ReplyNews Ups

Old 08-27-2021, 12:39 PM #22
inertstatic

inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
inertstatic supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by midman112 View Post
I had this same thought. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm not a parent with a 12 or 13 year old kid with an interest in paintball and the first video I am seeing is a bunch of guys saying **** a lot. If we want to spread the sport and bring in younger players having professional players on screen shouting obscenities isn't the way to do it imo.
Ive been saying this for years. Paintball is not the "counter culture" activity it was 20-30 years ago. There are people who want it to stay the same, but the truth is that there is no growth in that. I realize that this might not be meters/Astras goal, but the principal is there. They wanted this tourney to be more watchable, so make it more watchable, by everyone.

Does the NBA and NFL have fines for players that swear ?

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
inertstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2021, 01:43 PM #23
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 plays in the MiLP
midman112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertstatic View Post
Rules change all the time in those leagues but I do know that in the NFL players were able to be fined for "excessive profanity" if deemed so by an official as well as "profanity directed at a game official". Pretty sure Rex Ryan was on the receiving end of the latter rule on more than one occasion during his tenure with the Jets organization.
Pr1me Nick Hall #7
midman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:05 PM #24
AliasDave05

has been a member for 10 years
I agree with everything (dr) said. I want to reiterate the bunkers. Do away with the giant bricks and the wedges. Maybe keep 2 wedges, 1 for each side of the field and 1 giant brick that is almost used exclusively on the 50 yard line, like the old X and W wall.
LOVE the limited paint format. It'll allow more players a chance to play more often and at cheaper costs. We'll see if the powers at be will ever take the hint. The people that make the rules also own the paint companies.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:05 PM #25
xX sourMiLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertstatic View Post
Ive been saying this for years. Paintball is not the "counter culture" activity it was 20-30 years ago. There are people who want it to stay the same, but the truth is that there is no growth in that. I realize that this might not be meters/Astras goal, but the principal is there. They wanted this tourney to be more watchable, so make it more watchable, by everyone.

I doubt the pros get fined for swearing unless it's directed towards an official. NBA games I've been to, you hear them dropping N bombs the whole game.

It's a great start, different from the PBAccess and GoSports but I do like the overview and split screen of the breakouts of both teams, the other productions provided. I enjoy the feeling of sitting on the sideline but a paintball field is huge with so much going on. It would be cool to see eventually one video with commentary and another without. Please if there's commentary, try and showcase future talent. I would love to hear other voices other then Matty's.

Keep up the great work!
xX sourMiLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:54 PM #26
Jettyboy
Life

Jettyboy is a Supporting Member
Jettyboy supports Cereal Killerz 2
Jettyboy helped look for balloons
Jettyboy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Dunno if it’s been mentioned yet but is there a game timer? Multiple times the players referenced running the clock and conceding to save time but there isn’t a game clock on screen. I kept feeling like I was missing something. Overall, it looks like a cool event but the footage isn’t what I expected based on how it was pitched initially. I thought it would be episodic, a little more polished, have some sort of commentary, and a storyline. That was the point of doing everything post event right? Also, it’s hard for me to care when all the sponsors and teams celebrated the winner right when it ended. Spoiled any drama or suspense leading up to the finals.
Jettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:07 PM #27
RainMan33

RainMan33 is a Professional paintball player
RainMan33 plays in the PSP
RainMan33 plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by (dr) View Post
I think a mix of the Astra broadcast and Gosports would do wonders for our sport. See my pros/cons comparing the two below:

Pros:
- Ability to hear the players was awesome

- Lack of same stories and repeated corny jokes over and over was nice

- Interaction between media and players on the fly was fun

- Overlay was done extremely well (player count, roster, etc.)

- Less repetitive ads (not your fault all pb advertising is corny and they like dubstep)

- Limited paint looked like it played out very well. I wish every league would standardize on this as it appears to force a more athletic play style.

Cons:
- Lack of field analysis. Similarly to what soulless does, I think this could be a regurgitated segment at the beginning of each episode, or perhaps a quick discussion with a member of each team prior to the match or even recorded after but without spoilers

- No TASTEFUL commentary. Hard to balance this one as a lot of the gosports commentary is just unnecessary talking for the sake of talking, but if you could balance the live player audio with some commentary that would be a huge win. I would think this would be easier post prod.

- No high camera angles. I think this is the biggest gap between gosports and astra and although it's probably the biggest cost difference in production challenges, I feel it's worth pointing out. A lot of the time it felt as if you were watching one side of the brick only.

- Change the damn bunker set. You aren't beholden to nxls poor choices that are redefining the game (obviously since you changed other stuff). The giant bricks really hurt your boots on the ground recording style

- Edit out the drama bs, not a good look for any outsiders. I know players love it and wanna hear how penalties flesh out and the *****ing after the fact but I doubt this works for newcomers.

All in all I think what Astra is doing is great for the sport and I hope you continue. This felt a lot more "close to the players". I'll try to do my part and watch/give constructive feedback and buy astra headbands.

Thank you Meter.
On the topic of commentary.
What were you thinking?
During the points?
Prior to the match?
After each point?
After each match?
We did talk about putting in audio of me breaking down the players that played well after each match.
Still may get added in to future episodes.

What would you like to see?
Old 09-02-2021, 07:23 AM #28
neweraballer76
40oz Casualty

neweraballer76 plays in the PSP
neweraballer76 supports Team VICIOUS
neweraballer76 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan33 View Post
What were you thinking?
During the points?
Prior to the match?
After each point?
After each match?
We did talk about putting in audio of me breaking down the players that played well after each match.

After each point to highlight any big moves and same for the match as a whole.

DIRTLIFE

SCORPIONS
neweraballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:02 AM #29
Slowmo_1

Slowmo_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Slowmo_1 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Slowmo_1 supports Ninja Paintball
Would love something like drone footage from above to show the whole field and where people are, especially showing big moves and such.
Slowmo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:23 PM #30
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 plays in the MiLP
midman112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONNYDR View Post
What's hilarious is they are doing absolutely nothing different than anyone else whos tried to make it 'watchable' in the past. Beating the same dead horse over and over and over, even after watching others try to do the same thing & failing countless times. Over what... a 20 year span?

PAINTBALL IS NOT WATCHABLE, ESPECIALLY TO AN OUTSIDER.

Once someone can grasp and conceptualize this crazy concept, they'll be able to spend all of their time, money and energy into getting more new people to show up and play, which is the ONLY thing that will ever be beneficial to the paintball industry.

YOU WILL NEVER DO THAT BY HAVING THEM WATCH A PAINTBALL YOUTUBE VIDEO OR WEBCAST. Media/ad's are 100% needed, but figure a way out that's different and actually attracts new people to it.

99% of people outside of pb are going to turn this off in a second. It still literally looks like people screaming stuff nobody can understand and twitching behind big inflatable things. Airsoft youtube videos are easier to swallow for christ sake. Solid job....
Throwing it back 16 years, I think when the NPPL championship was on ESPN that it was extremely well done. Commentary helped break down the rules, what the bunkers were and why those areas mattered, broke down the big moves, etc. This format revamped for today's market I think would do well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyNI0FIehk&t=16s
Pr1me Nick Hall #7
midman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:22 PM #31
notsuoh-alyat

A game clock and slow-mo of game-changing moves would be beneficial.

DALLASJETS

notsuoh-alyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:55 PM #32
Capt. Nitro
Master Of Disaster

I really like over shoulder shot of players esp from starting stations.
Who was it that did the test of shooting 4k with bright yellow paint shells to better show lanes and shooting?
Handling 4k files is obv a real workflow hassle but i'm curious how successful 4k filming combined with bright shelled paint would be at better showing some player's shooting lanes and gun fights. Esp in something that isn't streamed live.

>>> Graphic Designer and Gun for Hire <<<

Last edited by Capt. Nitro : 09-03-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Capt. Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:39 AM #33
Jettyboy
Life

Jettyboy is a Supporting Member
Jettyboy supports Cereal Killerz 2
Jettyboy helped look for balloons
Jettyboy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I thought these were coming out every Sunday?
Jettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:29 PM #34
RORplayer44

RORplayer44 is a Supporting Member
RORplayer44 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
RORplayer44 plays in the MiLP
hard to watch &#x2714;&#xfe0f;
cant see the paint &#x2714;&#xfe0f;
same old dying format &#x2714;&#xfe0f;

15k winning prize is the only thing different
Old 09-07-2021, 06:58 PM #35
(dr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan33 View Post
What were you thinking?
During the points?
Prior to the match?
After each point?
After each match?

I'm glad you asked.

- first off, I'd leave the live player audio during the point since the HUD is what I consider the gold standard for keeping track of bodies. 720 used to do a whole field hud as well, not sure how difficult or effective that would be. If you can't/don't want to do a hud to track bunkers due to display size, maybe just someone highlighting moves that aren't synced with the camera.

- at start of video: layout breakdown (my biggest want for a blind layout), some background on the teams/roster

- after each point: breakdown of what happened, what bunkers were played, replays with explanation/slow mo like discussed on PTG seems like a really good opportunity

- after each match: ya like you said just highlight what went on in general and what didn't work at a macro level. "this guy played good, their snake was weak, they pushed the center well"

The fact that yall are trying something different is a big deal and is very exciting for paintball. I hope you continue to play around with it and try new things. I think any time the game is NOT going is perfect for that color commentary that seems to be mixed in on gosports.

Thank you.
(dr) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:34 AM #36
gbk2

gbk2 is an NCPA National Champion
Would like to see better camera angles. Also, the small clips I watched, the camera moves off the player when they are making their moves. Moving players are THE ACTION.

Website only has luxury headbands for sale? astra.af doesnt have any information about the tournament?

Congratulations on a successfully run event. Not a small undertaking, and obviously an aspirational endeavor. Good luck to all involved
Old 09-08-2021, 03:36 PM #37
miguelcont96
MadMan Paintball

miguelcont96 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
miguelcont96 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
miguelcont96 plays in the APPA D4 division
miguelcont96 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
miguelcont96 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
SOOOO nice to see that front page active again

You WILL enjoy my YouTube Channel
miguelcont96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:37 PM #38
Shsp8baller
Yosh Designs

Shsp8baller has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Shsp8baller is a videographer
Second ep is out now!

Old 09-08-2021, 09:40 PM #39
comradexkcd

comradexkcd owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
comradexkcd owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
comradexkcd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shsp8baller View Post
Second ep is out now!

Big shout out to the highest paid podrunner in America!
Old 09-08-2021, 09:48 PM #40
.VM. (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midman112 View Post
Throwing it back 16 years, I think when the NPPL championship was on ESPN that it was extremely well done. Commentary helped break down the rules, what the bunkers were and why those areas mattered, broke down the big moves, etc. This format revamped for today's market I think would do well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyNI0FIehk&t=16s
throw it forward to now... no sight of paintball. it sure did great though
.VM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:30 AM #41
killer_ghost
Bafinity Options!

Spoilers ahead. Spoilers ahead. Spoilers ahead.

Random thoughts and constructive criticism as I watch:

- Great intro. Quick and simple explanation of the rules and a nice overhead view of the field. I know there's no overhead footage, so no point in crying about it, but I can at least visualize the field during the match now. As (dr) had mentioned before, breaking down the field would be nice.

- I think I like this HUD more than the previous one.

- I agree with the ref on the first penalty. No slo mo replay yet.

- I know you do the Mic'd up series, how difficult would it be to mic up both teams and then release 10 versions of the same video, with the difference being video 1 is only audio from X player, video 2 is audio from Y player, etc...? I'm thinking it's just take out the other 9 player's audio tracks, but idk. Only for a finals game, obviously not for every match in the tournament. Crazy idea and probably way too much work, but I just love that type of content lol.

- BIG fan of the highest paid pod runner in the country, possibly the world. Mans is inspirational. Save the pods, save the world.

- Probably another dumb idea that's too much work. As players get eliminated, and if there's footage, maybe show the elimination on a corner of the screen?

- Mic up the refs too. RIP to the ref @ 8:50. That would have been a good sound bite.

- Interviewing the coaches would have been cool too.

- Even though it's limited paint they still reload like they have a case on their backs. Hope to see a few points where teams are low on paint.

- The time remaining gets brought up again, but there is no clock on the screen. Was the time limit on games just to make sure teams played to 5 and they wouldn't just sit in their bunkers and let time run out?

- LVL guys seem cool. Wish we got some CEP interviews to get to know them and their thoughts a bit better.

- Nothing really negative to say. Love this ep too. Big fan of the experimental take on filming this.

Last edited by killer_ghost : 09-09-2021 at 12:34 AM.
killer_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:02 AM #42
gbk2

gbk2 is an NCPA National Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_ghost View Post
- I agree with the ref on the first penalty. No slo mo replay yet.
That's right. This is a teachable moment for the referee to interact with the player, but I noticed some sass from the ref, could be more courteous and let the player know it will be called consistently moving forward. As they say, You'll catch more flies with honey, being courteous to the players does make your day easier, even if they are disappointed with some calls they understand you're there for a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_ghost View Post
- Mic up the refs too. RIP to the ref @ 8:50. That would have been a good sound bite.
Earn that bread, ref

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.