Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2020, 07:42 PM #1
Jbabycsx

Biggest Gimmick?

Being new to the sport, what’s the biggest gimmick in paintball? (Rifled barrels, Apex, etc..)
Jbabycsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 PM #2
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Probably rifled Barrels, although some people say that straight rifled Barrels are good for First Strike rounds.

The Flatline Barrel is gimmicky, it works but it’s hard to be “accurate” with it and it needs really good Paint to work well. The Apex system is better than the Flatline but a similar concept.

Just get a good quality Barrel Kit with different bore sizes. The Paint is so inconsistent nowadays I always recommend overboring.

I’m not sure that there are many gimmicks left in Paintball really, besides everything still being super expensive lol.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM #3
Paul77
Can't find my old account

Annual Supporting Member
Paul77 supports DLX Technology
hd lens's, the term "more accurate", cockers shoot farther, new and improved paint,

All my weird random paintball parts for sale on eBay feel free to PM me offers on here.

NIB Black Grill Visor Kit, pm me
Paul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:03 PM #4
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Living Legends XI
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
dreadmuppet is Legendary
dreadmuppet supports Ninja Paintball
Empire's HUD for the EVS mask.

Instagram * NHW Paintball * Facebook

"Originally posted by Joshisanalligator: buddy, we're on the internet. just be thankful there's a central topic to this argument"

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 PM #5
Jbabycsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
Empire's HUD for the EVS mask.
I looked into the HUD system but couldn’t find much on it. Is it supposed to relay info about your marker and things like that?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM #6
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Haha

Is Empire’s worse than Dye’s?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 PM #7
Jbabycsx

So I finally watched a video on the HUD. Seems like a good idea in theory but in reality unless you’re playing on a huge field in a scenario game with teammates that also have the hud and you all have a compatible marker it just seems like a novelty item. I would like to have a com system built into a mask. That might be useful in some cases.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 PM #8
Paul77

Annual Supporting Member
i so forgot about that hud system. id be surprised if there is more than 100 of them out there. the have removed all mention of it from their website.

All my weird random paintball parts for sale on eBay feel free to PM me offers on here.

Last edited by Paul77 : 02-13-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:21 AM #9
cfl mike
Jesus is cool

has been a member for 10 years
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cfl mike supports Team VICIOUS
cfl mike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Well heres the thing about the barrels, they are gimmicky in that you will very likely never use them, but there are a couple designs that do have benefits.

For instance those barrels with the straight rifling, that's for use in poor conditions like snow, mud, water, or really bad paint. It does work but like I said, who is actually going to play in those conditions?

The Flatline barrel, this is one that has been around for ages. The truth: It does technically make your paintballs go farther than usual. In my experience though, accuracy stunk, which kind of defeated the purpose. The Apex works the same way as the Flatline with the difference being it can curve paintballs at long ranges, but again its inaccurate. I doubt in real play anyone is going to sit there and dial one of those in.

Since I have come back to paintball recently the most gimmicky things I have seen are what they are talking about, the "HUDs" or assistants. Its not to say that maybe in the future, when screen technology gets developed more it couldn't be useful, but for now they are the *** of a bad joke.

The other thing that I still see that is gimmicky, but has evolved over the years; is all that "tactical" paintball stuff. I kind of get the mag-fed thing, especially with FS rounds; but the Picatinny rails, scopes, and the lot is...….its just gross.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

Sell me your G6R (and Halo) upgrades/parts, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread....#post100100397
cfl mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:00 AM #10
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Living Legends XI
dreadmuppet is Legendary
dreadmuppet supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
So I finally watched a video on the HUD. Seems like a good idea in theory but in reality unless you’re playing on a huge field in a scenario game with teammates that also have the hud and you all have a compatible marker it just seems like a novelty item. I would like to have a com system built into a mask. That might be useful in some cases.
Exactly. IF you are playing a scenario, and IF your entire team has it as well, and IF someone has actually made a map of that field for the HUD, it is amazing.

Instagram * NHW Paintball * Facebook

"Originally posted by Joshisanalligator: buddy, we're on the internet. just be thankful there's a central topic to this argument"

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 AM #11
Paul77

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfl mike View Post
The other thing that I still see that is gimmicky, but has evolved over the years; is all that "tactical" paintball stuff. I kind of get the mag-fed thing, especially with FS rounds; but the Picatinny rails, scopes, and the lot is...….its just gross.
its funny because for years and years, we spent all our time trying to distance ourselves from the "war" look. we took totally got out of replica markers, got rid of red paint. and life was good. we played paintball. now everything we got rid of is back and larger than ever. red paint is back, and milsim is more realistic than ever.

Not my bag, but some people think they need to live out their GI joe fantasies. you can play woods ball without looking like you came from a gov. surplus auction.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:23 PM #12
Jbabycsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
Exactly. IF you are playing a scenario, and IF your entire team has it as well, and IF someone has actually made a map of that field for the HUD, it is amazing.
Too many IFs for me to spend that kind of money.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:15 AM #13
cfl mike
Jesus is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul77 View Post
its funny because for years and years, we spent all our time trying to distance ourselves from the "war" look. we took totally got out of replica markers, got rid of red paint. and life was good. we played paintball. now everything we got rid of is back and larger than ever. red paint is back, and milsim is more realistic than ever.

Not my bag, but some people think they need to live out their GI joe fantasies. you can play woods ball without looking like you came from a gov. surplus auction.
You know its funny you say that, the other week I was checking out paint prices on the interwebs, and I came across that "Blood Paint". I could have sworn like every field 10-15 years ago banned those.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

Sell me your G6R (and Halo) upgrades/parts, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:38 PM #14
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

I got one:

Luxe X Tool-less Grip Frame

Really?!

It’s only 2 screws for any other Marker.

I also could see this being a point of wear and causing problems if the latches wear or get loose. Seems like a bad/gimmicky idea to me.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 AM #15
cfl mike
Jesus is cool

These days its tool-less everything! Tool-less tools!

I was all on board the tool-less train when they did it for the loaders, but on the markers (and heaven forbid they do tool-less air tanks) its nice for maybe the eyes and battery, but the frame and ASA, terrible idea. I feel like most people are competent enough to take 2 screws off, I hope.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:50 AM #16
Lee.g

It’s hard to say on something like that. Most designs now are either geared towards functionality, or towards personal preference.

If I remember correctly, about 15-20 years ago, barrels with rifling started to come out, and that was kind of gimmicky, since rifling doesn’t work for round balls, but that rifling serves purpose now with first strike rounds. I will say the Flatline barrel was pretty gimmicky, but that’s a pretty old piece of hardware now, as well. It was designed to put backspin on the ball, to shoot straighter and farther, but that thing shoots in every direction except for straight...I’ve never used it personally, but I’ve heard similar things about the apex barrels.

The HUD’s were a total failure, but I’d say that was more so poor execution, rather than a gimmick. Very cool in theory, but real life got in the way. This is paintball, not Halo.

I saw a couple people saying mil sim, but that’s not really a gimmick since there are tons of people that love to play scenario ball. Back when I was a kid first playing, I thought it was bad ***. Kids love to “play army.” Now, as a veteran, I think it’s kind of weird seeing full grown adults being die hard about it, but to each their own in game play.

That being said, paint grenades, in my opinion, have to be THE biggest gimmick. I’ve never seen one actually work, ever.

On the consumer side of things, for the used market, I’d have to say “og proflex’s” and Sandana’s. Used, sweaty, and outdated colored plastic and a piece of cloth are not worth hundreds to thousands of dollars, and nothing anyone says to me will ever change my mind.
Lee.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:34 PM #17
Paul77

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
I got one:

Luxe X Tool-less Grip Frame

Really?!

It’s only 2 screws for any other Marker.

I also could see this being a point of wear and causing problems if the latches wear or get loose. Seems like a bad/gimmicky idea to me.
Still so much hate towards the X, as an owner of one of the very first anniversary X’s I have to say the toolless frame, board, battery thing is just fantastic. It is very well executed and has no give or flex at all after one season using it as my only electro.