PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM #1
pvn

pvn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pvn supports Ninja Paintball
Mvp V1.5

Since Photobuckets update broke this thread I figured I'd take a minute to do some clean up and consolidate the evolution of the MVP heavy core hammer and light blast guide spring.

To start F1 resolved one of the issues, the MVP would cock before the bolt cleared the feedneck. Not a huge issue but would result in ball getting broken in the breach and/or double feeding.

After Eric Crandall posted about a new sear being available for the MVP, I ordered a new MVP from Ryan DeRose. Figure if F1 is going to support the existing MVP platform, Id support them and buy a new marker.

The new sear corrects the cocking point, bolt clears the feedneck before it cocks. Better, the new sear is backwards compatible with existing MVP's.

New marker showed up today. Figured Id shoot a few rounds while I wait for my replacement Blast Guide Spring to arrive from Grainger. I have found a lighter spring that gets rid of the fart and allows me to use a CCM hammer spring to reduce the cocking force.

Was shocked when this new, stock, straight out of the box MVP's first 5 shots: 282, 280, 279, 282, 282. AND no fart, stock.

F1 keeps knocking it out of the park. No clue what they changed inside (Ill figure it out later), just know it works.

Well done Field One.

Shooting Video:

https://youtu.be/8F3RbcSMcMM

Next is the Light Blast Guide Spring. Available from Grainger, 1NDL7. By itself it reduces the valve bounce, reduces the input pressure which results in a quieter shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcYpzinYF_M

The heavy core was the result of work done by Vintage Paintball (adding the oring to reduce valve bounce), Sanchez Machine (building the first core), etc. The key part of this is it uses the stock BL hammer so there are no issues with sear engagement, skipped shots, trigger relief, etc. I tried for months to get Sanchez to work with me (hell a returned phone call of email would have been nice) before sourcing the cores elsewhere.

I will sell the cores and springs. Please understand because I did not design the core I do not feel comfortable making money off it. I sell the core and light spring at my cost. Machine shop charges, orings, springs, shipping, tooling to modify the stock hammer etc.

The result of doing all three mods list above is a trigger that is very crisp, a shot that is barely above a whisper, and zero valve bounce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZI8ozYIj0

There are several of the heavy cores out in the field at this point. I've asked everyone who has them to post their finding (good or bad) to this thread. Those start on page 4 of this thread.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by pvn : 09-12-2017 at 04:57 PM.
pvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 PM #2
Frank_W

Frank_W has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
That sounds much less farty! Very nice!
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 PM #3
pvn

Last edited by pvn : 09-12-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 PM #4
honculada
Austere **** Poster

has been a member for 10 years
honculada is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
honculada is Immortal
honculada supports Ninja Paintball
That's crazy that the new owners actually listened to customers. I'm glad they fixed it. I might buy one some day.

Guys, please be nice to Canadians. They can't tell time because they believe in celsius.

"Originally posted by CCM CHICK: LoL! There is soooo something wrong with you! ;)"

It's not narcissism if it's also an inspiration.
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM #5
Frank_W

Just ordered a new sear from them. I didn't really have a problem with the original timing, but what the hell... lol

If you open up the trigger again, would you mind posting up a picture of the sear?

You're also inspiring me to play around with the springing. Have you played around with a many different combinations of springs?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:33 PM #6
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_W View Post
Just ordered a new sear from them. I didn't really have a problem with the original timing, but what the hell... lol

If you open up the trigger again, would you mind posting up a picture of the sear?

You're also inspiring me to play around with the springing. Have you played around with a many different combinations of springs?
I've spent a few hundred buying springs for my MVP, CCM's, Inception Pumps and Autocockers, etc. I'm getting pretty good at guesstimating spring tension lbs/in by feel ��

The 1NDL7 from Grainger is 6.59 lbs, about half of the stock blast guide spring. Used in combination with stock hammer and a stock ccm hammer spring, your reg is 3/8-1/2 from the bottom to achieve 280 FPS.

Very light pump stroke, quiet, and no fart. The only issue, make sure I cock the marker before airing up or it will leak like a CCM.

Edit: Guess I didn't really answer your question. Yes I purchased ever spring possible from Grainger (was the easiest to cross reference spring rate, spring dia. OD, Length, and ID). They varied in spring rate from 3.? LBS to 10.? Lbs. on the hammer side I used a full madman spring kit worth of springs and clipped each to vary the tensions. Taking each to the point of none use. In the end, the stock ccm hammer spring was perfect.

Last edited by pvn : 04-27-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM #7
pvn

Btw with that spring combo, shooting 280 FPS, I was able to get 215-225 shots off a 13/3000 tank with an output pressure of 325 before drop off.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM #8
Frank_W

Thanks. That's really good info. I'll pick up the same 1NDL7 spring. I'm sure I still have a couple CCM hammer springs laying around.

Do you find autotriggering to be easier with the lighter spring setup? That's been the only real downside to the MVP for me, CCM's are just so much easier to autotrigger when you really want to throw some paint.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM #9
pvn

Last edited by pvn : 09-12-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM #10
Milkstache

Milkstache owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Milkstache owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Milkstache supports Team VICIOUS
Very cool. Thank-you for the write up.
Milkstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:22 PM #11
pvn

Last edited by pvn : 09-12-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM #12
Murz
2 FRAAMEEZZZ!!

plays in the NXL
Murz owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Murz is attending Decay of Nations VII
So am I understanding it correctly that we can just buy a used MVP (old version), upgrade the new sear and spring, and the gun will shoot with zero issues??
Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 PM #13
pvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murz View Post
So am I understanding it correctly that we can just buy a used MVP (old version), upgrade the new sear and spring, and the gun will shoot with zero issues??
Correct. Pretty friggen cool of F1 to make the new sear backwards compatible allowing that to be the case, eh?

I was shocked when Eric originally posted about the new sear...

F1 will Continue to get my $$ in the future (least what's left after Simon is done pilfering my wallet )
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM #14
Frank_W

Wow, only half a turn! I wonder what the pressure is running at.

I just ordered the blast guide spring from Grainger. I should have mine re-tuned in time for Supergame, assuming that I even have the light MVP spring...

When I ordered the new sear, they were saying that it needs a little fine tuning to get it shooting just right (could include some filing/sanding). They'll let you buy it and do it yourself, but they recommend that you send in your MVP and let them install it.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 PM #15
pvn

Quote:
Wow, only half a turn! I wonder what the pressure is running at.

I just ordered the blast guide spring from Grainger. I should have mine re-tuned in time for Supergame, assuming that I even have the light MVP spring...

When I ordered the new sear, they were saying that it needs a little fine tuning to get it shooting just right (could include some filing/sanding). They'll let you buy it and do it yourself, but they recommend that you send in your MVP and let them install it.
Or you could just do what I did and buy a new marker 😊
Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 AM #16
spece108
Tiffany

I ordered the spring from grainger too. $10+ for shipping. They rake us non 48ers. Now to F1. Hope they have an ok site.

edit: not much on there. Dropped them a line. We shall see.

Last edited by spece108 : 04-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 AM #17
Frank_W

It was $10 shipping for me too, if that makes you feel any better...

Just give F1 a call on Monday.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 AM #18
honculada
Austere **** Poster

honculada is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
honculada is Immortal
honculada supports Ninja Paintball
Make you feel any better ups wanted $2300 to ship my fat tire bike to me.

Guys, please be nice to Canadians. They can't tell time because they believe in celsius.

"Originally posted by CCM CHICK: LoL! There is soooo something wrong with you! ;)"

It's not narcissism if it's also an inspiration.
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:46 PM #19
pvn

Quote:
It was $10 shipping for me too, if that makes you feel any better...

Just give F1 a call on Monday.
Set the pickup to your local Grainger. That way you do not pay for shipping 😊
Old 04-30-2017, 02:52 PM #20
pvn

Last edited by pvn : 09-12-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 PM #21
Frank_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by honculada View Post
Make you feel any better ups wanted $2300 to ship my fat tire bike to me.
Holy smoke! Must have been some really, really fat tires.