How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyMike01 View Post
Tungsten Disulfide is an industrial dry lubricant that is typically used on fasteners and in the production of powder metal molded products. It is stable at pretty high temperatures (around 1250C).

But honestly, I'm not sure of the benefits in this application. It seems to me that if tungsten disulfide is a viable coating, why wouldn't something like a graphite coating work?
The coating is way, way un-needed in the application of paintball. TD tends to be used in a manufacturing setting in high wear items, and it basically just extends their usable life. With something like paintball engines, where the main wear surfaces are all touching buna/poly orings, the concern for wear on aluminum components is so incredible small, that this essentially is addressing a problem that doesn't exist. An anodized aluminum bolt could be well used into the multi-million cycle range without any major concern of failure due to wear, and the low friction thing really isn't that much of a benefit considering polishing will have a similar effect in terms of operating pressure.

There is only so much inherent value in lowering operating pressure anymore as well. 15 years ago? Sure the lower you can get it the better, but not everything is so finely tuned and reduced to a point that going lower on the operating PSI doesn't really matter all that much anymore. Efficiency isn't an issue, paint is already as brittle as it can get at the top divisions so no need to get it lower to shoot more brittle paint, and recoil is almost non-existent to where lower OP wouldn't really make much of a difference.

I guess we will see, but until they provide solid, defensible data on why is it X% better at XYZ than standard polished aluminum, Im chalking it up as marketing babble.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2020, 02:28 PM #23
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Before DLX introduced the ICE coating, we were getting along just fine in the paintball world with attention given to surface roughness and anodizing type and quality. Go look at a Dye or PE bolt component.

What issues does this coating solve?

Given that the new Luxes use a Gamma copy, FSDO isn't an issue due to the high shift forces in that kind of design. The only other reason you'd go to this length/cost is to reduce seal wear. Is that really an issue? No.

So....does it provide the perception of innovation? Cost justification is a tough game in paintball, I get it. And when there's a lack of true meat & potatoes innovation going on, you've got to give it something to market. The average paintballer loves that stuff and buys into it, substance or not.

It's akin to operating pressure. All operating pressure is, is a reflection of volume. Manufacturers market operating pressure like it really matters, but all DLX had to do to drop the OP of the new Luxe is give it a little more volume. Pounds per square inch. More square inches = less pressure, all else being equal. But hey, let's market it like it took a whole bunch of work, is a brand new feature, and makes all the difference in the world with how the marker shoots and feels.

This probably dates me but I built my own bolt kit for an SFT shocker as a senior design project in college. It was a fun little project to work on and I learned a lot working with a couple professors who specialized in compressed air systems. When it comes to paintball you have to figure out the amount of energy it takes to accelerate a paintball from 0-300 fps taking into account frictional losses in the barrel and that is more or less constant. The gun needs to build up potential energy and turn it into kinetic energy with the compressed air. The secret sauce is volume of air and pressure of that air you hit the ball with. There's only so many ways to skin that cat. All these coatings and elastomers and bolts are is marketing fluff. Those guys are chasing small tenths of a percent improvement when it comes to frictional losses. Now what they're doing might be better, but it's probably 1% better. I don't see bolts getting much better at this point, innovation is going to come from making things tool-less for cleaning and maintenance at this point.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:42 PM #24
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Lets not forget that Luxe was having a big issue with the ICE coating and bolt wear when the Luxe X launched due to the detent system. This caused them a lot of issues and they revised their detents at least 4 times. This coating should ... should allow them to get away with harder detents without any noticeable wear on the bolt.

Did the bolt wear cause an issue? it did cause leaking for some, but overall, no, it was just cosmetic. But it was still something that they must have felt they needed to correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
This probably dates me but I built my own bolt kit for an SFT shocker as a senior design project in college. It was a fun little project to work on and I learned a lot working with a couple professors who specialized in compressed air systems. When it comes to paintball you have to figure out the amount of energy it takes to accelerate a paintball from 0-300 fps taking into account frictional losses in the barrel and that is more or less constant. The gun needs to build up potential energy and turn it into kinetic energy with the compressed air. The secret sauce is volume of air and pressure of that air you hit the ball with. There's only so many ways to skin that cat. All these coatings and elastomers and bolts are is marketing fluff. Those guys are chasing small tenths of a percent improvement when it comes to frictional losses. Now what they're doing might be better, but it's probably 1% better. I don't see bolts getting much better at this point, innovation is going to come from making things tool-less for cleaning and maintenance at this point.
I tend to disagree, I think there is a lot of room in the bolt and engine area left to be explored. It will come from companies that still want to push the boundaries of design and efficiency ... new valves, new way fo operating and channeling the air flow.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Last edited by Big Papa Pink : 11-09-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:22 PM #25
SparkyMike01

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Before DLX introduced the ICE coating, we were getting along just fine in the paintball world with attention given to surface roughness and anodizing type and quality. Go look at a Dye or PE bolt component.

What issues does this coating solve?

Given that the new Luxes use a Gamma copy, FSDO isn't an issue due to the high shift forces in that kind of design. The only other reason you'd go to this length/cost is to reduce seal wear. Is that really an issue? No.

So....does it provide the perception of innovation? Cost justification is a tough game in paintball, I get it. And when there's a lack of true meat & potatoes innovation going on, you've got to give it something to market. The average paintballer loves that stuff and buys into it, substance or not.

It's akin to operating pressure. All operating pressure is, is a reflection of volume. Manufacturers market operating pressure like it really matters, but all DLX had to do to drop the OP of the new Luxe is give it a little more volume. Pounds per square inch. More square inches = less pressure, all else being equal. But hey, let's market it like it took a whole bunch of work, is a brand new feature, and makes all the difference in the world with how the marker shoots and feels.
I am definitely not advocating for the use of a tungsten disulfide coating. And I am no chemical engineer, so it would be impossible for me to speak to the actual benefits of it. But, it does seem rather more of a marketing strategy.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:15 PM #26
maninblack2k

Annual Supporting Member
maninblack2k owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
maninblack2k supports our troops
maninblack2k supports DLX Technology
Seems like a reasonable amount of innovation. Price point is high but the amount of work that goes into this project is high as well and these will be a true custom that would last a person a lifetime of play with maintenance. Lower operating pressure is always nice.

The nice thing about their approach is they could be platform agnostic and apply that to any products they could have a partnership on with other vendors. Now reason not to do an Axe, or Geo4, etc.
Old Luxes - DLX Luxe #973, #2244, #847, #2067, #5806, #xxx, OLED11082, Luxe ICE #15077, Luxe X X-0233
New Luxe: Virtue Luxe Ace
Stockholm Joy Fan Club fan #500
maninblack2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:59 PM #27
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox

ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
I tend to disagree, I think there is a lot of room in the bolt and engine area left to be explored. It will come from companies that still want to push the boundaries of design and efficiency ... new valves, new way fo operating and channeling the air flow.
I also think there's a lot of room for new engines. In fact, many of them could be mule'd in existing bodies. I may or may not have a stash of other options.

Frmr pntbl ngnr [/crbnspk]
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:46 PM #28
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
I also think there's a lot of room for new engines. In fact, many of them could be mule'd in existing bodies. I may or may not have a stash of other options.
There needs to be an entirely new concept introduced I think, groundbreaking and wild in the way the ICE Epic or the Omen was in terms of its base design principle. No more of this thing of just building a spool or a poppet design. Someone needs to do something wildly new and out of left field that actually changes and offers something entirely new in the way of shooting a gelatin ball.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:50 PM #29
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
I just want the mech version of this. Props to Adrenaline for another stunning release.
-KC Crusaders [ woodsball and speedball ]

2020 Setup:
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 3 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-Gtek M170R, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Dye R2 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ woodsball ]
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:06 PM #30
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

Annual Supporting Member
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Time to get consulting so we can see the entire industry shift to another design.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:02 PM #31
paintballcapt062
Dr. Logic

plays in the NXL
paintballcapt062 plays in the MiLP
paintballcapt062 plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballcapt062 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJoker View Post
Time to get consulting so we can see the entire industry shift to another design.
Irony has had his hand in many design platforms that many people are using now.

The issue with the ICE coating makes me think that Adrenaline is taking this to the next step. I have an axe that has wear on the bolt stem, I have had other markers wear on the stems. While not the highest end markers, this wear occurs and if we can prevent it from multiple wear points, then the overall user experience increases.

I think this is the aim of the Adrenaline lines. As such, they are producing the Lambo or Ferrari of the paintball world. Thus, their touches will be designed to give us comfort and reliability of owning such a high end marker.
SUPPORTED BY: Nitro Paintball Virtue Paintball
#1 In the Timmy Propst Fan Club
paintballcapt062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 PM #32
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
The problem is that these coatings are historically not as scratch-resistant as a good old fashioned hard anno (speaking in regards to the ICE). In the case of the Luxe X, the bolt coating was getting chewed up by the detents in that marker's early release. If the bolt gets chewed up or badly scratched, you are going to cause more o-ring wear and the potential for leaks. You also don't really need the benefits of added slickness with a Gamma Core based design as it already has a large amount of force behind the bolt's movement.

Not knocking it yet as time will tell how it performs, but I would speculate the better strategy is to just use a hard anno'd bolt with a quality lubricant and reasonably disciplined maintenance routine.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 11-09-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:01 PM #33
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
It’s gonna be interesting then I guess to see how this new coating does. Will it wear out due to ball detents or have some defect, or will it prove to be a good decision on Adrenaline’s part? Besides the coating though, what else can we nitpick?