Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 PM #1
Ddogg777

.50 caliber is my go to now

I have three Bob Long guns (Vtek, G6R, GI Victus) and an old Ego7 converted to .50). The Bobs shoot great but I find myself loving the .50 cal with Nelson paint... We all know that .68 has more inertia and hurts a bit more, but what the .50 cal has over the .68 is worth it. I play woodsball, rec ball, and rare speedball and it has its place in all three. With the ability to hold so many more balls in the hopper it has bailed me out of a lot of situations where I can just pin someone down without reloading. It is great for anything other than corner to corner shooting in speedball, in the woods it is amazing as it finds its way through brush easier than the .68. The Nelson paint breaks easy and have never had a problem with getting someone out.
We got back from paintball today and the refs saw my bright red .50s and wanted to try it out, they were amazed at my 600+ hopper capacity and how straight they shot.

Last edited by Ddogg777 : 06-04-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Ddogg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2020, 02:59 AM #2
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Are you shooting 50 against 68?

50 doesn’t travel nearly as far as 68.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:34 AM #3
GatSplat

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Are you shooting 50 against 68?

50 doesn’t travel nearly as far as 68.
That is entirely not true.. It travels the exact same distance if shot at the same speed. Basic physics.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 AM #4
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

You should brush up on your Physics then...

The 50 Cal Paintballs weigh a lot less than 68. If you Chronograph both to the same Velocity the 68 will definitely shoot further than the 50.

The testing has already been done and proven.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 AM #5
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
You should brush up on your Physics then...

The 50 Cal Paintballs weigh a lot less than 68. If you Chronograph both to the same Velocity the 68 will definitely shoot further than the 50.

The testing has already been done and proven.
Well, you are 100% wrong. I even made a video on it a long time ago.... Shot both side by side at the exact angle same chrono - same distance.

An object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by some other force. We only have 2 forces here... Gravity and wind resistance. This guy named Galileo figured this out a long time ago...

Doesn't matter that one is heavier.. hit at the same time, and the wind resistance between the two objects - if anything you could argue the 50 cal has less surface to interact, but since the densities of the two objects are the same - same fill - it would be insignificant.

Our test before our field switched to 50 cal, was take 3 of each gun, set the angle dead flat with a level on the barrel, then chrono each to 260 fps. From the height we were shooting from, they would travel approx 110 feet before hitting the ground. Of course, angle up, it would be more, but in a dead flat shot with the guns fastened to a frame that's what we got. We then shot 10 shots on each gun marking exactly where they hit. Now no gun regs are perfect, and we chronoed each shot to see that we were getting fluctuations of 260, 253, 265 etc, and that would make a minor difference in the distance by 2 - 5 feet, but there was no significant difference between a 68 and a 50. We averaged the 10 shots per gun, and actually the 50 ended up being about a foot and a half farther after 30 shots of each caliber, but again, probably variations in reg outputs. Instead of saying "it's been done" you should go do it and share your results.

I studied physics at the university of Wisconsin... you're degree is from where??

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-18-2020 at 04:22 PM.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:12 PM #6
Grazfather
AKA Owner

The 50 caliber has less momentum so its speed would drop off more quickly.
The 68 would be less aerodynamic and its speed could drop off more quickly.

If you shot both in a frictionless vacuum, as the same height, velocity, and angle, you're right they would go the same distance.

You'd have to test how it behaves in the real world.
Grazfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:46 AM #7
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazfather View Post
The 50 caliber has less momentum so its speed would drop off more quickly.
The 68 would be less aerodynamic and its speed could drop off more quickly.

If you shot both in a frictionless vacuum, as the same height, velocity, and angle, you're right they would go the same distance.

You'd have to test how it behaves in the real world.
I have, they are identical. Galileo did it hundreds of years ago.. the people then all thought the heavier one would hit first.. it doesn't. Heavier does not means it goes farther or faster. The only difference is he used gravity to move the two objects - still had wind resistance - still hit at the same time. You are going to use air but the end result is the same. This theory was written about and proven in books from 1586, how can people in 2020 be so clueless as to the basics of physics, and assume if it's heavier it travels faster. What happened to our educational system?!

You say "The 50 caliber has less momentum so its speed would drop off more quickly." Why?? Where did you get that theory? An object in motion stays in motion until acted upon by another force. The laws of physics do not say, An object in motion stays in motion unless it's a friggin' paintball.

What force is slowing it down?? Gravity is pulling it toward the earth.. so you admit that in a vacuum they would go forever, except for the fact the earth would pull them both toward it at the same speed, and they would hit at the same time. So the only other force is wind resistance. Since the densities are the same, that is really not any different for the different sizes. Sure if you shoot a lead ball and a Styrofoam ball, there will be a difference, but a 50 vs 68 caliber, are the same density, have the same shape, and the wind resistance difference between the two objects is insignificant in this case.

Don't be amazed when Galileo's two balls hit at the same time.. it's not 1600... the science has been there for 400 years.. and yes the earth is not flat either.

Try it yourself like the experiment I outlined above and post your results. Shot at the same speed, they will be virtually identical - within the variations of the regulators on the guns.

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-26-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:38 AM #8
Grazfather
AKA Owner

We're not talking about gravity, we're talking about momentum and wind resistance.

density and size (with shape constant) do not necessarily equate to the same wind resistance due to how turbulence forms.

A .50" sphere has a cross section of PI*(0.25")^2 which is 0.1963" square
A .68" sphere has a cross section of 0.3632" square

Now let's assume that the density is the same, and we'll say it's density 1.
A 0.50" sphere has volume 0.06545 in^3 (cubic inches)
A 0.68" sphere has volume 0.1646 in^3 (cubic inches)
(We can compare volumes as mass if we assume a simple density of 1oz per cubic inch, you'll see the mass doesn't matter (nor its unit)

Now the ratio of mass to cross section :
0.50" = 0.06545 / 0.1963 = 0.33
0.68" = 0.1646 / 0.3632 = 0.45

Now if we (fairly) consider wind resistance as a function of its cross section, we can see that the 0.68" paintball has more mass per unit area.

And that's why I would bet that the 0.68" would go farther.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:51 AM #9
GatSplat

Quote:
We're not talking about gravity, we're talking about momentum and wind resistance.

density and size (with shape constant) do not necessarily equate to the same wind resistance due to how turbulence forms.

A .50" sphere has a cross section of PI*(0.25")^2 which is 0.1963" square
A .68" sphere has a cross section of 0.3632" square

Now let's assume that the density is the same, and we'll say it's density 1.
A 0.50" sphere has volume 0.06545 in^3 (cubic inches)
A 0.68" sphere has volume 0.1646 in^3 (cubic inches)
(We can compare volumes as mass if we assume a simple density of 1oz per cubic inch, you'll see the mass doesn't matter (nor its unit)

Now the ratio of mass to cross section :
0.50" = 0.06545 / 0.1963 = 0.33
0.68" = 0.1646 / 0.3632 = 0.45

Now if we (fairly) consider wind resistance as a function of its cross section, we can see that the 0.68" paintball has more mass per unit area.

And that's why I would bet that the 0.68" would go farther.
The difference is so insignificant in the calculations, you will see that the tolerances of the reg are a bigger difference. People love saying the 68 will go 3 times farther as it weighs 3 times more... Go check some ballistic reports on different weight bullets.

If the wind resistance of the different diameters was such a concern, why wouldn't one of the lead balls that Galileo dropped hit first? They did not create a vacuum in Italy when he did that experiment.

The difference in actual testing I've done is less than a foot or two... Instead of copy and pasting stuff, or using a calculator go try it. Prove it for yourself... feel free to share the results here... I have.

I will put 10K on the line.. come to my facility we will take a 68 and 50, chrono'd the same, do the same experiment. You are saying the ratio will be 33 to 45... so if the 68 goes 90 feet you are saying the 50 will go 66?? I'll put my 10K on the over for your math there.

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-26-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:09 PM #10
Grazfather
AKA Owner

I was contesting this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
That is entirely not true.. It travels the exact same distance if shot at the same speed. Basic physics.
Since that is wrong.

We aren't talking about gravity here, again, I don't know why you keep bringing that up.

The wind resistance would be counteracting zero acceleration, since the ball obviously isn't being pushed once it leaves the barrel.

Wind resistance while falling matters less because it's counteracting the constant acceleration due to gravity, and it's negligible in that case.

The 68 cal still has > 35% better mass per unit area (xsection), so I would still guess it does better, but I also said that it would have to be tested.

I've never even shot a .50 cal marker.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 PM #11
GatSplat

Quote:
I was contesting this:

Since that is wrong.

We aren't talking about gravity here, again, I don't know why you keep bringing that up.

The wind resistance would be counteracting zero acceleration, since the ball obviously isn't being pushed once it leaves the barrel.

Wind resistance while falling matters less because it's counteracting the constant acceleration due to gravity, and it's negligible in that case.

The 68 cal still has > 35% better mass per unit area (xsection), so I would still guess it does better, but I also said that it would have to be tested.

I've never even shot a .50 cal marker.
Hahahahaha... So you are are "guessing" and you have never shot one...

I believe that gives us a feel for your expertise in this matter.

And gravity because when you shoot a paintball... it falls. If you shoot one out of a gun, and drop a paintball at the exact same time from the barrel height, both will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity is pulling the objects down. This is not Willey coyote in road runner where the paintballs slow down and stop in mid air... they get pulled down at a speed of 32 feet per second per second. And there is the same downward pull on a 68 as there is a 50, and gravity is going to do it's thing and bring them both to the ground before the subtle difference in air resistance which is negligible in determining the outcome of how far they will go.

Perhaps don't chime in on a conversation of how far a 50 caliber paintball will fly why you have never even shot one. I own 700 50 caliber paintball guns, and tested this long before we converted our fields to all 50 cal from 68 - and yes.. .they travel the same distance.

If you don't want to believe physics, if you don't want to believe someone who has done it.. then do it yourself.

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-26-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:10 AM #12
cut54

Sooooooo, .50 is fun to shoot?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:49 AM #13
Grazfather
AKA Owner

Quote:
Hahahahaha... So you are are "guessing" and you have never shot one...

I believe that gives us a feel for your expertise in this matter.

And gravity because when you shoot a paintball... it falls. If you shoot one out of a gun, and drop a paintball at the exact same time from the barrel height, both will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity is pulling the objects down. This is not Willey coyote in road runner where the paintballs slow down and stop in mid air... they get pulled down at a speed of 32 feet per second per second. And there is the same downward pull on a 68 as there is a 50, and gravity is going to do it's thing and bring them both to the ground before the subtle difference in air resistance which is negligible in determining the outcome of how far they will go.

Perhaps don't chime in on a conversation of how far a 50 caliber paintball will fly why you have never even shot one. I own 700 50 caliber paintball guns, and tested this long before we converted our fields to all 50 cal from 68 - and yes.. .they travel the same distance.

If you don't want to believe physics, if you don't want to believe someone who has done it.. then do it yourself.
I honestly don't believe you went to college. You're parroting some talking points from high school and showing a tenuous grasp of that.

You're sidestepping my argument on the science and circling back to gravity and how I haven't shot a .50 cal marker, while I keep saying that testing would need to be done, and that the gravity part of the equation doesn't matter here.

I've explained again and again how wind resistance, in its (note that it's 'its' not 'it's' to show possessive ) ability to slow the horizontal speed is what I care about.

I've explained how the cross section to mass ratio is probably a good proxy to estimate relative wind resistance.

Wind resistance is also a function of speed: Vertical speed starts at 0, and wind resistance technically increases to slow gravity as gravity speeds up the ball (which is why there is a terminal falling velocity). I don't care about wind resistance vertically.

Wind resistance horizontally matters more, since the ball starts in the hundreds of feet per second, the wind resistance will quickly slow the ball down. This is where momentum vs. aerodynamics come into play.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 PM #14
GatSplat

Quote:
I honestly don't believe you went to college. You're parroting some talking points from high school and showing a tenuous grasp of that.

You're sidestepping my argument on the science and circling back to gravity and how I haven't shot a .50 cal marker, while I keep saying that testing would need to be done, and that the gravity part of the equation doesn't matter here.

I've explained again and again how wind resistance, in its (note that it's 'its' not 'it's' to show possessive ) ability to slow the horizontal speed is what I care about.

I've explained how the cross section to mass ratio is probably a good proxy to estimate relative wind resistance.

Wind resistance is also a function of speed: Vertical speed starts at 0, and wind resistance technically increases to slow gravity as gravity speeds up the ball (which is why there is a terminal falling velocity). I don't care about wind resistance vertically.

Wind resistance horizontally matters more, since the ball starts in the hundreds of feet per second, the wind resistance will quickly slow the ball down. This is where momentum vs. aerodynamics come into play.
Friggin awesome you did all that... I've done the test.. Based on your logic, how much less distance will a 50 cal go vs a 68 if shot at 260fps dead level at 5' above ground level. Please give us that number. Your calculations had a 35% number some how.. so you are saying a 50 will go 35% less distance than a 68 is shot at the same speed, horizontally from a height of 5'?

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-27-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:23 PM #15
sokopath
Kitty Amazing

is playing at Living Legends XI
sokopath is Legendary
sokopath is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cut54 View Post
Sooooooo, .50 is fun to shoot?
that's what i've gathed too
Old 06-27-2020, 11:54 PM #16
Grazfather
AKA Owner

Quote:
Friggin awesome you did all that... I've done the test.. Based on your logic, how much less distance will a 50 cal go vs a 68 if shot at 260fps dead level at 5' above ground level. Please give us that number. Your calculations had a 35% number some how.. so you are saying a 50 will go 35% less distance than a 68 is shot at the same speed, horizontally from a height of 5'?
Cool thank you
Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 AM #17
GatSplat

Quote:
Cool thank you
Cool thank you what?? I'm asking you - in your opinion, how much less far will a 50 cal go if shot at the same speed, 260 horizontally from 5' above the ground... what is your number? How much less?

Ok... I guess this discussion, thankfully, finally has come to an end. So for anyone who does want to know the actual results... we have done the tests, and if you shoot 68 and 50 level from 5' above ground level at the same fps, they travel and hit the ground at the same basic distance. Less than a few feet apart tested with multiple guns, locked into racks, leveled and fired across chronos. If anyone tells you a 50 does not go as far... don't believe them. The popularity of 50 cal for fields has grown tremendously for rentals as a way to bring in younger kids. The guns are fun to shoot, can carry a bunch of ammo, take less air so your compressors does not have to work as hard, or tanks last longer, and the people playing with them have a bunch of fun. The only difference is they hurt less when you get hit.

We have been doing exclusively 50 cal at my 3 fields for the last 6 years, and see in excess of 40,000 players a year shooting 50 cal. If you haven't tried it.. you should. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Last edited by GatSplat : 06-30-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM #18
Rdav

You know this one is interesting,
And I know this is a discussion thats been debated to death in the past, and apologise for bringing it up again,
but this was a misconception that I myself fell for, as in my head 50cal was pretty definitively 'shorter range' as far as trajectory is concerned.

So, being an engineer and therefore by extension a lover of a good argument when someone is wrong, I decided to go out of my own way to run some numbers in some ballistic calculators I frequently use, and do some research to see myself, and as far as paintball trajectories are speaking you are absolutely right!
The absolute 'maximum' range of the paintball is plus minus about 10-15 feet, at zero elevation, that difference is reduced to less than 5 feet, 50 cal is shorter range than 68cal, but not by any degree of magnitude that I thought it was prior, comparatively its appr 10% difference at 290Fps.

Exactly why is also interesting, technically speaking Grazfather is right with his calculation, drag is a relationship with velocity cubed, therefore technically speaking a larger but heavier blunt body projectile will obtain a larger range, However, in this 'minimal elevation' scenario the difference ultimately makes almost a negligible difference, due to the relatively low time of flight, low elevation, and low velocities and sizes involved.

(some comparisons from my back-of=the-handkerchief ballistics calculations)

After testing it for myself, I decided to google it too see a lot of other folks results and there does seem to be a lot of information and people claiming testing with the same results supporting this as far as trajectory is concerned too!

I feel the misconception here comes from the fact that *effective range* i.e. how far paint will break from 50 cal paint is somewhat shorter, not anywhere near enough to be massively significant, and I think grossly exaggerated in some cases, but this one has been proven both by myself and others in the past, and has been done to death (don't feel I need to extend past that).

But I think this one is where the myth stems from, as this can easily be extended to "range is shorter" and with basic equations supporting that theory (to a degree) I can see how that's become a common misconception, along with considering that at 'max ranges' (ie 30/45 degrees) there is a noticeable difference (or should be at least).

But yeah, Interesting one there, kind of glad I bothered to spend some time looking it up too as its always something I imagined to be true, I'm not above holding my hands up and saying I'm wrong here!

As far as getting back on topic to OP:
I have loved 50cal recently too, I play a lot in condensed-CQB fields near me and the higher capacity has made a nice difference, and a nice mark in my wallet what with the prices of 50cal being marginally cheaper (it does add up with time) although I mostly play magfed so the options are somewhat...limited at the moment

Last edited by Rdav : Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
Rdav is offline   Reply With Quote