PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 PM #1
todd@techt

has been a member for 10 years
todd@techt works for a Paintball manufacturer
Cobra Recocking Fix

I got 20 Cobras as my starter .50 cal rentals at my field and I ran into recocking issues. Happened after 1 day of play on 25% of my rentals. I tried everything! Nothing worked!!!.....until...
I clipped 2 turns off the internal valve spring that holds the valve stem in place...and turning the velocity set screw in 7-10 turns from flush. Even with the valve spring cut if the velocity adjuster isn't in far enough the gun won't recock.
This has allowed me to keep my guns working! Don't cut off too much!
I hope this helps!
todd@techt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2017, 12:02 PM #2
FuturePlanning

Last Cobra I went to check out shot fine for the first day or two, after which had this same problem. I opted to go with the eNMEy in the long term.

Had high hopes for the Cobra. Grip frame is perfect for the younger players, seemed like finally a marker aimed at the actual .50Cal clientele.
FuturePlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:37 PM #3
todd@techt

I was going to go with the Enmy as well but the price on the Cobra was too good to not try. After modding the valve spring and putting some loc-tite on the grip panel screws...they seem good. I opted for the Kingman loaders from GI Sports...they make the gun look more like the standard size gun and hold a lot of paint!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:29 PM #4
FuturePlanning

Cost on the eNMEy is definitely a hurdle. The price definitely made the Cobra look appealing. It just reminded me of the initial run of the Spyder Opus with a never ending laundry list manifesting itself week after week.

At this time. My experience leaves only two useable markers for the long term. Gog eNMEy and the Tippmann FT50. Tippmanns are indeed Tippmanns, no maintenance shy of swapping out detents and dropping oil. The eNMEy requires a touch more maintenance, but will handle the brittler .50cal and that right there is gold for me.
FuturePlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM #5
crazyboarder9999
~The Insurance Guy John~

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Did you already implement this to the other 75% of the guns or are you waiting it out to see if they will have the same problem?
Stay low, shoot your lanes and have fun!
Ask me about insurance for your paintball field, league, shop, or products
crazyboarder9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 PM #6
todd@techt

I modded all the guns. They all seem good now. I went 2 weeks in a row with no issue other than screws in the grip panels falling out. Blue loctite is fixing that issue. ??
Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 AM #7
wolf16731

wolf16731 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wolf16731 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 supports Ninja Paintball
We are having a similar issue here. What FPS are you setting these Cobra's to with this modification, Todd?
Tippmann TiPX
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:35 PM #8
todd@techt

I was running at 280ish. By doing this valve spring mod you can actually run them at lower velocities than 290 and the gun will actually recock.

Speaking of the velocity set screw. I have found that 10 turns in allows the gun to recock if it's gonna and be an acceptable velocity. If it's less than that it's typically a little iffy about recocking.

New update....we had the dreaded recocking issue this last week with 5 guns and I could not figure it out. Changed everything. Bolt orings, hammer and oring, spring, valve, valve stem, seat, spring donut, The works. Nothing worked. Made me think the body around the hammer must be worn out...nope.

Figured out there was too much friction using three bolt orings. So I took off the rear oring on the bolt and they all worked perefect!!! The loss in velocity was very minimal/unnoticeable and all the guns are working really well now! Hell Yeah!

I'm hoping these two mods can help you too!
web - www.techtpaintball.com

All my products come with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
If you are not happy with a product, send it back within 30 days for a full refund.
I stand behind my parts, their designs, and the materials we use 110%.

Last edited by todd@techt : 10-02-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM #9
WPBTek

Thought I'd post some feedback on the Cobra 50cal markers after 5 months of use on our field. We've been running 30 of them... they don't get used every weekend, but probably had a few thousand shots through each by now. We keep them running at 250-260fps.

Firstly, don't run them on co2. The blow back is way too hard and we were replacing worn hammers every 200-300 shots on some markers. Switched to air and no worn out internals since!

Cocking pins used to pop out easily until we tightened the grub screws at the back of the bolts a bit more to hold them in place tighter.

Grip panel screws tend to work loose so we loctited them and that seems to work.

They need a lot of WD40 at the start of each day's play. Do that and they run great all day.

We did run into a few cocking issues recently even with the markers well lubed. Took Todd's advice and removed the rear bolt o-ring. This solved the issue straight away. Didn't notice any drop off in velocity either.

Other than that, we've had one marker need the cup seal replacing.

For the price, we're extremely happy with the way they running.
WPBTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM #10
Tdbeez68

Had the same problem. Worked great for the first day of play. Second day wouldn’t recock even though it was clean and well lubed with oil. I took the 3rd oring off and it fixed the problem. Have not had any further issues. Set to shoot 260’s FPS.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:35 PM #11
Bushleague2

I would try recocking it
Bushleague2 is offline   Reply With Quote