed you to bring your own paint, and we bought the bottom end stuff(which worked just fine for us) from Academy for about $25 a case. If I go play in the coming weekends, it will cost me 60-120 bucks just in paint! Crazy.

When I was 13, I could mow enough yards after school during the week, or all week long during summer to pay for paint and field fees. Shoot... I don’t think it would have covered it now!

10-2-2006: Live Water Hole in Africa
chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:23 PM #51
Ztesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase4556 View Post
Like others have said, I think COVID is bringing people back to it but is it too little to late?

I have not played in YEARS. back in 2002-2008 I played a lot. When the friend group split for college I got into remote control hobbies. I played once back in 2012. Now here I am. I have a field about 10 minutes from me, and tonight I decided to drag the old DM3 matrix out and start getting her running.

Looking at the three fields in my area I noticed one thing in common with them all. Field paint only and $60 a case for paint. Back in the day most fields allowed you to bring your own paint, and we bought the bottom end stuff(which worked just fine for us) from Academy for about $25 a case. If I go play in the coming weekends, it will cost me 60-120 bucks just in paint! Crazy.

When I was 13, I could mow enough yards after school during the week, or all week long during summer to pay for paint and field fees. Shoot... I don’t think it would have covered it now!
Man $60 for paint, I just paid $93 🤣. Definitely doesn't help grow the sport with the exorbitant costs.
Ztesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 PM #52
chase4556
Please Excuse my spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztesch View Post
Man $60 for paint, I just paid $93 🤣. Definitely doesn't help grow the sport with the exorbitant costs.
Went tonight and picked up a case from academy for $40. Will use it to make sure the marker is up to snuff before heading to the field. If it can eat through that without issues, I trust it to get me through a day.

The fact that Walmart no longer carries paintball equipment is another sign of the times.

Academy had a tiny end cap with a couple marker kits, some face masks and three different types of paint to choose from. I remember them selling 10 different markers, having multiple masks and other gear, co2 tanks(and filling them!) and multiple paint options. Not the case. I know Richard Sporting goods used to carry stuff as well. I feel paintball will go the way of the Dodo in the next 5-10 years.

10-2-2006: Live Water Hole in Africa
chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:41 PM #53
junkyguns12

A mix of pump and mech events moving back towards hyperball fields.

I've kinda lost interest in watching speedball where guys sit in one spot and lane.
junkyguns12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:02 PM #54
tannaj2

Like many have said walk on,s have to be nice to and help them. i was in a game teching my markers. my son who plays they put him with walk ons and the other team had speedballers they got tore up. i wont go back there. let new players try out your markers. i think the more you inter act with new players the more likely they will want to play more.
tannaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:34 PM #55
NJballer16

Well there is a lot of answers to this question but from my point of view I don't personally think there is too much that will help "grow the sport". I've spent so much money on this stupid friggin game for no reason other then I got an adrenaline rush and had way too much fun playing. That being said, I absolutely love this sport.

One way to fix things is maybe lowering the costs at local fields. Entry is one thing that is solely on the field, but paint prices? Ridiculous. While we aren't spending over $100 on just the field grade paint like back in the day, paying $40-60+ on paint starts to become unjustifiable especially in todays economy. Unfortunately, paint manufactures also also treat East and West Coast United States differently. Paintball is more affordable out west then here in the east but that's a discussion for another day.

Lack of places to play: Today due to property taxes, insurance and all that jazz, owning a local field just isn't worth the cost of operation. I started playing in some local woods where I grew up. Kids can't do that now because some Karen or Man Karen is gonna call the police because kids are out enjoying themselves and as soon as they see a "gun" they're scared for their lives and ****. The few local fields are pretty good to their rental/rec ball base tho, the rentals are never forced to play with the more experienced people on the air ball fields and usually play against the other rentals and rec ball groups. You'd scare the **** out of a bunch of 10-12 year olds if they were forced to play against the "pros". Just be good towards these groups. They are what keeps paintball alive. Not us greedy, kinda dickish airball/tournament guys. (said with love and respect)

Opinions from the outside: I tried watching a recap from NXL World Cup on my new TV with a buddy of mine. He's never played a day in his life, After like the first few seconds he immediately lost interest. I can see why, almost impossible to tell whos who, impossible to see where the paintballs are going or coming from, trying to figure out what all the lingo means, that sort of thing. I can't blame him. I lost interest in it too from being slow and less brutal as it used to be for us experienced guys in the speedball scene.

Outside investors: Because this sport is impossible to follow, Outside investors like lets say Nike, don't want to take the risk and put money towards something that's probably going to be dead within the next 10-15 years. The flip side to that is everyone already knows who Nike is so why would they waste time sponsoring and promoting a sport with their products that most people are going to buy anyway with or without their involvement in paintball?

These are just some of my personal views and there is a lot that needs to happen if we want paintball to survive another 20+ years. I love this stupid hobby/sport with everything I have. It was the first real, somewhat organized sport I got seriously involved in and want nothing more then its survival. The paintball industry is nothing without us, the players and we are nothing without them. Hopefully in the near future, Paintball will start listening to the new players and weekend warriors and not so much the "professionals" and start making major changes across the board that benefits the survival of the game.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:59 AM #56
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJballer16 View Post
You'd scare the **** out of a bunch of 10-12 year olds if they were forced to play against the "pros". Just be good towards these groups. They are what keeps paintball alive. Not us greedy, kinda dickish airball/tournament guys. (said with love and respect)
Yea I think this is a lot of it. More experienced players tend to be really nice to rentals and new players, not all, but most of the guys I've seen are really nice and show these kids the ropes. The ones to watch out for are the rental last week, speedballer this week kids. The kid that thinks because he now has a gun that can shoot 30 bps he is now top dog on the field and he doesn't give a **** if he bunkers a first time player at full ramp.

It's one of the main reasons I decided to try pump, not the main reason I stuck with playing pump exclusively. But pumps do make new players feel more comfortable, especially when I tell them their rental gun will out shoot my pump.

But I try and do my part to help new players. Let them take shots at people that I would easily get out. Share paint, help with gun issues, ect Brings me a lot of joy to see new players really loving the sport.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM #57
Dead Viking

Cost isn't really an issue. My winter hobby is snowmobiling, and the costs aren't even in the same stratosphere. I realize everybody is in different financial situations, but in my teens almost all of my money went towards playing because it's what I wanted to do more than anything. I suppose if you could play for $5 a day you might get a bit more interest, but people are attracted to the game, not the cost.

I think airsoft takes a lot of the market away. In my experience, there are a lot of people more attracted to the war simulation/dressup aspect of the sport. Paintball has made some progress on that with magfed, but it will never compare with airsoft in the ability to actually replicate firearms. Airsoft also doesn't tend to rely on oring seals that dry out and fail after sitting for a year or two, which is good for the occasional player.Add to that the somewhat cheaper cost, less mess, and the ability to charge a battery, grab some bbs and go play in the bush behind the house. I'm not sure about other areas, but locally you can no longer get air/co2 fills and we've no resorted to buying bulk n2 bottles to fill from. This isn't something your average person will do.

As others have said, paintball is always going to be a niche. The people that are attracted to what it offers can usually find it, it's a matter of retaining those people. The players and field staff need to do what we can to make sure everybody enjoys themselves and comes back. A bad first experience is usually enough to keep people away for life. This means helping people with their gear and game, and just generally being friendly with them. This might mean you playing differently than you want to (going to different spots on the field, shooting less, allowing somebody else to get eliminations etc.), but that's how you maintain interest. Showing up to mow down renters pretty much guarantees the player pool is always going to be small.
Dead Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 PM #58
thebirddog

As before mentioned, I think being cool to rental players/helping them out is critical. Playing pump with walk ons is nice and always a fun conversation for new players.

Also becoming tight with your local field owner/creating events etc. helps them and helps you curate the environment you want to be playing in.
thebirddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:22 PM #59
Zumina
Rub some funk on it!

A return to sane ROF and mech play is what will save it. Ramping killed what little enthusiasm was left on the rec side.