John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
I don't think they are still making Dirty Jobs.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 AM #65
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Nope, but Mike's doing "Somebody's Gotta Do It" on CNN.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM #66
WarpedGreg
Watch. Learn. Win.

WarpedGreg is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
WarpedGreg posts videos on PbNation
WarpedGreg has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
That'd work too! I just think getting a large network like CNN broadcasting something about the NXL could be great for paintball.

I remembered him saying something about doing a "dirty jobs" type show still.

Florida Atlantic University Alumni
WarpedGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:02 PM #67
Twiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPB-ChristianW View Post
Essentially Uprising was playing for the win rather than holding on to the tie for overtime and the mowed down the field in a pretty quick point, I believe they had at least two guys left and as the remaining Distortion (I think) guys were shot out the buzzer was pressed by Uprising, the clock ran out and announced "overtime" and a red flag went up in the air in that order. Swing point, Uprising goes from either winning or playing overtime to losing.

This isnt a knock on the league as these things are obviously a part of paintball where the teams are so good and the games so close. But just from a spectator point of view it's really a shame that where you have a slower layout, the teams that actually push to make it exciting (rather than just play for draws and lucky breaks) stand a greater chance of getting penalized and having the game taken out of their hands.

We say we want faster more exciting games. But the teams who push hard have the cards stacked against them if the calls can pull away the game. The teams that hold back and draw out the time are more likely to win not only because it's a safer strategy but because it's less likely to get penalized. I don't have a strong solution as quick judgement calls will always be difficult.

The only thing I can think of is if a call is a game-breaker (last minute?) have the option to automatically instant replay or ref consultation.
There was still one player left alive for Distortion in the snake corner.

That being said, its pretty simple, don't touch the buzzer if you have a hit on you, especially if its an obvious one, and especially if its at the end of the game.

The incident in question does reward the aggressive team. Distortion played the point with zero chance of winning (outside of a swing point) and resigned themselves to playing OT. They're not counting on Uprising getting a major, they're counting on winning the next point. On the other hand, Uprising took the chance of actually winning the game.. as long as no one cheated. When you play reckless that's the risk you take.

The only time I feel bad with the rule is if someone gets shot when they can't change their forward momentum from hanging a flag or hitting a buzzer. Example in mid-dive to the buzzer. In this case I feel it should just be a no-point with no penalties assessed but I can see it being sticky with ref discretion on if a person could or couldn't have stopped themselves.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM #68
drillbit

drillbit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
drillbit plays in the APPA D5 division
drillbit has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
drillbit supports Empire
it's a shame they didn't try to work with killcliff to keep an outside industry sponsor in the mix... or maybe they did, and it fell through. say what you want about the psp, but they brought an outside sponsor back into paintball for the first time in a long time

Part time salesmen, full time youth pastor, "half" time paintballer=all the time crazy!
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 PM #69
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 supports our troops
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post
it's a shame they didn't try to work with killcliff to keep an outside industry sponsor in the mix... or maybe they did, and it fell through. say what you want about the psp, but they brought an outside sponsor back into paintball for the first time in a long time
perhaps they realized what all other former outside sponsors of paintball realized... they are advertising to no one.

Hell I saw Kill Cliff sponsor Battle frog on ESPN. Running an obstacle course gave them more exposure than our national professional tournament.
VETERAN MILITIAPaintball
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:10 AM #70
MoNoFx
FSUU

MoNoFx is a founding member
 plays in the NXL
MoNoFx owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
MoNoFx owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
I must say I very much enjoyed the NXL.
The fields were great, vendors were awesome.

I played 10 man at the event and had a blast but a few things to critique.
the airstations at the 10 man field had an issue where the fill stations would not fit over a ninja nipple. Several of my teammates had this issue and other players playing 10 man. The only explanation was its a ninja issue and to take it to the ninja booth. However when we only have about 10 minutes between matches then that does not work. We had to go to pits on other fields to fill up. And those stations worked fine.

MoNoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM #71
esauce

esauce is playing at Living Legends IX
esauce owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
esauce supports Ninja Paintball
rad
Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 PM #72
Jeffriezz

Jeffriezz supports Cereal Killerz 2
Thanks for doing this john. Event writing is probably what I miss most from the magazine era. I really appreciate seeing someone put in the effort for long form.
Jeffriezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 AM #73
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerpunk911 View Post
2 things:
I was there from Thursday-Sunday, and every time I went into a vender booth they barely said, "hi." Idk if it's because I was wearing paintball gear and figured I was just looking around, but honestly being nice is free and it doesn't hurt. I'm not saying you have to throw down your best howdy doody, but customer service isn't just about calling in and someone answering a phone. I'd love to see some great interaction with the people in the vendor tents. Especially when I make a purchase in your tent, and you can't even say "thank you" irritates me and turns me off from buying from you again. It's the small things, but the small things add up. Sorta the same with the NXL staff, just a smile and nod would've been nice.
I noticed that too when I bought a few things... TMG, Virtue/Macdev, and PE's tech tent they actually communicated some with people.
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 AM #74
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Nice write up John
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 AM #75
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John supports Empire
John is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffriezz View Post
Thanks for doing this john. Event writing is probably what I miss most from the magazine era. I really appreciate seeing someone put in the effort for long form.
Thanks! I know why people don't do it, it's an investment of time for sure. I don't write quickly anymore (probably since I am out of practice just like everyone else) and when I used to do this, I had an editor that would read it over and fix things I overlooked.

This all started because Dave Bains asked me if the NXL was going to get a positive review on PbNation. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was showing his age just by asking that. We don't do that. Then I realized, no one really does that anymore so I wanted to step up and try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle View Post
The only time I feel bad with the rule is if someone gets shot when they can't change their forward momentum from hanging a flag or hitting a buzzer. Example in mid-dive to the buzzer. In this case I feel it should just be a no-point with no penalties assessed but I can see it being sticky with ref discretion on if a person could or couldn't have stopped themselves.
The buzzer helps that actually. Holding a flag and just touching the base bunker, I can see someone not being able to stop their forward momentum if they got shot while diving. However, a person could intentionally NOT hit the buzzer even if they got shot diving for it since it is two separate motions (diving forward and reaching out to push down on the buzzer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frippers613 View Post
Thanks John! I enjoyed your write up. It reminded me of a VFTD post. Keep them coming.
That made me really sad. I really enjoyed Paul's view of paintball and that was a sad reminder that we won't get that anymore.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:38 PM #76
todamax369
Dustin

todamax369 posts videos on PbNation
todamax369 plays in the APPA D4 division
todamax369 supports Ninja Paintball
Thank you John for taking the time to write this. I thoroughly enjoy good reads like this!
todamax369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM #77
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John supports Empire
John is All In
The Dynasty vs Xfactor match just went live!

Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8e8TZzg_Ik

Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM #78
Andyreed6
Techno Viking

Andyreed6 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Andyreed6 plays in the APPA D4 division
Andyreed6 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Andyreed6 supports Shocker RSX
Andyreed6 supports Ninja Paintball
Andyreed6 supports Empire
niceeeeeee john
Andyreed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:17 PM #79
Andyreed6
Techno Viking

Andyreed6 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Andyreed6 plays in the APPA D4 division
Andyreed6 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Andyreed6 supports Shocker RSX
Andyreed6 supports Ninja Paintball
Andyreed6 supports Empire
and thanks for writing this it is nice to actually get to sit and read a different perspectives take on the event and how it went. nicely done!!
Andyreed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.