Community Focus

Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 AM #2143
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Those of you that have the Encore -

Did DLX apply the same concept Empire did with the V16? The front guide seal is a 010 and the rear is a 011, providing an air sear effect acting on the ID of the bolt. I've tried looking at pictures and I can't tell if there's a size offset there or not. And since I haven't got one in my hands yet, I'm asking for verification.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2020, 02:10 PM #2144
Redsst

Redsst is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
I mean, there are a few small player complaints about the DSR that will obviously be fixed.
The only thing that stopped me from getting a DSR is the distance between the fore grip and trigger guard. Too close for me.
Redsst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM #2145
imped4now
BTFU

imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsst View Post
The only thing that stopped me from getting a DSR is the distance between the fore grip and trigger guard. Too close for me.
Same. My *only* complaints over the DSR are actually pretty minor - but my thumb doesn't fit between the frame and foregrip, the trigger guard could use some better (larger) radiusing, the foregrip cover needs to use a retention nub like the 170, the rear grip is a pain to remove (but that's Dye across the board), and it needs a SLAP-style ASA.

I think they'll be addressing most of those items.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:26 PM #2146
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Hopefully...

I believe all of the Dye Markers have the basically the same ergonomics since the DM14.

The front of the Reg or Battery housing to the Trigger Frame “tang” is the same on all of them.

Because the DSR uses the 9 volt in the front it cuts into the space between it and the Trigger Guard more than the Regulators on the DMs, M2 and M3 series.

I just wish it was like 1/4”-1/2” longer between the back of the Foregrip and Trigger Guard...

I was using my DSR+ this weekend and my friend picked it up during a break. The first thing he said was: “I can’t believe how small this is!”

And he shoots a CSR...
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 PM #2147
XKE

Annual Supporting Member
XKE plays in the APPA D1 division
I have been using Planet Eclipse markers exclusively for the last 5 years or so but gave an M3+ and DSR with flex bolt/can a run recently. I found the M3+ to be significantly rougher on paint than any of the Eclipse markers I had been using (160R, CS1, CS2, 170R, Lv1.5, Etha 2). I can forgive a lot about markers but paint handling is at the top of my list next to reliability as important attributes. The DSR handled brittle paint well but I too find the ergonomics to be a bit cramped. Not a huge fan of the UL frame in general and the foregrip/trigger guard spacing is too tight.

I really wanted to like the M3+ as I find the ergonomics of that marker to be nicer in my hands than the DSR but when playing with each back to back, I found the DSR to have a more natural point-shoot feel and to generally shoot nicer than the M3+ even when the M3+ wasn't smashing paint.

My takeaway is that the Etha 2 remains in my mind the best bang for your buck in paintball in the electronic marker category. The DSR is a very nice marker but a "DSR2" with improved ergonomics would elevate the platform to a place where it could challenge some of the PE markers.

There are other, non-perfomance based gripes for me about the DYE markers. The grip removal is stupid, the trigger adjustment system is sub-par, needing a nickel to change batteries is stupid. I am more interested in their offerings than I have been in a long time since they have finally strayed away from the fuse bolt but I still feel they have room for improvement.
XKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:30 PM #2148
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

The M3+ must have something wrong...

Mine (well, M3s with + parts) has been the best Marker I’ve ever had and seen for being gentle on Paint.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 PM #2149
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Actually got to play a little bit today with a small group ( 5 v 5 ). Prime XTS is dialed in and it was a machine gun today. Lanes are strong with the XTS. Maybe broke one ball, I believe it was only a barrel break. Thanks again to Impede with all his time and knowledge to help me get it right.

At the end I ran some paint through some recently gone through gats, the M3+ and CS2Pro. Light drills with the M3, snap shooting, and all is well. Really a shame itís not getting more use. The CS2PRO I maxed the eye delay, Planet Eclipse calls it something else, and basically I couldnít get a ball to break in it out of maybe 500 shots. Again itís a shame because it doesnít get enough use. Maybe Iíll keep it and install the mech frame.

@XKE,
Always good to hear what others think of all the guns out there. Ymmv adage really does apply to us in our sport, but really thank goodness for options.
-DBS Outdoor Paintball Park [ Ninjaball ]

2020 Setup:
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 3 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-Gtek M170R, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Dye R2 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ woodsball ]
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 PM #2150
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Nice Noa, glad you got the Prime XTS shooting well again.

I played today too, might be the last time for a little while...

I used the M3s+ and once again it shot perfectly. Other people had a few complaints.

Towards the end of the day shot my friend’s CSR. I like the way it shot more than my DSR but I didn’t like the Trigger Frame angle. I’m pretty sure that I m going to get a Geo IV once they have been out for a bit and I can get a used one lol.

Unless maybe the DSR2 comes out first?!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 AM #2151
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Thx Charlie.

Geo 4
Yeah the Geo 4 is growing on me. As small as it is the new grip angle is what I think will help seal the deal in me getting one. Also PEís soft tip bolt now being included is an attractive selling point. I was kind of smitten with that feature when it debuted in 2018. And itís a Geo.. iV Core with sft goodness that weíre familiar with, AA usage, seamless grip integration with the body, yeah I think itís going to be a real winner. And being offered at a lower price point then the other high ends I foresee this gun finding itís way into many a players hands.

Easy prediction- PE gun, a Geo to boot, = profit.

DSR 2
The DSR 2 I am hoping Dye gives lots of love to. They could probably get away with continuing to sell the DSR 1 with all the upgrades included, but at a new lower price point, while touting the DSR 2 as a legit gateway marker into the land of the high end giants- but at the same price point as it was introduced. If it doesnít include some improvements, ( even with some snazzy new tech ) in places like the trigger, asa, front grip, etc, itís going to be another challenge for it to be taken seriously again. Itís a real bummer that the DSR is such a sleeper still and gets passed over when players start comparing it to its closest competitors.

Dye needs to test the ever living **** out of the marker before releasing it into the wild. Make sure QC is on point too. At the very least I think I could see the DSR 2 absolutely crushing the mid tier level boss, the mighty Gtek 170R, if done right! Dyeís off to a phenomenal start with the M3+Ďs dominant performance in Vegas, so why not end the year right with a bang in the DSR 2 and continue their success? It seems like I choose to collect the most current high ends available, that seems to be the theme of my collection, but the DSR 2 will most likely have a spot reserved for it in that collection.

Misc
Getting the Luxe X in undeniable paint handling shape is my next little project, I mean we have more time lately... After using the Ice with Encore engine the idea of going back to a more efficient Luxe platform has its appeal. Probably not a whole lot to do but Iím sure Impede has some ideas.

Lanes. Who did it best? ( in my observation )
-CS2Pro- large shot grouping.
-M3+- decent shot grouping, pretty tight.
-Prime XTS- very tight, small shot grouping.
-Luxe X- straight line like, side to side, up and down, extremely tight shot grouping, like a 5Ē diameter from across the field. WINNER

2020 Setup:
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 3 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-Gtek M170R, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Dye R2 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ woodsball ]
Old 03-23-2020, 05:40 AM #2152
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

These luxe were built for lanen’, and thats just what theyll do 🙂 glad to gear the xts is finally dialed.
J.J.Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:45 AM #2153
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Were you using the same exact Barrel on each Marker?

I agree with your thoughts on the DSR/DSR 2.

I think people pass it over because the DSR costs ~$150 more than the other “mid-range” Markers it is competing against and you pretty much need to get the Upgrades (Gen 4 Eye Pipe, Flex Face Bolt, and Lockdown 2 Feedneck) or you will break Paint and not be able to use any Loader that isn’t Dye lol. So you end up spending more money for the DSR that doesn’t really do anything better than the 170r or Shocker XLS.

Add in the fact that the ergonomics are the worst in class and it’s hard to make a case for the DSR anymore...
Old 03-24-2020, 07:14 PM #2154
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Those of you that have the Encore -

Did DLX apply the same concept Empire did with the V16? The front guide seal is a 010 and the rear is a 011, providing an air sear effect acting on the ID of the bolt. I've tried looking at pictures and I can't tell if there's a size offset there or not. And since I haven't got one in my hands yet, I'm asking for verification.
Iíll check on that this week and see if I can get you an answer. Also need to do that check on the XTS bolt fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.Strom View Post
These luxe were built for lanení, and thats just what theyll do 🙂 glad to gear the xts is finally dialed.
Ty, Jj. And this makes me want to go back and watch some NXL games of Heat using the Ice and the X. Also was checking out Jason Edwards ďHateĒ Luxe X setup and it looks like heís got a long body haymaker reg from powerhouse on a 77/4500 ninja SL2. Iíll watch Damageís vids too. Iím stealing a play from the journeymenís toolbox and will explore eye delay ( on all markers now ) ... think itís going to help the Luxe X the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Were you using the same exact Barrel on each Marker?

I agree with your thoughts on the DSR/DSR 2.

I think people pass it over because the DSR costs ~$150 more than the other ďmid-rangeĒ Markers it is competing against and you pretty much need to get the Upgrades (Gen 4 Eye Pipe, Flex Face Bolt, and Lockdown 2 Feedneck) or you will break Paint and not be able to use any Loader that isnít Dye lol. So you end up spending more money for the DSR that doesnít really do anything better than the 170r or Shocker XLS.

Add in the fact that the ergonomics are the worst in class and itís hard to make a case for the DSR anymore...
Canít use the same barrel due to ion/impulse threads. Just judging from the lanes Iíve seen last year and up till now I can definitely notice which gun is always hammering out the tightest lanes. Paint is obviously the biggest factor, but I shoot so much paint and play so many points that I feel like Iíve got a good eye for it. One balling with each gun is nothing, they all appear super smooth and accurate. Itís when Iím in ramp and can see down field how consistent the gun is, or how big or small the shot grouping is.

Without a doubt the Luxe X has the tightest lanes Iíve seen since my days with the Shocker SFT. I know others have said the same thing as well, and that tells me that DLX is able to reproduce that kind of performance.

Ice vs X
The X improves on the Ice platform in these areas, some the Ice gave me problems with:

-trigger. Uses the xls design and feels great and eliminates sticking.
-max flow reg. Better consistency and easier disassembly. No more accidents.
-efficiency.
-disassembly design.

My gripes with the X.. the quality going from the Ice to the X, it went down imo. Itís like they wanted to cut costs and they got a little cheap. Gaps in the way the back cap fits, eye covers have gaps, those things bug the **** out of me. The initial bugs were a inconvenient, something I wasnít happy with. I did get a great out of box experience performance wise, but a month into it it started giving me problems.

The Ice with Encore kinda makes you forget any shortcomings that the Ice ever had. Every recent practice Iíve wanted to use it at least a few points but I need to dial in with my main shooter. I had some minor problems with my Ice in ththe past but for the most part it was really solid. Now that the new engine gives the prospect of even more reliability and really does have a super satisfying shot, Iím starting to like the Ice better ( then the X ). But... DLX I hope makes the Ice 2.0. Basically I want the Encore in the X body and I want the quality of the Ice back. I want everything to fit flush and have zero gaps.

Until that happens Iíll continue to use my Luxe guns, but Iíll have a small amount of reluctance. Iíll either use it in practice and in recreational settings because I donít need to take the game so serious. When I pay money to compete I need to have the gun Iím most confident in, and any nagging or negative thoughts associated with it will just throw my game off, I wonít be able to focus as much.

2020 Setup:
Old 03-24-2020, 08:27 PM #2155
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
I would like to see these gaps on your X Noa, both of my Luxe Xs have excellent fit and finish; as good or better than my ICEs.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 PM #2156
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

You should get an AutoCocker Freak XL Back so you can use the same exact Barrel on every Marker.

That’s the only way to truly see if the Marker itself is actually more consistent while shooting lanes.

Because I wonder if the slight differences between the Barrel Bore Sizes is contributing to your perceptions?

Also, are all of those Markers broken-in?

That can also affect the consistency as you know...
Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 AM #2157
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
I’ll send you pics soon, Kevin.

Charlie, just going with the eye test on this one. I don’t know if it’s being lazy or just the confidence in knowing, but after paint not much is going to make a difference in accuracy and consistency.

2020 Setup:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 PM #2158
ApexEight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xowICya2A8

Is this our boy Noa in the tiger stripe jersey?!

Video is sick. Event looked fun.

It's been 3 weeks since I've played and I'm going insane!
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 PM #2159
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Well my newest kick is going to be an Emek sleeper. I have been an enormous fan of the Etha 2 and with the recent performance upgrades (primarily trigger based) this is a no brainier for me. I have a hAir 45 valve on order, soft tip bolt and will be snagging a new Inception Designs Fang trigger as soon as they get back in stock.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:37 PM #2160
MagsRgod

Annual Supporting Member
MagsRgod owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
OT slightly.

Have any of you guys used the ID RIP frame? How did you like it compared to the normal slide frame?
MagsRgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:38 PM #2161
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagsRgod View Post
OT slightly.

Have any of you guys used the ID RIP frame? How did you like it compared to the normal slide frame?
Yep. They are really nice. The main niche of the RIP is the ability to swap back and forth between slider without having to change your hose configuration but it is also a really nice hinge frame. I would say it easily competes with the best hinges out there. Well worth buying in my opinion.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM #2162
J.J.Strom
Slug Life #23

Two thumbs up for rip hinge.
Love the feel of mine. You have this spot behind the trigger where you can sort of choke up and place your middle finger, using only your trigger finger up top, in which case is sort of feels like a nice slide. Three different tension settings. And as stated the ability to switch between slider and hinge without changing anything. My only gripe is that i cant use my stock beavertail.

Last edited by J.J.Strom : 04-06-2020 at 08:28 PM.
J.J.Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:53 AM #2163
Intern1

Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Intern1 is Legendary
Intern1 supports Ninja Paintball
I really like my RIO frame as well. Unfortunately, I've only got a chance to dry fire it since I just recently got it and all of the fields are closed at the moment. It feels very comfortable and I was able to install it without having to touch the timing which is nice.

Intern1 is online now   Reply With Quote