PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-03-2020, 10:56 AM #1
Konosuba710

Konosuba710 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Marker/package help $500-$700

Hey everyone, I'm returning to paintball after a long time and want some advice on what set-up to buy. I want to spend around $500-$700 altogether(marker, hopper, tank) and would appreciate some advice. I've been looking online and saw a few markers that caught my eye: Etha 2, Etek 5, Axe 2.0-pro. I heard read the mini gs was good but I'm 6'3 and don't think it would fit well in my hands. Would prefer to buy new but, I'm not opposed to buying a used gun but wouldn't know how to identify if the marker has a problem if it had any. Hopefully, this isn't the wrong thread because I'm mostly concerned about which marker to get.
Konosuba710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2020, 12:13 PM #2
viking002
Da Sigma

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konosuba710 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm returning to paintball after a long time and want some advice on what set-up to buy. I want to spend around $500-$700 altogether(marker, hopper, tank) and would appreciate some advice. I've been looking online and saw a few markers that caught my eye: Etha 2, Etek 5, Axe 2.0-pro. I heard read the mini gs was good but I'm 6'3 and don't think it would fit well in my hands. Would prefer to buy new but, I'm not opposed to buying a used gun but wouldn't know how to identify if the marker has a problem if it had any. Hopefully, this isn't the wrong thread because I'm mostly concerned about which marker to get.
If you're 6'3" you're going to want a more stretched out marker. Out of the 4 you mentioned the Etha 2 and the Etek 5 would fit the bill for that. The Mini and Axe are likely to be too small for you.

If you buy used you're going to get more value for your dollar. If you buy used on PBnation look for people with a good amount of positive feedback. Ask for pictures of the breech of the marker and the bolt. That will give you an idea of if it was taken care of. Also, ask them to send you a recent video of the marker shooting. That way you can hear the sound of the marker and hear if there are any leaks.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:22 PM #3
jtcraig93
P.E. ETEK 5 & Spyder Xtra

jtcraig93 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
^Agree with everything above poster has said.
But if I may add a little more. Definitely look at a used ETEK 5. They are very simple to work on and are a very reliable marker platform. I personally bought two used ETEK 5s and never once regret my purchases.

I personally like the Eteks for their easy to maintain bolt/rammers. The HPR/LPR are very easy to access. The platform just fits my body style (5'10"/stocky build.) But I am a Recball/scenario player myself. I could see the Etha 2 platform more of a tourney player setup... But the ETEK 5 also has an OLED board which can make on field adjustment a lot more convenient. Plus they are very smooth to shoot.

Just my two cents. They are going used now for around $350-$400 used depending on wear. So definitely ask for pics of ASA, breech, bolt, barrel system. I'd also ask about how much paint has been fired and when last time the seals/o-rings, bolt too been replaced. All spares are still in stock by Planet Eclipse.
jtcraig93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:56 PM #4
Konosuba710

Thanks guy! Really great advice and I'll try the pbnation used section. I love how the Etek 5 looked and I'll probably try for one of those. If you don't mind me asking, as a buyer with no credible feedback, how should the trading process be. Never purchased anything on a trading website before, usually just in person. Am I the one that's going to have to send the money first?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:18 PM #5
jtcraig93

Quote:
Thanks guy! Really great advice and I'll try the pbnation used section. I love how the Etek 5 looked and I'll probably try for one of those. If you don't mind me asking, as a buyer with no credible feedback, how should the trading process be. Never purchased anything on a trading website before, usually just in person. Am I the one that's going to have to send the money first?
No bother and great question! I'd say as a buyer on here, I sometimes an hesitant about transactions also. I typically do major purchased (like markers) on either eBay or Reputable company websites. I personally recommend TradeMyGun or Mazen's. Hear nothing but good stuff about those sites. If and only if you find a legitimate seller on here (Check Feedback) I'd make a move.

As a new member and such, you typically do have to send money first before they ship. Per B/S/T rules. But there are definitely trustworthy people on here.

As far as payment, I'd only use PayPal myself. They have a section for Goods/services that has buyer protection. Typically as a buyer, you cover the PayPal fees for the seller in that case, to get buyer protection.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM #6
Konosuba710

Thanks man, you helped me out a lot. I appreciate you spending the time to answer my questions thoroughly. I feel a lot better about making a purchase soon Another quick question, I just did some browsing and saw an eclipse gtek 160r used for $400. Is that a good price and is it just as good as an etek 5?
Old 08-03-2020, 02:04 PM #7
Blackrain7557
Most negative person ever

Blackrain7557 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Quote:
Thanks man, you helped me out a lot. I appreciate you spending the time to answer my questions thoroughly. I feel a lot better about making a purchase soon Another quick question, I just did some browsing and saw an eclipse gtek 160r used for $400. Is that a good price and is it just as good as an etek 5?
A Gtek 160R for 400 would be very good. I typically see used websites like TMG or MazensPB going for a bit higher. Just get pictures and any questions you have answered.

It uses the Gamma Core which is very efficient and very simple to maintain. The OLED board is stock and there's a variety of teams that still use them even up to the Pro level. Nothing wrong with it for a tournament or recball marker.

Is it as "good as" an Etek 5? That's pretty subjective, if I had an Etek 5 and 160r used at a $400 price point I'd get the 160R. And that mostly boils down to not wanting to deal with macro-line ever again. Both would be solid and reliable markers for a long time.

A suggestion for hoppers would be the Spire 3 or Spire IR. A Dye Rotor R2 while more expensive is also a good choice. I'd also suggest a Ninja SL2 77CI or HK Army Aero 80CI. I'm 6' 1" with longer arms and a 68/45 from today wouldn't fit me anymore.

If you can try out a setup with different tank sizes and see what you prefer.

Last edited by Blackrain7557 : 08-03-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Blackrain7557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM #8
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
I would say the 160r is a great marker. If it is better than that Etek now that is personal preference.

For me, I would shoot a 160r over the Etek 5. I like the ergonomics better and shot better than the Etek. It also comes stock with more nice features. Like a better on/off asa, thumbwheel locking feedneck, all metal construction and OLED board.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:45 PM #9
Konosuba710

Thanks for your personal opinions everyone! Definitely helps with my decision making.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM #10
Konosuba710

Just picked up a 160r thanks for the help everyone
Old 08-03-2020, 03:24 PM #11
jtcraig93

Quote:
Just picked up a 160r thanks for the help everyone[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pbnation.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Niiice! Take care of it and it will take care of you on the field. I highly recommend spending some time nose buried in the owners manual and learn all about it from front cover to back. I have friends on my scenario team who rock the GTEK 160r and they are always speaking well of it. Of course they never clean theirs. Hahaha

But seriously, congratulations on the marker pick-up and hope it works well for ya.

Last edited by jtcraig93 : 08-03-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00 PM #12
mikepaul21

I'm in the same boat as you, stopped playing back in 2005 and looking to get back into the sport but everything is different.
mikepaul21 is offline   Reply With Quote