John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
John owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
John owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Exclamation New PUSH Unite Goggles - Review and Pictures - VIDEO

I first heard about the PUSH Unite goggle over a year and a half ago and have been waiting impatiently ever since for its arrival. The truth is, I hear about lots of impending products, but not all of them make it to market. The PUSH goggle seemed like a long shot in every sense. It was an auspicious product being created by a brand new company. It aimed to be top of the line in every sense. They weren't just releasing a goggle but also a new style of chinstrap and even a case - something no other goggle manufacturer has yet to bring to market. However, it also had industry veteran Bryon Benini, best known for working at Dye and playing on the Ironmen and Aftershock, working diligently to design and deliver the best goggle possible. To form PUSH Bryon teamed up with Mark Knop, best known for playing on Avalanche and starring in the original PUSH paintball film.

I'd seen samples of the pre-production version of the PUSH Unite goggle several times at events, but I tried not to draw conclusions before the final ones were actually shipping. Some products change a lot during production - sometimes for the better, but not always. I even told PUSH that I'd order whatever color they had available in order to get in on the first production run. When my set of goggles arrived this last weekend, my patience was well rewarded. A set of gray goggles arrived in time to play paintball this last weekend and these goggles exceeded my expectations in many ways.

The case is a work of art in itself. It's molded to fit the form of the PUSH Unite goggle exactly with a small pocket inside for the nose piece 3/32 allen wrench and a small lens cloth (like you might see for eye glasses). It's relatively rigid but has a bit of flex and lined inside so it will be easy on the lens. I picked up a reflective gold lens and it came in its own cool quilted protective sleeve. My one minor qualm with the case is that there's no space for a spare lens inside the case. It's nice to not have to look through your whole gear bag when you need a clear lens for low light conditions. There is however space behind the mask, so I added a small bottle of Virtue's Glint lens cleaner wrapped in a more durable (and harder to lose) Exalt lens cloth.

The first thing I noticed when I took them out of the case was the weight. These feel lighter than the ones on display at World Cup last year, but that could just be my imagination. This mask weighed in at 12.3 ounces with the magnetic chin strap. They would weigh less without the strap, but honestly, you should try it before you remove it. The mask rests easily on my cheeks and doesn't hamper breathing through my big nose.

The second thing I appreciated about them right away was their flexibility. These masks are soft. Like, you could conceivably take a bounce off the front soft. The facemask has some serious flex but the ears are incredibly soft. I almost wanted to handle the ears delicately they are so thin and pliable.

Right away I replaced the stock reflective lens with the spare gold one. I did it partially to make the goggle look a little different from stock so it would stick out in the upcoming video but mostly to see how hard it is to change lenses. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't super intuitive and fast either. I wouldn't want to figure it out for the first time in the pits between points. I assume I'll get faster at it. The best part of the lens replacement was that there were no additional parts to lose. Everything either stayed on the goggle or stayed on the lenses. That means replacement lenses do have black plastic wings on them. Don't try to remove those.

The PUSH United goggle has a unique adjustment through the nose piece that allows you to actually adjust how close the mask fits to your face. You can adjust it with the lenses in it and even while it is on your face. Just insert the provided 3/32 allen wrench through the hole in the nose piece and turn it to adjust it. The mask does have enough adjustment that it is noticeable how it sits. It's real warm here so I adjusted it all the way away from my face for its first time out.

It's difficult to convey the size of any goggle since everyone will wear them slightly differently and everyone's face is distinctive anyway. These felt larger than my Dye i4's and HK KLR's, but they don't feel big on me at all. They sit a little lower on my face than some goggles giving my face more protection. The goggles look small but they feel like they are more middle of the road with the amount of protection they offer. I know that's vague, but the real answer is to try a set on for yourself and see how they fit on your own noggin.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 AM #2
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
St Louis hit a record setting 108 degrees this last weekend, and any sane human being would have stayed inside. However, I wanted to try out the new PUSH Unite mask badly enough to brave the heat. I figured, if this wasn't a heat torture test, what would be?

I went and played paintball at Breakout Paintball to try out their new turf field and give people a chance to check the goggles out. Several people tried the goggles on before I played and got them too sweaty to loan to anyone in good faith. I honestly didn't hear a single negative thing from anyone and everyone was blown away by either the weight or the magnetic chinstrap.

I have a minor confession. I've never played paintball wearing a chinstrap until this weekend. I just haven't played any tournaments this year and they weren't ever required until 2017. The PUSH Unite made me actually want to try one out. It is padded and incredibly easy to fasten and unfasten one handed due to the magnet. It is near impossible to fasten incorrectly and can easily clip together due to the excellent magnetic design. It's also easy to detach by hand but I can't see any way the strap would release accidentally. It's a genius design and a truly comfortable chinstrap. However, if you don't want to wear the chin strap, you can simply remove it by unfastening the Velcro without cutting it.

I noticed a couple people mention that the mask must be hard to clean, so for the sake of doing a full review, I got myself shot right in the face a couple times playing this weekend. I didn't get a mouth full of paint and none of the hits hurt (but I didn't get bunkered either). It wiped down easily but I did throw it in the sink when I got home and sprayed it off to get all of the paint out of the front holes and vents. There wasn't much in there but it did have some that wouldn't have ever wiped out.

I've had some reflective goggle lenses that were very difficult to clean. No matter how many times I wiped them, they always seemed to have some oil or film on them. These cleaned easily without residue.

The sound acoustics wearing the mask were great and I didn't feel like my voice echoed back at me. Bryon Benini, the designer of the goggle and one of the founders of PUSH, says they designed the mask specifically with this in mind, so I tried to pay attention to it while playing.

The mask easily survived my heat torture test with flying colors. The lens was crystal clear and I didn't experience any glare. Bryon says this is due to design of the top bridge. "It helps cast a shadow over the top venting. We also put a chamfer on the top of the lens with a heavy texture to also help reduce glare on the inside." The foam stayed comfortable even in the heat. I didn't experience any fogging at all even with the switch between my very air conditioned car and the oppressive heat. The mask was also very breathable, even in the ridiculous heat.

I don't have much to say that's negative about the mask, but to be fair I'll make an honest effort. I admit I am slightly concerned with how securely the ears connect to the mask. The ears are very lightweight and the connection to the mask does not look rugged. I asked Bryon Benini about it specifically and he said none of them failed during any of their testing and if they ever did, they'd address it. However, he was comfortable with the design and had faith they would hold up to regular use. Here's Bryon's explanation of why they went with that design, "the ear piece is not actually too thin, it is just injected with a different material. The feel and flexibility may make it seem thinner. The connection point for the ear is part of the mask design and one of the features I believe help set it apart. Most of the other goggles use a secondary piece such as a snap or glue Velcro onto the mask which never fully adheres and falls off. Having the attachment point incorporated into the mask helps solve this problem while keeping it clean and simple. The tab is actually in the front grill inserts, which normally would be made of a harder and more brittle material in most dual injected masks and I could see your concern of it breaking away easy. However, the front grill is yet again a different material and is more flexible than the current systems as you noticed. This allows for the tab to also flex and not just break away. The lower mask (not including ears) actually has 3 different material mixtures and hardnesses. The upper part that connects to the goggle being the hardest while everything below is much softer and flexible."

The PUSH United goggle also doesn't come with a visor and there's not one currently available aftermarket. I like having a visor just in case of rain but not having one isn't a deal breaker. There's either a visor or a rain guard in development, but no promises on how long until that hits the market. And a visor obviously won't fit in the case attached and might even have problems wedging in the case behind the mask.

The back of the strap has silicone screen printing to help grip, but the strap has a different feel than the more traditional silicone beading found on older straps like the OG JT Flex. I was worried it wasn't going to be grippy enough, but I never noticed it slipping once when playing.

Paintball masks are an intensely personal piece of gear and every mask fits everyone a little different, so I always recommend people try before they buy. There is no one mask for everyone. All in all the team at PUSH Paintball knocked this mask out of the park. It's lightweight, soft, looks cool, and fits comfortably with some cutting edge features. It's also obvious by Bryon and Mark's attention to detail and interest that this is as much a labor of love as the launch of a new flagship product for PUSH. If you're in the market, check it out. The Predators in England are already wearing them as a team so it will be interesting to see if any US based professional teams use them next year.

Predator mask in olive.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM #3
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Living Legends XI
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
dreadmuppet is Legendary
dreadmuppet supports Ninja Paintball
Excellent write up, thank you John.

When are you adding it to the review section?

To confirm, did you try any visors on it? It looks like a great mask but I gotta have a visor, just for overhead sun, let alone rain.

Instagram * NHW Paintball * Facebook

"Originally posted by Joshisanalligator: buddy, we're on the internet. just be thankful there's a central topic to this argument"

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM #4
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
I can see if I have a visor that will fit it. I usually try not to mix and match brands (mostly as a courtesy to the people who work there). PUSH is currently working on a visor, but I don't know how long it will take to bring it to market.

Good call about the review section.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 AM #5
Jim

Jim is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
John, how would you say the the optical clarity is compared to other top goggles like the Vio and i5? Someone stole my Vio this past weekend so now it seems I'm (forcibly) in the market for a new set.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 AM #6
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
John, how would you say the the optical clarity is compared to other top goggles like the Vio and i5? Someone stole my Vio this past weekend so now it seems I'm (forcibly) in the market for a new set.
Sorry about your goggles. That really sucks. I hope they show back up.

To me, they are on par with other high ends. However, I'll be honest, I am the wrong person to ask. I can use virtually any goggle on the market without issue. There's only one I can't and that's because the thermal lens gasket line sits right in my vision. But there's no goggle I don't use due to optical clarity. It might actually be that my eyesight is no longer perfect. Or it might be that I am not picky. It's just not one of my issues with goggles.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM #7
Jim

Jim is a founding member
Gotcha, much appreciated! I know some lenses with the gasket really get in the way for me. Never noticed too much of a difference in my i4s or Vios regarding optics so if these are a bit lighter and just as good, they sound like a winner to me.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM #8
MotoMn121
Mr. Self Destruct

Annual Supporting Member
MotoMn121 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
John - is there any chance you could share a shot of the INSIDE of the mask, showing the bridge area? I do not have any local paintball stores in my area, and nobody I know has a pair of these for me to try on, so I'm trying to get an idea of how that part of the mask is contoured.

My JT Flex 7 fits my nose/cheekbones well, but my HK KLR is not comfortable in that area at all. If I remember correctly, my I4 fit somewhere between the two.
MotoMn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM #9
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a founding member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life is Legendary
Looking good in that reflection John
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 AM #10
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
Looking good in that reflection John
Thanks buddy. I used to at least try to get myself out of the reflection, but I spoke to a friend who has to shoot mirrored lenses as part of his job recently and even he bemoaned how impossible it was to shoot them without some post processing. So I let myself off the hook and didn't worry about it. Truth is, the lenses are reflective as hell.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 PM #11
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMn121 View Post
John - is there any chance you could share a shot of the INSIDE of the mask, showing the bridge area? I do not have any local paintball stores in my area, and nobody I know has a pair of these for me to try on, so I'm trying to get an idea of how that part of the mask is contoured.

My JT Flex 7 fits my nose/cheekbones well, but my HK KLR is not comfortable in that area at all. If I remember correctly, my I4 fit somewhere between the two.
Ummmm. I tried? It's really sunny out now so it casts sharp shadows. I am not really sure what you're trying to ascertain from a photo though.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM #12
Kazer

Kazer is playing at Living Legends VIII
Kazer supports DLX Technology
Kazer supports DLX Technology
This goggle looks incredible - the olive with the chrome red lenses can't be beat. Price is also in line with the other high end goggle systems.
Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM #13
#1P8ntballer
wha da heo

#1P8ntballer is a Supporting Member
#1P8ntballer is a founding member
#1P8ntballer owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
#1P8ntballer supports DLX Technology

as close as it gets for now...
Bob Long Ripper Victory Marq
----NT11 ----CHEAP 600+
Zombie Nation NT
Custom 2k2 Timmy ACS Body Spimmy
ANS Gen-X Autococker Adrenaline Angel LED Black Magic Autococker 2001 Angel LCD Dark Angel LED ReTro valve Automag
#1P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM #14
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Rancid1845 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D4 division
Rancid1845 supports DLX Technology
Curious to see how it fits my fat head......even in EVS's my chin is visible.
Top Gun T3
West Virginia University
Murder Inc. Silver
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:41 PM #15
rorodr0033
Rolling

Annual Supporting Member
rorodr0033 is playing at Living Legends VII
rorodr0033 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
rorodr0033 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
rorodr0033 is attending Decay of Nations VII
rorodr0033 supports DLX Technology
rorodr0033 supports DLX Technology
Good writing John, as usual...

Would love to try these on but I am afraid that in Europe that will close to impossible ....

Apart from all the benefits that you mentioned of the mask, I am really impress with the fact that it can be adjusted with an allen key (its a big plus for sure...) and oh boy... the case, thats taking it to the next level!...

They are adding some good benefits... whats the price on these?...
rorodr0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM #16
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorodr0033 View Post
Good writing John, as usual...

Would love to try these on but I am afraid that in Europe that will close to impossible ....

Apart from all the benefits that you mentioned of the mask, I am really impress with the fact that it can be adjusted with an allen key (its a big plus for sure...) and oh boy... the case, thats taking it to the next level!...

They are adding some good benefits... whats the price on these?...
Thanks for the compliment.

They are $170. And they should be available in Europe. Mark Knop actually lives in Croatia these days.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM #17
jeryzkid22
lone ranger

jeryzkid22 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Think I can rig a gopro on the top of the frame easily?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM #18
Scrappy4STL

Thanks for bringing those out to the field last weekend! That is a wonderful mask and that heat was brutal. You guys going to hit the field this Sunday considering it will be ALOT cooler haha
Scrappy4STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM #19
NaughtyPants
Glipglop

Annual Supporting Member
NaughtyPants owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
NaughtyPants supports Ninja Paintball
I would not mind seeing these on a head with a some head gear.
NaughtyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM #20
mountainviewchris
zero-sized solutions

Annual Supporting Member
mountainviewchris is a Mega Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
Excellent write up, thank you John.

When are you adding it to the review section?

To confirm, did you try any visors on it? It looks like a great mask but I gotta have a visor, just for overhead sun, let alone rain.

mountainviewchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM #21
MoNoFx
FSUU

MoNoFx is a founding member
MoNoFx plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
MoNoFx owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Looks interesting. Hopefully my big head fits with these.

at least It should, it is Marks company, should be known for big heads

MoNoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.