PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2022, 06:21 PM #5818
Mr. Charlie

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
I agree with Imped, I like the Eye Pipe and haven’t had any issues with it besides that one time that I too shot it out lol. The new ones (Gen. 4 with Blue two piece Detents) are a lot better than the older versions.
Lava DSR+ and M3+, Dynasty Scales CS1, Carbon Fiber PAL EMEK, and Black-Lime Splash M2 all with Ninja SL2 77/4500 tanks with PowerHouse Haymaker Gen. III tank Regulators! Spyder Sonix with Empire Pure Energy 48/3000.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2022, 07:28 PM #5819
BELOWZERO
2JZGTE POWERED

BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends V
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends VI
BELOWZERO owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
BELOWZERO supports Team VICIOUS
BELOWZERO is Legendary
BELOWZERO is Boss
BELOWZERO supports DLX Technology
Love the eye pipe no issues

Indy Battleground Paintball
Freelancers
RIP Dan Voils
900-999-999
BELOWZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:48 PM #5820
Bstealth

Irony,
How far along are you with your Covid recovery? I got it 2 weeks ago today & the fever part only lasted a day & a half. Now I’ve had this really annoying cough for the past 4 or 5 days. I suppose the cold weather & salted roads here aren’t helping either. Hope you have a speedy recovery as well as anyone catching this thing.

As far as the eye pipe goes, I always thought it was a great idea to have cheap plastic piece there. No more breach wear, if you need a new 1, you’re not spending $50 for a new part. Take it out, rinse it off. Easy to change the detents.
Would be nice to not have to worry about cracking it when tightening your barrel or shooting it out though. I always forget to put the barrel on before I dry fire it after my cleaning on days I use it. Haven’t shot it out yet though but 1 of these days I will…
Charlie,
So where have you settled on having your SFR adjusted to on your DSR+? I have tried full - & full + & now I was thinking to just set it to the middle & forget it.
Imped,
So you were into the rock crawling part of off roading?
Bstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:20 PM #5821
ironyusa

ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
I am pretty much over it, minus a bit of a cough and reduced smell/taste. It started with a pounding headache, then seemed like a common cold. I never really ran much fever, but the headache made my eyes feel like they were in a pair of vices.

One (maybe both) of my kids had COVID around the delta variant prominence and I took care of them with no issue contracting it. This time, our best friend got a rapid and the full COVID test - rapid didn't detect it so she went back to work and we hung out thinking she had a sinus infection, then her full test results came back a few days later and she was positive. I wasn't even upset... these things happen.

All told, I feel like it's been similar to a minor cold. Everyone handles this thing differently, but I feel pretty fortunate.

The DSR mech stuff is in really good shape. I believe Billy showed on facebook that we were able to do the electronic single trigger as well. Thanks to Imped (and Noa) for the suggestion. I try to fit as much cool stuff into my designs as possible and think the next few major releases will come as pleasant surprises to you all.

John: Designer @ DYE
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:54 PM #5822
OA paintball
ROOD BOIZ D3X

has been a member for 10 years
Really cant wait for the dsr+ single trigger frame.

Some of my teammates hit me with the eye pipe rebuttal about the gun but I didnt play or shoot dye guns from 2009-2017 so i think i skipped most of its development or user error period. Personally when i look at my DSR+ and think about why its such a nice looking marker it hits me that 1- no eye covers and 2- looks like a Dark Shocker SFT 3- my gloss blue DM4 back in the day was annoed soooo well and you dont see gloss anodizing much these days, it really reminds me of when i first started playing competitive.

I love my dsr+ and think its one of the more innovative guns since the original gamma core but i sort of brought it up before, eye pipe wear. Has there been an occasion where the eye pipe was so worn out that the eyes couldnt read through it?

Also hope dyelabs or SuperStanchyCustoms are going to make alternative triggers for the marker. i think im the only one who didnt like the stock trigger. i have a JC scythe on mine and loooove it i think it makes the hourglass frame feel perfect but i options are nice!
Wherever you're going,
that's where you'll be
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:10 AM #5823
Mr. Charlie

^I believe that Dye Labs has some Triggers available now. It would be nice to see some other options from other comps though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstealth View Post
Irony,
How far along are you with your Covid recovery? I got it 2 weeks ago today & the fever part only lasted a day & a half. Now I’ve had this really annoying cough for the past 4 or 5 days. I suppose the cold weather & salted roads here aren’t helping either. Hope you have a speedy recovery as well as anyone catching this thing.

As far as the eye pipe goes, I always thought it was a great idea to have cheap plastic piece there. No more breach wear, if you need a new 1, you’re not spending $50 for a new part. Take it out, rinse it off. Easy to change the detents.
Would be nice to not have to worry about cracking it when tightening your barrel or shooting it out though. I always forget to put the barrel on before I dry fire it after my cleaning on days I use it. Haven’t shot it out yet though but 1 of these days I will…
Charlie,
So where have you settled on having your SFR adjusted to on your DSR+? I have tried full - & full + & now I was thinking to just set it to the middle & forget it.
Imped,
I like the DSR+ SFR set to the most restrictive “-“ setting. It’s the smoothest shooting and I don’t notice any slowed shot or anything like that. However, with the CS1 SFR I have it set not quite at full restriction because I feel like the shot quality is too slow at full restriction it feels like the shot is delayed or something to me.

I’m guessing Dye will release Mechanical DSR+s too and not just the Single/Mechanical Frame? I’ll probably just buy one of those since I already have an Electronic one. I’d rather just have two different Markers ready to go then have to switch out the Frame and Solenoid, Etc. every time I want to use the Mechanical Frame…

On the Covid note: I felt like I may have had it when it first came out I felt really bad for about a month but I’m not sure because I was never tested - this was before it was really something everyone was worried about in like January or February 2020. When the Vaccine came out I got it because I didn’t want to feel like that again. I’ve been Vaccinated with the Moderna version for a few months now, only the second one hurt my arm and made it sore for about a day. So I have all three shots now and it seems like they may recommend a forth shot for Covid-19? I don’t have any issues getting vaccinated - I guess a lot of people forget that they had vaccines when they were kids?
Lava DSR+ and M3+, Dynasty Scales CS1, Carbon Fiber PAL EMEK, and Black-Lime Splash M2 all with Ninja SL2 77/4500 tanks with PowerHouse Haymaker Gen. III tank Regulators! Spyder Sonix with Empire Pure Energy 48/3000.

Last edited by Mr. Charlie : 01-14-2022 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:44 AM #5824
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Eh, random mind wandering...

-Not sure if I mentioned it. My friend got his like new TM40 ( this was in November I think ) and he played all day with it. Then I let him shoot my DSR+. Well, he just got his DSR+ a couple weeks ago, a gloss red with gloss gold accents. And now, he’s selling his TM40 with the mech frame.

-The three big obvious reasons why the DSR sells itself ( in person ).
1) It really does shoot creamy buttery goodness. Read about it, then experience it.
2) It is actually pretty quiet.
3) It is generally found by most to be comfortable in the hands.

-If Jack didn’t share his thoughts on the DSR+ already, man I want to read those thoughts soon!

-We’ve got more then enough snappy shooting markers out now. I want to see at least one more NEW marker made, one with a really soft shot ( and emphasizes paint handling and reliability ). A Geo 5 maybe, or Force 2.

-I want a Dye fan and Dye visor for my Dye i5’s.
-Operation Paintball Paintball Park [ woodsball and speedball ]
-DBS Pro Shop and Paintball Park [ host of Ninjaball tournament series ]
-Inception Designs/Simon Stevens Mechanical Markers
-Dye Precision
-Shocker Paintball and DLX Technologies
-Virtue Paintball- Built To Win
https://virtuepb.com/?sca_ref=667267.6PUbRPX1na ( click the link to shop )
-Powerhouse Competition Regulators

Current Favorite Markers
-FLE Emek
-CS2 Pro w/mech frame
-Shocker AMP CC

Team
Geo’s Phantoms
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:12 AM #5825
Intern1

Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Intern1 is Legendary
I've never had an issue with the eye pipe. That being said my first dye gun was the original DSR, so most of the issues were probably worked out by then.

Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:04 AM #5826
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
I think the people in this thread are some of the few who appreciate and understand why the eye pipe is used. BUT we all know a lot of paintball players who don't care to understand it, see it as a nuisance, and don't want it.

I've had my issues with the eye pipe but it's usually been my own stupid mistakes (minus broken paint getting under it and in the breach). Reading the posts in this thread have definitely opened my eyes to it's usefulness.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 AM #5827
imped4now
BTFU

imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstealth View Post
Imped,
I was into the rock crawling like I'm into the technical side of paintball. Very, very much so.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 AM #5828
XKE

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
I think *most folks* that hate on the eye pipe do so blindly and with a lack of thoughtfulness and understanding, especially the modern 4th gen revision. If you have legitimate reasons, OK - but most folks just regurgitate something they heard from their buddy's cousin's teammate and don't actually have a well thought out, educated, experienced take of their own.
Be that as it may, it still in some instances keeps those players from buying the markers. The average player isn't into the technical side of the equipment.

I had a lot of trouble with the eye pipe in a DM7 I used to run but never had any issue with the updated versions in my DSR or M3+. I did see teammates shoot them out on occasion. It normally went as so - 1) Pull off the barrel to swab. 2) Cycle the marker a few times to clear the breech... 3) Cycling the marker inadvertently clears the breech of the eye pipe in the process. 4) Reinstall the barrel... 5) Profit?
This situation could play out between points or even during a point after a bad dive etc.
Were they careless? Yep. They were thoughtlessly doing what they had done hundreds of times before except with an eye pipe, it can give you issues.

We know that you can pull/rinse/replace the eye pipe and go on about your day. I wouldn't expect any of the regulars in this thread to have issues with an eye pipe. More likely, regulars here would benefit from the eye pipe design but paintball is full of knuckleheads.

I think DYE could do a better job of marketing the benefits of the eye pipe. Selling it just on the potential merit of "the bolt will sweep the eye pipe and clean up any eye blockage" isn't very compelling. Particularly when we know paint gets behind the eye pipe and that "feature" can fail.

I am admittedly ignorant of what macdev has done to the breech of their markers that people seem to like. I consider DYE's eye pipe to be among the better solutions that the industry offers. That said, I don't think every Johnny Walk-on saying that they have issues with the eye pipe should be completely dismissed.
XKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:56 AM #5829
XxJKATxX
Legit As They Come

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
XxJKATxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxJKATxX is an NCPA National Champion
XxJKATxX has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Shooting a few DSR+'s at the field now I certainly would like to eventually add one to the collection. I'm really trying to hold out to see if they do a One series for the dsr+ like they do the m3+.

160R,Trex Victory,DM7
Virtue Spire 3/FS 88/W Powerhouse Reg,
^Changes so much does not even matter XD

East Carolina Paintball Team Alumni
2015 NCPA National Champion Class AA
XxJKATxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:59 AM #5830
Intern1

Intern1 is Legendary
I think dye more or less solved the issues of cracked eye pieces with this new generation. From reading this thread it sounds like the biggest issue is people losing/shooting out the eye pipe. If we can solve that the it sounds like there would really be nothing for anyone to complain about.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:18 PM #5831
ironyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKE View Post
I think DYE could do a better job of marketing the benefits of the eye pipe. Selling it just on the potential merit of "the bolt will sweep the eye pipe and clean up any eye blockage" isn't very compelling. Particularly when we know paint gets behind the eye pipe and that "feature" can fail.
How do you think we could do that? IMO, calling it "eye" anything is kind of silly because it's primary utility is in carrying the detents. The geometry of the breech makes it where the eyes look through the pipe and the wiping action is kind of meh to me. I'd prefer to call the part a "detent bridge" because that's really it's primary function.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:08 AM #5832
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
How do you think we could do that? IMO, calling it "eye" anything is kind of silly because it's primary utility is in carrying the detents. The geometry of the breech makes it where the eyes look through the pipe and the wiping action is kind of meh to me. I'd prefer to call the part a "detent bridge" because that's really it's primary function.
Breach guard/shield? *shrugs* At this point its a staple of the platform. Ive never loved or hated it but it is certainly a point of contention for some. I will admit I always look to avoid as much built in obsolescence as possible and the various generations of eyepipes do give some concerns towards parts availability. The same can be said by a number of custom built parts/seals for other markers though.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 01-15-2022 at 12:12 AM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:06 AM #5833
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJKATxX View Post
Shooting a few DSR+'s at the field now I certainly would like to eventually add one to the collection. I'm really trying to hold out to see if they do a One series for the dsr+ like they do the m3+.
I’m waiting till the new feedneck and asa comes out for the PLUS, and then I might ask for a DyeLab. Add in a UL-s kit to match the color scheme. A dust black with some gloss black, maybe with the Ironmen Shield logo on it. That’s my current dream marker. Oh, and two different sing trigger frames- one set up for mech, the other setup for electric. I’d have the original grip frame to use a double trigger as an option.

Give me a Dye LTR with an aluminum top shell to match the anno of the gun. Powerhouse Reg to match as well... I’d dub this the Iron Machine.

Eye Pipe Retention
My ideas on how to lock the eye pipe in-

Either a screw underneath the eye pipe, accessible by removing the upper body from the trigger frame.

Or

Something in the feedneck that slots down just far enough to hold the eye pipe in its place. You could remove the hopper to get your finger on the tab to lift the slot up to be able to free up the eye pipe.

Again, have the new eye pipe encased in some kind of gasket to prevent leaking, broken paint from getting past the pipe. The detents need a way to prevent broken paint from getting past it also, maybe doable too with the gasket idea.
-Operation Paintball Paintball Park [ woodsball and speedball ]
-DBS Pro Shop and Paintball Park [ host of Ninjaball tournament series ]
-Inception Designs/Simon Stevens Mechanical Markers
-Dye Precision
-Shocker Paintball and DLX Technologies
-Virtue Paintball- Built To Win
https://virtuepb.com/?sca_ref=667267.6PUbRPX1na ( click the link to shop )
-Powerhouse Competition Regulators

Current Favorite Markers
-FLE Emek
-CS2 Pro w/mech frame
-Shocker AMP CC

Team
Geo’s Phantoms
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:34 AM #5834
Mr. Charlie

Having the Eye Pipe lock in might not be a bad thing. The Feedneck Retention Tab idea is pretty good IMO Noa.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 AM #5835
Intern1

Intern1 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Breach guard/shield? *shrugs* At this point its a staple of the platform. Ive never loved or hated it but it is certainly a point of contention for some. I will admit I always look to avoid as much built in obsolescence as possible and the various generations of eyepipes do give some concerns towards parts availability. The same can be said by a number of custom built parts/seals for other markers though.
Same. The eye pipe didn't play any part in my decision to buy either one of my DSRs. Maybe since I don't play as much as someone the people in this thread, so I haven't run into the situations they have.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:23 AM #5836
ironyusa

Or, maybe it's more of a perceived issue than a real issue.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:20 AM #5837
Buckland

Quote:
Or, maybe it's more of a perceived issue than a real issue.
What is the main function of the eye pipe overall, if not the ability for the bolt to clear the breech after a break? Is it just an alternative to removable eye covers?

It may have been covered previously, I guess I'm just wondering why you feel it is an improvement over the conventional design used by most manufacturers?

Last edited by Buckland : 01-15-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Buckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:31 AM #5838
Mr. Charlie

The Eye Pipe has been a Dye Marker feature for years (since the DM7) long before IronyUSA (no offense), but here is what he has said about it:

Quote: