PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 PM #43
Justin6547
Fallout/260

has been a member for 10 years
Tweeter 4 is a complete idiot, ignore him.

This honestly looks great for where you are at, i have been following your progress on Instagram for awhile. I think ive played every paintball video game, i spent hours on dots xball and played all versions of dpb, even source for the 2 days it was active. NO paintball game has really solved all of the problems in one package, so dont feel bad when people ***** and moan about sliding, or snapping, this or that. Just work on them one at a time, game engines are more advanced than they have ever been you can solve most of the issues im sure.

The biggest issue you face is ballistics. No game has properly solved this. There are a few reasons, First is server tick rate. there is no engine with a 300 tick rate so you cant really model he projectile at 300 fps because the hit reg would be terrible. However, i think if you can get the trajectory mapped correctly it will be a much better game than DPB. DPB makes you aim so unrealistically high that it just feels wonky.

Playing a bunker tight, is another issue that plagues these games. One possible solution would be sort of a "sticky" zone when you are playing a bunker and then some premapped hitbox and model animations the player enters when in a bunker. Because when someone is playing most bunkers you dont need to side to side straff, your lean key should be your snap key and there should be a switch bunker side key where there is an animation lock out time where the player model switches hands and starts facing the other side of the bunker. Think of this liek how in counter strike or almost every other FPS game there is animation lockout times for switching weapons, its a balance penalty essentially. This will solve a couple problems, removing the need to strafe and having models lock into bunkers will allow them to play tight. Using the switch side animation lockout timer will keep the game realistic. Even the top pro players have a moment of delay when switching sides, without this the game will just be people poping out all over the place at a cartoonish speed.

Finally world view of seeing balls in flight. This is the single stupidest part of DBP. the other players should NOT be able to see every stream of paint on the field, it is absolutely NOT realistic. The result of this in DPB is the best players learn to play based off the paint streams, they dont need to peak for actual looks, they just shoot based off where all the other paint is coming from. Sound should be the only directional indicator, its the only way to balance this issue. There are times when you can see streams on a paintball field, but its is really not every stream all the time.

also price, i know steam takes a huge cut, especially with VAT taxes. i have moved about 10,000 units of an indie RPG on steam and i can tell you sometimes my cut of the sale is depressing. That being said i still think your price is high for a new title that is essentially early access. I would highly recommend a launch discount the get this game off the ground.

Last edited by Justin6547 : 07-29-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Justin6547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 PM #44
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
I react only as toxic as the creators of these games do. To say this is the most realistic game ever when it is essentially a $15 version of a 20 year old DPB game is obnoxious. Guys do games like this over the years and love to say how advanced and incredible the game is and it never is.
I'm not up selling the game at all. I never said it was the most realistic, I said I'm working hard to get it there. The only thing I did say was the most realistic was the paint deviation. I'm continuing to work on this game through its release. I'm in contact with real paintball companies, getting real products into the game. If you feel 13.99 is overpriced then that's totally fine. I feel its reasonable personally but it's only worth what people are willing to pay. Steam takes a massive 30% cut plus taxes also.
gourdefivetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:11 PM #45
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6547 View Post
Tweeter 4 is a complete idiot, ignore him.

This honestly looks great for where you are at, i have been following your progress on Instagram for awhile. I think ive played every paintball video game, i spent hours on dots xball and played all versions of dpb, even source for the 2 days it was active. NO paintball game has really solved all of the problems in one package, so dont feel bad when people ***** and moan about sliding, or snapping, this or that. Just work on them one at a time, game engines are more advanced than they have ever been you can solve most of the issues im sure.

The biggest issue you face is ballistics. No game has properly solved this. There are a few reasons, First is server tick rate. there is no engine with a 300 tick rate so you cant really model he projectile at 300 fps because the hit reg would be terrible. However, i think if you can get the trajectory mapped correctly it will be a much better game than DPB. DPB makes you aim so unrealistically high that it just feels wonky.

Playing a bunker tight, is another issue that plagues these games. One possible solution would be sort of a "sticky" zone when you are playing a bunker and then some premapped hitbox and model animations the player enters when in a bunker. Because when someone is playing most bunkers you dont need to side to side straff, your lean key should be your snap key and there should be a switch bunker side key where there is an animation lock out time where the player model switches hands and starts facing the other side of the bunker. Think of this liek how in counter strike or almost every other FPS game there is animation lockout times for switching weapons, its a balance penalty essentially. This will solve a couple problems, removing the need to strafe and having models lock into bunkers will allow them to play tight. Using the switch side animation lockout timer will keep the game realistic. Even the top pro players have a moment of delay when switching sides, without this the game will just be people poping out all over the place at a cartoonish speed.

Finally world view of seeing balls in flight. This is the single stupidest part of DBP. the other players should NOT be able to see every stream of paint on the field, it is absolutely NOT realistic. The result of this in DPB is the best players learn to play based off the paint streams, they dont need to peak for actual looks, they just shoot based off where all the other paint is coming from. Sound should be the only directional indicator, its the only way to balance this issue. There are times when you can see streams on a paintball field, but its is really not every stream all the time.

also price, i know steam takes a huge cut, especially with VAT taxes. i have moved about 10,000 units of an indie RPG on steam and i can tell you sometimes my cut of the sale is depressing. That being said i still think your price is high for a new title that is essentially early access. I would highly recommend a launch discount the get this game off the ground.
Thank you for the kind words and input. I think having a "stucky" zone in the bunkers for tighter play is a great idea, I'll definitely experiment. Diving, Sliding and crawling are coming, working out the mechanics for those still.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 PM #46
gourdefivetwo

Thanks for the kind words and input everyone. I am a one man team, I've done all the models, textures, audio, and programming myself (with the exception of a few bought store assets) This is my first real attempt at a video game, I've only messed around and taken computer programming classes in school. The game will continue to get better and better.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:34 PM #47
rygo6

Ragging on indie games for graphics is pretty dumb. I think it has just about the right amount of care put to the graphics. Perhaps a little too much. All those shiny PBR inflatable bunkers look nice on a technical level, but I assume most users will just turn off fancy shaders for more FPS. Especially if this is made in Unity? I assume it is Unity? As Unity tends to not be the most optimized for when you stack on all the fancy shaders right now.

Really what will make or break this is the networking. Which makes me wonder what route you went on that, because if this is Unity based, I personally have my doubts the networking will be as good as it needs to be. I've actually been thinking about making something like this myself, but have been holding off till Unity ships their new networking system because all the current options for networking are pretty dismal. That is the one thing about Digital Paintball and the gold source HL1 engine. HL1 was really the first engine to perfect net code, they had a very well tuned implementation of lag compensation and network prediction. Even to this day the Half-Life 1 netcode is better than most games I think. I actually don't think I've played a Unity game with better netcode than HL1, it tends to still be better than most games in any engine. Except for HL2 games of course, as the same netcode got carried on into HL2. DPB got to leverage a lot of that underlying netcode infrastructure in HL1 which is what I think really gave it a leg up, and still does.

Last edited by rygo6 : 07-30-2020 at 04:51 PM.
rygo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:47 PM #48
rygo6

Or actually just noticed in your video you had the stock UE4 player robot. So UE4 I assume? That is a better starting point for netcode, but still will be tricky. Dealing with that many flying projectiles in a networked game can be difficult. I remember it was one of the things that took DPB a long time to get correct, some clever tricks were used. But, good luck.
rygo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:22 AM #49
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygo6 View Post
Or actually just noticed in your video you had the stock UE4 player robot. So UE4 I assume? That is a better starting point for netcode, but still will be tricky. Dealing with that many flying projectiles in a networked game can be difficult. I remember it was one of the things that took DPB a long time to get correct, some clever tricks were used. But, good luck.
I chose that I never wanted to learn Unity. I've had lots of performance issues in the past with Unity games, good examples are rust and the forest. Not graphically insane but super demanding somehow. The UE4 mannequin will be replaced, I have an outside hire lined up to model player characters but it's gonna be spendy. Infinite runs pretty good on even some normal PC's. The networking has gone well so far, had to play with speeds and the tick rate a bit but it's in a pretty good spot. I've had 8 people on at once with no visible performance difference than if you were just playing with one other person.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:21 PM #50
lawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourdefivetwo View Post
Don't know what I said wrong, DPB is dated and Infinite features post processing, anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering, motion blur, shadow quality, fov change, controller compatible etc. And paint stream wonky? It's the most realistic in any PB game so far. DPB is probably the worst with that but this isn't a DPB slam.

There's many clips on my instagram @infinitepaintballgame

There's no layout editor currently. All fields are pro replicas minus the hyperball and woodsball.

There's no buy menu. It's set up much like DPB.

I've spent a lot of time making sure players when snapping and crouching are in realistic positions. For example the snapping, if you can see them they can see you. If you pop out a little they only see you a little.

Lastly, it's easy to say "anyone can make ( )." It's just showcasing what the play style is like.
lmao whatever dude. with the type of attitude you have, your **** is going to go no where.

Quote:
I react only as toxic as the creators of these games do. To say this is the most realistic game ever when it is essentially a $15 version of a 20 year old DPB game is obnoxious. Guys do games like this over the years and love to say how advanced and incredible the game is and it never is.
^^
this guy knows what's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygo6 View Post
Ragging on indie games for graphics is pretty dumb..
plz quote someone "ragging" on him. its an open discussion on a public forum for a thread HE created. if he can't handle people talking openly about his product, the negative and the positive, then he shouldn't post.

on top of that, he shouldn't have a snarky 17 year old know it all attitude to criticism. no one said anything mean or with ill intent.

or are people only allowed to say "LOOKS GOOD MAN" even though, realistically it looks like a game that would've came out over 10 years ago?

there's a reason DPB is the only active paintball game lmao, even the ****tier "redux" version is still playable.

Last edited by lawf : 07-31-2020 at 07:24 PM.
lawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 PM #51
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawf View Post
lmao whatever dude. with the type of attitude you have, your **** is going to go no where.

^^

plz quote someone "ragging" on him. its an open discussion on a public forum for a thread HE created. if he can't handle people talking openly about his product, the negative and the positive, then he shouldn't post.

on top of that, he shouldn't have a snarky 17 year old know it all attitude to criticism. no one said anything mean or with ill intent.

or are people only allowed to say "LOOKS GOOD MAN" even though, realistically it looks like a game that would've came out over 10 years ago?

there's a reason DPB is the only active paintball game lmao, even the ****tier "redux" version is still playable.
Again, never said anything disrespectful or hateful. I answered your questions
Old 07-31-2020, 09:03 PM #52
gourdefivetwo

Just a little progress update for everyone. I've added a slide function and it works great (In my opinion of course.) I've also added a few new guns with more to come.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 AM #53
zach peterson

Quote:

^^

all you do is talk **** man lmao
zach peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:30 PM #54
jonotwist
Needs more Enthusiasm!

jonotwist is playing at Living Legends X
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Cmon man, I get its your game but you are really going to make statements like that when you have games made 10 years ago that look better and are much more realistic with multi million dollar revenues like the GHTP series, and even the lesser NPPL games?
pretty sure ghtp was pieced together by fullsail VG and graphics students.

"Sometimes it's not whether you win or lose.
Sometimes it's how many pages you can add to the rulebook."
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 AM #55
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonotwist View Post
pretty sure ghtp was pieced together by fullsail VG and graphics students.
The first game was but that is the case for most games, the sequels (2+3) were developed by major players in the video game industry.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:37 PM #56
niiru
East Koast Kid

I played it for 14 minutes and had to get a refund.
There are just WAY too many glitches in the game and the server wouldn't even run properly without glitching the entire time. Sorry man. This needs a lot more work before it will be worth it to play for me.
niiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:39 AM #57
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiru View Post
There are just WAY too many glitches in the game and the server wouldn't even run properly without glitching the entire time. Sorry man. This needs a lot more work before it will be worth it to play for me.
I'm aware of the stuttering. I'm working hard to fix it. Hope to see your return in the future
Old 08-05-2020, 06:14 AM #58
lawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach peterson View Post
all you do is talk **** man lmao
sorry you're used to people coddling you and never hitting you with the truth. the truth hurts, i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiru View Post
oof
Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 AM #59
zach peterson

Quote:
sorry you're used to people coddling you and never hitting you with the truth. the truth hurts, i know.

oof
you also like to brag about how you used to play 15 years ago like anyone cares lol but hey go off man
zach peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:42 AM #60
Bargainz

You seem talented. Man if i were you, i'd spend your time on something more worthwhile and monetarily beneficial. The paintball demographic is pretty narrow
Bargainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 AM #61
Joshisanalligator
alligator catcher

plays in the NXL
Joshisanalligator owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargainz View Post
You seem talented. Man if i were you, i'd spend your time on something more worthwhile and monetarily beneficial. The paintball demographic is pretty narrow
To him this was clearly worthwhile
Joshisanalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:54 PM #62
gourdefivetwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargainz View Post
Yeah, I know there's not a massive market for paintball games. I have a couple side projects tailoring more towards the Indie Horror and Platformer style. Just concepts at this point but who knows what's next for me. I appreciate the kind words though!
Old 08-06-2020, 06:14 AM #63
lawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach peterson View Post
you also like to brag about how you used to play 15 years ago like anyone cares lol but hey go off man
lmao who even are you? i literally never talk about playing. i mentioned winning 10man Vegas last year like twice, but I think winning playing your first tournament in 12 years and winning is a pretty cool thing

You wouldn't know anything about that tho...
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.