Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM #1
joao

has been a member for 10 years
london nexus player

Retirement Announcement

Hi guys,

As someone who lives and breathes this sport I didn#8217;t expect to be writing something like this at this time in my career but here goes ... The past month or so has been a real curve ball for me, so I wanted to explain it all as fully as possible, to kill any rumours or mis-truths that may have instead gone around.

As some of you may or may not know, almost 5 weeks ago I went in for double knee surgery, to try and fix the persistent injuries I had picked up through my career and was running with throughout this past season. The surgery went well, although whilst operating the surgeon discovered a much greater issue in my right knee than the pre-op scans had shown.

Things had sounded positive from the fixes he had tried, but after meeting with him last week and subsequently speaking to the physiotherapist - the fixes don't appear to have taken as well as needed for what I want to continue doing.

I hope to be back walking fully unaided within a month, but with the demands of playing Pro Paintball the surgeon has advised that there is a very high probability that I would receive instant and permanent damage in my right knee, however well I prepared for it.

I have always put the team first over anything including injuries, but due to the severe and very real consequences at hand, I am going to be unable to play for London Nexus for the foreseeable future and after the hardest contemplation of my life, it's with sadness that I am going to retire from professional paintball accordingly.

It really hurts to have to retire from the sport and team that I love at only 24 years old when I feel I have so much more to give, but I have to play the cards I have been dealt.
Nexus has meant everything to me since we formed in 2003 and I am so proud of what we have achieved together, particularly 2007 to now; rebuilding the team from scratch to winning Pro events.

I am genuinely grateful to everyone that has supported me throughout, or helped me to progress in this great sport. I wouldn't be here without you guys.

So, to everybody who has openly or vocally supported me personally in any way as a player over the years; sincerely and totally, thank you. I couldn't even explain how much that support has always meant to me.

With a much more open schedule than usual looking apparent for 2010, I am aiming to run more clinics than I have before - to keep giving back to the people that want to progress. Also, as my work at DYE Europe continues, I hope to continue be involved in tournament paintball in some form.

To my boys on Nexus old and new - It has been a real honour playing with and helping to represent with you all. Those moments where we fought like champions or where we really were the best for any given weekend, rank as the proudest in my life and they could never be forgotten.

With that I am truly grateful that I have been able to live my dreams alongside you all; as those will last forever.

Blue and Gold for life,

Tommy "Gun" Pemberton
joao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM #2
PeteSterE
Ruck

PeteSterE is a Supporting Member
PeteSterE supports DLX Technology
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 AM #3
Nokia6618

Nokia6618 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thank you tommy for the great games we have seen you play...
Nokia6618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM #4
TeAmStRaIgHtPrIdE
TRose krEW?

TeAmStRaIgHtPrIdE helped look for balloons
TeAmStRaIgHtPrIdE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ohh man this sucks. i remember when u came out in 05-06? And was staying at nicky cubas place in sd. You came with nicky and shane to the clinic they were having at Velocity. Fun times haha. Good luck in whatever future plans you have man.
TeAmStRaIgHtPrIdE is offline   Reply With Quote