Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM #22
mDub TK

has been a member for 10 years
mDub TK is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL 2
mDub TK plays in the APPA D1 division
When Chicago Open is in Bolingbrook, Il - 5 mins from your house as a teenager >.>
mDub TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM #23
Lynnch

Lynnch owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Eh, its easy to look back with rose tinted glasses. It was also a time where paintball was, a lot of times, cheater-ball argue-ball and throw a fit-ball. I look back at that stuff and am just embarrassed.

Paintball has just grown up. Nowadays we can run xball points and everyone has a great time, and talks strategy instead of losing their **** at each other.

Go watch the aussie Super7s if you want a higher bps. Sounds insane, but is it more fun? I dunno, could be.

Anyway, I can't watch these Derder videos anymore, except for maybe Natural Selection which has some form of narrative structure. Quick cut shots just get boring.
Lynnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:11 PM #24
SkiDaPartyboy

SkiDaPartyboy plays in the PSP
SkiDaPartyboy is an NCPA player
SkiDaPartyboy plays in the APPA D4 division
My first Derder dvd and also included my first psp event.

Miami University Alumni
SkiDaPartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 PM #25
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
To me a statement like that is 100% on point. The reason I feel this sport lacks a bit in its widespread appeal, is that the current NXL iteration does not really consistently show/accomplish wild feats of atheticism or skill in an impactful way. Extreme sports are popular on TV and media because of the crazy things you see (insane moves in skateboard, huge waves in surfing, etc.) Paintball used to have that with the high ROF and minimal fields because players would need to pull off crazy and wild moves in normal game settings almost every single point. It added a great WOW! factor to the game and a speed and brutality that doesn't exist now.

Essentially for the wide audience of paintball there are two types of moments that enthrall and make them say WOW!, which is huge full field moves, brutal bunkering and overshooting (like big NFL hits). Mass appeal comes from instantly understandable moments. For a casual viewer, if you need to explain to them why they should say WOW! at something, they never will. Kind of like how in the modern game we are supposed to appreciate "amazing snap shots" and the like. That **** is boring. Show me the total max extreme of the sport in terms of BPS, athleticism, and speed.

And, I don't feel it matters if the pro level of old school NXL was unwelcoming with a high entry barrier, because it is not enjoyable for a casual player to play. Just like the NFL has barriers, you dont see the casual backyard footballer going out and playing full speed, pads on football.

It absolutley means more paint. The modern layouts are setup in a way that you can lose out lanes and miss shots through lane gaps multiple times, and still have even more lanes to hold that player back from advancing. Which means if I miss the D1 lane, I will shoot the D2 lane, if I miss that I will shoot D3 lane, if I miss that I will shoot the 50D lane, and so on.

In old school Xball you didnt really have the ability to sit and lane. The fields were built "wide" in that the second the opposing team got wide on you, you were utterly ****ed because there was no where left to go and it was live by your gun mode with minimal bunker coverage. If you missed the initial shot and a team made the snake or made the 50 you were just wrecked in 10-15 seconds. Since the risk/reward was so high for these moves, almost every team was sending multiple guys to do this.

I mean even XSV, who pretty much mastered and redefined the Ironmen book on modern lane control and conservative play was going out and either winning every point in 30 seconds, or losing catastrophically in less than 45 seconds trying to hold lanes with Rich, Neil, and Micah.

I think back then I was rarely going onto the field with more than 3 pods as a front player. The most I would ever shoot would be running out to a corner and even then pretty much took 4 pods and a hopper. Now when I play NXL games I never go out with less than 7 because I can realistically shoot that in a single point.
I couldn’t agree more with this if I tried. I played xball down at World Cup in ‘03 and ‘04. I never carried more than 4 pods playing what you’d call a center attacker these days. I might have shot 1/2 a case a match and that was with the uncapped semi auto guns. I mean look at this video and compare it to what the NXL has become. Today’s NXL is like a bad lip reading version of what xball started out as.

Now get off my lawn you punk *** kids.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:39 PM #26
lawf

bring back 15bps or unlimited semi auto! paintball was more fun and savage that way.

nothing like bunkering someone and putting 5-9 shots into them
lawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM #27
fishballer06
ShockerRepair

fishballer06 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
fishballer06 donated to help Peyton Trent
fishballer06 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
fishballer06 supports DLX Technology
fishballer06 supports Shocker RSX
This video still gets my blood pumping. God I miss real paintball.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 PM #28
notsuoh-alyat

Quote:
For real. I don't understand why the NXL is so damn thick about layouts.

Less bunkers = less sitting and laning all day

Less bunkers = bigger moves since you can read lanes much better
With bigger gaps between bunkers, I'm certain most guys would just tuck in and shoot the gap if they were put in. This may be boring, but pretty damn effective. Lane discipline, zone control are far beyond what they were 10-15 years ago.

DALLASJETS

notsuoh-alyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM #29
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I couldn’t agree more with this if I tried. I played xball down at World Cup in ‘03 and ‘04. I never carried more than 4 pods playing what you’d call a center attacker these days. I might have shot 1/2 a case a match and that was with the uncapped semi auto guns. I mean look at this video and compare it to what the NXL has become. Today’s NXL is like a bad lip reading version of what xball started out as.

Now get off my lawn you punk *** kids.
As a fellow 03 WC X-ball (D3) player I agree. I think a couple of points I carried 6 pods. The game wasn't hold a lane to wait for someone to make a move. It was shoot, wrap move. It was easier to live behind your gun and make **** happen.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:03 AM #30
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsuoh-alyat View Post
With bigger gaps between bunkers, I'm certain most guys would just tuck in and shoot the gap if they were put in. This may be boring, but pretty damn effective. Lane discipline, zone control are far beyond what they were 10-15 years ago.
Validates the point I make that less bunkers means bigger moves since you can read these above described lanes better since the bunkers wouldnt block out the field. Teams would get massacred up the center if they just decided to hold the wide lanes and tuck in. If they committed to laning shut the center, Id take my chances jumping through one lane because it would mean annihilating the entire team from the snake.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM #31
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJoker View Post
As a fellow 03 WC X-ball (D3) player I agree. I think a couple of points I carried 6 pods. The game wasn't hold a lane to wait for someone to make a move. It was shoot, wrap move. It was easier to live behind your gun and make **** happen.
Yeah nobody shot what you'd all a lane these days back then. The back guys definitely shot a lot of paint but they'd shoot a guy in so your snake and front dorito guy could move. Those guys normally only carried like 6 pods from what I can remember. I remember we'd send a guy to the snake and a guy to the dorito side. Off the break I'd shoot a lane trying to hit the other team snake guy off the break and count to five then fill in about two bunkers up from the starting box. From there you'd shoot a guy in and move. Do that until you got hit or made the 50. Once I got to the 50 I either helped pinch out the other teams snake guy if he was alive or the d side if you got lucky and shot the guy out first. It was a lot more fun to play and I would imagine it was a lot more fun to watch. These old DerDer videos from this time frame sure make it seem more exciting to watch.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:02 PM #32
notsuoh-alyat

Quote:
Validates the point I make that less bunkers means bigger moves since you can read these above described lanes better since the bunkers wouldnt block out the field. Teams would get massacred up the center if they just decided to hold the wide lanes and tuck in. If they committed to laning shut the center, Id take my chances jumping through one lane because it would mean annihilating the entire team from the snake.
I truly want to believe your vision but cannot see that happening with the high level gun skills/lane control of today's players. Would love to hear insight from a current pro player on how they think wider lanes would effect the game.

DALLASJETS

notsuoh-alyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:45 PM #33
E99_Curt
yup.

E99_Curt is a Supporting Member
E99_Curt owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
The more spacious layouts were more conducive to semi auto play. It's pretty tough to consistently hold down a lane walking the trigger for an extended period of time or while reloading. The denser layouts make movement still somewhat possible with ramping in place. You either need both or neither. I personally preferred open layouts with semi. Different strokes, etc etc.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:28 PM #34
spifbob

spifbob supports Cereal Killerz 2
spifbob supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSales View Post
Cornhole is on TV. Bowling is on TV. Poker is on TV. All of these things are boring as h3ll to watch but at least you can follow along. Paintball isn't TV friendly. If there was money in putting paintball on TV it would have been done by now.

ESPN bailed for a reason. If there was a way to make it profitable they would still do it.
Only sport with a "ball" that you can rarely ever see it. I'm still convinced that if the paint was visible all the time (so you could see the lanes/etc.) the game would be much more viable.

Too much has to be "understood" about the game to enjoy watching it right now on a screen and even then we are limited in what visuals we have.
spifbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:40 PM #35
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
Thanks for this!
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:07 PM #36
splatterman
Washington Winstons

splatterman plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
splatterman posts videos on PbNation
Definitely my favorite derder video.

Last edited by splatterman : 06-08-2020 at 08:19 PM.
splatterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:02 PM #37
Traviit

God I'm so happy I played during the attitude era of paintball. Everyone who played around this time misses it and doesnt like what it has become. I wish there would be a group that would truly seek out to make this sport great again and go back to what it use to be.
Traviit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:29 PM #38
BOBBYTUCSON@DP
obama=dirty f'n commie

BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BOBBYTUCSON@DP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BOBBYTUCSON@DP supports Team VICIOUS
BOBBYTUCSON@DP has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Man....not gonna lie, rewatching this now gave me that flavor in my soul and made me feel that feeling i felt back when this came out. Where has time gone? I remember being 16 years old watching this over and over all night. All of derders stuff. Unreal
Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 PM #39
vague2628
♥ GSXR ♥

So I just rewatched Derder's Running Riot that we were all over in, and it made me miss these days. Seeing my old teammates throughout it makes me want to get back into the sport again, but "You can never go home again."
Old 06-26-2020, 11:37 AM #40
lawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatterman View Post
Definitely my favorite derder video.
Was this the one we saw at the premiere in San Diego at the NPPL we reffed?

Anyone know if this is the DerDer film they had that premiere i just mentioned? or was it a different one?

Was epic watching a DerDer film in a movie theater either way.
lawf is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.