Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM #1
Shckr57

Freak XL Stainless Inserts - Electronic Digital Caliper

I did this test to verify the consistency among each insert relative to the rating printed on itself. Every tubes outside diameter measured 0.740 inches ± 001

Note: The edges for inside calibration slightly overlap, so actual inside diameters will be slightly larger. Picture provided below

Here are the results grouped (Stated = Measured):
  • 677 = 670
  • 679 = 672
  • 682 = 675
  • 684 = 677
  • 687 = 679
  • 689 = 683.5
  • 691 = 685
  • 693 = 687.5

Stock aluminum Freak XL insert that came with barrel:
Shckr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 PM #2
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
How does that verify consistency?

The regular “.689” XL insert doesn’t match the size of the same “.689” Stainless Steel insert, it’s .682 and the SS insert is .6835

I’d bet that’s the case most of the time.

The SS Inserts should be more consistent, but you’d have to measure a bunch of different complete sets in order to make sure...
Old 01-16-2020, 11:25 PM #3
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
It is fairly common for freak inserts to be pretty inconsistent in size. The SS ones are traditionally more consistent, but when you add the length of the XL inserts it further complicates the equation. If you want absolute size accuracy, CPs, Dye barrels, Lapco and Eclipse are pretty safe options (none of them are 100%).
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:07 AM #4
cfl mike
Jesus is cool

cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cfl mike supports Team VICIOUS
cfl mike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice data collection. I agree with him above, I have had a bunch of Freak kits over the years and they all tend to inconsistent on sizing, but the SS version does tend to be better.

The good thing is that even if the sizing is not correct with the printed bore, at least they are all going up in a consistent manner, which to me matters more, because I always do the ball through the bore test to size my paint. In my experience, espically with the standard aluminum bores and the way they install in the back, they can easily bend, depending where you measure on used ones it can throw off your reading.

Another reason they should bring back the Unitechs, the bore was the barrel.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

Sell me your G6R (and Halo) upgrades/parts, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread....#post100100397
cfl mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:05 AM #5
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl mike View Post
Nice data collection. I agree with him above, I have had a bunch of Freak kits over the years and they all tend to inconsistent on sizing, but the SS version does tend to be better.

The good thing is that even if the sizing is not correct with the printed bore, at least they are all going up in a consistent manner, which to me matters more, because I always do the ball through the bore test to size my paint. In my experience, espically with the standard aluminum bores and the way they install in the back, they can easily bend, depending where you measure on used ones it can throw off your reading.

Another reason they should bring back the Unitechs, the bore was the barrel.
For sure. I am more of an overbore and call it good type of player these days when I am not rocking a cocker, but the fact that I cant trust the sizing to be within a reasonable tolerance, makes the Freak systems a no-go for me in terms of a kit. I have a very accurate LAPCO paint sizer that I still use frequently and if I want to grab an appropriate bore size to underbore with I don't really want to have to double-check my sizing after the fact and hope I have the right bore size for the job.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 AM #6
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

If the LAPCO Paint Sizer is very accurate then I’d bet that their Barrels are also very accurate to size.

I’ve always wanted to try LAPCO, especially since they are made in California (LA Paintball Co.).

Their Fuse Desert Edge Barrel System matches the P.E. Shaft 4/5 threading for the Tips and Backs.

Last edited by Mr. Charlie : 01-19-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM #7
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
If the LAPCO Paint Sizer is very accurate then I’d bet that their Barrels are also very accurate to size.

I’ve always wanted to try LAPCO, especially since they are made in California (LA Paintball Co.).

Their Fuse Desert Edge Barrel System matches the P.E. Shaft 4/5 threading for the Tips and Backs.
They are one of my favorites and yes, the sizing is typically excellent. Outside of being a little on the loud side, they are amazing. I would argue the quality and finish are even better than Dye's and they use a tougher anno process too.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 AM #8
Nicad
Common sense since '77!

Annual Supporting Member
Nicad is a founding member
Nicad works for a Paintball manufacturer
Just curious- Try checking the ID with only the "sharp" part of the ID blades? The method used in the photos looks like the wider base of the blades might be interfering with the measurement.

Like Deadlywind on FB!
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:14 PM #9
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
As Colin kinda stated, a digital caliper is not the way to measure the bore of an item. Starrett and Mit. and many others make telescoping gauges or split gauges for this, then you use a micrometer to measure the bore device.

A caliper is ballpark tool in the machineshop.

Not saying the advertised numbers are correct, but id ask someone with the proper means to redo this testing. Im no longer able to or i would.