PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-30-2020, 02:09 AM #1
stevensuarez

stevensuarez owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Dsr

I’m looking to buy a dsr but I’m not completely sure because I hear about many paint breaking issues and maybe even leaks. I live in Cali so weather is good. Should I get this gun or am I better off with something elss( also are there any must have upgrades for it ) thanks for helping
stevensuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2020, 03:15 AM #2
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
The leaking issue was only a problem with a few of the original DSRs that were first made (almost 3 years ago now), every DSR should have the updated parts.

As far as breaking paint, the DSR is very good at Paint handling, just as good as Gamma Cored Markers. I believe that most DSRs come with the Gen 4 Eye Pipe, you can just use tape for the “Flex Flow Can”, then really all you need is the Flex Face Bolt - and that’s really only necessary if you get fragile Paint.

In the end it’s up to you...

I know you can’t go to a Field and shoot them but that’s really the only way to see what will be best for you. I’d recommend holding or shooting all of your choices first if at all possible...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:55 AM #3
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Two tournament seasons and didn’t break one ball with the DSR. And almost one whole season was with things just stock. Tournament paint in all the kinds of weather you could imagine and I never had to swab or squeegee my barrel once. I’ve got just about every high end out right now except a couple, and have for the last five years plus, and in my experience nothing handles paint ( even the most brittle ) quit like the DSR.
-DBS Outdoor Paintball Park [ Ninjaball ]

2020 Setup:
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 3 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-Gtek M170R, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Dye R2 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ woodsball ]
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM #4
PballGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Bo View Post
Two tournament seasons and didnít break one ball with the DSR. And almost one whole season was with things just stock. Tournament paint in all the kinds of weather you could imagine and I never had to swab or squeegee my barrel once. Iíve got just about every high end out right now except a couple, and have for the last five years plus, and in my experience nothing handles paint ( even the most brittle ) quit like the DSR.
Did you do the ďnewĒ blue eye pipe and ďnewĒ bolt? Iíve been torn between a few guns. 170r, dsr, lv1/1.5/lvr. Would really like a LV2 if they ever decide to come out with one.
PballGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:24 AM #5
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PballGod View Post
Did you do the ďnewĒ blue eye pipe and ďnewĒ bolt? Iíve been torn between a few guns. 170r, dsr, lv1/1.5/lvr. Would really like a LV2 if they ever decide to come out with one.
Most of 2018 I ran the older eye pipe with red parts and the stock bolt. Never gave me a problem and never broke paint. I did get the new blue part eye pipe but it wasnít compatible with the flat face bolt, it was hitting the detents and wouldnít fully cycle and eventually just cut off the detents. Once I got the flex face bolt, then it worked fine with the blue part eye pipe.

Flex face bolt, can, and gen4 eye pipe, it shot smoother, never broke paint still, and my confidence in the gun just grew even more. If I had the discipline to stop buying the latest new high end gun Iíd just stick with the DSR. Every time itís been reliable and usually better on paint then anything else. Every time I have an issue with something else, out comes the DSR to rescue my day and keep me on the field..

After experiencing some hiccups I rebuilt the marker, oring wise, and that was after two solid years of play and somewhere around 200k plus on the shot counter. Since the ďpit stopĒ itís been back on reliable street and workhorse status ( when needed ). Iím completely dialed in with the shot too. I kick myself for not just sticking with it, itís the best gun Iíve ever owned really.

2020 Setup:
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 3 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-Gtek M170R, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Dye R2 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ woodsball ]
Old 04-03-2020, 10:32 AM #6
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Yeah, for as cheap as they are used they are a good deal.

You can just use tape on the can (aka the DSR “Bolt” Mod) for the exact same affect as the “Flex Flow Can”.

Here is a link: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5969391

Read the whole thread.

The Flex Flow Can closes one of the First Stage airflow holes in the Can making the Bolt move slower at first to make it more gentle on Paint and it also makes the Marker shoot a little bit smoother and quieter.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 PM #7
jubsz

I had opened one of the more recent Chopping/leaking threads. I didn't want to update and bump up the post but I probably should add closure to it. I bought my whole setup, gun/tank, everything used. It came with the flex can, stock bolt, old red detent eye pipe. First day out with the gun, I had a beak in the hopper from running and shaking balls around that I had to take apart and clean. Cleaned it out, went out again and had a break either in the feed neck or breech. In the next few playing days, I had a few barrel/breech breaks here and there and some leaking from various places. When I found leaks, I'd find white chalky build-up on the o-rings, clean it out and re-lube. I was re-lubing with DOW33 at that time. I researched that the residue I was finding were calcium deposits, likely from moist air in the tank or fill-station. Every time I'd clean the bolt, a few shots in would show the same deposits.

I then tore apart the whole DSR, down to the solenoid and found a large amount of calcium deposits in the solenoid. I figured it was coming from my tank and tore the reg off the tank. I cleaned it out, not finding as much as I had expected but still some deposits. I then bought a medium repair kit, soft tip bolt, gen 4 eye pipe, dye's newest slick lube, tore apart the entire marker, replaced every O-ring in it, and lubed it up with the dye stuff. I wanted to basically start fresh with all Dye recommendations completed.

Since then, I've shot about 2 cases through it in < 45 degree weather. I have not had a single ball break and the marker has been great. No more residue build up and no worries at all. My only complaint is that the FPS have not been as consistent as I'd like. It's been reasonable but not the +/- 5 fps that I'd really expect out of this marker. I attribute it mostly to mediocre, inconsistent paint and maybe the marker not being broken in. I tried to overbore the paint a bit but still have a lot of oblong balls that hang up in the barrel for the largest size I have (.691). Either way, I got all fixed up and the root cause of my issue seemed to be calcium deposits in the tank.

Long story short, I would not be deterred by the leak/chop stuff. The DSR seemed to have a large following on here and the engineer behind it used to be pretty active on these boards. Those were big plusses to me when buying the marker. As mentioned earlier, most of the leaking threads when the marker had just released were related to pieces/o-rings that have since been updated. If you can, hold the marker in your hands before buying and make sure you like it. I think the ergos could be better but would not deter me from buying. There is just enough space between trigger frame/foregrip for me but I'd prefer another 1/4 inch. I think the simplicity of design in the marker is great and expect it to be reliable from here out. I'm happy with my purchase and basically spent what a new DSR would cost for my used gun, totally refreshed, with upgraded parts.

Last edited by jubsz : 04-03-2020 at 03:38 PM.
jubsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:49 PM #8
PballGod

Quote:
Most of 2018 I ran the older eye pipe with red parts and the stock bolt. Never gave me a problem and never broke paint. I did get the new blue part eye pipe but it wasnít compatible with the flat face bolt, it was hitting the detents and wouldnít fully cycle and eventually just cut off the detents. Once I got the flex face bolt, then it worked fine with the blue part eye pipe.

Flex face bolt, can, and gen4 eye pipe, it shot smoother, never broke paint still, and my confidence in the gun just grew even more. If I had the discipline to stop buying the latest new high end gun Iíd just stick with the DSR. Every time itís been reliable and usually better on paint then anything else. Every time I have an issue with something else, out comes the DSR to rescue my day and keep me on the field..

After experiencing some hiccups I rebuilt the marker, oring wise, and that was after two solid years of play and somewhere around 200k plus on the shot counter. Since the ďpit stopĒ itís been back on reliable street and workhorse status ( when needed ). Iím completely dialed in with the shot too. I kick myself for not just sticking with it, itís the best gun Iíve ever owned really.
Thanks for the response. Have you played with it in cold weather? I heard just turning up the dwell the gun works fine. Is that true? Iím in the process of moving to upstate NY and well, it gets cold...
Old 04-03-2020, 06:18 PM #9
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PballGod View Post
Thanks for the response. Have you played with it in cold weather? I heard just turning up the dwell the gun works fine. Is that true? Iím in the process of moving to upstate NY and well, it gets cold...
I play year round rain or shine so the DSR was put through every season and type of weather imaginable, except extreme types- storms or more. 2018 we had our season opener in Ninjaball, the rain and humidity was all there, and the paint suffered, guns were going down like crazy. My teammate who played both D4 and then D5 that day, he went through 7 guns! Shockers, Geos, CS1ís, those went down, and my DSR not only had zero problems, but zero breaks that day.

We ended up taking first place in D4 and I probably shot a total of 4 cases through the gun minimum. So the DSR was utterly clutch for me and I couldnít believe how solid and reliable it was.

I donít remember upping my Dwell during this whole time, but I will probably try it now. Consistency is supposed to improve, and if anything else does as well, then great. My DSR was sent to John, the guy who designed the marker, back in 2017. When it returned in January 2018 with all the updates, it came back like a new gun. Fast forward to January 2020 and that is when I started noticing some hiccups. Figured my baby needed some love and since then sheís been back to normal, which is a phenomenal state of performance. The gun has proven itself over and over and really starting to get the recognition it deserves. Players started to really notice last year.

2020 Setup:
Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 PM #10
ironyusa
John - conscious paradox

ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jubsz, make sure that the back oring on the valve (reaction rod) is a 90 duro or you will experience some inconsistency. Another point on the DSR to check is the oring on the inside of reg top hat... It needs to be 90 duro as well.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM #11
jubsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Jubsz, make sure that the back oring on the valve (reaction rod) is a 90 duro or you will experience some inconsistency. Another point on the DSR to check is the oring on the inside of reg top hat... It needs to be 90 duro as well.

So, you're referring to the purple #015 on the back of the reaction rod? I'm assuming N90 is the durometer reading and that is the correct o-ring?

I'm not sure which one you're referring to for the reg. I have the yellow, updated, o-ring on the inside of what I believe has been referred to as the isolator plate. I have a green #012 N70 which seals it to the housing. I'm guessing that the o-rings that seal static areas have little to no effect, so the #012 is a non-factor?

I have a blue #014 N70 on the plunger piece that is sprung. Any guidance/pictures would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
jubsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:40 PM #12
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

It sounds like you have all of the correct Orings installed.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:23 AM #13
PballGod

Quote:
I play year round rain or shine so the DSR was put through every season and type of weather imaginable, except extreme types- storms or more. 2018 we had our season opener in Ninjaball, the rain and humidity was all there, and the paint suffered, guns were going down like crazy. My teammate who played both D4 and then D5 that day, he went through 7 guns! Shockers, Geos, CS1ís, those went down, and my DSR not only had zero problems, but zero breaks that day.

We ended up taking first place in D4 and I probably shot a total of 4 cases through the gun minimum. So the DSR was utterly clutch for me and I couldnít believe how solid and reliable it was.

I donít remember upping my Dwell during this whole time, but I will probably try it now. Consistency is supposed to improve, and if anything else does as well, then great. My DSR was sent to John, the guy who designed the marker, back in 2017. When it returned in January 2018 with all the updates, it came back like a new gun. Fast forward to January 2020 and that is when I started noticing some hiccups. Figured my baby needed some love and since then sheís been back to normal, which is a phenomenal state of performance. The gun has proven itself over and over and really starting to get the recognition it deserves. Players started to really notice last year.