Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do you think there will there be a 2020 NXL Paintball World Cup?
yes 36 8.33%
yes, but limited in some way 123 28.47%
no 273 63.19%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

ReplyNews Ups

Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 PM #85
yeahthatsme
Do Work Son

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
yeahthatsme plays in the APPA beginner division
yeahthatsme supports Ninja Paintball
They could definitely pull off a pro only event, though depending on how things are going at that time there's still risk with traveling on top of the gathering. I'm not sure we should want a world cup at this point, if cases are still high it seems immoral to ask teams to travel.

Broseidon, King of the Brocean
yeahthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2020, 10:51 PM #86
Nor Cal Shocker
I really don't care....

Nor Cal Shocker is a Supporting Member
Can we just cut the $%i+ out and stay on topic with the poll & question?

We have enough BS in the news, social media & every other outlet on the planet, so please, let's stick to Paintball & the questions at hand.

If I offended anyone by my above comment & suggestion, I really don't care.

Cheers - NCS
Nor Cal Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:08 AM #87
turmoil
that's the bottom line

turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
turmoil is Legendary
turmoil is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Now - is Florida a hot spot? or just bad data points? Hopefully by early October we'll start to get a better read of the situation in Florida.
I think another issue is a lot of people that travel to Cup book flights/hotels/etc. much earlier than October. If they wait that long to announce whether the event will happen or not, I think that alone would have an impact on attendance.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:57 AM #88
FreakinJB

^^ Exactly. The stereotypical "Florida Man" conspiracy theorists aside, this thread is asking whether we think WC will happen. The two reasons I don't think it will are 1) Do pros want to play WC 2020? and 2) logistics.

NXL needs entry fees to pay expenses so if it's up to them, "World cup will happen in some shape or form" until the day it doesn't. My biggest concern is NXL's viability moving forward and their ability to survive while doing the right thing - not whether there's a 2020 WC. Good luck Tom, we know you care and that you're in a tough spot.

Why play? - almost all pro players are still paying to play, or sacrificing more than they gain to play. It's naive to think that EVERY PRO is still in a financially viable position and is willing to throw caution to the wind just so they can say they played World Cup 2020. No-show teams, skeleton squads, you get the picture.

Logistics - teams should have travel and lodging set by now and I can't imagine any of them do. Winning this World Cup would come with an asterisk and I haven't seen any pros in here pushing hard to play. Flights are non-refundable and who knows what the Airbnb/hotel situation there is like.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:15 PM #89
painter4life05
cixelsyd

painter4life05 supports Cereal Killerz 2
painter4life05 donated to help Peyton Trent
painter4life05 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinJB View Post
^^ Exactly. The stereotypical "Florida Man" conspiracy theorists aside, this thread is asking whether we think WC will happen. The two reasons I don't think it will are 1) Do pros want to play WC 2020? and 2) logistics.

NXL needs entry fees to pay expenses so if it's up to them, "World cup will happen in some shape or form" until the day it doesn't. My biggest concern is NXL's viability moving forward and their ability to survive while doing the right thing - not whether there's a 2020 WC. Good luck Tom, we know you care and that you're in a tough spot.

Why play? - almost all pro players are still paying to play, or sacrificing more than they gain to play. It's naive to think that EVERY PRO is still in a financially viable position and is willing to throw caution to the wind just so they can say they played World Cup 2020. No-show teams, skeleton squads, you get the picture.

Logistics - teams should have travel and lodging set by now and I can't imagine any of them do. Winning this World Cup would come with an asterisk and I haven't seen any pros in here pushing hard to play. Flights are non-refundable and who knows what the Airbnb/hotel situation there is like.
Also many pros have families and kids, is playing paintball worth the risk of their health and safety.

PUMP OT B.Y.O.L.B.

OG Feedback 45+
painter4life05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:11 PM #90
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:

I get what you are saying here, but I think many are using this narrative on the NXL incorrectly. They essentially have been able to financially hibernate during this time. They likely have very minimal expenses when not putting on events. Unless sponsors would pull out money for future events I don't see how this effects anything other than maybe the talent pools in pro and divisionals

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:43 PM #91
FreakinJB

Good point, I hope that's the case but any business that isn't making money is losing money. I'm thinking about deposits (event space reserved for two weekends, grandstands, generators, tents, etc.), debt, salaries, insurance, lack of sponsor income and the time they're spending managing the situation. NXL Europe was an investment which won't pay back this year. Those expenses don't go away, all with the likelihood of zero income for a year. Even if the event happens, it could operate at a loss without the cash cow divisional teams.

I know someone who planned a (large and expensive) wedding that had to eat $38k in deposits once it was cancelled due to COVID and that was just to reschedule at a later date.

I have no idea what NXL's affiliation with GoSports is, but the massive GoSports trailer sits at my local field when it's not at an event. I'd assume they're still paying off the six figure cost for trailer & equipment and that GoSports hasn't broke even yet since the subscription service never really took off. Does the GoSports event staff still have jobs with no events and/or do they choose to move on? What impact would no webcast have?

Someone mentioned Bart Y. who's in the automotive industry but nobody's buying cars right now. Just an ugly situation I hope they all can emerge from considering businesses have failed under less dire circumstances. It's like asking yourself if you could maintain status quo while not making a dollar and paying your bills until August 2021. My point is, "Will there be WC 2020?" is just the tip of the iceberg and I'm surprised there's not more conversation on this when global brands are going bankrupt at a rapid pace.

Last edited by FreakinJB : 07-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:28 PM #92
ker442

ker442 supports Ninja Paintball
There should be a World Cup, most of the High Case Numbers in Florida are in Miami-Dade County. All the Theme Parks are open, even all four Disney Parks are open and Disney Springs. I live in Orlando, and play paintball every weekend. We all take normal precautions (mask, 6 feet, don't touch face, wash hands) With Normal Precaution there is no reason to not have World Cup.
ker442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:29 PM #93
FreakinJB

..but you already live there. Most everyone else is traveling from a less-impacted part of the country, has to fly, find a place to stay and pay for a World Cup that's not as good as it would normally be. The Disney parks being open is a big reason people don't want to fly through Orlando International right now on top of everything else. I just don't see enough people being on board to have a full division play normally.

We're a few months out and not only is nobody in here saying that they and their team are chomping at the bit to play the event, nobody's even talking about it. How can you expect it to happen?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 PM #94
autodoc

Annual Supporting Member
autodoc plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
autodoc plays in the APPA D2 division
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
..but you already live there. Most everyone else is traveling from a less-impacted part of the country, has to fly, find a place to stay and pay for a World Cup that's not as good as it would normally be. The Disney parks being open is a big reason people don't want to fly through Orlando International right now on top of everything else. I just don't see enough people being on board to have a full division play normally.

We're a few months out and not only is nobody in here saying that they and their team are chomping at the bit to play the event, nobody's even talking about it. How can you expect it to happen?
Well said, but we are talking about it! Probably all we have right now, talk! We don’t have a whole lot of paintball going on compared to same time last season or since I can remember ever....And I have been shooting paintballs for a very long time!!! But I do have faith in that Tom and all the NXL people will do their best to put something together.

Last edited by autodoc : 07-29-2020 at 10:25 PM.
autodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:04 AM #95
Bunk3rKing
Shens!

Annual Supporting Member
Bunk3rKing is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bctom1776 View Post
I feel really confident that WC will happen in some form. We have the site booked for 2 weekends in case we need to split the event up. The general rule is 50 people per acre. We have 52 acres that is 2600 players at a time. So we may do a true morning and afternoon session with players required to leave after they are done playing. That is worse case scenario. Keep in mind we are right next to Disney and they are open for business. We can not predict the future but we can hope that by Nov we are in a better place. I think it is important for Tournament paintball that WC happens
Old 07-30-2020, 04:49 PM #96
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a founding member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life is Legendary
I don't think it will happen.
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 PM #97
Joshisanalligator
alligator catcher

plays in the NXL
Joshisanalligator owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
Then the only sensible thing to do is a MtG tournament online...
Joshisanalligator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:48 PM #98
autodoc

Annual Supporting Member
autodoc plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
autodoc plays in the APPA D2 division
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Thanks for the input Nick. I can understand why not. We sure will appreciate our time together whenever that may be.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM #99
WarpedGreg
Watch. Learn. Win.

Annual Supporting Member
WarpedGreg is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
WarpedGreg posts videos on PbNation
WarpedGreg has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
I hope so :/

Florida Atlantic University Alumni
WarpedGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 PM #100
etnolfa36

I would have thought the ball community was on "yes" side
etnolfa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:02 PM #101
etnolfa36

You also cant put any social distancing limits at cup. wont work
etnolfa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 PM #102
TheCount35

TheCount35 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
TheCount35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheCount35 supports Ninja Paintball
TheCount35 supports Empire
ICC and future events like it will grab way more attention (money) than the lame *** "WORLD CUP"
TheCount35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 AM #103
custommatt

custommatt is a Professional paintball player
custommatt supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Says, the series champion.....

Matt Sossoman #85
Omaha VICIOUS

FARSIDE
GI SPORTZ
http://www.inceptiondesigns.com/
custommatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:05 PM #104
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommatt View Post
Says, the series champion.....
I agree with him for sure.

It would be super naive for the NXL to think they can host any capacity of the World Cup without causing infections to occur, and for them as an industry leading organization, it would be in poor taste to put tradition or money over health and safety of the teams and players.

The NXL hosting World Cup tells the community that it is okay to play and go back to normal paintball which can be a bit dangerous with the predicted fall and winter case rates.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:40 AM #105
kyLman
m i c h i g a n g s t e r

kyLman owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
kyLman owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post

It would be super naive for the NXL to think they can host any capacity of the World Cup without causing infections to occur, and for them as an industry leading organization, it would be in poor taste to put tradition or money over health and safety of the teams and players.
Don't you think that adults can make a decision whether something is "risky" for them? If its a risk you are unwilling to take, don't go. Without debating the virus, I think we can agree that it doesn't kill like it was predicted to kill, or even remotely.
kyLman is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.