Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 AM #22
MΩRAL MAN
Alpha and Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatISaid View Post
If all the bands did that (I agree that they did), then why is Page always singled out? It's because he played songs by other artists and gave himself the writing credits.
There's very little evidence for "other bands" doing it, but mountains of evidence against page. thats why he's singled out.

Last edited by MΩRAL MAN : 08-18-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 AM #23
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
Well because when the animals or bluesbreakers or whoever played a blues song they generally gave the black guys credit
Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 AM #24

and he didn't just play blues licks he stole highly original ideas from guys like davey graham, bert jansch, donovan, etc
Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 AM #25
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
I hate jimmy page.
www.JimmyHickeyphoto.com
Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 AM #26

and I don't even buy the whole "good producer" argument because zeppelin albums all sound like mud
Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM #27
ThatsWhatISaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MΩRAL MAN View Post
There's very little evidence for "other bands" doing it, but mountains of evidence against page. thats why he's singled out.
I wasn't saying that other bands stole songs, I was saying that other bands used old blues licks.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM #28
Gold Leader (Banned)

Capitalism my friends. Led Zeppelin was able to market themselves better than the bands they stold from.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM #29
wavesport001

Not just market, but make a better "sound".

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM #30
edudcixlsyd
ya boi

I don't like Led Zeppelin.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM #31
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Not just market, but make a better "sound".
Hardly. That's highly subject to opinion
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM #32
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
i used to not like led zeppelin but now i do
Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 AM #33

that's un****ingfortuneate
Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 AM #34
the plague
dominion kids

the plague is a founding member
Ok first of all, I think a lot of you need to get your facts straight. I love how when this topic is brought up, everyone instantly assumes anything Page has ever played has been stolen.

Here's the truth:

Led Zeppelin

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You- Yes it was originally recorded by Bredon, but the song was actually credited on the Baez record as traditional. When Bredon brought it up, he and Baez were given credit and he was payed royalties.

Dazed & Confused- Yes Holmes released a song called "I'm Confused", but the fact is that enough of the song is different: added drums, bow solo, no keyboards, and different lyrics. So technically the versions aren't similar enough to warrant plagarism violations.

You Shook Me- This is just an old blues standard. The Jeff Beck version is about 1/3 the length and is highly abbreviated. John Paul Jones plays on both versions for christ sakes.

White Summer/Black Mountain Side- I think you guys have a hard time understanding what "traditional" means. Again how can you plagarize and steal something that's deemed use by everyone? Page has done far more elaborate versions live to warrant any claims that he "stole" this piece.

I Can't Quit You Babe- Again Blues standard with appropriate measures taken.

How Many More Times- Loosely based off of a Burnett arrangment. Proper action has been taken to give him credit for the song.

Led Zeppelin II

Whole Lotta Love- Yes, Dixon sued them and the case was settled out of court. The lyrics are generally to blame, not Page's guitar. So I fail to see why Page get's Plant's mistake blamed on him?

The Lemon Song- Pretty much the same as with "WLL". Settled out of court.

Bring It On Home- Settled out of court again and given proper compositional credit.

Led Zeppelin IV

When The Levee Breaks- Given proper credit to the orginal composer.

Conclusion:

So out of all 79 of Led Zeppelins studio composed songs. Only 11 are Borrowed from other artists. The argument can be made that many of these songs are much different then their orginators. Proper credit has been given in those cases where issues have arisen. The majority of the songs under concern are during the first 2 albums. So basically all of you critics of pudge are completely dismissing the other 7 studio albums under his belt? I think all of you are being completely short-sided when it comes to Jimmy Page. Led Zeppelin has always payed homage to the artists that they have looked up to. Just look at all the different songs they have performed in their Medleys of their concerts. They have covered over 200 songs from over 100 different artists in their span of touring. I'll be the first to admit they have done some wrong to some of the artists mentioned in that clip, but actions have been taken to correct those mistakes. It really is a shame that so much emphasis is placed on these allegations, rather then the actual music they produce. And to say Jimmy Page is talentless is just absurd. The man not only had a hand in writing every song but two, but also produced every album.

Give the man a ****ing break. It's bad enough his life has never been the same after Bonham died, and then pukes like you, who think you can tarnish is name by bringing up ancient history. The man is a guitar hero. Right up there with Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, and Duane Allman. I know the internet allows people to just spew unvalidated garbage whenever you please, but think about things before you put stupid thoughts onto the keyboard.

Last edited by the plague : 08-21-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added abbreviations
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM #35
ThatsWhatISaid

Would it be at all possible to not use abbreviations? I don't know what songs you're talking about.

Last edited by ThatsWhatISaid : 08-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM #36
PlasticStaple

to the OP: Cry about it?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM #37
ACE159
I <3 DRUMMING

it seems everyone here just bashes on musicians...
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."~George Carlin
2012 Scavenger Hunt Champs- STarmy
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM #38
komodo_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by the plague View Post
So out of all 79 of Led Zeppelins studio composed songs. Only 11 are Borrowed from other artists.
Soo...what you're saying is...he's not a theif, because he only stole 10% of the songs he played?

Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Give the man a ****ing break. It's bad enough his life has never been the same after Bonham died, and then pukes like you, who think you can tarnish is name by bringing up ancient history.
*cry*
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM #39
THE COPY PASTA
Computer chair activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE159 View Post
it seems everyone here just bashes on musicians...
**** music.
It's a waste of time.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM #40
demonic_dimebag v2
I'm back, *****es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the plague View Post
Give the man a ****ing break. It's bad enough his life has never been the same after Bonham died, and then pukes like you, who think you can tarnish is name by bringing up ancient history. The man is a guitar hero. Right up there with Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, and Duane Allman. I know the internet allows people to just spew unvalidated garbage whenever you please, but think about things before you put stupid thoughts onto the keyboard.
He's just overall a complete douche, he steals music and takes credit for it. And I'm supposed to give him a break?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM #41
wavesport001

Quote:
So out of all 79 of Led Zeppelins studio composed songs. Only 11 are Borrowed from other artists.

Soo...what you're saying is...he's not a theif, because he only stole 10% of the songs he played?
You did read the part of his post where he explained that alot of the "thievery" was of lyrical content, not music, right?

Also, make a list of Page's most famous licks/songs: Rock & Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Stairway, The Ocean, Immigrant song, Khashmir, Good Times Bad Times - tell me, who did he steal these from?

Quote:
Would it be at all possible to not use abbreviations? I don't know what songs you're talking about.
Stop posting in this thread. You know **** about Zeppelin. Your opinion doesn't matter.

The most hilarious thing about all you people bashing Page and Zeppelin is the hypocrisy you display if you like any of the multitude of "Zeppitators". If you like Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Stone Temple Pilots or any of the other bands who copy Zeppelin's entire schtick then you have no right to bash Page for using the schtick of those who came before him. Basically, if you like almost any popular rock or hard rock music created after they year 1976 then you can't bash zeppelin because all music since has been influenced by zep.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster

Last edited by wavesport001 : 08-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 PM #42
komodo_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
tell me, who did he steal these from?
Don't know yet. Maybe he got smart and started stealing from dead artists.
Closed Thread