PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 PM #1
mueller
hypocriticizer

Arrow PM6 oil slick • prototype? Aurora? 1/1 Proto Matrix

I have a Proto Matrix PM6 Oil Slick and am entertaining sale.

Provenance -
I acquired the post-anodizing body/shell w/ zero internal parts & clearly never any attempt made at reassembly which was curious. It came from SoCal and I believe from a former DYE employee. That's all I know.

If I may speculate, I believe it was a prototype for the oil slick coating. Why else pay to have it coated then never even attempt to assemble. Others have suggested aurora coating, but I don't see anyone paying for that then never assembling

Build/condition -

- body has some road rash, looks like it was in a parts bin most its life. Seen worse oil slicks but it ain't mint
- frame, hyper2, ASA (all finished, only ones out there) all decent shape
- I bought a donor PM6 and assembled this unit from parts.
- The anodizing had slight out of tolerance on threads like the bolt threads, LPR cap etc - nothing crazy but noticeable on 1st assembly, I really had to coax some parts together at first but after a few rounds of assembly it's all workable, all stock oring spec
- It's now working/shooting fine IIRC

Pics:
single shoddy image, it's what I have in archive... You get the gist. I'm in the middle of a house remodel it's in a box somewhere - else I would take a few more.

Last edited by mueller : 05-18-2020 at 09:37 PM.
mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 PM #2
Squattingdog

Squattingdog is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Never seen an oil slick PM6 before. I actually buy the theory that it was a prototype for the oil slicks for the DM7/PM7. Oil slicks in general are desirable, especially if the they’re in good shape with no flaking. It also helps that DM7s and even PM7s are still held in pretty high regard. Unfortunately, this is a PM6 while not a bad gun it just doesn’t have the same fanfare that the PM7 and PM8 got.

If it were mine I’d list it at $300-$350, a normal PM6 would get around $150-$175, so the majority of value is in the anno. The body doesn’t seem to be in the best of shape and people that will pay top dollar for oil slicks want them in great shape.

I recommend you reach out to Dye and try to get them to verify the history of this marker. If you can get some documentation stating it was a prototype for the oil slick anno the value could definitely increase significantly, especially for a collector.
Squattingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 PM #3
pballer413

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
 is playing at Living Legends XI
EBay auction is probably your best bet with something like this. Have to pay fees but probably fetch more that being said if you do sell I would be interested in buying it.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:01 PM #4
mueller
hypocriticizer

Billy Wing just in:
Quote:
I’d have to say it was a sample to prove out the process.

....a rare find indeed. Back in the day we did not track samples well at all, so I can’t confirm this is a pre-production sample, but it is a very safe bet.
(truncated full quote to avoid any drama about how this may have wound up in circulation, suffice to say they're not concerned about that now)

Last edited by mueller : 05-19-2020 at 07:10 PM.
mueller is offline   Reply With Quote