Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2020, 11:31 PM #1
Ghost613

PoC: Live Streams with GoPro

I've been experimenting with my GoPro by streaming live footage while I'm on the field and wondering if others are doing the same.

I am working on a Proof of Concept (PoC) that would allow my Field Commander to have a direct video feed to all of his operators.

Like most of you, we've been using radio comms to exchange field intel with our HQ but if they see what we are seeing, it drastically improves our communications and gives our team the upper hand (+ postgame review where you go over the recorded footage).

If this is something you are interested in, keep reading as the rest will become technical jargon.

-------------
The intent is for my field commander to use his tablet/laptop and have live video feeds of his operators.

How am I able to achieve this?

Here is what I've done so far:

- Using my GoPro Hero 8 Black, which has a streaming module built-in, it uses my smartphone to either broadcast my stream via Wifi (hotspot) or cellular data.

- I use Twitch as my RMPT source, which easily allows my field commander to see my stream via a web browser (no special player required).
>>>What I see, you see.

- Not everyone has unlimited data with their cellular providers, so I've assembled mobile wifi repeater. Essentially, the repeater connects to the field's existing wifi network and expands the wifi signal over to the field. The repeater is powered by a mobile power pack that I would bring onto the field.

- Twitch used to offer the option of doing "Squad Stream", which allows up to 4 GoPro streams displayed in a single view (ie: you get to see all 4 live streams in a single window!). However, Twitch has recently limited this feature to "Partner" status and it is near impossible for me to attain unless I become a streaming celebrity with a lot of existing followers which isn't my thing.

HOWEVER, it is very simple to get the individual player's gopro streams (via an URL) and have it broadcasted to a centralized site, allowing the field commander to have a live view of their operators.

I've been testing this Proof of Concept and IT WORKS! I'd like to take it a step further by adding additional streams and GPS functionalities (piggy backing off of "Life360"). The intent is to give as much intel to HQ/field commander to make strategic decisions in real-time.

What I need:
- GoPro Hero 8 owners
- Web Programmers
- Streamers, preferably that knows OBS Studio and Twitch
- people who are as passionate as I am to make this work.
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2020, 10:37 PM #2
Ghost613

I've been doing some tests with the mobile repeater and have an average range of 125m (with line of sight).

Will be doing live testing on the field this Sunday.
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote