Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM #1
Yervand

Barrel Swab vs Jerk Squeegee

I see how Jerk Squeegee is a must to have. Take a barrel down, jerk through it a couple of times to clean it. I would see how a Barrel Swab would be useful if done the same way, but a lot of time I see people just stick those swabs in the barrels with out even taking the barrel down.

Doesn't it just push all the dirt down the barrel? What difference does it make?

Is there a need to get both or I will be better of with a Jerk Squeegee? If not then what are purposes for both of the types?

Thanks...

"I am new to the sport and the forum. I've recently been posting topics with questions, asked for suggestions and opinions. People on this forum helped me a lot and keep helping me. This is very inspirational and gives a sense of friendliness and support in the sport. Thank you all very-very much."
Yervand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM #2
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
If you can figure out a way to carry a pull-thru on the field and use it without removing the barrel (some guns will allow for this), it is absolutely ideal for overall cleanliness. Whenever possible, I use a pull-thru or "straight shot" style squeegee, then shove a barrel swab into the breech for good measure. I almost never simply use a barrel swab because of how much extra mess it can cause.

Of course, being a pump player, a truly clean barrel is particularly important.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM #3
ProMod
Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
ProMod owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ProMod is an NCPA player
ProMod supports DLX Technology
First off, if you've got a good quality barrel like a nightstick or a progressive, they'll "self clean" with the next couple of shots. For instance, if I broke a shot in my barrel (not a chop, a barrel break) then the next 2-3 shots should clean all the debris out and make the barrel like new again. I've always only carried swabs because I don't have time to remove my barrel mid-game. If you have a (single) barrel break, then a swab is the way to go; push it in, give it a twist and pull it back out; there won't be much paint left, and it'll get spread out after a couple shots. you can use the other side of the swab to get it a little cleaner too if you really want. Now, if you break a dozen shots, take your barrel off and run a swab all the way through your barrel (or squeegee, your choice) might also wanna have a swab to clean out your breech if you chopped but I never have to worry about that. At home, I usually run super-hot water through my barrels to melt the lube and paint out of the inside. then I'll use my swab to push a paper-towel through the barrel to get it dry.

So in reality, while squeegees work wonders, I've found a better method and I don't really need them anymore

*edit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
...Of course, being a pump player, a truly clean barrel is particularly important.
Too true!
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.
"...Looks Like A...." earns you an instant NEWBIE tag. Don't be a newbie.
ProMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 AM #4
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is Legendary
I've never satisfactorily shot through a break.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM #5
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 plays in the APPA D5 division
tlane77 is a top reviewer
tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
Whenever I try to shoot through a break every ball after that sucks. Just that little bit of paint or shell throws off every other shot.

Get a pull through, wear on your neck like a necklace, and practice field stripping your gun. I think it's as important as snap shooting or laning. Things happen on the field, and you should know your gun inside and out so you'll be able to do it.

I play back so I have a little time but I have stripped my guns while calling out positions. Gotten it back together and been able to help out.
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM #6
Yervand

I think I'll go with the jerk squeegee. I was just wondering if a swap is used to polish the inside of the barrel, but it looks like they do the same exact thing.

Does it matter what kind of jerk do I have? or all of them are the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlane77 View Post
Get a pull through, wear on your neck like a necklace
and call it my "battle necklace"? =) I am about to order this vest Tippman Patrol Vest:
http://tippmannuk.com/tippmann/image...Vest-Front.png
I think the bottom large pocket that is intended to use for grenades (which I never use because they are useless) will be a nice spot for a jerk squeegee.

"I am new to the sport and the forum. I've recently been posting topics with questions, asked for suggestions and opinions. People on this forum helped me a lot and keep helping me. This is very inspirational and gives a sense of friendliness and support in the sport. Thank you all very-very much."

Last edited by Yervand : 08-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM #7
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
All the same really.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 AM #8
Yervand

Quote:
All the same really.
and if they are all the same, why are you suggesting I should be using a jerk squeegee instead of the swab?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM #9
BitLumpkin

they really are pretty much the same
BitLumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM #10
ProMod
Gun Tech

ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
I've never satisfactorily shot through a break.

You should try to get your hands on a Smart Parts Progressive barrel. It's the only metal barrel I've shot that self-cleans evil out after 3 shots. Also, Invert's Nightstick has a good record of cleaning out after a few shots, but the last inch or so can become problematic if the CF gets damaged.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/4863/
Originally posted by msonic- Think of Simon as Paintball's Tony Stark. For real.

Last edited by ProMod : 08-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM #11
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yervand View Post
and if they are all the same, why are you suggesting I should be using a jerk squeegee instead of the swab?
I meant all the pull thrus (jerks I guess I never heard of it that way).
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM #12
franelpana

franelpana has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think they self-clean, because they have small bores, not because they're "good barrels"
franelpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 AM #13
Yervand

Quote:
Originally Posted by franelpana View Post
I think they self-clean, because they have small bores, not because they're "good barrels"
That's what I was thinking about as well. The paintball forces the paint out or should force it out. On the other hand you still have to clean them afterwards probably. It just that the pain won't keep braking and keep shooting. Can be probably a savor at a critical moment...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM #14
ProMod
Gun Tech

ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
yes and no. Smaller bores clean out easier, however there's more to it than just that. Most paint formulas do not stick to carbon fiber, meaning they're easier to clean out of a carbon fiber barrel than an aluminum barrel. Also, the progressive barrel I have is hard anno'd with a PTFE coated on the inside so paint won't stick.

They're both "good barrels" and they both bore at .688 while my evil is boring at around .683
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM #15
franelpana

franelpana has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMod View Post
yes and no. Smaller bores clean out easier, however there's more to it than just that. Most paint formulas do not stick to carbon fiber, meaning they're easier to clean out of a carbon fiber barrel than an aluminum barrel. Also, the progressive barrel I have is hard anno'd with a PTFE coated on the inside so paint won't stick.

They're both "good barrels" and they both bore at .688 while my evil is boring at around .683
ooh, didn't know that one, thanks

anyways, going back to the topic, I think you should have both, it's not like they're expensive. Use the swab to clean when you are on the field, or when you are in a hurry, and use the squeege to clean it when you are off the field. But if i had to choose between the 2, i'd choose swab.
franelpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM #16
Yervand

Quote:
But if i had to choose between the 2, i'd choose swab.
Really? Why?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 AM #17
ProMod
Gun Tech

ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
ooh, didn't know that one, thanks...
No prob, that's what I'm here for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yervand View Post
Really? Why?
Swabs can be used in place of squeegees, but squeegees can't be used in place of swabs.

If you want to take your barrel off and get a good cleaning, both will work equally well. If you want to quickly clean most of the paint out of your barrel, you need a swab.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM #18
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMod View Post
You should try to get your hands on a Smart Parts Progressive barrel. It's the only metal barrel I've shot that self-cleans evil out after 3 shots. Also, Invert's Nightstick has a good record of cleaning out after a few shots, but the last inch or so can become problematic if the CF gets damaged.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/4863/
Well, if you're lucky enough to have had it clean itself out, that's great. For all of my years of paintball experience, I've never had a barrel clean itself enough to make it shoot straight, regardless of the brand of paint or barrel.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM #19
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
You just blast through it and hope that one ball gets close to where you you're trying to put it.

Last tourney I played I had a barrel break and went through two pods trying to hit a guys pack from about 25 yards.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM #20
ProMod
Gun Tech

ProMod is an NCPA player
Quote:
Well, if you're lucky enough to have had it clean itself out, that's great. For all of my years of paintball experience, I've never had a barrel clean itself enough to make it shoot straight, regardless of the brand of paint or barrel.
That's quite odd. I'm definitely OCD when it comes to my gear being clean and it bugs me to all hell when my barrels aren't shooting consistently, however I have had barrels self-clean to near perfection. if you're ever in my area, give me a heads up and I'll show you what I mean

Quote:
You just blast through it and hope that one ball gets close to where you you're trying to put it.

Last tourney I played I had a barrel break and went through two pods trying to hit a guys pack from about 25 yards.

LOL that's one way to do it....I only had trouble at HB this year after we were using paint that heated up. it broke in my hopper and made it into my barrel. after dumping the broken paint and reloading with fresh paint, 4-5 shots to clean, the next shot went right where I wanted it to go (and every round after that)

Last edited by ProMod : 08-03-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM #21
cslguy

You need both but for swabs if you need a recommendation
Redz for thickness and good core
CP for a spiral and overall great finish
NXE for a little thinner but a little longer and has the best core

I own all of these and to say the least they are all amazing and are worth the money
cslguy is offline   Reply With Quote