New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Nope, that's a part that gets handed off to F&I. I know just enough about finance and warranty to be slightly dangerous.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2020, 10:57 AM #23
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
So, here we are, almost three years later. How about some updates!

I took on a BUNCH of new tasks at the dealership. Yep, I'm still at the same store. I'm 99% off the sales floor. Still have the ability to sell, just not the time. It's no longer my main focus. I'm the 2nd finance manager, taking care of F&I on Tuesdays when our main F&I manager is off (my off day moved to Friday). My main job since last September has been internet sales manager. I handle the incoming internet leads, inventory management (pricing of the new vehicles, photography, merchandising), website management, all the social media, things like that. I'm also handling corporate orders (there's probably a dozen company vehicles on their way eventually), commercial orders (have four police vehicles on order), some internal policy, and training.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 AM #24
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
Are you doing less time at work now that you have a new position?

Also, question about Fords/Lincolns. What year and model do you find has the least amount of issues? I currently have a 2011 Buick Regal that's given me headaches since I bought it a few years ago. Now the AC went out and if I need a new compressor I'm just going to get something else. Maybe a Ford?
Old 07-21-2020, 01:14 PM #25
going_home
Hebrews 13:8

Annual Supporting Member
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
going_home owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
How has covid-19 affected the car sales business ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Mao Zedong
going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 PM #26
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post
Are you doing less time at work now that you have a new position?
I wish - probably more. The best part of it is that there's basically zero down time, I'm always busy. Today I helped orchestrate a retirement celebration, set up a video shoot for tomorrow, took photos of several vehicles, signed up a new vendor, delivered a corporate vehicle a customer had been waiting on for 7 months, and fine tuned a few policies. The worst part is that there's basically no down time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post
Also, question about Fords/Lincolns. What year and model do you find has the least amount of issues? I currently have a 2011 Buick Regal that's given me headaches since I bought it a few years ago. Now the AC went out and if I need a new compressor I'm just going to get something else. Maybe a Ford?
Least amount... we don't see too many Fusions in the shop, nor do we see many of the 2.0 liter Escapes. If you get either from 2017-2018 with the 1.5 EcoBoost, make sure you've got a good service contract that covers the engine. The 2019+ engine block is improved, and I'm waiting for one of those myself for my 2018 - blown block at 42k miles. Thankful for the warranty! Beyond that, both are solid choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by going_home View Post
How has covid-19 affected the car sales business ?
It's been weird, really. The biggest thing is that we'd been gutted on inventory. We're used to having about 80 new, 160-190 used at any given time, and we're a pretty small store. At the worst of it, we were down to 35 new, 65 used. We're beefing back up the inventory lately, so I'm busy as hell getting it all tracked, photographed, and marketed. New was a mess because the factories had shut down, used was a mess because stuff was going through auction at what we'd have to sell it for. Either wholesale had to go back down, or retail had to bump up. Retail bumped up - you're going to see higher used car prices going forward from this.

Past the inventory issues, the "tire kickers" pretty much vanished. If someone came onto the lot, they were a legit buyer. That part has been nice. We got a lot of "oh, you have this truck out there for $25000, but you'd take $20000 out the door because you're desperate to move inventory, right?". Yeah, no. That'd be taking $7000 off - not going to happen. Those people seem to have mostly disappeared lately though.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 AM #27
whyhelloofficer
Grumpy Millennial

Sorry to revive an old thread -- but curious what the Used Car Market looks like for you guys up North, and in general.

Have had serious issues finding any availability with used cars lately, and the vehicles available have either been huge piles, or waaaay overpriced.
whyhelloofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:28 AM #28
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Most lots are doing the "dealership comb-over". Spread the inventory out, park at extreme angles, make it look like you haven't gone out of business. We did some of that, but we also kept a much higher used inventory than a lot of area dealers. Inventory is HARD to have on hand, for several reasons.

First, the dealer has to buy that inventory. Whether it's as a trade in, at auction, or for new, from the manufacturer, that's money that has to be put up or floorplan financed. In uncertain times, no business owner wants to have money tied up in inventory.

Next, supplies are lower. Couple reasons for that - auctions shut down like a lot of other businesses, so we couldn't buy at auction. We picked up a bunch of rotating-out rental vehicles over the summer, it was almost our only source for a few months. People weren't trading off as much, so trades were harder to land. Oh, and a more-than-normal active storm season probably really screwed up the used market in the south.

Once the auctions were open, the market as always dictated both wholesale and eventually retail prices. What used to be a $20k truck (4 years old, 90k miles) was suddenly a $25k truck. We had vehicles on the lot priced lower than what they went for at auction, and actually cleared out some of our older inventory and made money by wholesaling for what that market went to. Retail pricing hadn't caught up yet. Tough times. I'd figured either wholesale would return to normal (lower), or retail would rise to meet the new levels. Retail went up. The same money today won't buy nearly what it would in February. Not even close. It's not that the vehicles are overpriced, it's that the market moved that much. Scary, isn't it?

Even on new vehicles, things have changed. Want a new F-150 right now? Be ready to pay MSRP, minus this month's rebates. IF you can find one that fits your needs. Production has started again, of course, but getting that inventory to the lots has been slow. We have less than half our normal inventory of new vehicles right now. For a lot in a small (14k people) town that normally stocks 40-50 new F-150 and F-250 trucks, we currently have something like 6 or 7. And two of those have been used as service courtesy vehicles. We've actually been more successful getting our hands on lightly used 2020 Explorers than getting new ones lately. Things that are unusual (18 Continental with rear seat package) are attracting serious inquiries from all over the country. Those people aren't reaching out to middle Wisconsin because they're shopping us against the one 20 minutes from their house.

So, the short version. The market prices have gone up. A lot. It's beyond the dealer's control. It's a game of compromise right now. Inventory is still slim, and prices are higher.

Oh, one other point to throw out there. No dealer is "desperate to make a deal" or "in a bind to move that inventory" unless they're being liquidated by their floorplan bank. We get people daily that offer us $5000-6000 lower than our listed price. There's not that much room, ever, but especially now. The internet changed all that. We have two prices listed on our cars at our store. The price on the sticker on the window (buyer's guide), and the price hanging off the mirror. More than happy to play the "negotiate thousands off" on the window sticker, but the hang tag is was you'd rather pay. Play the other way, I can guarantee you'll pay more than hang tag.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM #29
whyhelloofficer
Grumpy Millennial

Wow -- Thank you for such a thorough and thought out response. It is incredibly interesting to see the seemingly unrelated forces that are all at play in so many industries with such a weird year.

From the surface, it felt like Used Cars were harder to come just due to uncertainty. People did not know what the next 6 months was going to look like so they were just sitting on/holding their cars that they were barely driving. Turns out, that was only one variable in a much bigger equation.

The pivot to pick up vehicles from the rental car services was inevitable, I spoke with a few folks at Enterprice here in the West Central Florida Area, and they said that they furloughed almost their entire staff and only had a small handful of 'hubs' open with a lot of rotating staff and relocating vehicles due to the drop in demand at the airport (TPA) and throughout the region.

With interest rates so low (or 0% with some manufacturers) My Wife and I almost pulled the trigger on a brand new 2019 this year, but decided to hold off because it still didn't work within our current family budget (and paying $800+ per month for Daycare for the one year old).
Old 11-03-2020, 10:15 AM #30
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
0% is almost always a thing offered on some level from manufacturers. Maybe not on all vehicles, but on most. The thing you have to balance there is whether it makes sense. If you tend to trade out of your vehicle at 3-4 years, or pay it off faster than the 60/72 month loan, 0% usually isn't a great way to go. The way the manufacturers fund that 0% is by taking away most or all of the rebates. For someone that keeps their car 10 years and always just makes the base payment until that 60th or 72nd payment, 0% makes sense.

Enterprise and the others are pretty much always cycling out their units. Rental car companies, I'm convinced, were single-handedly responsible for the continuation of cars like the Fusion, Impala, Malibu, Taurus, etc, for as long as they lasted. They're certainly the reason the Grand Caravan still existed until late into this production year, finally giving way to the Voyager stripped-down Pacifica. We grabbed a bunch of vans and Fusion Hybrids that way. Plus, you have to look at some of those companies not making it through the loss of travel. Hertz is going down, and they'll have half a million cars they'll have to dispose of somewhere. That might actually help the long term used market, since production numbers for new 2020's was so low.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:40 AM #31
whyhelloofficer
Grumpy Millennial

We are definitely the "drive it forever" type that would have taken advantage of the 0%, but just couldn't take the leap this year for a brand new car payment.

The Wife drove an '08 Fusion until this year when the repair for a new ECU was going to be more expensive than the car itself, in addition to all of the other higher mileage stuff that was needed (tires, brakes, PS pump, suspension) and I just couldn't justify it.

I loved the Fusion, because I also have an '07 Miata that uses the same Duratec platform, so I was super familiar with the 2.3 in her car.

I have always bought older used cars, fixed them, and driven them until the wheels fall off. My current DD is an '02 Yukon with 236k miles on it and a few different shades of rust on the roof.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:14 AM #32
iamkellingit

iamkellingit owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
iamkellingit owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iamkellingit has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The dealership wants to buy my 2019 Hellcat, but I would only do so if they could put me in a redeye. any ideas on how to go about that?
iamkellingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:44 PM #33
going_home

Annual Supporting Member
Not sure why, but I was looking at new 4 door F150's, I was shocked at the pricing, and decided I was happy with my 2015 5.7 RAM.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 AM #34
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkellingit View Post
The dealership wants to buy my 2019 Hellcat, but I would only do so if they could put me in a redeye. any ideas on how to go about that?
Be 100% clear that it's the only path. They want your car, they'd need to get you what you want. Where you're willing to be flexible, make sure they know about that as well. Bottom line is that they want to help you get what you want, and in the process they get what they want. If that's not the mentality, talk to another dealership... or go up the ladder. The random sales guy on the sales floor is doing his best, but has to get things OK'd up the chain. In some cases, you might need to talk directly to the sales manager or the general sales manager (NOT always the same guy), but that won't be the person who walks you through the whole process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by going_home View Post
Not sure why, but I was looking at new 4 door F150's, I was shocked at the pricing, and decided I was happy with my 2015 5.7 RAM.

The price point on new models always climbs. There's actually an initial release price, and two jumps during the year typically. Most manufacturers do that.

The 21 F-150, however, added a ton of updates, especially in the XLT 302A and above.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 AM #35
SynysterPB

SynysterPB owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
In a couple of years i'll be buying my first car (hopefully) and I'm a huge fan of JDM cars and American muscle cars but I don't know what would fit into a smaller budget. Just a random thing I've been thinking about recently.

Guns: Empire Resurrection, GI/Bob Long Victus, DP E2, Azodin KPC, First Strike Scout, Custom Red/Silver Mini GS

Hopper/Tank/Misc. HK 68/4500 areolite, Spire IR, HK Speedloader, HK Zero G, HK Armpads, HK crash pants, HK dryfit skulls jersey (Customized), HK KLRs, Team USA Proflex, Empire 6 Piece sniper barrel kit, Under Armor High-Top cleats.
SynysterPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM #36
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Smaller budget and performance cars aren't a great mix. Not just for purchasing, but for care and feeding as well. There's a reason you see a lot of performance cars in the hands of guys who look like they've bought them to replace, shall we say, other equipment that's not as functional as it used to be.

Not to say that plenty of younger folks don't buy the cars. Hell, you can get into an EcoBoost Mustang that has all the look and feel of the GT but under $30k brand new. That gets you 310hp stock. Not a terrible direction if a muscle car is the desire.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 AM #37
SynysterPB

SynysterPB owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
Smaller budget and performance cars aren't a great mix. Not just for purchasing, but for care and feeding as well. There's a reason you see a lot of performance cars in the hands of guys who look like they've bought them to replace, shall we say, other equipment that's not as functional as it used to be.

Not to say that plenty of younger folks don't buy the cars. Hell, you can get into an EcoBoost Mustang that has all the look and feel of the GT but under $30k brand new. That gets you 310hp stock. Not a terrible direction if a muscle car is the desire.
Thanks, this cleared it up for me some more.

Guns: Empire Resurrection, GI/Bob Long Victus, DP E2, Azodin KPC, First Strike Scout, Custom Red/Silver Mini GS

Hopper/Tank/Misc. HK 68/4500 areolite, Spire IR, HK Speedloader, HK Zero G, HK Armpads, HK crash pants, HK dryfit skulls jersey (Customized), HK KLRs, Team USA Proflex, Empire 6 Piece sniper barrel kit, Under Armor High-Top cleats.
SynysterPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM #38
going_home

Annual Supporting Member
2020 F-150 4x4 Supercab.

163.7" wheelbase (8' bed).

Yep I ended up trading the Dodge at Brandon Ford.

Any idea who makes a wheel to wheel running board for a Supercab 8' bed ?

Otherwise I need a ladder to be able to reach into the bed.

I really like the APS Iboard , had them on several trucks, but I'm not sure if they make a wheel to wheel for my truck.

Last edited by going_home : Yesterday at 07:47 AM.