Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter4life05 View Post
I have .680 and .685 backs, not much else is needed now a days.
I for sure wouldn't rebuy any of those bigger backs, I bought those back 15 years ago and just hung onto them. I bought the .684 and .686 in the last couple years when I started playing again.
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2020, 10:04 PM #23
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

I would love to have a .696 dye barrel.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:28 AM #24
Mr. Charlie
Scales CS1, M2, & M3s+

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
.696?!

That’s huge?

I’ve seen .695 UL backs...
Old 12-11-2020, 09:24 AM #25
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intern1 View Post
Interesting that the inserts are in increments of .002". I remember hearing backs and inserts had a greater tolerance than that.
It's always struck me as amusing that paintball players will buy things for the sole reason that the item(s) appear to be better. You're right, tolerances of .001 and .002 are pretty common. That means that a back or insert size claimed at .680 could be .681 to .683, and a .682 back/insert could be between .681 and .683. So even at the tightest tolerances, any two adjacent sized backs could be exactly the same bore, and that's assuming they're made well. Sloppy or out of tolerance manufacturing can be quite a bit more off.

That said, this looks to be a modern-looking barrel with the things a lot of players are looking for in a top level barrel. I'm sure HK will put many of these onto guns.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:45 AM #26
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
You're right, tolerances of .001 and .002 are pretty common. That means that a back or insert size claimed at .680 could be .681 to .683, and a .682 back/insert could be between .681 and .683. So even at the tightest tolerances, any two adjacent sized backs could be exactly the same bore, and that's assuming they're made well. Sloppy or out of tolerance manufacturing can be quite a bit more off.
and to add to this, thats at 21 degrees c (all quality machine shops are kept at a stable temp for tolerances) any temp higher and the bore will start to grow 1-2 thou and the opposite for lower temps.

so an insert marked 680 thats on the high side of tolerance at 682 could become a 684 when the temps get into the 30's.

this is why i think all we need is 670,675,680,685,690,695 at the most. 5 thou is like 2 human hairs

Powered By Powerhouse Regulators, DLX Luxe X, Pro-Shar Paintballs, Prairie Storm Paintball

All my weird random paintball parts for sale on eBay feel free to PM me offers on here.

Paul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:14 AM #27
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul77 View Post
and to add to this, thats at 21 degrees c (all quality machine shops are kept at a stable temp for tolerances) any temp higher and the bore will start to grow 1-2 thou and the opposite for lower temps.

so an insert marked 680 thats on the high side of tolerance at 682 could become a 684 when the temps get into the 30's.

this is why i think all we need is 670,675,680,685,690,695 at the most. 5 thou is like 2 human hairs

This is why these types of kits didnt make sense to me. Still the best size range for me is .675, .680, .685, .687 for the modern paint.

Aluminum inserts that are .675 in a 70* climate will shrink down to .671 in the winter when it is 35*. Same as it will expand up to .678 in temperatures in the low 100s.

This is why these kits being this tight in sizing are nonsense. (If made overseas) these likely have a tolerance of .002-.005 depending on the quality of the shop, meaning that your .685 can actually range from .680-.690 and still be sold to you. Then from summer to winter you will have roughly +/- .002 at a minimum in thermal expansion. So your .685 you started with can actually be getting used with .678 paint and still give a good match in certain conditions.

To be honest, this large range in insert size they offer actually may be beneficial, because you are all but guaranteeing you will at least have one insert that is a good match based on ****ed tolerances and current temperature regardless of what the printed on size actually is.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:15 AM #28
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
.696?!

Thatís huge?

Iíve seen .695 UL backs...
lol. Honestly anything above .689 at this point is just silly wasted money. There isnt a paint on earth right now that is boring above that consistently.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:38 PM #29
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
.696?!

That’s huge?

I’ve seen .695 UL backs...
It was custom bored out for one of the Aftershock guys back in like 2002 or so, at least that's what the guy I bought it off of told me. It started life as a standard .688 unmarked ultralight back and it was bored out and left raw aluminum in the bore. It came with a gun I bought. Sold the gun a long time ago but kept the back because it was kind of interesting. I've been thinking I should just send it out and have it freak bored since it'd worthless and I can't imagine it's all the collectable. I might as well get some use out of the thing.

Last edited by Legacy : 12-11-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:16 PM #30
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

Annual Supporting Member
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
Honestly, looks like something that checks a lot of marks if I was in the market for a new barrel system. Especially on length.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:37 PM #31
Jordan Hart

Annual Supporting Member
Looks like a nice kit. I'd like to see some readings on a sound meter to see if those slot ports make a sound difference. Quietest barrel I've ever shot is still a JR3 tip (ancient tech) on an ultralite back, and it has tons of porting. Either way it looks unique.

BoneSaw creation video:
https://youtu.be/XrdztAs6g2U

Linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-g-hart
Jordan Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:42 PM #32
RFP Professor

Well, it looks cool, which is as good a reason as any to buy a barrel kit I suppose.
RFP Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:20 PM #33
BradJohnson
Horse Trainer

Annual Supporting Member
I love how they are doing 15in!

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.