Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 PM #1
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

has been a member for 10 years
Sogamember666 supports Team VICIOUS
Sogamember666 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sogamember666 supports our troops
Sogamember666 is Legendary
Pump Markers and you! The Sticky for those interested and new pumpers.

There seems to be an influx of newer pump players and those that are interested in playing pump but need some assistance in determining what pump marker they should purchase/build.

So you're interested in playing pump. Good choice! Not only is pump play challenging but seems to be more rewarding when you do get that elimination. Not to mention it helps focus on core skills that can make you a better player. Some players enjoy it because it usually has a lower cost paint bill, high end pumps are cheaper than high end electros, some pumps have more "character", and etc. Whatever you reason for playing or have an interest in starting up, you'll need a pump marker.

You can't go wrong with finding pump players in your area and asking them to try using their markers. Most of us even carry loaners to allow new pump players to try it out. After all, we want more pumpers.

The first thing you'll need to consider is a budget. Most of us are on a limited budget and since you might not be sure pump is for you, then you definitely don't want to spend alot and end up not liking it.

Also consider:

Your current barrel kit. If you have a cocker threaded kit, purchase a marker that takes these threads to help lower costs. Most pumps need a multi-bore barrel system to prevent roll outs (ball rolls out due to a larger bore than paint size). Here are ways to prevent this (This works for almost all pumps). If you plan to purchase a kit, get one with a wide variety of bores/inserts. You will want this to prevent roll outs, aid with consistence, and more accurate shots. Alot of players use Deadly Winds Fibur kits, SP or Empire Freak barrels, etc. Whatever you chose, the more the merrier.

Your air system. Most pumps will run off of Co2 or compressed air. However using Co2 in certain markers will require to be re-sprung or re-configured. The same applies for low pressure compressed air systems. Your best bet is to use the search tool here or try google. There is countless threads on the subject. All most all pumps (with stock internals) will run fine on HP.

Your current setup. This bit of info will help determine which pump could help you transition to pump play better. If you are currently using a Tiberius T8 (or variant), TiPX or similar marker that uses 12 grams and limited paint (15 balls or less), or you want an ultra light setup, want the most challenge, don't have a lot of money to spend on paint, then you might want to try a Stock Class setup. If you are using a semi/electro setup, ie tank and loader, then you may want to try an Open Class marker. Open class markers use a tank and a loader. This will be the most obvious choice for someone that already is used to using a similar setup. Not to say that someone can't get used to either, but will likely yield a better transition to pump play.

Most of the markers listed can be found in the Buy Sell Trade section of PbNation for a good price. If you want to build your own Sniper, then check this thread out. You can find most of the pieces here on PbN to build one. If you choose to buy new, go to your favorite online store or pro shop to order one. The markers posted tend to be the cheapest, easy for new players to learn, can be customized.

Obviously there is a ton out there but this is just the basics to get you started.

Open Class:

WGP Sniper (an Autococker converted to pump, Trilogy versions tend to be the cheapest)
Azodin Kaos Pump
Kingman Hammer
Empire Traccer
Empire Sniper (used aren't to pricey)
Custom built WGP Snipers
Open Class Phantoms
SL-68 IIs

Stock Class:
CCI Phantoms are pretty much the cheapest, most common, and customizable SC marker there is.

However, you can mod or purchase stock class feeds and setups from online stores.

Stock class feeds can be made using cheap hardware store parts. These can be made for most OC markers.

Modifications/Upgrades: This is a topic that many have wondered about. As a pump marker you will want some similar aspects to semi/electros. You will want a good barrel, a smooth pump stroke, a consistent regulator and a comfy trigger frame. You will want a smooth stroke, simply because it feels better, same for the trigger frame. A good barrel is an obvious, high advised it is a multi bore kit though. A good consistent regulator is needed to make that one shot count. A spring kit is high advisable to achieve field regulated speeds.

Some other aspects aren't as important. You may want a clamping feedneck to accept any loader. Bolts...unless your bolt is beat to heck, falling apart, or sometimes metal, then more than likely you won't need it. You're better off saving $30 to go play or put it aside for a different pump. You are using a pump, speed is not necessary and the risk of chopping a ball due to speed is slim. Efficiency can slightly be improved but unless you AT alot like me, play big games/scenarios, out law ball then shots per fill might not be a huge issue since you might not shoot more than 200 balls a game.

For all markers it is best to have simple rebuild kits, small parts, o-rings, seals etc. to keep you in the game.

The markers listed above are probably the most commonly found used or new, and are great starters. However don't let the word "starter" upset or worry you. As most experienced pump players will agree, you can get shot out by any marker whether it is a $800 CCM or a $20 pawn shop special.

For other help getting started check out these other great stickies:

Where to buy pump gear?!?!
Ultimate Pump Fourm Sticky
Pump FAQs
Pump Hopper sticky

Note: I don't take credit for making those stickies, minus mine.

I will be adding and updating this over time to keep it current and I feel it needs more info. Please keep the chit chat to the PMs.

Last edited by Sogamember666 : 08-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Sogamember666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 PM #2
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Reserved
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 AM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

Nice! Good write up.

I would add that for anyone thinking of trying pump, they should attempt to borrow one first instead of dropping cash on one.

There is no need for anyone to go out and buy a CCM for their FIRST pump gun! Yes CCM is good, but no one learns to drive in a Ferrari either...

You could expand your open class and stock class lists a bit...there are alot more options out there.

I would also add Modified Stock Class. Use a stick feed on an open class or semi marker, this is a great way to transition into lower rate of fire.

Last. If only there was some way to make this thread title in font 42, flashing with bells and big arrows to draw the attention of those people who refuse to read...
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 AM #4
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Yeah I understand I'm missing some info and what not. My wife was getting crabby for me being on her laptop so long. She's gone this weekend so I will edit it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM #5
mwak00

mwak00 supports Ninja Paintball
hey I'm really torn between the Empire sniper and the Bob Long MVP. both seem really great but is the MVP really worth the extra $270. Plus the MVP doesn't come with any kind of barrel kit, just the remedial .685 bore as well as the MVP has really crappy packaging but I like the way the MVP looks alot more so than the sniper. As well as I am not crazy about external poppet bolts like on the egos or dp fusion fx but I can live with them. So what I'm asking is anyone with experience feel free to chime in or pm me because I want to buy one by the end of the month. Thanks
mwak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 PM #6
cdogwoo

plays in the NXL 2
cdogwoo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cdogwoo plays in the APPA D3 division
ive got a wgp oracle pump
cdogwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM #7
Pew-Key
[INSERTCLEVERUSERTITLE]

Pew-Key owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Pew-Key has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
opinions on the ccm pump guns?
Pew-Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM #8
Kungpoopanda
FIREPROOF FOR LIFE

Kungpoopanda owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
^^ Your not going to hear anything but good things about them.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM #9
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew-Key View Post
opinions on the ccm pump guns?
What about them in particular? I would stay away from them if you are just starting out. They tend to be on the upper price scale. However if you have played a couple games and decide that you want to play pump and want top of the line then go for it.

CCM does offer this:

Great Customer Service
Crazy amount of options to choose from (4 pumps in production)
Amazingly smooth
They build their markers from the ground up to be intended as pumps, not converted semis
Very good resale value
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 PM #10
Pew-Key
[INSERTCLEVERUSERTITLE]

Pew-Key owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Pew-Key has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks for the feedback guys ^^^
Pew-Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM #11
Weddelious

Weddelious owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Weddelious has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Weddelious has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I looking to get into it, I was looking at the empire sniper pump gun. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM #12
protoman87

First pump I tried was my Karnivor, I think I made a great choice on buying impulsively. She was shootin' 278-273 fps.
Dye Rotor/Carbon Fiber 68/4500 psi tank
protoman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM #13
ELITEdudes

ELITEdudes owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I'm looking at the empire sniper but today I saw that paintball gateway has a empire sniper pro edition, which has a lot of extra good stuff, any info on the sniper? I'm not looking to spend 700 bucks on a T2 or anything so don't recommend that, I wan opinions on the sniper
ELITEdudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM #14
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEdudes View Post
I'm looking at the empire sniper but today I saw that paintball gateway has a empire sniper pro edition, which has a lot of extra good stuff, any info on the sniper? I'm not looking to spend 700 bucks on a T2 or anything so don't recommend that, I wan opinions on the sniper
The Pro Edition addresses some areas that the normal Sniper could use some improvements on. Not to mention the addition of some much needed color choices. You could purchase a used Empire Sniper from the BSTs and purchase their upgrade kit separately. It would be a bit cheaper. Those upgrades to the base Sniper should make it alot better. I personally have no experience with the Pro version but even I wouldn't mind checking it out to see where it falls short at.

Even though its a Pro edition, you still might have some feeding issues like the base model does. The base is still a great pump marker. Its a great price for all the stuff you get with it. Check out the review sections for more opinions.

You can also find many used CCM markers in the BSTs for not to much more than the Pro Edition.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM #15
mister2driver
This is my PUMP BADGE

mister2driver plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
mister2driver supports Empire
Awesome write up!!!!!!

Peace-

KAMANDAG Bang Out Games @ WARPED & AMBUSH

mister2driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM #16
empi99
of Saradomin

empi99 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
empi99 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
empi99 supports Empire
anyone had any experience with the Kaos pump?
  • badassmcgee
empi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM #17
Swanie08
I Am Bennyy

Swanie08 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Swanie08 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Swanie08 supports Team VICIOUS
Good work Soga!
Swanie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 PM #18
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by empi99 View Post
anyone had any experience with the Kaos pump?
My buddy has one and loves it, others have shot one/owned one and didn't like them.

My friend however loves it. But think of it as a Spyder pump, that's what it really is. You will need Spyder springs to get it fine tuned, and I'm damn sure it takes Spyder threads.

If you are looking for a cheap open class pump and don't know where to start, I would suggest buying a used sniper.

However they can be tricky for new users. As long as you read the stickies and ask some of the experienced players you'll be fine.

Look at some of the reviews on here to find out some more info. I would look around for some users on here that have one and send them a PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM #19
empi99
of Saradomin

empi99 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
empi99 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
empi99 supports Empire
^ thanks for the info. idk about the kaos markers, but my blitz is cocker threaded. what would be tricky about the sniper?
  • badassmcgee
empi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM #20
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by empi99 View Post
^ thanks for the info. idk about the kaos markers, but my blitz is cocker threaded. what would be tricky about the sniper?
Well then I was mistaken on the threads. Snipers can be tricky only in tuning really.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM #21
2PuMPCHuMP

Just getting back into paintballing after about 15 years and seeing all these new guns. I started off with a spyder compact and that was considered the "poor man's autococker" back in the day. Dug the whole concept of the pump gun and bought myself the empire sniper. Cant say that I regret it. Shoots nice and accurate. One thing I had to do was change the pump handle though so I Jerry rigged a ccm pump handle and it looks DOPE!
2PuMPCHuMP is offline   Reply With Quote