Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 PM #1
COjosh
Hate-Kill-Destroy

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
COjosh plays in the APPA D3 division
Lightbulb Carbon SC bottoms vs every other knee pad

Hey Nation,

Need some honest feedback from people that have worn and used the Carbon SC compression bottoms w/ integrated knee pads.

I have awful knees, arthritis and a meniscus issue in the left knee. I'm 40 and still find myself playing the 1 in the snake and doritos all the time. The bottom line is that my knees suck and I need something that will protect them better than my busted-*** Eclipse pads.

Are the SC compression pants worth the money? Are they supposed to be used in conjunction with conventional knee pads, or can the integrated knees replace regular pads?

My biggest issue is the sides of my knees getting beat to **** from lateral slides. I have yet to find a pair of knee pads that adequately protect that area of the knee. The GI Race 2.0 knee pads look like they might offer that, but I've never seen them in person. The Bunkerkings Supreme knee pads look cushy but, again, I've never seen them in person to know if they're a good solution.

Some real-world advice would be appreciated.

-Josh
!! Free-Flow Millennium Minicocker !!
COjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 AM #2
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

I love my SC. The cushioning is better than any other paintball knee pad I have worn while being thinner, and the best part, they stay in place.

That being said, lateral means you are looking for protection on the side of the knee/leg, yes? There is none. My only gripe with the design is the cushioning does not wrap around the side as much as other pads.

Only issue I had was having a seam tear after awhile. But I think that was partially my fault for not having them pulled up over my knee high enough one day.

I very much doubt another set of knee pads would stay in place on top of them based on the material.

If you can find your size during a sale, I would still recommend trying them out.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:06 PM #3
COjosh
Hate-Kill-Destroy

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
I love my SC. The cushioning is better than any other paintball knee pad I have worn while being thinner, and the best part, they stay in place.

That being said, lateral means you are looking for protection on the side of the knee/leg, yes? There is none. My only gripe with the design is the cushioning does not wrap around the side as much as other pads.

Only issue I had was having a seam tear after awhile. But I think that was partially my fault for not having them pulled up over my knee high enough one day.

I very much doubt another set of knee pads would stay in place on top of them based on the material.

If you can find your size during a sale, I would still recommend trying them out.
Awesome, appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, I guess what I'm looking for most is the protection on the sides of the knee as opposed to directly in front. All pads seem to do an OK job of protecting that area.

The GI 2.0's seem like they have some on the sides, and the BK Supreme's also appear that way. I really like Carbon's stuff, but I'm not going that route if it won't protect the way that I need it to.

A few years ago my knees were still pretty compliant. But now it's literally days before the pain subsides from beating the hell out of them.

Thanks Bruh
Old 06-05-2020, 02:48 PM #4
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

I picked up the BK fly pads after my Carbon's ripped. Only played in them a couple times but I like them and they do seem to wrap around the sides a bit more than most. Just not sure of the staying power.

It looks like the Supreme may be more for you.

The SC, Supreme, and GI 2.0 are available on Amazon. You could at least wear them around the house and return.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 PM #5
shockler

shockler is a founding member
Bad knees? Want more cushion and knee support? Try the dye knee pads. Their great for bad knees. You really notice a difference.
I have used them for years but switched to the carbon cc knee pads because my knees sweat to bad in the dye pads. They lack in breath ability. The virtue and bunker kings look like they would work well but I have no experience with them.

http://www.sacpaintball.com/forums/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=11305
shockler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:12 PM #6
Blackrain7557
Most negative person ever

Blackrain7557 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Infamous has something similar to the Carbon stuff, and they advertise that their kneepads can be worn over their slide pants. May be something to look into.

The virtue pads are good enough, though I have knee issues as well, from the military, and the only thing that's truly helped has been Physical Therapy.
Blackrain7557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 AM #7
shockler

shockler is a founding member
I think the reason the dye knee pads work well for bad knees is their thick and pretty tight. This is just my experience. Don’t think due really markets this.

http://www.sacpaintball.com/forums/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=11305
shockler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:02 AM #8
Mr. Charlie
Scales CS1, M2, & M3s+

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
I think the thread should be Volleyball Knee Pads vs any Paintball Knee Pads.

Volleyball knee pads are basically the same as some Paintball pads but are cheaper. They will be just as good underneath your Pants...
Old 06-08-2020, 12:01 PM #9
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
I think the thread should be Volleyball Knee Pads vs any Paintball Knee Pads.

Volleyball knee pads are basically the same as some Paintball pads but are cheaper. They will be just as good underneath your Pants...
I wore Asics Slider V for a couple years. Love the price point. Super comfy and protective. Still had issues with the sliding down though especially after wearing them for a year.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM #10
cellophane303

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by COjosh View Post
Yeah, I guess what I'm looking for most is the protection on the sides of the knee as opposed to directly in front. All pads seem to do an OK job of protecting that area.

The GI 2.0's seem like they have some on the sides, and the BK Supreme's also appear that way. I really like Carbon's stuff, but I'm not going that route if it won't protect the way that I need it to.
I have the Carbon CC Knee Pads (not the compression pants) and the GI pads, and both are good. The GI pads are a bit bigger than everything else but seem to have plenty of lateral support. The Carbon pads are my favorite pads to-date. They are built a lot like the off-the-shelf knee braces you can buy. Not quite as much lateral support but still pretty good. They are also super comfortable.

As mentioned Volleyball pads can be good, and you might also take a look at the stuff McDavid makes.

If your location of So Hi O is southern Ohio, I'm in Louisville and would be happy to loan you the GI pads for a day if you are able to make it down to Asylum.
cellophane303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:43 PM #11
COjosh
Hate-Kill-Destroy

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane303 View Post
I have the Carbon CC Knee Pads (not the compression pants) and the GI pads, and both are good. The GI pads are a bit bigger than everything else but seem to have plenty of lateral support. The Carbon pads are my favorite pads to-date. They are built a lot like the off-the-shelf knee braces you can buy. Not quite as much lateral support but still pretty good. They are also super comfortable.

As mentioned Volleyball pads can be good, and you might also take a look at the stuff McDavid makes.

If your location of So Hi O is southern Ohio, I'm in Louisville and would be happy to loan you the GI pads for a day if you are able to make it down to Asylum.
Thanks Bruh. Old tag in sig, not in So Hi O anymore, been down to Asylum plenty of times so I'm sure we've crossed paths and/or streams a few times.

I had a chance to check out a teammates Carbon SC's and they definitely won't work for the issues I have. Carbon's stuff is fantastic just not functional for my needs. I've tried volleyball pads and they move too much, same for the McDavid multi-sport padding.

I had Dye pads way back in the day, I'll probably check them out again. Looks like they have a strap now which is cool. Last time I was at the shop they didn't have any in my size.... I may just hold out for the GI's though.

Thanks friends!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 AM #12
cellophane303

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by COjosh View Post
Thanks Bruh. Old tag in sig, not in So Hi O anymore, been down to Asylum plenty of times so I'm sure we've crossed paths and/or streams a few times.

I had a chance to check out a teammates Carbon SC's and they definitely won't work for the issues I have. Carbon's stuff is fantastic just not functional for my needs. I've tried volleyball pads and they move too much, same for the McDavid multi-sport padding.

I had Dye pads way back in the day, I'll probably check them out again. Looks like they have a strap now which is cool. Last time I was at the shop they didn't have any in my size.... I may just hold out for the GI's though.

Did you look at the SC bottoms or the CC pads? the CC pads are an actual knee pad.

The McDavid Hex pads aren't any good for paintball (imo) but something like this one might help out. Looks like it has some knee padding and bracing on the sides.

If it helps at all:

I wrote this up in another thread if it helps:

Quote:
I had a pair of the latest Dye knee pads and really liked the pads but hated how they fit. Didn't stay in place well and the calf was super tight - I would have a bruise in the shape of the bottom elastic around my calf after I wore them. The Dye stuff also seems to take forever to break in.

Have a pair of the Empire NeoSkin slider/knee pads (similar to the carbon bottom layer) and liked them except for the fact they were a little too short and the knee pads tended to slide up. If they were a couple inches longer they would have been great. I've heard great things about the Carbon base layer but have never worn them. For reference, I'm about 6-4 / 220 (34" inseam)

I have a set of the GI Race knee pads and generally like them. Comfortable, stay where they should for the most part, and lots of padding. Some of the padding can also be removed to minimize it if you wanted. Downside is they are really big (i.e. hot) compared to all of the other pads. Great for playing in the woods though. I probably spent 30 minutes in the shop trying on different pads before settling on these when I bought them and preferred them to the Empire and Exalt models that were available.

I've been using the Carbon pads the last couple weeks. Super super comfortable, good padding, really light weight, and super comfortable. I do wish the padding was a little wider and that the velcro strap on the top could get a little tighter, but overall they are my new favorite pads.

For non-paintball specific pads, I've found sliders (Mizuno makes good ones) and volleyball pads to be a great way to go. They are cheap and easy to pick up just about anywhere. I've seen a couple people at my local field sporting these, and they are great for construction knee pads, unless you really need a hard surface for some reason
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM #13
COjosh
Hate-Kill-Destroy

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane303 View Post

Did you look at the SC bottoms or the CC pads? the CC pads are an actual knee pad.

The McDavid Hex pads aren't any good for paintball (imo) but something like this one might help out. Looks like it has some knee padding and bracing on the sides.

If it helps at all:

I wrote this up in another thread if it helps:
For me, it's not so much a lateral "bracing" issue, it's a padding problem. Hardly anything that I've seen (the exception being the BK and GI pads) have padding on the sides of the knees. What I mean by that is NOT around the sides of the kneecap (all pads have that), it's further around the knee itself to the outsides of the joint itself. That's what I'm beating up.

The Carbon SC bottoms definitely do NOT have what I'm looking for, and the CC knee pads look great but appear to lack the "side" padding I'm looking for.

Good looking on the strap issue with the Dye pads though. I've got fat-*** calves so I definitely don't want a pad that's going to eat the top of my calf.

The GI's and BK's are looking more and more like the way to go.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 PM #14
cellophane303

Annual Supporting Member
yeah- the Carbon knee pads don't have anything on the sides. I can vouch for the GI pads, even though I prefer the Carbon overall.

If you haven't seen it yet, PBRML did a review of the GI pads.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:29 PM #15
Mike820

Mike820 is playing at Living Legends X
Mike820 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mike820 is an NCPA player
Mike820 supports Ninja Paintball
I know I can personally vouch for the Carbon bottoms. Though for added protection on the sides, I think you might wanna try something else, as the carbon pads really mostly cover the front. Mainly why I use the carbons plus a good pair of pants with pads
Mike820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:03 PM #16
damageprose

damageprose owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
damageprose has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
damageprose has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
As someone with bad knees, I used to use the Exalt FreeFlex knee pads but they were much too thin (similar, I believe, to the Carbon, Infamous, etc. knee pads). Now I use the PE Overload knee pads. They're big but it's worth it for the protection.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:02 PM #17
Lawdawg567

Anybody try goalie pants? Just saw that these were a thing on Amazon and they have integrated knee and hip pads into compression pants. Some where as cheap as $20. I’ve banged the side of my knee on hard *** turf before and so I know how OP feels.
Lawdawg567 is offline   Reply With Quote