How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebone View Post
1 paint from a company which once had a full line of jersey, pants, gloves, low and high end markers, accessories for every mainstream gun like bolts, triggers, regs, Rams, grips, feednecks, barrels, and street wear hardly counts as maintaining a brand.
Besides, the paint is now called Empire Evil,
it’s not even an evil product anymore....

And 1 model of 1 loader isn’t really a brand either. Halo used to have several loader offerings, in addition to sponsoring teams, and having an enormous aftermarket accessories scene for their products. Now it’s just the 1 thing.
Thats a little excessive of an expectation to think they would still have all that. That brand were all long dead before GI got the IP/assets/name, with the only useful item being the name to the paint.

Its not like any of those products would still exist today either considering the aftermarket parts market is all but dead. Their clothing never sold well either and their markers were a catastrophe. Even at the peak, no one at any fields shot Pimps or Omenz.

It is a little naive to look at these old brands and say GI killed them. Obviously if there were a market for poorly built mid-end loaders like the TSA, or low quality aftermarket parts like the Detonator, those items would still be in the marketplace.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2020, 08:18 AM #44
white trash
celticradio.net

who "owns" gi sportz?

how many lowes could rob lowe rob if rob lowe could rob lowes?

the American Medical Association and the National Teachers Federation have both concluded that the democratic party is the leading cause of stupidity
https://www.pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=396
white trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 AM #45
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by white trash View Post
who "owns" gi sportz?
Uhhh did you read any of this thread?
...Fulcrum Capital
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM #46
Drizzy Drake Rogers
Legends never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post
Quote:
who "owns" gi sportz?
Uhhh did you read any of this thread?
...Fulcrum Capital
That’s not really an answer smartass. Fulcrum only “owns” GI because they bought the debt and then called it a few days after. I’m sure he wants to know the people behind GI, as in the industry folks, not some private equity firm.
Drizzy Drake Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:05 AM #47
$balla
[b]anned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsNightmare View Post
I'm hoping JT gets picked up by somebody. The new resurgence of the proflex and soft goods have really taken off.
Same bro. Kind of hoping Todd/Raza picks them up. It would be cool to see what they'd do with the brand.
$balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:19 AM #48
Rob.Phifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy Drake Rogers View Post
Thatís not really an answer smartass. Fulcrum only ďownsĒ GI because they bought the debt and then called it a few days after. Iím sure he wants to know the people behind GI, as in the industry folks, not some private equity firm.
Hasn't Fulcrum Capital owned GI Sportz for years now?
Rob.Phifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 AM #49
painter4life05
cixelsyd

painter4life05 supports Cereal Killerz 2
painter4life05 donated to help Peyton Trent
painter4life05 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.Phifer View Post
Hasn't Fulcrum Capital owned GI Sportz for years now?
I think it was only a minority ownership

PUMP OT B.Y.O.L.B.

OG Feedback 45+
painter4life05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:57 AM #50
going_home
Hebrews 13:8

Annual Supporting Member
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Remember Smart Parts ?

With patent trolls what goes around comes around...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Mao Zedong
going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM #51
Spikerz

Annual Supporting Member
Spikerz owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Spikerz supports Ninja Paintball
Spikerz owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Fulcrum invested 14m I think in them years ago.
https://fulcrumcapital.ca/investments/gi-group

Can't find the actual investment number but somewhere between 14-19 million seems familiar.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:42 PM #52
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyV View Post
20-12609-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and Tippmann US Holdco Inc. 10/16/2020 Sontchi
20-12610-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and G.I. Sportz Inc. 10/16/2020 Sontchi
20-12611-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and GI Sportz Direct LLC 10/16/2020 Sontchi
20-12612-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and Tippmann Sports, LLC 10/16/2020 Sontchi
20-12613-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and Mission Less Lethal LLC 10/16/2020 Sontchi
20-12614-CSS 15 KSV Restructuring Inc. and Tippmann Finance LLC 10/16/2020 Sontchi

These are the Delaware Chapter 15 filings. PACER anyone?
I used to have a PACER login, haven't used it in years. Wonder if it still works...
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:02 PM #53
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by $balla View Post
Same bro. Kind of hoping Todd/Raza picks them up. It would be cool to see what they'd do with the brand.
I donít think thatís as great as it sounds. I tried for 3 or 4 months to get Wepnz/Raza to get me a quote on some jerseys before I gave up and got ahold of Dresser. We talked about what I wanted and had an order in about a week later. If he had the cash or could secure the capital Iíd rather see somebody like that take JT over.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:38 PM #54
TreyV
Reality based citizen.

Annual Supporting Member
TreyV is a Supporting Member
TreyV is a founding member
TreyV is BST Legit
TreyV supports Team VICIOUS
TreyV is Boss
TreyV supports Ninja Paintball
I'm still trying to guess how they racked up $45M in losses in 7 quarters.

Last edited by TreyV : 10-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.
TreyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:58 PM #55
RFP Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Shooter View Post
GI Sportz did what any other company would have done. If you think PE, DYE, INCEPTION, etc wouldn't do the same, then you are sadly mistaken.
Horse ****. How many frivolous lawsuits have these companies launched? Plus, there was a time when paintball was much more cooperative in spirit. Have you ever heard of Tom Kaye?
RFP Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM #56
North Shore Shooter

Horse ****. How many frivolous lawsuits have these companies launched? Plus, there was a time when paintball was much more cooperative in spirit. Have you ever heard of Tom Kaye?[/quote]
Ever hear of a thing called Business?
Cause 10-20 years ago to now is completely different. Companies today are more Business oriented than before. And they have to, because im sure they all have some sort of investors that want to see some profit.
North Shore Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:25 PM #57
white trash
celticradio.net

Guess what I'm getting at is who was the original owner GI Sportz?
I am at a loss to remember who fits in where as far as ownership and playing such as that
I remember certain Canadian who possibly was involved and it's funny because all of a sudden he is in investment groups spending tons of money in fact his group recently purchased part of Remington Arms

the American Medical Association and the National Teachers Federation have both concluded that the democratic party is the leading cause of stupidity
Old 10-17-2020, 02:57 PM #58
going_home

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Guess what I'm getting at is who was the original owner GI Sportz?
I am at a loss to remember who fits in where as far as ownership and playing such as that
I remember certain Canadian who possibly was involved and it's funny because all of a sudden he is in investment groups spending tons of money in fact his group recently purchased part of Remington Arms
Richmond Italia

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM #59
white trash
celticradio.net

and Italia is managing partner of the roundhill group, that just very recently purchased Remington arms in nys , a company which another business associate of his was running

Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 PM #60
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP Professor View Post
Horse <del>****</del>. How many frivolous lawsuits have these companies launched? Plus, there was a time when paintball was much more cooperative in spirit. Have you ever heard of Tom Kaye?
Frivolous is a matter of perspective in most cases. When a person or company owns a patent or an intellectual property, and someone infringes on it, you can either defend your property or let EVERYONE copy it going forward with no recourse.

The one recent lawsuit I saw out of GI that really seemed questionable was the goggle one. I'm sure that made sense from GI's perspective. From this viewpoint, it was a lash-out see if it sticks move. The hopper one was far more valid.

And the Godfathers of Paintball defended their property hard, too. They'd license their property out (the Armson Semi was a pretty close copy of the AutoMag, as was the Perentie Badger), or start with cease and desist letters (Worr Games to Action Markers comes to mind, although that was done under K2's ownership). When one doesn't defend their properties through legal means, it can get copied, and someone else winds up with all the profits from your innovation or investment. Glenn Palmer might have had things to say about that.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:33 PM #61
going_home

Annual Supporting Member
Lets not forget the "your paint looks like mine, kinda sorta" lawsuits against Valken and APX....

GI was just Smart Parts 2.0

Old 10-17-2020, 05:49 PM #62
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Ah, forgot about the Marblizer one. Yeah, there's only so much that can be done with paintball shells.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:26 PM #63
jerryjjackson69

jerryjjackson69 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
jerryjjackson69 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
jerryjjackson69 owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
The Marballizer lawsuit had already happened once between KEE and Valken and got minimal attention and was settled in KEE's favor without much notice from the community. After GI acquired KEE, Valken went for it again and GI started with a cease and desist. Valken didn't stop, so GI sued again with favorable precedence from the KEE lawsuit, pretty much a guaranteed win. Valken just played their cards right with social media and the community and came out looking like the sympathetic victim from the big bad GI bully. I actually don't remember how that lawsuit panned out, didn't Valken actually some out on top in the court? I think graffiti has a full shell swirl to this day.

The paint in question was coming from the South Korea factory that has always made Graffiti, that same factory was temporarily contracted to produce Marbs after the GI acquisition of KEE when the Canadian KEE paint factories were shut down and the GI factory tried to shoulder all the production and wasn't able to keep up. During this time, Marbs came in the "square" graffiti box with the signature silica packets (and the box said made in Korea). Valken also accused GI of hurting the quality of their Valken paint by instructing the factory to add more starch to the mix making the paint tougher and bouncier, but saving GI money in materials. Ironically, all of the Korean Marbs were too fragile, lots of broken paint in shipping and in markers, loaders, and pods. The Graffiti from the same time was still on the tough side and bounced a lot and left larger bruises.

I would really appreicate it if Slowiak would swing by and correct any inaccuracies in my information. Some of it I know to be factual, some of it I "remember" it being factual, but I can't recall why I know it to be factual.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.